Your preferred front four

Jaybomb

Mkhitaryan - Mata - Martial
Zlatan

Rotate Mata with Rooney/Fellaini and Martial with Depay. Sorted.

Sigma

Ibra
Martial Miki
Pogba​
Quoting myself: Why are all the formations missing Pogba? I'm sorry but anyone who has ever seen Pogba knows this is the lineup to get the best of him. He can't play in a 2 man midfield. Those who think he can are simply mistaken

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Quoting myself: I'm sorry but anyone who has ever seen Pogba knows this is the lineup to get the best of him. He can't play in a 2 man midfield. Those who think he can are simply mistaken
:lol: It's hilarious how you're so "this is completely correct and true" about your opinion. You should be in the Republican party.

krazyrobus

Quoting myself: Why are all the formations missing Pogba? I'm sorry but anyone who has ever seen Pogba knows this is the lineup to get the best of him. He can't play in a 2 man midfield. Those who think he can are simply mistaken
Because he hasn't signed.

Sigma

:lol: It's hilarious how you're so "this is completely correct and true" about your opinion. You should be in the Republican party.
I've taken the test (http://www.isidewith.com/), I'm centre left authoritarian (by american standards - so centre left by everyone else's standards)

All I'm saying is Pogba's position isn't in a 2 man midfield. That's not how he played for Juventus. That's how he played for France in the Euros and he was average.

Walters_19_MuFc

Whilst enjoyable, and interesting to see what others think, I always find these threads pretty pointless, as opinions tend to change from week to week.

I mean, based on today game, it would be:

Rashford
Depay Mata Lingard

I think Jose will start what we saw in the first half today, but if anyone isn't up to standard then they should be dropped, because we've got very good players to come in, as we saw today.

Massive Spanner

I've taken the test (http://www.isidewith.com/), I'm centre left authoritarian (by american standards - so centre left by everyone else's standards)

All I'm saying is Pogba's position isn't in a 2 man midfield. That's not how he played for Juventus. That's how he played for France in the Euros and he was average.
Wait, what? I've seen you make so many statements about players like "he's better than X" and "anyone who's seen him play knows.." yet you managed to be completely and utterly wrong about where Pogba played 90% of his pitch minutes for France?

What positions were Kante/Sissokho and Matuidi playing, then?

eggwithsideburns

............... Rashford
............................Ibra
....Martial Pogba Fellaini Mkhitaryan

In the easy games a 442/4411 type system like that could be fun to watch. I know its defensively weak and wont ever happen but there is lots of height in the central area.

More realistically something like this.

Martial.....Ibra......Rashford
..........Mkhitaryan

Sigma

Wait, what? I've seen you make so many statements about players like "he's better than X" and "anyone who's seen him play knows.." yet you managed to be completely and utterly wrong about where Pogba played 90% of his pitch minutes for France?
OK. He played both positions. But in the final and I think Semi-final iirc (when Kante didn't play), he played there, and was average.

I'm only pointing it out because I've already said he is good in a 3 man midfield, there is no point of me repeating that.

He had one good game in the whole tournament - against Albania

Massive Spanner

OK. He played both positions. But in the final and I think Semi-final iirc (when Kante didn't play), he played there, and was average.

I'm only pointing it out because I've already said he is good in a 3 man midfield, there is no point of me repeating that.

He had one good game in the whole tournament - against Albania
He played in a three man midfield for pretty much the entire tournament. There were always three midfielders on the pitch. Get your facts right before claiming things so categorically.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rashford is of course incredbily exciting but Ibra has to be the main man. He leads the line, rashford rotates in for him or plays alongside him at times. He'll get plenty of game time, but its important we dont rely on him or put too much pressure on him. Ibra being the main guy will help all the others with their development and give them more freedom. Also the perfect sub in terms of impact, rashford for ibra. Will killkill tired defences

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Anything without Rooney tbh. Or if Rooney has to play, Rashford instead of Ibra in front.

Sigma

I've seen you make so many statements about players like "he's better than X"
Your putting words in my mouth now :lol:, I've consistently said he is extremely overrated on this forum.

He played in a three man midfield for pretty much the entire tournament. There were always three midfielders on the pitch. Get your facts right before claiming things so categorically.
This was the official formation:

Sissoko was given the right to go forward, Pogba wasn't. He was playing alongside Matuidi which allowed Sissoko (in the position he plays for Newcastle) to get forward. Get your facts right.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I honestly haven't a clue. Really can't remember the last time we had so many exciting attacking players vying for places, .
Indeed.
It seemed very strange that LVG would get rid of our strikers, leaving Rooney with no competition for first team striker.
Ultimately, Rooney's paltry 8 league goals sunk LVG.

Massive Spanner

Your putting words in my mouth now :lol:, I've consistently said he is extremely overrated on this forum.

This was the official formation:

Sissoko was given the right to go forward, Pogba wasn't. He was playing alongside Matuidi which allowed Sissoko (in the position he plays for Newcastle to get forward). Get your facts right.
I wasn't talking about a specific player, who's overrated?

Right but ... he was in a three man midfield. Not a two man one. Even if you take the semi's and final's away, that's two out of the six games he played where he wasn't the furthest forward in a midfield three.

