Your Memories of United versus Liverpool

Crustanoid

"On admin review", eh? I demand you be demoted back to the newbies, for it was not a League Cup game! League Division 1, New Year's Day 1989 and my favourite memory of putting the scousers to the sword. 4 goals in 6 minutes, the first from John Barnes to put Liverpool in front with 20 mins to go, then 3 in the next 6 minutes from United. The atmosphere for those last 19 minutes was un-fecking-believable.

For those who don't remember it - here's 6 minutes of viewing heaven for you. Not highlights this, it's as it happened. :drool:

I do remember it well - but it's still viewing heaven!

I think the 3-1 in the league cup was around a year later, and the Fledglings (Beardsmore, Sharpe etc) played a big part in that

ralphie88

I do remember it well - but it's still viewing heaven!

I think the 3-1 in the league cup was around a year later, and the Fledglings (Beardsmore, Sharpe etc) played a big part in that
A couple of years later wasn't it? 1990-91 season (and what a cracking season that was, getting to the League Cup Final, winning the Cup Winners' Cup and not being involved in a relegation battle!). All watched from the (***)comfort of the old Stretford End.

That League Cup 3-1 was a cracking game as well - in the days when the competition meant a lot (especially to teams like United). A Bruce penalty and then Highes lobbing Grobelaar pretty much straight from the kick off. Then David Burrow's assault on Danny Wallace and the crowd shaking him up so much he had to be substituted....

gerrydaly

Praying to have a guy on top of him
First I really remember is United winning 4-1 at Licerppol in 1969.

I was in the North Stand, unsually, for the 2-2 darw in 1992. The Stretford End was being redevlooped,and so no one was in it. There was hardly anyone in where I was in the North Stand by the time Hughes equalsied in the last minute.

Jimmy Greenhoff had retired during the '79-'80 season becaue of injury. But unretired for the Liverpool match at Old Trafford and scored the winner. United won 2-1.

Jimmy Greenhoff scoring the winner in the FA CUp semi final replay at Goodison in 1979. Unityed won 1-0.

Arthur Albiston scoring in the last minute at Anfield in 1981. Unierd won 2-1.

Robson and Strachan scoring in the 2-1 FA Cup semi final replay at win at Maine Road.

Ted MacDougal and Wyn Davies scoring in a 2-0 win '72'-73 season.

Strachan's equaliser in the 3-3 at Anfield 1988 (?)

Liverpool not crossing the half way line once, but pushing up to play offside 300 times and passing back to Clemence about 400 times in the dullest 0-0 I've ever seen in 1976.

Beingg more angry at United than I can ever remember for being shit and gutless in 0-1 at Old Trafford 1981.

RonaldoVII

Cantona's return in October 1995 after his ban. It could be the first live (tv) game I ever saw of United, possibly of anyone. My Grandparents had Sky and were on holiday, so we went to watch it there. My Liverpool supporting Uncle also watched.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
The best: 1996 FA Cup final, Wembley, 1-0 Cantona. A wretched game, but a fantastic strike that got us the double and made Alan "you can't win anything with kids" Hansen cry a river. It fully completed Cantona's return from the previous October and it was just magic seeing the likes of Nevilles, Scholes, Beckham and Butt graduate having beaten Liverpool at Wembley.

The worst: March 2009, Old Trafford, 1-4 Liverpool. I can't recall another game against Liverpool I was so disappointed by and I thought we might royally piss away the chance to draw level at 18 league titles, even though there were a couple of months of the season left. I felt sick when Aurelio's free kick sailed in. But as with most United season's, we took the last laugh.

