Your Hidden Gems or under the radar - Wanted Signings

Brightonian

Imagine oppo managers working out their attacking strategies not knowing if we're going to field Martinez (5'9") or Toure (6'8") at LCB.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Tosin Adarabioyo
Apparently will be out of contract in the Summer..

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Tosin Adarabioyo
Apparently will be out of contract in the Summer..
Jesus Christ. ‘Raw’ doesn’t cover it.

50% cultured clearances that are passes to a team mate.

50% triangle footed guess-shaped swings/hoofs.

Could be a player if someone coaches the insanity and rashness out of him.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Superb in the air and a decent reading of the game, but not sure about the rest of his qualities. I think it’s push to say he is United quality, but I haven’t paid a ton of attention to him for that long. I think one of the issues is that he’s going to want to play wherever he goes, and I’m not sure he could be considered good enough to be a starter for us.

Donut

Sounds like Bailly without the turtle heading.

Onerealunited

He very much reminds of Bailly. I liked Bailly so it is not negative meant but I don't think it is the type that we need right now. I do not know Adarabioyo at all and have not watched anyting of him except the Youtube video above and to be honest he doesnt look like United quality in that video. He is too raw and most of his interceptions are not controlled. I would be afraid to sign him, even if it is on a free, as I do not think he would strengthen our team. Also, I believe we should only get players in to strengthen the startign 11 and then the players that previously played could act as backup (or fight for their spot)

daba

He very much reminds of Bailly. I liked Bailly so it is not negative meant but I don't think it is the type that we need right now. I do not know Adarabioyo at all and have not watched anyting of him except the Youtube video above and to be honest he doesnt look like United quality in that video. He is too raw and most of his interceptions are not controlled. I would be afraid to sign him, even if it is on a free, as I do not think he would strengthen our team. Also, I believe we should only get players in to strengthen the startign 11 and then the players that previously played could act as backup (or fight for their spot)
I tend to agree that generally we should always be aiming to sign players with the view that they genuinely challenge for a 1st spot.

However with Varane probably leaving on a free and the rest of our CBs bar Martinez unable to play a high line and also rumoured to be up for sale I think getting someone in on a free would help us a lot. Adarabioyo can play a high line, is a decent box defender and if good enough on the ball, so if we can get him in on a free on probably 1/3 of Varane’s wages that would be good business.

It would free up funds to really revitalise our defence but also other areas of the team. Also the beauty with a free transfer is that if it doesn’t work out for whatever reason we should still be able to make a nice profit on him regardless.

Ekeke

The video isnt very good. Its a strange one to make with plenty of miskicks etc. The reality is our CBs do the same thing its just if someone made a video of them they would cut them out. He's a better CB than any of them have been this season other than Maguire

Ekeke

He's much more relaxed than Bailly. If anything he might be too relaxed at times and not be that front footed aggressive defender we lack without Lisandro. Taller by 9 cms as he's a very tall 196 cm or 6'4. He's actually fit and playing most weeks so he isnt injured all the time. The only thing I would say they are comparible with is that he's quick like Bailly.

He's more like Smalling. Tall and strong in the air, fast but more composed on the ball and can bring the ball out or pass it about with a bit more imagination. He probably wont be lining up for Barcelona or Real Madrid but he's a perfectly good premier league CB for a team trying to level up and get towards City and Liverpool. Someone is getting a £25-30 million player for free this summer at 26 years old.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
Nico Paz (19, 1.86) attacking midfielder, player of Real Madrid B. Left footed. A player with a lot of attacking power in the box.

Nico Paz Youyube

aeh1991

Ayman Kari - young CM/DM, 1.76, France U20 NT player, plays for Lorient on loan from PSG.

He's been very promising for Lorient this season, and is linked with a move to BVB. Might be a good rotational option to Mainoo.
His contract with PSG runs out in 2025 and they are known to let go of their talents (Diaby, Nkunku, Maignan, etc). Could be available for under 10m.

Borninthe80ts

He's much more relaxed than Bailly. If anything he might be too relaxed at times and not be that front footed aggressive defender we lack without Lisandro. Taller by 9 cms as he's a very tall 196 cm or 6'4. He's actually fit and playing most weeks so he isnt injured all the time. The only thing I would say they are comparible with is that he's quick like Bailly.

He's more like Smalling. Tall and strong in the air, fast but more composed on the ball and can bring the ball out or pass it about with a bit more imagination. He probably wont be lining up for Barcelona or Real Madrid but he's a perfectly good premier league CB for a team trying to level up and get towards City and Liverpool. Someone is getting a £25-30 million player for free this summer at 26 years old.
It was Smalling I thought of when watching him. Looks a bit awkward on the ball due to their frame I think but probably better eye test would have you believe.

