Your memories of United v Liverpool

Johnno

With our match against Liverpool on the horizon, what are some of your memories of United v Liverpool matches down the ages, good or bad?
For me, this is the biggest football event in England and it is my own personal Auld Firm or Boca v River.
Growing up in Manchester as a United fan in the eighties and nineties, there was nothing bigger or more important probably in my life at the time than to beat Liverpool, especially pre-1993. I know many Reds these days consider Arsenal, Chelsea or even City as bigger games, but traditionally there are none more so than us against these scummy cnuts.
Looking back to when I was eight or nine, Liverpool had been the major force for well over a decade by then so their superiority was all I’d ever known. TV was inundated with Scousers on TV in the form of Brookside and Bread. Cilla Black was the main television hostess with Surprise, Surprise and Blind Date. Yes, Scousers were everywhere.
Losing to the Mickey Mousers was common place in the 1980’s with a few minor insignificant victories in terms of league placement to show. The first win over Liverpool I really remember was in the 1988-89 season when we beat them 3-1 in the League Cup after being a goal down. They were reigning champions, but they were blown away by a special performance by Wiganite Russell Beardsmore, who created two and scored one himself from the right-wing, with Lee Sharpe storming down the left. Hughes and McClair were both on form and we blew them away.
A couple of seasons later, we played them early on in the season and they were again reigning champions of England. It was September 1990, and I watched on TV as they hammered us 4-0 with Beardsley grabbed a hat-trick and Barnes got the other. I was devastated to the point of almost tears, but the main thing I really remember from that match was all the United fans singing “We’ll support you ever more” despite the crushing defeat to the point even Brian Moore commented on the pride and passion of the United supporters. I wish I could find the footage of that on You Tube or something to show to theose who accuse United fans of being fickle.
Anyone got any similar memories?

Saints RL MUFC

Mine are all relatively fresh, some glorious, some painful. When I was living down south, all the children of the old Liverpool glory fans surrounded me, and all the glory hunting reds fans couldn't comprehend why I disliked Liverpool. Non of them on either side got it, because they hadn't felt the passion properly. The passion of being there, when OGS slotted that ball away in 99, disappointment of the Danny Murphy goal, and the sheer intensity of the atmosphere. This really is (as Ian Brown sang) the one. British football is defined by two derbies, the Old Firm (religious reasons) and this one (economic reasons).

surf

1977 cup final. We won to deny them the double. Doc's team was great to watch.
Carragher's 2 goals for us in the first half at Anfield. What a spaz.
O'Shea's winner last season.
And many others.

Johnno

1977 cup final. We won to deny them the double. Doc's team was great to watch.
Carragher's 2 goals for us in the first half at Anfield. What a spaz.
O'Shea's winner last season.
And many others.
Was actually the Treble mate, Liverpool went on to win the European Cup that year too. Instead we did it 22 years later, the only team still to do it.

Reflectorboy

Future friend of the first team
FA Cup Final, awesome goal by Cantona
Forlan demolishing them
A game where we beat them 2-0 at home I think, Ronaldo played in it
and of course O'Shea scoring the last minute goal :D
bad memories?the times when houllier was managing Liverpool, we lost a couple of times. I can remember that we conceded a lot of goals from free kicks at that time. that was horrible

Johnno

Remember that match we lost 2-0 I think it was when Gerrard scored a screamer past Barthez and Fowler got the other one? I watched that in Cheers Bar in Sydney and it was full of Dirties with a spattering of United in there to keep me company. As the bar is on George St, there is always loads of Asian kids hanging about the bars and those amusement arcades where they play them daft games where you have to dance to win or whatever, anyway, this Chinese kid had a Scouse shirt on with ‘Hillsborough’ and ‘96’ on the back of it, and there were Scouse backpackers patting him on the back for it. The game was horrible, the Scousers were loving it, I lost it after one too many chants of ‘Munich’ and gave it back to one of the cnuts and ended up fighting with one of them with a few other getting a few snide digs in at me, but at least I gave the scumbag a few good slaps. It was a horrible, horrible night.