I was a bit too young to fully appreciate Liverpool turning us over in 1992 to end our Division 1 title hopes, otherwise it could've been that. I remember being disappointed and my Dad was broken, but I was only 7.

jrsenior

He, he, good to see the old timers popping out as soon as they see
a thread with " memories" in the title.
Great stuff, takes me back to the 70/80`s when watching United was a roller coaster
of sorrow and joy.

ralphie88

The worst: March 2009, Old Trafford, 1-4 Liverpool. I can't recall another game against Liverpool I was so disappointed by (...)
I was a bit too young to fully appreciate Liverpool turning us over in 1992 to end our Division 1 title hopes, otherwise it could've been that. I remember being disappointed and my Dad was broken, but I was only 7.
1992 was the pits, you were lucky to be too young to remember it.

mjs020294

Was he? That surprises me. He used to jog past the Stretford End geeing everybody up with a grin on his face. Public persona eh?
We used to play football a lot in the street, and the ball would occasionally go on people's lawns. We had to go and knock on the door and ask Tommy if we could have our ball back, and occasionally the twat kept it.

He was nice as pie with the adults but he wasn't kid friendly at home.

Crustanoid

A couple of years later wasn't it? 1990-91 season (and what a cracking season that was, getting to the League Cup Final, winning the Cup Winners' Cup and not being involved in a relegation battle!). All watched from the (***)comfort of the old Stretford End.

That League Cup 3-1 was a cracking game as well - in the days when the competition meant a lot (especially to teams like United). A Bruce penalty and then Highes lobbing Grobelaar pretty much straight from the kick off. Then David Burrow's assault on Danny Wallace and the crowd shaking him up so much he had to be substituted....
I was more gutted about losing that final than pretty much any United game since then - even this year's European Cup final. I think it was partially because of the legendary games which led up to it.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
1992 was the pits, you were lucky to be too young to remember it.
Indeed. Like I say, remember it and hate seeing Barnes' goal played back, but just didn't fully appreciate that this was our chance after 25 years. I obviously hadn't gone through all those barren years like my Dad or yourself either.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
"On admin review", eh? I demand you be demoted back to the newbies, for it was not a League Cup game! League Division 1, New Year's Day 1989 and my favourite memory of putting the scousers to the sword. 4 goals in 6 minutes, the first from John Barnes to put Liverpool in front with 20 mins to go, then 3 in the next 6 minutes from United. The atmosphere for those last 19 minutes was un-fecking-believable.

For those who don't remember it - here's 6 minutes of viewing heaven for you. Not highlights this, it's as it happened. :drool:

F*cking c*nting China, I can't access Youtube :mad:

Dyslexic Untied

First I remember is the Cup final in 96.

My fondest memory is perhaps the FA Cup game where Ole won it in the end in 99.

Magnus

Another mad swede
Remember crying after the League Cup Final in 83 (It still pisses me off that Grobbelaar didn´t get sent off) . After that more happy memories than sad and the FA-Cupmatch in 99 takes some beating:devil: Anfield in 92 does to though:(. Hopefully we´ll stuff them on Sunday

ralphie88

I was more gutted about losing that final than pretty much any United game since then - even this year's European Cup final. I think it was partially because of the legendary games which led up to it.
Yeah it was gutting. We'd been the best team in the competition. Chris fecking Turner. :mad:

dinners85

So many great memories and despite growing up when Liverpool were top dog - we had some great days against them.

Of those I was at:

77 Cup final (my first game)

85 FA Semi final matches

New Years day 1989 at Old Trafford. A crazy 10 mins and Russell Beardsmore !

Strachan smoking a fat one in front of the Kop.

Cantona Cup Final 96

Lots of other great moments too

My memories of this rivalry dont go back further than the 1996 FA Cup final where Cantona took down the Scousers himself. That moment really stuck with me how much it meant to get one over Liverpool.

Since then we have continued our quest to knock them off their perch and what an achievement it has been. Im looking forward to Sunday.

ralphie88

So many great memories and despite growing up when Liverpool were top dog - we had some great days against them.

Of those I was at:

77 Cup final (my first game)

85 FA Semi final matches

New Years day 1989 at Old Trafford. A crazy 10 mins and Russell Beardsmore !

Strachan smoking a fat one in front of the Kop.