I actually liked Chris and thought he was judged harshly at times and probably suffered from a lack of confidence than anything else. This guy has the same physical nature and ability to just defend. Right place and just get rid of it sometimes.

We could lose 3 central defenders and he could be a good rotation option depending on the opposition. For free it’s a no brainer for me.

Ekeke

It was Smalling I thought of when watching him. Looks a bit awkward on the ball due to their frame I think but probably better eye test would have you believe.

I actually liked Chris and thought he was judged harshly at times and probably suffered from a lack of confidence than anything else. This guy has the same physical nature and ability to just defend. Right place and just get rid of it sometimes.

We could lose 3 central defenders and he could be a good rotation option depending on the opposition. For free it’s a no brainer for me.
Yeah. At the time when Smalling was here there werent many CBs around who are tall and fast. Usually you have the tall CBs who are a bit slow and the small CBs who are faster. Despite what was said on here or elsewhere Smalling is fine on the ball, he just isnt someone who is going to start off your team moves with a high quality pass. He's going to keep it simple and keep the ball moving and not take chances. The real players you dont want at CB are those that think they can always play their way out of pressure but arent as good as they think they are. The ones who have a mistake in them every game and will try to be too clever with a pass square across the pitch that can be cut out, or a pass to a teammate not expecting it because it was a more complicated pass than it needed to be. Or will dribble the ball and they have a poor touch and now the opposition are on the attack. Smalling didnt do any of that and thats why he worked.

Back to the tall and fast thing - Its one of the features that makes Van Dijk great. Obviously he also has the other side of things in that he's comfortable on the ball and is good enough to start passing moves himself. But if he just had that part and not the tall and fast part I think he'd be half the player in the premier league. As I said before Tosin is more comfortable on the ball than Smalling, he can bring the ball out and is has a bit more vision than Smalling. He doesn't have that side of the game to the level of Van Dijk obviously. And thats why he isnt as good but 99% of CBs arent as good so thats not a problem. I think he's better with than ball than Varane and probably the same level as Lindelof, Maguire and Evans who all have their areas and bits of play where they are good on the ball but arent players who have a real impact with the ball every game like Lisandro has the potential to be and some CBs do for their teams.

I think if Lisandro is unavailable then Tosin and Maguire would be fine together but if playing the ball out of the back is our focus then theres still lots of room for improvement. Lisandro can do it but its not a strength for the rest of them and Tosin is no different. So we might go for someone else who's strong point is playing the ball out from the back and the actual defending takes a back seat to that. Someone like Van Hecke at Brighton who is learning to take over from Dunk or another player used to getting plenty of the ball and playing in a system which does well playing out from the back. That has been ETH's plan A so far and its changed a bit because of Lisandro's unavailability and the unsuitable replacements we have to play the same way without him. And my feeling is a manager will always go back to plan A when it comes to transfer windows and any chance he has to do it because thats what he believes in the most.

Borninthe80ts

Yeah. At the time when Smalling was here there werent many CBs around who are tall and fast. Usually you have the tall CBs who are a bit slow and the small CBs who are faster. Despite what was said on here or elsewhere Smalling is fine on the ball, he just isnt someone who is going to start off your team moves with a high quality pass. He's going to keep it simple and keep the ball moving and not take chances. The real players you dont want at CB are those that think they can always play their way out of pressure but arent as good as they think they are. The ones who have a mistake in them every game and will try to be too clever with a pass square across the pitch that can be cut out, or a pass to a teammate not expecting it because it was a more complicated pass than it needed to be. Or will dribble the ball and they have a poor touch and now the opposition are on the attack. Smalling didnt do any of that and thats why he worked.

Back to the tall and fast thing - Its one of the features that makes Van Dijk great. Obviously he also has the other side of things in that he's comfortable on the ball and is good enough to start passing moves himself. But if he just had that part and not the tall and fast part I think he'd be half the player in the premier league. As I said before Tosin is more comfortable on the ball than Smalling, he can bring the ball out and is has a bit more vision than Smalling. He doesn't have that side of the game to the level of Van Dijk obviously. And thats why he isnt as good but 99% of CBs arent as good so thats not a problem. I think he's better with than ball than Varane and probably the same level as Lindelof, Maguire and Evans who all have their areas and bits of play where they are good on the ball but arent players who have a real impact with the ball every game like Lisandro has the potential to be and some CBs do for their teams.

