Your Memories of United versus Liverpool

Scoreboard Red

Like many, this is the one for me. This game, more than any, conjures up great memories, some good, some bad, but amazing memories none-the-less.
Being 29, my early years were spent supporting United in the shadow of Liverpool's dominance, although to be fair, we often punched above our weight against the Scousers and got some results in those days.
Strachan scoring at The Kop and celebrating by smoking an imaginary cigar with threats of hundreds of enraged Scousers getting ignored right behind him. Hughes, McClair and Beardsmore scoring great goals in a come-from-behind League Cup encounter in the 1988-89 season. Two seasons later, the same scoreline and same competition with another Hughes special beating Grobelaar from near forty yards out, this coming just weeks after they'd twatted us 4-0 at Anfield with Beardsley getting a hattrick and the United supporters singing non-stop that 'We'll Support You Ever More' which was graciously acknowedged by Brian Moore, the famous commentator.
In the Premiership Era, I was sat in the Scoreboard End watching us 2-0 down to the Dippers only for Hughes (again) to grab two stoppage time goals to salvage an unlikely draw.
Despite now living away from Manchester on the other side of the world, I cannot escape the passion of this Derby, not just to me but now as the game has gone global. Last March, I sat in a bar in Western Sydney amidst dozens of Aussies with names Smith, Papadopulos, Ali or Milicevic adorned on the back of their Liverpool and United replica shirts. It took me a second to realise they were their own names of course, not some new signing and they were passionate about their team and what it meant to them also. Perhaps not as much as it does to this old Mancunian Red who's seen the good and the lesser success with our club, but it shows that this game is the biggest in the world.
Forget Real-Barca, forget Boca-River, Celtic-Rangers, United-City, Arsenal-Spurs; none match this match for rivalry, intensity and hatred.
I cannot wait for Sunday night (my time)........

Scoreboard Red

I remember a 0-0 draw at OT in about 1991-92 with Hughes (him again!) getting sent-off for headbutting David Burrows, I think it was. Anyway, I was sat in the South Stand about mid-way toward the half-way line and the Scousers in the away end were throwing pound coins! There were kids and women and all sorts getting hit by them, nasty cnuts. You literally hand to put your hands up to shield your face and head from getting hit by a barage of copper and silver, plus the chunky quid coins they were launching, twats. Still, wouldn't have minded sweeping up afterwards, would have pocketed a fair wedge....

Youngie

Like many, this is the one for me. This game, more than any, conjures up great memories, some good, some bad, but amazing memories none-the-less.
Being 29, my early years were spent supporting United in the shadow of Liverpool's dominance, although to be fair, we often punched above our weight against the Scousers and got some results in those days.
Strachan scoring at The Kop and celebrating by smoking an imaginary cigar with threats of hundreds of enraged Scousers getting ignored right behind him. Hughes, McClair and Beardsmore scoring great goals in a come-from-behind League Cup encounter in the 1988-89 season. Two seasons later, the same scoreline and same competition with another Hughes special beating Grobelaar from near forty yards out, this coming just weeks after they'd twatted us 4-0 at Anfield with Beardsley getting a hattrick and the United supporters singing non-stop that 'We'll Support You Ever More' which was graciously acknowedged by Brian Moore, the famous commentator.
In the Premiership Era, I was sat in the Scoreboard End watching us 2-0 down to the Dippers only for Hughes (again) to grab two stoppage time goals to salvage an unlikely draw.
Despite now living away from Manchester on the other side of the world, I cannot escape the passion of this Derby, not just to me but now as the game has gone global. Last March, I sat in a bar in Western Sydney amidst dozens of Aussies with names Smith, Papadopulos, Ali or Milicevic adorned on the back of their Liverpool and United replica shirts. It took me a second to realise they were their own names of course, not some new signing and they were passionate about their team and what it meant to them also. Perhaps not as much as it does to this old Mancunian Red who's seen the good and the lesser success with our club, but it shows that this game is the biggest in the world.
Forget Real-Barca, forget Boca-River, Celtic-Rangers, United-City, Arsenal-Spurs; none match this match for rivalry, intensity and hatred.
I cannot wait for Sunday night (my time)........
That was actually a league game!! We got beat in the 'Mickey Mouse' by Wimbledon that year but I share your passion for our encounters with the dippers, I'll never forget the FA cup game in 1999 when some little twat called Owen opened the scoring for them and they led for an agonizing 85 odd minutes only for Yorkey to equalize and Ole to crack a winner in the dying seconds...at the time thoughts of 'Treble Glory' were a mere fantasy, because, at the time, knocking the Scouse Bastards out of the Cup was enough, sheer ecstasy!...Still my happiest moment of the treble winning season...that's a bit sad aint it! Or is it?