Cantona Cup Final 96

Lots of other great moments too
Were you at Goodison in '79, dinners? That's the one Liverpool game I would have loved to have been at.

dinners85

Were you at Goodison in '79, dinners? That's the one Liverpool game I would have loved to have been at.
No I wasn't.

I was only 5 or 6 when I was taken to Wembley in 1977

It was the mid 80's before I was taken to Old Trafford on a regular basis and away games didn't really start till about 87/88 when I was attending games with my mates.

BahamaRed

Legend
62/63 3-3 at OT. I was in the Stretford End Paddock and the last 15 minutes were just incredible. I don't remember much about games from that time but I sure remember this one. Up 1-0 pool equalised and then we went ahead with just minutes to go. Then they equalised again almost on the 90 minutes. Then Pool scored a fk blinder with time up and it looked all over. Then with the last kick of the game Johnny Giles equalised to make it 3-3. I remember all around me going wild like never before and that feeling has never left me. The most meaningful derby for me.

CR#7

two season's ago my first live match at OT watching our reds beat the scouse 3-nil, bouncing out of OT feeling on cloud nine.

gbgary

I was in the North Stand, unsually, for the 2-2 darw in 1992. The Stretford End was being redevlooped,and so no one was in it. There was hardly anyone in where I was in the North Stand by the time Hughes equalsied in the last minute.

Jimmy Greenhoff had retired during the '79-'80 season becaue of injury. But unretired for the Liverpool match at Old Trafford and scored the winner. United won 2-1.

Jimmy Greenhoff scoring the winner in the FA CUp semi final replay at Goodison in 1979. Unityed won 1-0.

Robson and Strachan scoring in the 2-1 FA Cup semi final replay at win at Maine Road.

Liverpool not crossing the half way line once, but pushing up to play offside 300 times and passing back to Clemence about 400 times in the dullest 0-0 I've ever seen in 1976.

Bring morte nagry at Unuited tha I camn ever remember for beuibng shit and gutless in 0-1 at Old Trafford 1981.

stevetheskier

Worst
77-78 League 1-3 at Anfield, Paddy Roche in goal !
78-79 League 0-3 at Old Trafford, a miserable Boxing Day.
82-83 Milk Cup 1-2 at Wembley, really thought it was our going to be our first League Cup win.

Best
76-77 FA Cup 2-1 at Wembley, what a weekend.
84-85 FA Cup 2-1 at Maine Road, fantastic atmosphere.
98-99 FA Cup 2-1 at Old Trafford, dreams become reality.

Denis' cuff

Bring morte nagry at Unuited tha I camn ever remember for beuibng shit and gutless in 0-1 at Old Trafford 1981.
Lots of memories there, Gerry - that one in '76 at OT I think was a mid week game and they came for a 0-0 draw and got it. The very weekend before that, Jack Charlton's 'boro went to Anfailed and got a 0-0 draw and Keegan had a big tantrum because Jack's boys wouldn't let them have it all their own way and he said he'd rather go shopping with the Mrs than play football like that. They did exactly the same 3/4 days later at OT. I wrote a letter into the Pink letters page (no internet warriors back then) pointing out Keggy's hypocracy and finished by saying that Big Bad Jack isn't allowed to play like that but it's ok if Liverpool do. Peter Gardner (Blue twat who ran the letters page) replied that when you're league champions and won the Cup Winners Cup you can do what you like. Wonder if he allows Fergie and United as much leniency now? Not that I can remember us going out to secure a 0-0 draw, even with our new-found conservative approach in Europe. That was the kind of press that they enjoyed in those days - even in Manchester:eek: Their success justified every over the ball tackle and every pass back to the keeper etc etc and they could do no wrong because their trophy haul justified everything. That was before the nation's media was hi-jacked by London and those feckers have just about had enough of "nooven cants" cleaning up. Just hope Fergie carries on like Mao Tse Tung.

