Your most overrated footballer

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Jay-jay Okocha. I mean I don't know anyone that dislikes him and he was a very skillful player but grossly overrated.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Are most people not understanding the thread? It's players you personally thought were amazing then later realised they weren't as good as you thought they were.

I was on the Januzaj hype train for certain, definitely overrated him.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Are most people not understanding the thread? It's players you personally thought were amazing then later realised they weren't as good as you thought they were.

I was on the Januzaj hype train for certain.
It says underrated. Players you think other people rate too highly. Even if they’ve won the ballon d’or. Nothing to do with players you previously thought were amazing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I was on the Januzaj hype train for certain.
Need a clearer title. "Footballer you overrated the most."

Chipper

Adulterer.
It says underrated. Players you think other people rate too highly. Even if they’ve won the ballon d’or. Nothing to do with players you previously thought were amazing.
Huh? At no point is the the word unnderrated present.

The OP talks about how he thought Larsson was the best player in the world then later realised how that wasn't case.

He ends it by asking:

"Who is your favorite player that you overrated? "

He's clearly asking who you and I have overrated in the past, not who are players that other people overrate.

Paxi

Need a clearer title. "Footballer you overrated the most."
Done.

Edit: actually, I'll just let people talk what they want to talk about.

Though, I do agree a clearer title was needed. I was blind drunk last night in my defence. :lol:

Ludens the Red

I was on the Januzaj hype train for certain, definitely overrated him.
Yeah , these lot are well thick. I got your back mate.

Paxi

The OP talks about how he thought Larsson was the best player in the world then later realised how that wasn't case.

He ends it by asking:

He's clearly asking who you and I have overrated in the past, not who are players that other people overrate.
Yes you're right but i made a meal of it cause i was pissed out of my mind. Sorry. :lol:

bsCallout

I personally overrated Cleverly and Forlan.

Who I think is most overrated by others, probably Pirlo or Neuer.

I think they are both vastly overrated. Neuer because he was outrageous, don't think it was that effective and usually cost them goals. Pirlo because he controlled the game against an awful England team but otherwise did what many overrated Italian players do and performed pretty well in the best teams in a slow, poor quality league.

Ludens the Red

Yes you're right but i made a meal of it cause i was pissed out of my mind. Sorry. :lol:
:lol: Looking through it appears you yourself don’t even understand the thread. This must be a first.
Also it’s Henrik Larsson not Henke Larsson. You’re not very good are you?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think almost all the players I overrated to death were when I was a kid/teenager and I irrationally liked some players to the point I thought they were much greater than they were. I really liked Gaizka Mendieta because of his hair and he was good in my bootleg videogame, and thus thoguht he was a top top player in the world
This is truee for me, too. But in my case it was Robinho I idolized as a teenager/kid.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

He ends it by asking:

Overrated is what I meant sorry. I think what you’re saying is a better discussion anyway otherwise it’s just full of people talking shite.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Virgil van Dijk. Good defender but feck me you'd think he's Baresi, Maldini, Nesta rolled into one.
It's gotta be a Liverpool fanatic thing. They've overrated their individual players for years. I recall them rating Finnan the best RB in the country for a while. And don't get me started on Gerrard, who for me is the most overrated player of my lifetime. Scratch that... second most behind Van Dijk.

Paxi

:lol: Looking through it appears you yourself don’t even understand the thread. This must be a first.
Also it’s Henrik Larsson not Henke Larsson. You’re not very good are you?
His nickname is Henke. Short for Henrik. Someone is free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Also I just rolled with what everyone else was saying in this thread. Didn't want to correct people when i should have did a better op so I just went with it.

stevoc

They constantly do that. Right now they have the best GK itw, probably the best LB and definitely the best RB itw but the best FB pair for sure, the best CB in a generation, best young CB in Gomes, best DM in Fabinho and best captain in Henderson, also the greatest substitution ever made in Wijnaldum and the best front 3 itw.

Suarez also had the greatest ever season in the PL bar none and this Liverpool team is the greatest in English history.

All those are legitimately claims I've heard from Liverpool fans. Online and in person.

It's funny that were clearly the best team in PL times. We've won 13. But nothing of ours was the best. They actually argue Salah or Ronaldo, forgetting Ronaldo scored 42 goals in England as a 22 year old.
You have to remember though that they had the better players but we had the better referees, Fergie paid them all off and had the FA in his pocket. Or so i keep hearing.

Paxi

It's gotta be a Liverpool fanatic thing. They've overrated their individual players for years. I recall them rating Finnan the best RB in the country for a while. And don't get me started on Gerrard, who for me is the most overrated player of my lifetime. Scratch that... second most behind Van Dijk.
Yeah vvd is hideously overrated. Definitely a Liverpool thing.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Carrick.
I admired him but in hindsight I overrated his ability by some distance between 07 and 13.
Just a dependable,composed midfielder.

Last edited:

fps

Some terrible terrible shouts on here. I think the best ones will be where posters realise they overrated players themselves when they were younger.

I overrated Edgar Davids. He was very good but he wasn’t the kind of destroyer or machine I thought, looking back. I think I was taken by how comic book he looked.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Early Championship Manager made me overate Davids without actually seeing him consistently.
He was a friggin midfield god in those early games.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
People really don't get the point of this thread, do they?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't think some people understand the point of the thread.

