Your Memories of United versus Liverpool

Nearco

youth team player
I was stood on the Kop when we beat them 2-1 in 92/93. Great result but mega stressful not being able to celebrate our goals.

This as well

Scoreboard Red

Is that this game from 1992?

It is a random one but it was also the first match that popped into my head as it was my early day of going to OT and the last minute equaliser from Hughes was celebrated like it was a winner !
No mate, this was the one I mentioned inmy first post, the one from 1990-91, this was the Rumbelows Cup campaign when we also beat Champions Arsenal 6-2 at Highbury in the next round.

Scoreboard Red

In this video at around 2m54s in, the game versus Liverpool in Oct 1992 where we were 2-0 down in injury time I remember fondly. Check out the Stretford End completely gutted also....

Robbo

STAGGERED that no one has mentioned boxing day 86 at anfield..Whiteside..curling cross to stapleton..brain moore commentary and a 15 year old lad shitting himself with excitement

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
In this video at around 2m54s in, the game versus Liverpool in Oct 1992 where we were 2-0 down in injury time I remember fondly. Check out the Stretford End completely gutted also....

This is the match I was trying to find footage of - i dont think we were 2-0 down in injury time but it was 2 late hughes goals including that diving header which levelled it

Scoreboard Red

This is the match I was trying to find footage of - i dont think we were 2-0 down in injury time but it was 2 late hughes goals including that diving header which levelled it
Trust me, as injury time mate although I think Hughes made it 2-1 in about 88 mins, the equaliser was injury time though for definite....

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Trust me, as injury time mate although I think Hughes made it 2-1 in about 88 mins, the equaliser was injury time though for definite....
"Mark Hughes was Manchester United's hero with two goals in the final 11 minutes as the Old Trafford side clawed back from a two-goal deficit with fierce rivals Liverpool. Hughes struck in the 79th and 89th minutes to stun Graeme Souness' Merseysiders, who looked to be cruising to a comfortable victory."

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
I was stood on the Kop when we beat them 2-1 in 92/93. Great result but mega stressful not being able to celebrate our goals.

This as well

You have picked the greatest United win over the dipping twats ever......

That night was just unreal.

It was my first midweek game I went to without an adult and a mate of mine drove us up from Suffolk where we'd just moved to. As we got closer to Maine Road it was kicking off all over the place. Their were literally bodies lying all over the place and the amount of police horses charging down the road made it look like the charge of the light brigade.

The game wasnt actually that good, and they went ahead with a freak own goal by McGrath, and United werent creating much at all. Things werent looking good. Suddenly Robson broke away and hit that screamer which sent United fans ballistic. Once Hughes scored the second and ultimately the winner then the United fans went into overdrive.

The atmosphere inside Maine Road was just superb. Its almost up there with the 84 game against Barca in terms of United fans making noise.

The players were mobbed after the game and Robson was carried off the pitch on the shoulders of fans with United fans singing the loudest rendition of "we all follow Man United" you have ever heard, and this then subsequently became the official song for United which was made into a single and released as our FA cup final song..

Forget Cantona in 96. Forget the 4-0 drubbings. Forget the 3-3 at Anfield. Forget the FA cup in 99....

This was the greatest United v Liverpool game ever.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
My first ever game was at Old Trafford on Boxing Day 1978 when lost to the Scousers 0-3.

We had just lost at Bolton 0-3 and things were grim.

Liverpool completely outclassed us with Dalglish in fine form. Tommy Connell was at left back and got a roasting....I remember Andy Ritchie having a decent game up front with Jimmy Greenhoff but we weren't at the races.

The following game we got beat 3-5 at home to West Brom so it was a bad winter's visit from Australia where I was living at the time.

I was really gutted.

Then when we beat them in the FA Cup semi-final a few months later I was well up for it and they were two great games!

Nearco

youth team player
I can't remember the year - early 90s when the Stretty was being done - but I was in the United Road seats when we came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2. Hughes got both our goals.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I can't remember the year - early 90s when the Stretty was being done - but I was in the United Road seats when we came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2. Hughes got both our goals.
"Mark Hughes was Manchester United's hero with two goals in the final 11 minutes as the Old Trafford side clawed back from a two-goal deficit with fierce rivals Liverpool. Hughes struck in the 79th and 89th minutes to stun Graeme Souness' Merseysiders, who looked to be cruising to a comfortable victory."
It was 1992 and I was also there :devil:

Crumpsall Red

"On admin review", eh? I demand you be demoted back to the newbies, for it was not a League Cup game! League Division 1, New Year's Day 1989 and my favourite memory of putting the scousers to the sword. 4 goals in 6 minutes, the first from John Barnes to put Liverpool in front with 20 mins to go, then 3 in the next 6 minutes from United. The atmosphere for those last 19 minutes was un-fecking-believable.

