Your expectations of this season?

J_XO

A lot of strong teams this season, very hard to predict. The smaller clubs have started to splash the PL money I wonder which one will be the surprise this season

Castia

Fight for top 4.

I have a feeling this season is gonna be a complete disaster, something doesn’t feel right.

ErranMorad

Title or second if Jose is up for it.

"A Mourinho season" if he sulks.

Can't wait. I am excited to see how it unfolds. It's going to he hell of a ride either way. Yeah, there are some questions about us but Spurs haven't strengthened, Sarri is new to the league and Emery is a cup manager. From the looks of it City and Liverpool will be our primary challengers. When was the last time that happened? Two of our biggest rivals and us going to the title. Giddy up!

Football!

redom

Grinding our way to a top 4 finish is what I see us doing, maybe an addition or two in January if we're struggling. Preseason hasn't given any hint that our approach is going to change so it would be a welcome surprise if we started to look more competent with the ball, especially in the big matches.

joedirt87

I'm leaning 70% meltdown, 30% chance of competing for the title. The team could take a big jump if Sanchez is in good form and if Pogba steps up, and there is good talent in the starting 11. Really need to get the 3 points and start off right. Mourinho moping about with a lack of transfers and dropping points at home to open the campaign is just a recipe to start the meltdown off in spectacular fashion.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think our prospects will all depend on Jose's mood. Games that used to a gimme might not be this season, they weren't last season either, because some of the teams have made some good signings and in WHU case have for once employed a good manager. I could see us having the kind of start we had last season, I am not too worried about Spurs at home. It will be interesting if we get another Liverpool type game when we face Chelsea in October and if it has the same effect on our season. Jose really needs to lighten up and the players also need to man up and earn their money. They are as bad as each other at times.

Last edited:

USREDEVIL

The mood is terrible. I expect that to affect our start although i think we'll take Leicester. 3rd place, behind City and Liverpool.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Even the most optimistic of people can’t possibly be thinking we have a chance of winning the league.

While Smalling, Young, Valencia and Lingard are first team players we just can’t compete with City and now Liverpool.

Really disappointing that we haven’t addressed these key areas and it feels like another torturous season lies ahead.

Dumbat12

Top 4, tbh. With the signings we got, that's all we could hope for.

manichester

Implosion through November and December with our usual defensive injury crisis, struggling to score goals and scraping through games.

Minimalist

My expectations haven’t really changed. Top four and most likely finish is 3rd/4th.

I’m hoping I’m wrong and we improve and actually challenge for the title.

d3vil

a very hard watch this year and we'll struggle for top 4

BaneIsPain

Between 3rd-4th,likely to be out of race in November/December.Really hope i’m wrong

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Can see us ending on around 75 points (so 3rd or 4th), getting through the group stages of the Champions League (I think quarter finals would be acceptable) and picking up/getting to the final of a domestic cup.

Not a bad season by any stretch of the imagination. But not sure if my expectations match what they really should be for a club like United. I think it'll be hard for Jose to improve on last season.

Honestly, I'd take 4th spot and nothing else if it meant playing football that didn't on more than a few occasions make me want to gauge out my eyes.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Marginally 2nd or comfortably 3rd in the league, quarter finals in the CL and the FA Cup, at least the semis in the League Cup.

Champagne Football

We have the squad to have a great season. Mourinho has had more backing than any Utd manager in history. Fred looks like he was the missing link. The only thing that can make this team have a horror season is if Jose wants out and down's tools because he didn't get the shiny new toys he wanted despite getting everything he could ever have wanted already.

ItDoesntEvenMata

Much the same expectations as last season really - hopeful that we should still be able to challenge for the title if City return in some way to normal league winning form. This squad is more than capable of hitting 85 points and taking points in the big games.

I think we could be a surprise package in Europe and in the knockout stages Mourinho has the wiliness to eek out results when needed. Same goes for the domestic cups.