Scoreboard Red

That was actually a league game!! We got beat in the 'Mickey Mouse' by Wimbledon that year but I share your passion for our encounters with the dippers, I'll never forget the FA cup game in 1999 when some little twat called Owen opened the scoring for them and they led for an agonizing 85 odd minutes only for Yorkey to equalize and Ole to crack a winner in the dying seconds...at the time thoughts of 'Treble Glory' were a mere fantasy, because, at the time, knocking the Scouse Bastards out of the Cup was enough, sheer ecstasy!...Still my happiest moment of the treble winning season...that's a bit sad aint it! Or is it?
I think you're right mate, I thought it was League Cup as the other one I mentioned was too and it was on a Wednesday night, but yeah, you're prob right pal.
That FA Cup match in 99 was magic, we hit the post a few times, shots off the line (one over that Ince {the treacherous cnut} 'saved'), mesmeric to watch, jubilant to experience.......

ralphie88

Hughes, McClair and Beardsmore scoring great goals in a come-from-behind League Cup encounter in the 1988-89 season.
"On admin review", eh? I demand you be demoted back to the newbies, for it was not a League Cup game! League Division 1, New Year's Day 1989 and my favourite memory of putting the scousers to the sword. 4 goals in 6 minutes, the first from John Barnes to put Liverpool in front with 20 mins to go, then 3 in the next 6 minutes from United. The atmosphere for those last 19 minutes was un-fecking-believable.

For those who don't remember it - here's 6 minutes of viewing heaven for you. Not highlights this, it's as it happened. :drool:

Bread

i wish i had been older and more understanding of that game cos now it would keep me happy for weeks!

i also wish i had sky so i could have fecking watched it

Youngie

Rio's last minute winner in 2005/06 will take some beating mind...winning a game we barely deserved in the last minute, Nev sprinting toward the traveling scum to kiss the badge and Fatty Alan Green going apoplectic...marvelous memories!

Scoreboard Red

Rio's last minute winner in 2005/06 will take some beating mind...winning a game we barely deserved in the last minute, Nev sprinting toward the traveling scum to kiss the badge and Fatty Alan Green going apoplectic...marvelous memories!
My cousin was killed outisde his house in Miles Platting in 2004 and the day before I was due to fly back for the funeral, we beat the Scum 2-1 with Silvestre grabbing two headers. My cousin had a floral United thing for his coffin, he was a massive Red, he would have loved that scoreline....

Sonny Feehan

1960. FA CUP at Anfield. 3-1 United. Charlton 2, Bradley.
Watched it in the Kop wearing United scarf and bobblehat.
No problems. Actually the section of the kop reserved for kids was more scary. Just like a big zoo cage with little scousers crawling all over it. Pool in 2nd Div.
Those were the days..... I guess

MG

The first match I ever watched was the 1996 FA Cup final between United and Liverpool (when I was about 5/6 years old), and it's from that game that my dad told me all about football, United and Liverpool and the rivalry between the two (as a Mancunian born in the 50s he experienced both the highs of watching Best/Law/Charlton live at Old Trafford and seeing United win the EC in '68 as a teenager and the lows of being at Uni when United were relegated in '74 - he had to put up with a lot of crap from a few Liverpool-supporting friends at Uni!).

The game itself wasn't that interesting - in fact, looking back if anything it was dull, but Cantona scored an excellent goal and it's a very significant game for me because it was my first. Also, I remember seeing kids trying to emulate the Cantona goal the next few weeks at school in the playground, which is another early memory for me. It was a London primary school, but who cares? It was Cantona!

Youngie

My cousin was killed outisde his house in Miles Platting in 2004 and the day before I was due to fly back for the funeral, we beat the Scum 2-1 with Silvestre grabbing two headers. My cousin had a floral United thing for his coffin, he was a massive Red, he would have loved that scoreline....
RIP your cuz mate........
Hey! I'd almost forgotten Tweety's double....weren't both goals down to Rafa's revolutionary zonal marking system!:lol:
What a cnut!