Muckamore Red

A couple that have been mentioned as well as FA Cup 5th round 1999, 1-0 down most of the match 2 minutes of normal time left and we score twice, f**king fantastic

sutty

Has been dreaming of LFC winning the league since
I was at everyone of the games mentioned thus far except 77 and 80 and the 99 FA cup game

There's loads of memories some good, some bad.

It's also the fixture where I've seen most violence - but obviously I see the fighting at OT rather than Anfield.

Carling cup final was good for me. As was the game in the mid 90s when Fowler scored a couple, one from a free kick that put Schmeichel on his arse.

I was there in 97ish when Owen got sent off at OT having scored an equaliser and we held on for the point. Memorable mostly for the monumental kick off outside the ground with mancs throwing bottles and bricks at us as we left.

Riise's freekick in the game we won 3-1 which was great at the time, but has now resulted in us still, so 6 years later, unsuccessfully shifting it to him for him to smash over the bar/into the wall.

Reckon I've been to 40 odd liverpool united games now.

Tribec

The Beardsmore game was exceptional, it was from there his career sort of nose dived at United. He shone as brightly as anything before him, but could never match the quality of that game.

Both 79 and 85 cup semi final replays, where they thought they'd beat us easily in the replay, I can still hear the description of Greenhoff's header, for the winning goal in 79.... Being at the 85 replay was special, Sparky doing what came naturally to any United player at that time, a bit of Scouse busting.

The 99 cup game, what more can be said, it was the prelude to another famous last minute come back, and yes the treble was sweet, still is... but when ever I see Ole's goal against them in the last minute it still gives me goose bumps. For those who were there, that day. You may remember a certain full back, running the length of the pitch to taunt even more Dippers than he did a couple of years ago, prompting them to rip the seats out and throwing them onto the pitch, Big Pete was not impressed.

The 3-3 comeback game at Anfield, if only for Norman's scouse busting and Strachan's celebration. O'Shea last year was quality, but at the moment, whilst beating them is still important and huge, it's lost some of the fizz since we starting winning the league again. We are no longer the underdogs and that alters the meaning of lots of these "big" games these days, they aren't the same as they was back in the day.

MUFCgal

Our fixtures against Liverpool are always the first I look for when the matches are first confirmed. Some great memories I have from games against them are:

Cantona's goal in 96' FA Cup final, absolutely fantastic goal.
Our match against them in the FA Cup in the treble season, was it the 4th or 5th round? Solskjaer scored that magical goal in the last minute to keep the Treble dream alive, the celebrations were unbelievable and the commentator screaming 'SOLSKJAERRRRR'!! will forever stick in my mind.
I remember the game where we won at Anfield a few seasons back, can't remember the score but Rooney scored and went to the Kop with fingers to his ears as if to say 'what you gonna say now'??
And of course, up to the present day - Sheasy's goal at the Kop end in the 90th minute, I near had a heart attack from celebrating that goal, I've never screamed so hard in my life.

Fuengirola Red

also being in "The Tunnel" Stretford End when Peter Davenport lobbed Grobbelaar for a 1-0 win , I can remember grobbelaar coming out for the second half in front of the Stretford End and getting all sorts of objects thrown at him

Dyslexic Untied

When Rio scored with the late header.

I remember watching at a pub in Oslo. They had about twenty different tv`s in there spread all around the area. Some were showing the game through Canal+ and some were showing it on Sky. I remember this because the TV I was seeing it on was a Canal + broadcast. And at the moment the corner was struck I heard a cries of joy from the area of the pub who saw it on Sky, because their broadcast was a couple of seconds before ours. That little second where I knew that we had scored, but still hadn`t seen it is probably one of the happiest I`ve ever had.

Don16

Annoying cnut
My earliest memory is when I was about 7

Anfield

Pallister scored twice. Great fecking times.

Rio last minute

DIEEEGOOOOO

Silvestre x 2

John O Shea

Olé in 1999

klebersomeone

With our match against Liverpool on the horizon, what are some of your memories of United v Liverpool matches down the ages, good or bad?

Losing to the Mickey Mousers was common place in the 1980’s with a few minor insignificant victories in terms of league placement to show.
I dunno what you are on about there, we had an exceptional record against Liverpool all through the 80's under both Atkinson and Fergie - it was a rare event that we actually lost!

Back to the subject at hand - My own worst memories against them were the 1983 League cup final defeat and the 2-0 loss to end our title hopes at the end of the 1992 season.

