Your memories of United v Liverpool

Johnno

Wasn't that when ugly Ian Rush scored against us for the first time after failing to do so for some 10 years? cnut!
No mate, he scored against us for the first time in the previous season when they beat us 2-0 to hand the title to Leeds, my worst ever moment in football and maybe even my life, sounds daft but I was in bits after it (I was only twelve). He then scored against us in the 2-2 draw at Old Trafford when they went 2-0 up before Sparky saved us at the death with two lovely goals, the first a crazy volleyed lob over Grobbelaar. Rush also scored against us at the return game at Anfield but we went on to win 2-1 with Schmeichel pulling off an amazing save from Don Hutchinson.

Johnno

The 3-1 win that Johnno mentions was a league game (new years day 1989). There was a 3-1 league cup win in October 1990 when Sparky scored a screamer past Grobelaar. Speaking of Hughsey, anyone remember the 1992 game at OT when he scored a diving header in the last minute to get a 2-2 draw after we'd been 2-0 down. he got the first one too. In the return game we beat them 2-1, McClair getting the winner and Schmeichel making a terrific save from Hutchison.
I think you're right Remi, my apologies. The 1990 one was a league cup tie and the one with Beardsmore was a league one as I can remember seeing the goals on a Goals Galore video for the 1988-89 season which was only for the league, not cup games.

RemiMoses

That 0-2 defeat was awful. It really felt like the end of the world and it was looking like we would never win the league. It had been 25 years by then. Little did we know that things would soon be about to change...

Johnno

That 0-2 defeat was awful. It really felt like the end of the world and it was looking like we would never win the league. It had been 25 years by then. Little did we know that things would soon be about to change...
I’d been to pretty much every single home match that season aside from most of the Wednesday night ones, I used to sit behind the fence in the Scoreboard Paddock (cost me three quid fifty to get in) plus my dad used to get a few tickets off his mate for the South Stand for some of the matches, the last season before all-seater came into effect, I remember thinking at the time that we were probably going to go back to being a fourth or fifth placed team again and that we blew our best chance. Little did I know next season would be the one. Despite the devastation at the end of the season, that feeling of ‘we’re going to win the league’ was incredible and I kind of miss those days where we weren’t where we are now because of the difference in expectation, although I am mega-content with our current standings in world football and the success we’ve had since 1992 of course!

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
I was at the Stretty for the league game right after the 3:1 win in the League cup. Steve Bruce scored a penalty after a bizarre handball by Glenn Hysen (?), but David Speedie equalised for the scousers. Not a game to remember in terms of football quality, but I will never forget the atmosphere at OT on the day. Like a feckin ancient tribal war.

kf

Oh lots and lots.

Bobby Charlton having a goal disallowed, if I remember correctly for ungentlemanly conduct (!) for shouting "leave it!" as a ball flew across the six yard box at Anfield. It would have been the winner. 2-2 draw in '71

77 FA Cup final, Lou Macari's in-off Jimmy Greenhoff 2-1 win - no scouse treble :D

FA Cup semi final in '79 at Maine Road, 2-2 draw. Then the replay at Goodison 1-0 to us, Jimmy Greenhoff :D

And all the others that have been mentioned, Robbo's goal, Eric in the Cup Final, Ole when they thought they'd won - scouser's faces that day were brilliant - The Diego and Jerzy show, Sheasy last year

And this was pretty good too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD3_4z94MPE

:D

The Azzurri

One of my fav memories of United-Liverpool games is the one in 1995 when Cantona made his "comeback" from his 8-months ban. Wow, the match is until now probably my most exciting i've ever watch in a United-Liverpool game. Incredible, from the kickoff, Cantona made his assist right away after what 85 seconds? Then after that Fowler threaten to spoil the party by smashing in 2 goals. And just when we thought all was gone, up step Cantona to rescue us by scoring a penalty. And i remembered his celebration, absolutely classic.

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
Bobby Charlton having a goal disallowed, if I remember correctly for ungentlemanly conduct (!) for shouting "leave it!" as a ball flew across the six yard box at Anfield. It would have been the winner. 2-2 draw in '71
That seriously happened? my god :wenger:

Red For Ever

Sept of 1971/72 season 2-2 at Anfield Bobby Charlton got the the equaliser at the Kop end. I was in the Kop, screaming inside trying to hide my grin, hiding my scarf inside my denim jacket, the days of standing up, piss on the floor of the Kop, moving 20 feet whenever there was a wave, being crushed against the railings, top of the league by Christmas , but that went badly wrong in January

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Ones that I actually remember:

The first game between us I actually payed attention to was the one where Rooney like... hit a tame ball to Dudek's right and he missed it.

Of course since then I've gone back and learned about some more classics, with the 85 Semi sticking in my mind. Also Pally's double was good. Only because Pally = God. Oh and Cantona in the FA Cup Final was priceless.

Actually since I've been a proper fan it's all been good news in the league for us.

On a down note, the day we got knocked out fo the Cup by them last year (18th Feb) was not only my birthday but the day I got my Smith 14 home kit... THE DAY HE BREAK HIS LEG

:(

Ah well.

Mostly good memories

kf

That seriously happened? my god :wenger:
Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, yes. The argument was that he conned the Liverpool defenders into letting it run. Apparently if he'd said "Leave it George!" it would have been allowed to stand :wenger:

wade

I am coming to England for the first time this spring, amazingly over the United-Liverpool fixture then. I can't wait and hope I end up getting tickets, or at least get to watch the game somewhere in Manchester. So, I'll post after that...

manux399

Some of them:

Winning 4-1 at Anfield in 69 - I listened on the radio.

Ted MacDougal scoring in a 2-0 win in 72.

'77 FAC Final

Arthur Albiston scoring the last minute winner at Anfield. I was playing football and got so excited when I heard Albiston ha scored, I ended up breaking my shoulder in a clash with the goalkeeper.

Crying at the '83 League Cup Final (lost 2-1)

Jimmy Greenhoff - 1-0 in te FAC SF replay '79

Jimmy Greenhoff -Scored on his first match back, having retired due to injury earlier in the season - 2-0 '79-'80
Got to agree with these but Jimmy's goal at Goodison in the 79 replay is my fav of all time. A cold trip home on the coach after having had the windows put through didn't dampen the singing (just froze us to death).

Also I think it was 85 or 86 boxing day at Anfield. I was in the Kop and big Norm scored the winner right in front of us with about five mins...Life threatening moment that was and I just couldn't wait to get to my car and scream...! I did and some bloke was telling me to f-off from his lounge window...!

The other one was the 85 Replay at Maine Road, fantastic night and two cracking goals from Robbo and Sparky, it was also unbelievable how few scousers made the trip for that game their end was only two thirds full..! We had loads of Reds in their end at Goodison on the Saturday mainly as there were loads of forged tickets going for that game.

redspoony

So many good memories....a fair few bad ones as well though.

'96 Cup Final and Eric doing the business
JOS @ the Kop
Carragher's brace at the Kop
20Legend in the Cup in '99
Very vague memories of the '85 semi final replay

kf

Got to agree with these but Jimmy's goal at Goodison in the 79 replay is my fav of all time. A cold trip home on the coach after having had the windows put through didn't dampen the singing (just froze us to death).
We got a train back to Manchester after that game and some scouse twat lobbed a brick at the train window when it stopped at a signal. Hit the window next to me, bounced off thank God but it scared the shit out of me!

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
When the scousers used to win everything, they would lose twice a season... both against United.

To get the 2nd double over them was pretty good, but the game itself was terrible. So maybe last season's cos it was very important in terms of the league.