Scoreboard Red

What about the 2-2 draw at OT in the 1995 season when The King made his return from his suspension. We were up within two mins but that cnut Fowler, who was arguably the best striker in the Premiership that season, scored twice against us only for Eric to equalise with a penalty. Not a great result but a good game and an epic return of a King, matched only by Jesus' return from the dead....

mjs020294

I have lots of fond, and not so find, memories of Liverpool games over the years.

One of the most vivid early memories is the 1977 FA Cup final win over the scousers. We had a decent run against them from the last 70s thru the early 80s considering they were so far ahead of us in the league most seasons.

My most memorable league game was Oct 1981. It was one of my first away games, and it was immediately after the summer riots so the pre/post game atmospheres were electric (and scary).

The convoy from Lime Street was ambushed a couple of hundred yards from Anfield, and the police scattered and it was every man for himself. My best M8 jump the wall into Stanley Park and ended up down by Goodison, and we were split up until half time. I somehow ended up at the front of the United assault back at the charging scousers with a few older hard nutters. It was a baptism of fire for a young 16 year old, nearly shat myself if I am being honest. :eek:

The game was a cracker and we came away with a 2-1 win which in those days felt like we had won a trophy TBH.

MG

I have lots of fond, and not so find, memories of Liverpool games over the years.

One of the most vivid early memories is the 1977 FA Cup final win over the scousers. We had a decent run against them from the last 70s thru the early 80s considering they were so far ahead of us in the league most seasons.
Not so much my memory, but my dad was sat in the royal box (is that what it's called?) at Wembley to watch that Cup final in '77 against the Scousers. His tutor at university got him tickets. He met Matt Busby and shook his hand and all, lucky fecker. :D

mjs020294

Not so much my memory, but my dad was sat in the royal box (is that what it's called?) at Wembley to watch that Cup final in '77 against the Scousers. His tutor at university got him tickets. He met Matt Busby and shook his hand and all, lucky fecker. :D
Our neighbor was Tommy Cavanagh back then, and my dad had connections at the club through Less Olive and Bobby Charlton. During the summer of 1977 Steve Coppel and Gordon Hill turned up at Tommy's house in a TR7, which was a very nice car in those days. :eek: They spent 30 minutes kicking the ball round the street with us, which pissed Tommy off because he was a miserable twat.

Scoreboard Red

What MJS won't tell you all as he is a good modest bloke is that he is related to a United star of some stature who has contributed greatly to our eternal struggle against the evil Scousers, he scored a good few against them from memory...

mjs020294

What MJS won't tell you all as he is a good modest bloke is that he is related to a United star of some stature who has contributed greatly to our eternal struggle against the evil Scousers, he scored a good few against them from memory...
I have many connection to United, many obscure and insignificant. My old man went to school and dated Bobby Charlton's future wife, and it was a fairly serious relationship. He knew Les Olive through business contacts, and went to the Cliff (inside the changing rooms) to get footballs signed for charity auctions. We also know Neville Neville through Bury FC fund raising, and I have met both the Nevilles socially, and Beckham who was Garry's shadow back then.

Bearded but no genius

In recent years there was the Rooney ears moment, Neville and his badge, goal scoring machine Rio Ferdinand, and a few other great ones.

Some not so great ones, too. But that's part of what makes it so important.

Scoreboard Red

I have many connection to United, many obscure and insignificant. My old man went to school and dated Bobby Charlton's future wife, and it was a fairly serious relationship. He knew Les Olive through business contacts, and went to the Cliff (inside the changing rooms) to get footballs signed for charity auctions. We also know Neville Neville through Bury FC fund raising, and I have met both the Nevilles socially, and Beckham who was Garry's shadow back then.
Yeah, my dad was quite involved with the day to day aspects of the Cliff also mate with his job. We'd have dozens of footballs round the house signed by the players, endless posters etc we would give away to our schools for raffles and that. I wrecked a few kicking them about outside as we had that many, now we have none left!
Lots of signed posters, still got ones at home of Becks in that infamous grey kit of 1995, Schmeichel, The King etc.
Got Eric's biography for Chrimbo one year signed; "to John, Merry Christmas, Eric Cantona", if I could teach it how to cook, I'd feck the wife off.
Birthday cards, Christmas cards, met all the players as a kid down the Cliff........
I wish it was still like that these days but Carrington and eBay ruined that.

mjs020294

The club was quite as "showbiz" back then, and security was none existent. You could literally go to the Cliff, park amongst the player's cars, and walk right up to the door, which was often unattended.