Despite the lack of strengthening in some areas I'm still looking forward to the season - 2nd and a cup or two with a good run in Europe. Some more entertaining football would be nice - looking forward to seeing Alexis shine and Lukaku push on!

Toad

Think we will battle for top 4, good squad but wrong managerial tactics for me. We needed those signings for it to work for Mourinho but unfortunately even if he signed a trio of world beaters they would just get ruined. Top 4 fight for me

Woodenlung

There's no reason why United can't comfortably finish top 4. Our midfield and forwards are as good as any in the league and we've the best goalkeeper in the world. It's tactics ans stype of play that's holding is back. I would've liked a properly good centre half like Alderweireld. But we've a potentially excellent starting 11.

AndyJ1985

There's no reason why United can't comfortably finish top 4. Our midfield and forwards are as good as any in the league and we've the best goalkeeper in the world. It's tactics ans stype of play that's holding is back. I would've liked a properly good centre half like Alderweireld. But we've a potentially excellent starting 11.
Hmm yeah, as good as any in the league despite scoring the least amount of goals in the top 6...

Roboc7

Top four, probably not as comfortable as last season but I still expect us to finish third of fourth.

I expected this to be a season of transition rather than winning the title as thought we would have seen more players in and out. Feels like we have just postponed the inevitable transition for another season now, possibly even with a different manager.

Ciddy

With the lack of signings I’m most hopefully to some of the youth used this season. I don’t believe that players like Chong can’t be used this season. His build is more than enough and I’d rather see him among others given a chance than some of our supposed first team who in my eyes offer far less than players like him.

Karappa

Top 4 will be a struggle, important titles are out of reach - even more than last season. If Mourinho has a bad mood that infects the entire team it could take a nose-dive like Chelsea in his last season there. Something doesn't seem right at the club and if players like Pogba or Martial want away they will try to stir the pot even more... At best it will be a very challenging season, at worst it will be a season that necessitates a complete reset next summer...

Ludens the Red

Anyone who isn’t an idiot knows this team was a bit fortunate to finish 2nd last season and the football on display during the season didn’t merit a 2nd place finish. Whilst credit should be given for I guess being plucky. This shit doesn’t last, it catches up with you. It happened under LVG, we got away with it first season under him and we all know how the second year went.

For us to have signed one player after last season is beyond stupid. Especially after Liverpool’s strengthening.
To be brutally honest I’d take 4th right now. I don’t think this team is together with the manager at the moment and we saw how badly we ended last season. You can’t just turn a switch and expect everything to start working.
I expect a 5th place finish and domestic cup runs but it’s a struggle to picture anything better.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Best case scenario, third place and success in a cup competition.

Worst case scenario, sixth place finish and no CL football next year.

Strong possibility that we're looking for a new manager at the end of the season.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
A long, painful, frustrating slog of a season.

I don’t for one second see us challenging for the league. Not because of quality of the squad, but because of the negative way in which the team will be set up.

We are a much much better team than we showed last season. Mourinho needs to step up just as much as our squad.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I don't think we have enough to compete against Liverpool and City, so my expectations would be top 4.

ericking

Id bite your hand off for fourth right now.
I'd give my right hand for 4th right now! We should do a deal.

4th, on goal difference, with a scouse league win. I'd take that right now if offered.

Pavl3n

Thinking of the new season, I'd rather take a very positive approach, you could even call it dreaming, yet I'll try to be realistic.

Keeping in mind transfer window across Europe is still open, some has to be clarified. Will we see Martial or Pogba leave? Who else will leave? But I'd lay my expectations based on the squad as of now.

What is there to be excited about? Anything we should look forward to? I believe yes.
Even if Mourinho is still the manager and we shouldn't have very high hopes of seeing exciting football with fans roaring until their voices are gone, the changes in the assistant coach set up are what gives a fresh breath of hope. Would McKenna and Carrick have influence on tactics and the way we approach games? I certainly hope so.