I don't really recall very well games from the 70's but the great memories far outweigh the bad ones since I can remember;
80's
Albiston and Moran getting the goals in a 2-1 win at Anfield back in the 81/82season
1985 Cup Semi replay at Maine Rd
Coming back to get the 3-3 draw at Anfield in 1988
3-1 win at OT on New Years day 89
90's
2-1 Win at anfield in 1993 title winning season
1996 Cup Final
A string of games when we always seemed to win 3-1
My personal favourite is the late comeback in the 4th round tie at OT in 1999
00's
Diego woah oh
4-0 hammering on the run in to the 2003 title
Rio's late late show
Last season'e home win was good and O'Se's winner at anfield was a title clincher...

Jasus when you look at that list, it's no wonder the cnuts hate us!

gerrydaly

Praying to have a guy on top of him
Some of them:

Winning 4-1 at Anfield in 69 - I listened on the radio.

Ted MacDougal scoring in a 2-0 win in 72.

'77 FAC Final

Arthur Albiston scoring the last minute winner at Anfield. I was playing football and got so excited when I heard Albiston ha scored, I ended up breaking my shoulder in a clash with the goalkeeper.

Crying at the '83 League Cup Final (lost 2-1)

Jimmy Greenhoff - 1-0 in te FAC SF replay '79

Jimmy Greenhoff -Scored on his first match back, having retired due to injury earlier in the season - 2-0 '79-'80

Sonny Feehan

This one is from pre-hatred times when Liverpool were in the 2nd div.and we beat them 3-1 at Anfield in the cup. I was in the Kop cheering for United. No problem in those days. Bobby Charlton 2 and Warren Bradley scored. I seem to remember they had some sort of childrens or family enclosure in one corner and it was like a cageful of monkeys.

Tibs

Its not football related directly, but before I joined this forum, I remember a thread called,

"Words you don't associate with scousers"

You know, things like honesty, trustworthy, polite, pleasant, and hardworking...that thread was the funniest in the history of this board I reckon

Crumpsall Red

Best ever memory - the 1979 Semi final replay at Goodison. Awsome night the fans were fantastic, we turned Goodison into OT for the night. There were thousands of us singing on the East Lancs road as we made our way back to the cars. Lou Macari said that he'd never been so proud to have those fans behind the team.

Crumpsall Red

This one is from pre-hatred times when Liverpool were in the 2nd div.and we beat them 3-1 at Anfield in the cup. I was in the Kop cheering for United. No problem in those days. Bobby Charlton 2 and Warren Bradley scored. I seem to remember they had some sort of childrens or family enclosure in one corner and it was like a cageful of monkeys.
I remember the kids enclosure, Everton had one too. Weird! It was exactly like a cage.

MufcAgs23

I remember Scholes was always the most passionate on the pitch. He shall be missed Sunday.

RemiMoses

The 3-1 win that Johnno mentions was a league game (new years day 1989). There was a 3-1 league cup win in October 1990 when Sparky scored a screamer past Grobelaar. Speaking of Hughsey, anyone remember the 1992 game at OT when he scored a diving header in the last minute to get a 2-2 draw after we'd been 2-0 down. he got the first one too. In the return game we beat them 2-1, McClair getting the winner and Schmeichel making a terrific save from Hutchison.

Sam

One that I remember distinctly was a few years back when Forlan scored 2 and Barthez made that wonder save from Hamann in the last few moments of the match.Obviously that result sticks out for the Dudek error and the Forlan double, but for me, I'll always remember that match for the Barthez save, simply amazing.

klebersomeone

The 3-1 win that Johnno mentions was a league game (new years day 1989). There was a 3-1 league cup win in October 1990 when Sparky scored a screamer past Grobelaar. Speaking of Hughsey, anyone remember the 1992 game at OT when he scored a diving header in the last minute to get a 2-2 draw after we'd been 2-0 down. he got the first one too. In the return game we beat them 2-1, McClair getting the winner and Schmeichel making a terrific save from Hutchison.
Great goal that, in front of an empty Stretty End as it was under construction..

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
Wasn't that when ugly Ian Rush scored against us for the first time after failing to do so for some 10 years? cnut!