Fergie rules ok :lol::D

come on you R-e-e-e-d-s:devil::devil::devil:

time for a lie- down - long day on de pish.;)

Northstand

The 1999 FA Cup game has hardly had a mention, but for me that was THE best United v Liverpool game in memory in terms of drama and atmosphere. I couldn't get to that game and watched it in a pub in Nantwich which was packed to the rafters with roughly 50/50 split support between the sides. Obviously we had to endure Liverpool being in the lead until the last few minutes but then our two late goals..... the feeling when Ole's goal went in was sublime. Must admit I jumped all over a scouse fan who'd been giving us a bit of friendly banter until the equaliser!!!

gerrydaly

Lots of memories there, Gerry - that one in '76 at OT I think was a mid week game and they came for a 0-0 draw and got it. The very weekend before that, Jack Charlton's 'boro went to Anfailed and got a 0-0 draw and Keegan had a big tantrum because Jack's boys wouldn't let them have it all their own way and he said he'd rather go shopping with the Mrs than play football like that. They did exactly the same 3/4 days later at OT. I wrote a letter into the Pink letters page (no internet warriors back then) pointing out Keggy's hypocracy and finished by saying that Big Bad Jack isn't allowed to play like that but it's ok if Liverpool do. Peter Gardner (Blue twat who ran the letters page) replied that when you're league champions and won the Cup Winners Cup you can do what you like. Wonder if he allows Fergie and United as much leniency now? Not that I can remember us going out to secure a 0-0 draw, even with our new-found conservative approach in Europe. That was the kind of press that they enjoyed in those days - even in Manchester:eek: Their success justified every over the ball tackle and every pass back to the keeper etc etc and they could do no wrong because their trophy haul justified everything. That was before the nation's media was hi-jacked by London and those feckers have just about had enough of "nooven cants" cleaning up. Just hope Fergie carries on like Mao Tse Tung.

Fergie rules ok :lol::D

come on you R-e-e-e-d-s:devil::devil::devil:

time for a lie- down - long day on de pish.;)
I'd foprgotten about Peter Gardner. And the Pink

I'm sure the Liverpool match was February or March, and it was a midweek game. Until almost the end of the season we still had a chance of winning the league, along with Dertby, Sexton's QPR and Liverpool, who did win it.

So we lost out on the league, but the FA Cup waas biiger thing then, and we were bound to beat Southampton in the final.

gerrydaly

The 1999 FA Cup game has hardly had a mention, but for me that was THE best United v Liverpool game in memory in terms of drama and atmosphere. I couldn't get to that game and watched it in a pub in Nantwich which was packed to the rafters with roughly 50/50 split support between the sides. Obviously we had to endure Liverpool being in the lead until the last few minutes but then our two late goals..... the feeling when Ole's goal went in was sublime. Must admit I jumped all over a scouse fan who'd been giving us a bit of friendly banter until the equaliser!!!
Yeah, I left that out too.

And 1992 was the worst, but not just for losing to Liverpool, but, of course, for losing the league. Just sat on the floor for days.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
In the Premiership Era, I was sat in the Scoreboard End watching us 2-0 down to the Dippers only for Hughes (again) to grab two stoppage time goals to salvage an unlikely draw.
Is that this game from 1992?

It is a random one but it was also the first match that popped into my head as it was my early day of going to OT and the last minute equaliser from Hughes was celebrated like it was a winner !

Tribec

77 was my first real recollection of any United v Liverpool games, and hey what a way to start! 2-1 at Wembley, 12 months afte the despair of getting beat by Southampton, plus stopping them doing what would have been the Treble.

I was only 8 or so for the 79 semi, though I can recall nearly tearing the house down when Greenough scored the winner in the replay, which meant that I demanded, to stay up and watch the match on Sportsnight.

Then we turned into the early 80's and that brings to mind, Norman Whiteside, scouse buster. Norman always brought his A game out week in week out or so it seemed, but for games against Liverpool it was his STAR game he played. He ran faster, passed better, kicked them harder and seemed to be involved in all our goals some how. The 83 Milk Cup final was my first trip to Wembley and though they won, we were beaten by them getting all the luck, much the same as people claim we get it today.