For those who don't remember it - here's 6 minutes of viewing heaven for you. Not highlights this, it's as it happened. :drool:

Special memories for me this game, I met my wife the night before at a new years eve party and went to the game the next day (pay on the gate! those were the days). She wasn't impressed that I couldn't meet up with her but has learned over the last 20 years that she is my second love. We were in the Stretford Paddock and came out hoarse, brilliant day.

My favourite memory though is the Cup semi replay at Goodison in '79. I was especially proud to be a United fan that night, the noise we made was unbelievable, a steward at the front of the Park end said he'd never heard noise like it at Goodison before and that we'd put their bin dipping neighbours to shame.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
77 breaking a drought by winning the Cup and ruining Liverpool's treble in the process. My favourite final (I didn't manage to get a ticket to Barcelona in 99)

Making the scousers cry by scoring 2 in the last two minutes in the Cup in 99. They were just so sure they'd won :D

Eriku

Sigh...

I can't seperate the fixture from the single one I attended, last year.

But at least I can say that I've been there till the final whistle on a shittier than shit day... that's something, I guess.

I gave the match programme I bought to my god son, who's a Liverpool fan (due to his uncle, who's a cool bloke from the Faeroe Islands) and to his credit, he's a kick arse little kid :)

As a Noggy the one where Ole came on to win it against them in the 5th round of the FA Cup is always a big one... and any modern fan has to tip his hat to John O'Shea, who nicked it in front of the Kop :)

Bread

Sigh...

I can't seperate the fixture from the single one I attended, last year.

But at least I can say that I've been there till the final whistle on a shittier than shit day... that's something, I guess.

I gave the match programme I bought to my god son, who's a Liverpool fan (due to his uncle, who's a cool bloke from the Faeroe Islands) and to his credit, he's a kick arse little kid :)

As a Noggy the one where Ole came on to win it against them in the 5th round of the FA Cup is always a big one... and any modern fan has to tip his hat to John O'Shea, who nicked it in front of the Kop :)
Remember drowning our sorrows at branigans in manchester after that horrible game

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
In more recentish times i wont forget the Jerzy Dudek howler that let forlan in for a tap in and then he went on to score another one from quite a tight angle. Also remember Barthez making a spectacular save in that match aswell.

Eriku

Remember drowning our sorrows at branigans in manchester after that horrible game
lol... and a fecking quarter to 1 kick off as well, meaning you had all day to stew... fawkin' hell.

a good season (in the end) rendered it a fond memory, mind ;)

Longlivekeano

Sheasy last minute winner at Anfield
Rio's last minute headed goal.
Eric's FA Cup final
The 3-1 win where Pally got two identical headers
The one where David Beckham twatted a freekick into David James top right hand corner
The one where Scholsey scored on his 500th appearance for United
The one where we hammered them 4-0 with Ole nutmegging both the defender and goalie (think Hyppia got send off in the 1st half and Ruud converted from the spot)

vivaronaldo

as a 15 year old watching the 96 fa cup final , almost 2am here and eric cantona doing what he did best.......wonderful memory........made even funnier by me and my brother waking my mum to cheers and screaming..........she came down the stairs with a look of "what the f%ck is goin on"

i remember david james coming out and catching crosses all day that afternoon , and i remember thinking if he drops 1 will score.......and right on cue that exactly what happened....

the double double as eric cantona called it was signed sealed and delivered......a moment i will never forget

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
As a 16 year old - the FA Cup game a few years ago (where Smithy broke his leg) was on my birthday. What a horrid day that turned out to be - not only that I couldn't watch the match (I was made to go to the wedding for a 5th cousin or something shit like that), we lost, and to add injury to insult Smithy broke his leg on the day that I got my Alan Smith home kit as a birthday present.

fecks sake.

More recently, for last seasons Anfield game I remember being in the mood for a curry just before the game and speeding off at high speed abbout 10 mintues before kickoff to get one, to get back to find that Tevez had scored. And for the horrible home game last season, it was a good mate of mine's birthday and we went to some pub, and I remember wandering down the road to find a bar that was showing it just as it kicked off - by the time the rest of the gang had caught up we were winning 1-0 but then it went progressively wose. :(

Hope we dick all over them tomorrow.

slaparse

77 FA Cup final, deflected goal off Greenhoff (I think). A great moment. I was only 11 and made up for the Southampton catasphrophe the year before. Shame about the track suit bottoms tho (cringe!)

Mister Jeebus

Posted this in one of Johnno's other threads but this is worth reposting here. 1985 FA Cup semi-final replay, 1-0 down. Everything you wanted to know about Bryan Robson but were afraid to ask.