In the good old days when the Busby's owned the souvenir shop you would occasionally see Sir Matt behind the counter chatting to his family.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
There were a few games that i have vivid memories of.

For instance there was that game where we lost to them at OT. Gary Neville conceded a free kick before our box, I think Hamman scored a scorcher. And even though we smashed them, we created a few decent chances they managed to win that game. It was a very good display of defense-mined team of Houlier.

Later there was that sad game we lost at Anfield, when Smudge had his leg broken. We were very poor on that day, that terrible injury plus the Ambulance incident. Terrible day.

On a bright side- the “O’Shea-in-front-of-the-Kop-goal game”. They were a better side on that day, my Lpool supporting mates were sending me loads of texts during that game saying “it is just a matter of time” or “you’ll concede sooner or later” the moment Scholes got the red I started praying for a draw. And then JOS’ goal changed everything. I remember that victory because of its importance, that 3 points effectively sealed the first title in 3 years.

And one cannot forget the famous “this is Liverpool’s day” game. I was laughing my ass of at the end of the game 

MUFCgal

I remember the match at Anfield in 1997 where we won 3-1 and Pally scored two headers, it was fantastic. I remember going into town after the match, I walked into the Liverpool FC store in Ann Street, my coat open and United shirt showing. I got ran out of the shop :lol:

I was only young then, I was 14 years old. The FA Cup final in 1996, King Eric with a cracker shot and the winner. Also, the comeback against them at OT in the 98/99 season in the FA Cup, the reaction from the crowd when Ole grabbed the winner was unbelievable.

Rio's class goals against them, plus who could forget Sheasy's winner at the Kop in the last minutes, I screamed that much during that goal I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

Here's hoping we have a moment like that this Sunday :devil:

Moriarty

I remember the entire 70's and apart from one game in 1977 they were a fecking nightmare!!!:(
Old Trafford in November 1972. A full house, a pitch invasion complete with a police horse, a goal each from MacDougall and Wyn Davies, and a vintage display from George Best. That game had it all.

Moriarty

Our neighbor was Tommy Cavanagh back then, and my dad had connections at the club through Less Olive and Bobby Charlton. During the summer of 1977 Steve Coppel and Gordon Hill turned up at Tommy's house in a TR7, which was a very nice car in those days. :eek: They spent 30 minutes kicking the ball round the street with us, which pissed Tommy off because he was a miserable twat.
Was he? That surprises me. He used to jog past the Stretford End geeing everybody up with a grin on his face. Public persona eh?

MPTutd

I remembers loads of them.

But one everyone has forgotten so far (I think so anyway from a quick scan of the other posts), is the Forlan game. When he score two goals thanks to Dudek. It is commonly forgotten that Fabien Barthez also made an astonishing save to keep us ahead. It was from a 30 yarder by Hamann I think. Possibly one of the best saves I have ever seen.

I also remember the 3-3 at Anfield when we went 3-0 after about two minutes. It was gutting when Ruddock equalised.

How about Pally getting two in a game. That was a good one.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
'CANTONAAAAAAAAAAA'

'York and Cole combine!'

Diego making them cry

Rooney winner at the kop

O Shea winner at the kop

Ferdinand winner at the stretty

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
So many great games over the years.

2-1 in Anfield the day of Forlan.
Eric's Return in a 2-2 draw in 95
the 3-3 the season before
The year where David James was our 12th man allowing Pally and Cole free headers (think it was 3-1 in anfield)
FA Cup 3rd Round 99. Solskjaer and Yorke with late late goals.

eric le roi

My first Liverpool game must have been about 1987 or 88. A few of us from school bowled up and paid £4 on the gate for the Stretford End. It ended 1-1. I can't remember who scored.

Found these quotes:

Liverpool v Manchester United: what they say about the greatest rivalry in English football - Telegraph

This is a good one :D
"How would you like to manage the best club in the country?" Liverpool chairman Tom Williams once asked Bill Shankly.
"Why?" Shankly replied. "Is Matt Busby packing it in?" A few days later, Shankly was unveiled as Liverpool's new manager.

dmode

very stressful... even if we win comfortably... my day's fecked... starts with some concentration before the match... i cannot imagine how the coach, staff and players deal with it...