T'is an incorrect statement, it's ok to admit it.

Sigma

I wasn't talking about a specific player, who's overrated?

Right but ... he was in a three man midfield. Not a two man one. Even if you take the semi's and final's away, that's two out of the six games he played where he wasn't the furthest forward in a midfield three.

T'is an incorrect statement, it's ok to admit it.
Pogba is overrated.

OK, I should have said he played in a 3 man midfield and a 2 man midfield (where he was distinctly average) for France in the Euros. You happy now?

This is not even the point of what we were talking about. Pogba cannot play in a 2 man midfield. He can't play as one of the 2 deepest midfield players.

Massive Spanner

Pogba is overrated.

OK, I should have said he played in a 3 man midfield and a 2 man midfield (where he was distinctly average) for France in the Euros. You happy now?

This is not even the point of what we were talking about. Pogba cannot play in a 2 man midfield. He can't play as one of the 2 deepest midfield players.
I don't even disagree with your main point, I just think it's hilarious that you quoted yourself to prove yourself right.

Ruffian

Supports
Liverpool
I'd have Ibramuzzyvic as an impact sub. You're better off with Rashford, Mikhitaryan and Martial. With Mata slightly withdrawn.

hobbers

If I had to drop one it would be Rooney, but I think it's fine for Rashford to have a season where he's only starting every other game. Mkhitaryan and Ibrah (and hopefully Rooney if he isn't up to scratch) are likely to be rotated fairly often so he'll still have plenty of chances.

Rooney and Ibrah will probably not play too much in the Europa group stage so that opens up a lot of game time for the likes of Rashford and Depay. ie

Premier League:
Mkhitaryan - Rooney - Martial
Ibrahimovic
Midweek Europa/Cup games:
Lingard - Mata - Depay
Rashford​

Sylar

Id want a front three of Zlatan, Martial and Mkhitaryan especially if we can get Pogba.

If we did go front four, id like to see Zlatan and Rashford swapping with each other but Zlatan dropping a bit deeper like he does and Rashford stretching the play.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'd have Ibramuzzyvic as an impact sub. You're better off with Rashford, Mikhitaryan and Martial. With Mata slightly withdrawn.
Zlatan is far too good to be an impact sub. 50 goals in 51 games last season says it all.

surf

It's hard to say as there will be much variation within and between games. It will help if the slow players Ibra, Rooney, Mata are only on the field one at a time.

Devil may care

------------Ibra
Martial----Micki----Rashford

Front 3 for me.
Martial, Zlatan and Mkhitaryan.
I don't think Rooney and Zlatan can play together and Zlatan is still a better striker than Rashford.
This is what I'd go for as well with a Carrick/Pogba/Herrera midfield.

Ruffian

Supports
Liverpool
One does not misspell Zlatan's surname :nono:
Yes, I now realise one should never take deities lightly, so I will self punish by promising to watch one of your matches live next season.

Dyslexic Untied

Mata has been productive this pre season, and had a few great passes through the defence today as well. Atm I would probably prefer him starting behind the attack instead of Rooney. Zlatan, Mhik and Martial front three.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Horses for courses etc. Rashford is the key. Have him on early if we want to tire a defense (and their bench) out, or bring on him on 20 mins before the end when they are tired.

Hed Zitin

Rashford, Martial, Ibra and Mkhitarian. We need three pacy attackers playing.

I don't want to see that slow front pairing.

Dir Wangem

We're in a tough spot, that's for sure. I love Zlatan and I think that there are only 2 center forwards that you can claim is better than him right now(Suarez and Aguero). Having said that though, we do need someone mobile and versatile to play behind him. A bundle of energy, basically. We have a player like that in Mkhitaryan, but then who plays on the right?

Mata?
It seems unlikely with Mourinho in charge. It also messes up a golden opportunity to have skill and pace on both sides, something which we haven't had since 2011.

Rashford?
He seems like the obvious answer, and while I do agree that he's the best option, where does that leave our bench? I don't think Rooney, Memphis and Lingard is a very frightening bench, attacking wise. Switching to a 4-4-2 to accomodate Rashford is never going to happen. Mourinho doesn't like the formation, it forces Mkhitaryan and Martial too wide, and it doesn't solve our bench problems. For now, I think it's wise to let Rashford come off the bench, or start when some of our starters are injured.

This basically leaves us with Lingard. I think it's a project worth testing for now. He's quick, technical, has a decent shot, and has been promising at times. Admittedly, he's not a player that screams 'United quality'(yet), but I'd much rather have him on the right, than Rooney behind Zlatan. So in conclusion:

Lingard - Mkhitaryan - Martial
----------- Zlatan ----------

Rashford to come on as a sub with 30 minutes left on the clock.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't really have one - we have so many potential fixtures (along with possible random injuries along the way) that I'm sure Jose will rotate players regularly to where there will be no static front 4.

Slavkov

This is one of the most difficult questions about selection for a very long time. It means we are going in the right direction and I am really pleased and excited about it...I must go for Martial Mkhitaryan Rooney and Rashford with Rooney,Ibra and Depay in the rotation. Lingard should go, he has no qualities to be in the same squad as those players