Sanchez, Pogba, Lingard, Fred, Rashford, Shaw, Lindelof, Pereira and Dalot. That's nearly an entire starting eleven. These are the players that IMO will step up or bring something to the team that we've been missing.
With regards Dalot, we could only speculate what is he going to bring, however the only 5 min reel I watched on YouTube made him look very promising, even if those videos could be quite misleading.
Fred and Pereira are two names that I'm looking forward to see how they fit in the team. I'm suspecting we'll be lining mostly with 3 midfielders, whether that will be a 433 or a 352/532.
Now we all have discussed Pogba's best position, best role and how to get best out of him, leading to conclusions that he is most effective when he has more freedom to go forward and has less defensive responsibilities. Following that thought, shall we line up with Pogba-Matic-Fred, the belief is Pogba will be able to get that free roam/get forward role, which made him so effective when he was in Juventus.
Still, that thought could well be opposed with the simple example of his role during this WC in the French team. Deschamp only let him get forward towards the end of the game and for the majority of his playing time Pogba had a strict position which is similar to what he was tasked with during last season. However, my general belief is Fred will be able to slot in very well in a midfield trio with Pogba and Matic, benefiting our transition from defense to attack.
Pereira on the other hand, who in my opinion is typical #8 and could possibly be a very good back up option. He'll most likely get minutes during the first 4 games. This pre season he looked mature, he looked like he's stepped up and that extra year on loan at Valencia has benefited him exactly the way he has hoped to.

Shaw is another interesting case. I am on his side and have hoped ever since that horrific injury that he'll manage to turn it around somehow. Honestly - I'm getting tired of hoping he would. Every season we say that's he make it or break it season and every season he gets criticized or someone else gets in the team ahead of him - Blind, Darmian. Well, Blind is gone and Darmian seems set to leave by the end of August, leaving us only with Young and Shaw. As much as I'm content with watching Young at left back, I still see quite a lot of opportunities for Shaw to get consistent game time and make a case for himself. With that being said and keeping in mind that Luke would also get more opportunities during the first 4 games of the season, this is definitely his make it or break it chance. Which if he makes it - we finally get what we invested in, if he doesn't we would have a clear picture - Young is our only LB option and we can't postpone getting top quality LB. The feeling of "these guys would do the job" should definitely be gone by next summer.

Lingard and Rashford. Lingard was important player for England during the WC and I must say I was quite impressed with his progress during last season. He scored important goals, made assists and has evolved. However during the WC, not sure if it's because team's strategy or just him, he lacked end product. He looked good in the middle of the park, but once he was near the penalty area, he looked short of ideas. I would like to see improvements from him in that aspects.
And with regards Rashford - the lad is not even legal to have a beer in some countries. Bags of potential, but his progress has been a bit slow in the past 12 months. Yes, he has achieved a lot and is someone you could trust more than who he was 2 and half years ago. Still has a lot of work to do, but I'm very eager to see him hit double figures of combined goals and assists in the league. I hope his progress picks up and he'll become more reliable in front of goal, even if that happens at the later stages of the season.

Lindelof has had a good WC and should boost his confidence. I wish he could also step his game and become what he was brought to become.

And last but not least Alexis Sanchez.
Took him a while to find his feet. But, he missed the WC, had his vacation, has been with the team for the pre season from nearly day one and looked in great form. Him and Lukaku are players who should be scoring 20+ goals in the league. I have no doubts in Lukaku, as he's been steadily improving through the years and Sanchez is just pure class and his bad form for us was a one off thing. I am certain we will see a lot of goals and assists from him.

Our transfer window turned bad towards the end. Started well with Dalot and Fred, but RW and CB would've given the team a lot of confidence and bring balance to the squad, especially a RW addition. Like I mentioned earlier, I am content with the team's decision to address LB in one of the next two windows.

End of the day we finished second last season, however it feels like that's the most we could've achieved. A year on and I see a lot of players who have improved over the course of last season, but should keep getting better and our success lies in their hands. If we don't see improvements from the names I mentioned above, I don't see us getting in top 4. But if all of them do, we should be fighting for the title along with City, Liverpool and Chelsea.