I think if Lisandro is unavailable then Tosin and Maguire would be fine together but if playing the ball out of the back is our focus then theres still lots of room for improvement. Lisandro can do it but its not a strength for the rest of them and Tosin is no different. So we might go for someone else who's strong point is playing the ball out from the back and the actual defending takes a back seat to that. Someone like Van Hecke at Brighton who is learning to take over from Dunk or another player used to getting plenty of the ball and playing in a system which does well playing out from the back. That has been ETH's plan A so far and its changed a bit because of Lisandro's unavailability and the unsuitable replacements we have to play the same way without him. And my feeling is a manager will always go back to plan A when it comes to transfer windows and any chance he has to do it because thats what he believes in the most.
I agree that there are definitely stereotypes that we apply without realising and thus judged players through those lenses. Smalling for me was a good passer when he first came to United as was Phil Jones. I remember a game against Barca in pre season where he played a pass that made my jaw drop. He definitely became more conservative due to criticism and as you say had a good keep it simple game too. I think a lack of movement and good positioning from midfielders too affected teams in this era and thus when defenders took chances the effects we worse. This is why Martinez is so important on.

I think the profile you mentioned is rare in a defender, maybe it’s a coordination thing but when you have that combo it generally means you will be of the elite level. All our central defenders of the last few years have lacked at least one of these traits and their partner doesn’t compensate so we have the issues that we have now. Tosin can carry the ball better than Smalling which I think was probably his biggest flaw but even then it was more a panic issue than a lack of skills. For me he would be a good 2/3 choice for where we are currently but would drop down to 4th if we get in real quality and players develop.

As I mentioned in the previous paragraph and as you highlighted too there has been a lack of consistency in the starting duo and the spine of the team in general which has effectively hindered the progress we make in small areas. The calmness and stability which Martinez brings means his almost like a midfielder at times and I’m looking for this type of player. Someone mentioned Edson Alvarez and I liked what I saw of him at Ajax but not seen much this season. Not really hidden but a good alternative. Scalvini seems to have potential and can step up into midfield too.

SambaBoy

I agree that there are definitely stereotypes that we apply without realising and thus judged players through those lenses. Smalling for me was a good passer when he first came to United as was Phil Jones. I remember a game against Barca in pre season where he played a pass that made my jaw drop. He definitely became more conservative due to criticism and as you say had a good keep it simple game too. I think a lack of movement and good positioning from midfielders too affected teams in this era and thus when defenders took chances the effects we worse. This is why Martinez is so important on.

I think the profile you mentioned is rare in a defender, maybe it’s a coordination thing but when you have that combo it generally means you will be of the elite level. All our central defenders of the last few years have lacked at least one of these traits and their partner doesn’t compensate so we have the issues that we have now. Tosin can carry the ball better than Smalling which I think was probably his biggest flaw but even then it was more a panic issue than a lack of skills. For me he would be a good 2/3 choice for where we are currently but would drop down to 4th if we get in real quality and players develop.

As I mentioned in the previous paragraph and as you highlighted too there has been a lack of consistency in the starting duo and the spine of the team in general which has effectively hindered the progress we make in small areas. The calmness and stability which Martinez brings means his almost like a midfielder at times and I’m looking for this type of player. Someone mentioned Edson Alvarez and I liked what I saw of him at Ajax but not seen much this season. Not really hidden but a good alternative. Scalvini seems to have potential and can step up into midfield too.
He's been very good for West Ham, but he's been playing DM every time I've seen him.

I also agree with the Smalling points, his ability on the ball wasn't too bad. There was even a time where he was doing well at RB in the Fergie years.

Last edited:

Borninthe80ts

He's been very good for West Ham, but he's been playing DM every time I've seen him.

I also agree with the Smalling points, his ability on the ball wasn't too bad. There was even a time where he was doing well at RB in the Fergie years.
Thanks for the information update. Not surprised that he plays there for them, he did a lot for Ajax too. I’m sure I’ve seen games where he and Martinez interchanged under Ten Hag so he would be used to this already.

I think people jump on the bandwagon a lot and perception becomes reality. Like Evans, he probably shouldn’t have left. Hindsight though right?

NoPace

Real are linked with Yoro and Mastantuono by Marca today, they're shaping their squad really well.
It's annoying how well run they are. They have advantages, but the cannier stuff like getting Camavina running down his contract for 30M and the Brighton-y stuff like getting Valverde (seemingly on the strength of his Uruguay U-17 games?) is annoying. They also seem to only commit 1 Hazard for every 2 Sancho/Antony on our parts.