The 85 semi's were crazy..... Missed the first one, got to Maine Road, and all that can be said about that game has been said. I don't know, beating them in a semi seems sweeter than beating them in a final, even having seen us do that, to beat them in a semi is still extra special.

89 was Beardsmore finest hour, it was the start of the false dawn for the first batch of Fledgings, but who cares that game against what some say was Liverpool's greatest lingers in my memory.

I try to forget about 92, it's only when it's mentioned in here that I recall the pain and emotions that brought. I almost wish we could ban talk of it, it's so painful even now. The 1-4 hurt last season, but 92 was just........... I don't want to reopen the wounds.

96 and the cup final against the white suited, self proclaimed spice boys. Oh the joy of Eric's comeback being completed, As with 77, we'd returned to Wembley following a cup final loss the previous season and won the cup. A dire game, brought to life by the late winner.

Since then, we've had another League cup final loss to contend with and some great results and some shocking results, but for the main part we've been winning things, and whilst it's never any good to lose to Liverpool, even the 1-4 last year has been tempered by the fact we won the league. Yes, Rio and O'Shea have scored last minute winners at home and away, and they bring joy and bragging rights galore, but a little bit of the magic that was a United v Liverpool game has been lost since we've become the more successful. However, long may that remain cause a win against those _______ from down the East Lancs is still sweeter than beating 99% of other teams.

RemiMoses

One that I've not seen mentioned was the 2-1 win at anfield on the way to our 93 title. Hughes and Mcclair scored and Schmeichel pulled off a great save from hutchinson.

I hated the first two danny murphy winners in 00 and 02. Despite looking like winning the league easily, I still hated them beating us but nobody else seemed bothered. This was the one where luke chadwick got sent off. The second one we controlled the whole game without breaking through. Larry White was immense that night until they scored with their first shot towards the end. I felt so sick

Magnus

Another mad swede

It is a random one but it was also the first match that popped into my head as it was my early day of going to OT and the last minute equaliser from Hughes was celebrated like it was a winner !
I was looking forward to Sparky equalising and you show me the 3-1 Milk Cup. Bastard;)

Magnus

Another mad swede

You were there and still don´t know the fecking match was milk cup:confused:

MUFCgal

Watching MUTV today, showing different matches between us and Liverpool. Just finished watching the 3-3 match at Anfield from 1994, we were 3-0 up and they battled back to make it 3-3. Next up is the match at Anfield in 2002....Diego woah, Diego woah :devil:

mjs020294

Worst
77-78 League 1-3 at Anfield, Paddy Roche in goal !
78-79 League 0-3 at Old Trafford, a miserable Boxing Day.
82-83 Milk Cup 1-2 at Wembley, really thought it was our going to be our first League Cup win.

Best
76-77 FA Cup 2-1 at Wembley, what a weekend.
84-85 FA Cup 2-1 at Maine Road, fantastic atmosphere.
98-99 FA Cup 2-1 at Old Trafford, dreams become reality.
I nearly named the Milk Cup loss as a memorable game. Not because fo teh game but the United fans chanting: "we'll be back, we'll be back, we'll be back back back" as the game ended. We were still in the FA Cup and made it back to win that trophy. There was a real defiance and anger in the chant that is a vivid in my memory to this day.

The FA Cup replay at Maine Road was a classic as well.

TBH there have been so many great and crucial games between the two teams over the last 30+ years. The rivalry is so intense that even youth and reserve games have a little extra edge.

Red_Jamie

Watching MUTV today, showing different matches between us and Liverpool. Just finished watching the 3-3 match at Anfield from 1994, we were 3-0 up and they battled back to make it 3-3. Next up is the match at Anfield in 2002....Diego woah, Diego woah :devil:

:devil:

I love the roar of our fans after Forlans second.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I was looking forward to Sparky equalising and you show me the 3-1 Milk Cup. Bastard;)
:lol: next time i will watch the clip before posting it! it was all i could find on youtube

ive never been to a milk cup game in my life!