I used to overrate Welbeck, but I still think he would be a far better player if it wasn't for injuries(not just the recent long term injuries, he's had many when he was younger too). But even without the injuries now I don't think he would be that good as I expected him to be.

Pughnichi

Cleverley. After a season on loan in championship where he scored a good number of goals...and having watched him in reserves I thought he was gonna be our answer to Frank Lampard. I really wanted him to excel and I remember his assist to well beck I think in his first few games and thought...here we go. By the end I couldn’t bare the site of him in our 11 and just wanted him gone. Over rated big time. Similarly Pereira. Who looked amazing in reserves and had a good spell in a weak Granada team. Expected him to come back and be a good player for us.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I know i will get a hiding but here goes (in no particular order);

1.Cristiano Ronaldo: I dont dispute that he is one of the greatest goalscorers ever but outside of this goalscoring art his all round play has often been average even in his prime compared to some of the elite of the game. Based purely on his goals and longevity i would have him in top 10 of all time but never in top 3.

2.Zidane: Big moments in big games but never consistent enough to warrant comparison to luis ronaldo. Won the ballondor for 2 goals in the 1998 final and is often put in top 10 of all time lists.
I don't agree with Cristiano but definitely agree with you on Zidane. He was the ultimate big game player and you'd want him in your team in a one-off match with everything on the line, but over the course of an entire season he's light-years behind everyone else that is talked about amongst the very best.

I feel others over-rate Kaka for the same reasons. He was a lovely player to watch but even in 06/07 when he won the Ballon d'Or he wasn't the best player in Serie A (Totti was) let alone the world (Cristiano was). A great CL campaign (against a Utd team with our entire defence injured) got him that title but he was outperformed in every other competition.

As for who I personally over-rated, maybe Benzema. He, more than any other player, is the person I turned into a transfer muppet for. I still remember when we faced Lyon and he was able to take on and beat Rio for speed and skill and then beat Vidic for strength and power. The two best central defenders in the world at the time and he beat them both at their own strengths. Turned me into a muppet for a few years and I thought he'd go on to become the best striker since peak Ronaldo. Obviously he still went on to have an incredible career but never reached those heights. I still wonder how much was that I was over-rating him and how much was him 'sacrificing' himself to some extent to get the best out of Cristiano who turned into an even better player.

MartinRed

Probably some of you think of it and don't want to say it out loud of fear the majority in this forum will be reaping them off , but I am going to say it anyway.Messi.

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
People here saying VVD is only overrated because of Liverpool fans haven't been paying much attention. Everyone and their mother is hyping him up, it's not a "Liverpool thing". Kompany recently called him the "best ever" PL defender.

I can fully understand the hype. He got a justified 2nd place Ballon d'Or placement, no other PL defender has ever been near winning it like him. He's a complete package like no one else (strong, fast, good technique, great long passing, reads the game well, a leader, etc etc). He transformed both Matip and Gomez to top top defenders (when they play with him only). He doesn't have the longevity or the team achievments to justify being the "greatest", but from a simple eye test it's easy to understand why people call him the best. I look at Terry, Ferdinand and Vidic, and I can't really single out one of them as more complete than VVD. After VVD joined Liverpool, we got the third most points in PL history, won a CL, and is about to win PL for the first time in ages. He plays a big part in that.

--
Carrick gets my shout as well for most overrated (at times). I remember people seriously saying he was as good as Xabi Alonso. A good and reliable player, but not world class like many seemed to rate him as.

Last edited:

fps

Early Championship Manager made me overate Davids without actually seeing him consistently.
He was a friggin midfield god in those early games.
This might have had a lot to do with it as well actually, takes me back!!

Josh 76

People here saying VVD is only overrated because of Liverpool fans haven't been paying much attention. Everyone and their mother is hyping him up, it's not a "Liverpool thing". Kompany recently called him the "best ever" PL defender.

I can fully understand the hype. He got a justified 2nd place Ballon d'Or placement, no other PL defender has ever been near winning it like him. He's a complete package like no one else (strong, fast, good technique, great long passing, reads the game well, a leader, etc etc). He transformed both Matip and Gomez to top top defenders (when they play with him only). He doesn't have the longevity or the team achievments to justify being the "greatest", but from a simple eye test it's easy to understand why people call him the best. I look at Terry, Ferdinand and Vidic, and I can't really single out one of them as more complete than VVD. After VVD joined Liverpool, we got the third most points in PL history, won a CL, and is about to win PL for the first time in ages. He plays a big part in that.

--
Carrick gets my shout as well for most overrated (at times). I remember people seriously saying he was as good as Xabi Alonso. A good and reliable player, but not world class like many seemed to rate him as.
So VVD has two good season's.
The way Liverpool play helps him a lot. He's not the same player for Holland.

MiceOnMeth

Probably some of you think of it and don't want to say it out loud of fear the majority in this forum will be reaping them off , but I am going to say it anyway.Messi.
I'd love to hear why you think a player who most would rate as the greatest of his era and top 3 of all time is overrated.