The-Mezzala

Any Swedish or Bundisliga experts on here rate Hugo Larsson ? Could be a cheaper option to a Neves for example.

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's annoying how well run they are. They have advantages, but the cannier stuff like getting Camavina running down his contract for 30M and the Brighton-y stuff like getting Valverde (seemingly on the strength of his Uruguay U-17 games?) is annoying. They also seem to only commit 1 Hazard for every 2 Sancho/Antony on our parts.
They’ve shifted from Galacticos to teen titans and it’s worked a treat for them.

Redivy

Eli Junior Kroupi

Young French 17 year old playing for Lorient. He can play as an attacking mid or up front, but I think he eventually will become a very good link-up striker. He has a really good shot, and has good movement.

I'd love for us to sign him and loan him back to Lorient. One of those smart deals we could make.

Reactions: BenitoSTARR

daba

Eli Junior Kroupi

Young French 17 year old playing for Lorient. He can play as an attacking mid or up front, but I think he eventually will become a very good link-up striker. He has a really good shot, and has good movement.

I'd love for us to sign him and loan him back to Lorient. One of those smart deals we could make.
Or maybe the type of signing Nice could be looking to make. If they can start to regularly have European football paired with their link to us they should become a very attractive option in Ligue 1.

Redivy

Or maybe the type of signing Nice could be looking to make. If they can start to regularly have European football paired with their link to us they should become a very attractive option in Ligue 1.
It is definitely a good option to have Nice there. City have done the same thing with Savio being signed to their French club and then loaned to Girona, but then moving to City this year in July.

Kroupi is a big talent and Nice would really benefit from having a player like that for a few years.

Oranges038

Not really an under the radar signing.

But I've been looking out for the Wharton lately, that kid can play and he has a great range quality of passing, he's got that radar like vision at times, brilliant first touch and he just has that third eye awareness of his surroundings on the pitch.

I'm sure everyone at the top clubs is taking an interest in this kid, but he'd be on my list for the summer.

M16Red

Not really an under the radar signing.

But I've been looking out for the Wharton lately, that kid can play and he has a great range quality of passing, he's got that radar like vision at times, brilliant first touch and he just has that third eye awareness of his surroundings on the pitch.

I'm sure everyone at the top clubs is taking an interest in this kid, but he'd be on my list for the summer.
He has just moved?

Oranges038

He has just moved?
Yeah, but he's taken to the PL quite quickly. He's a talented kid, Smalling was signed off Fulham after a handful of games since his move from Maidstone.

He might not be able to move until 2025, but I'd be in for him at the first opportunity.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Hudson-Odoi could be a very smart signing considering Forests need to sell.

I think he's on track to get back to the level of talent he was as an 18 year old, but flying under the radar a bit while people focus on Gibbs white.

Zed is not dead

Maybe not hidden, but I always felt like we fail to tap into Ligue 1 players, who usually adapt quite well to English football.

In terms of offensive profiles, Desire Doue, Maghnes Akliouche and Amine Gouiri are very talented

OleGunnar20

Maybe not hidden, but I always felt like we fail to tap into Ligue 1 players, who usually adapt quite well to English football.

In terms of offensive profiles, Desire Doue, Maghnes Akliouche and Amine Gouiri are very talented
I've liked Gouiri for a few years though at 24 I'm not sure if he's quite going to make it at the top level.

Very tidy player though and I'm sure he'd make a useful squad player - maybe a decent rotation option with Hojlund ?

Zed is not dead

I've liked Gouiri for a few years though at 24 I'm not sure if he's quite going to make it at the top level.

Very tidy player though and I'm sure he'd make a useful squad player - maybe a decent rotation option with Hojlund ?
He stalled a bit in his progression but this season with Rennes he looks like he got a lot more mature in his game.

It seems to me like he’s playing more like a 10 or left winger this season however

OleGunnar20

He stalled a bit in his progression but this season with Rennes he looks like he got a lot more mature in his game.

It seems to me like he’s playing more like a 10 or left winger this season however
Ah fair enough, glad to hear he's kicked on. I haven't watched anything other than United this last couple of years so am clueless outside of the PL.

His attitude looks pretty good right? I'd like to see Rashford and Sancho moved on personally, in which case there'd be room for a left winger of his style. Bruno doesn't seem as much of a no brainer at #10 these days either.

bucky

Mateus Fernandes, playing for Estoril, on loan from Sporting. Seems a very talented midfielder, only 19 years old and ticks a lot of boxes. Good passing, creative, excellent workrate out of possession and also a decent dribbler.