Your Premier League All-Time Openly Gay XI

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Including players who have come out after hanging up their boots.

Here's mine

There may be others but I don't know of them. Justin Fashanu just missed out, last playing for a top English side in 1990.

Does it matter that Footballers don't want to come out, perhaps because of fear of abuse from the terraces, or abuse within the changing room, or possibly loss of sponsorship? Maybe it doesn't, it's a personal choice and in a highly visible, emotionally charged, public role where 95% of the fans are against you at the best of times perhaps it's wise to stay quiet. And it's not as though other minorities are not also unrepresented. There are no Indian Premier League players either. Although gay footballers are presumably there, knowing that by coming out they could be a role model to tens of thousands of young gay teens. But they still choose not to do so, for reasons.

Across the world, when the home of football (Brazil) can elect a homophobe as president, the world wonders how. Most of his supporters won't agree with his views, but who will stand up for the LGBT community if the gay footballers can't stand up to homophobia within the English game?

Perhaps we should all fight those chanting abuse from the terraces or the pub garden.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Get the point but think it's necessary. There aren't any openly gay football players in the premier League. I don't blame them, because they're going to get abuse when it happens.

I know one player in particular who's gay, and was reported to be coming out a few years back, but got cold feet in the end. Don't know him personally per se, but the jist I got was he didnt follow through because of the abuse he thought he'd recieve.

A real shame but understandable.

Panther

Does it matter that Footballers don't want to come out, perhaps because of fear of abuse from the terraces, or abuse within the changing room, or possibly loss of sponsorship?
It does matter because anyone should feel comfortable with being themselves in a public scope. Even black footballers are racially abused in the English game still so I can understand why gay footballers would feel pressured to come out. There's also the media pressure and the label of being "the first openly gay Premier League footballer" which would add to the problems they'd face.

Maybe it doesn't, it's a personal choice and in a highly visible, emotionally charged, public role where 95% of the fans are against you at the best of times perhaps it's wise to stay quiet.
I wouldn't say 95% of fans would be against you, a lot of fans but not that many, I assume that most people would be impartial to a players' sexuality.

And it's not as though other minorities are not also unrepresented. There are no Indian Premier League players either.
I mean there's a lot of nationalities in the Premier League. India just hasn't produced a player good enough to play for a Premier League team. China have also only ever had 5 players play in the league too and zero for the past 12 seasons. The US have only 3 players in the Premier League at the moment. In fact, the top 5 most populous countries represent 50% of the world's population (3.5bn people) yet only 4 are playing in the PL.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I wouldn't say 95% of fans would be against you, a lot of fans but not that many, I assume that most people would be impartial to a players' sexuality.
That was more of a point that, if you play for West Ham, then 19 out of 20 Premier League fans hate your team. And that's mostly true of every team, because there are 20 Premier League clubs and only a tiny fraction of players play for the "globally" supported ones which tend to be hated even more than most.

Kawasaki

We need a more understanding public and media before anything changes. I'd like to think a few high-profile players coming out would be the catalyst but I'm unsure if it would change perception quickly enough for it not to be a nightmare for the player(s) personally.

The media like to poke fun at players buying a couple of sausage rolls at Greggs or if they're within fifty yards of a pub. There's no telling what they'd do if/when somebody came out as gay.

It's really sad but keeping a low profile is probably the best situation for the individuals themselves as it stands.

Reactions: Snowjoe

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s important that everyone should feel like they can come out, but I don’t think there should be pressure on them to do so. So what if they’d be a pioneer or whatever, it’s up to them and I don’t get those who look down on people who choose to keep their private life private.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I think it’d be a good thing for a younger generation of gay people to have more role models in sports like football but I definitely don’t blame any gay pros for not coming out publicly considering what they would go through.

I don’t think being gay should automatically mean you have a duty to put yourself out there.

FujiVice

I've been to matches where people have chanted things about a players disabled son. I can absolutely see why someone wouldnt come out. There's so much pond life that attend football matches, do you want to put yourself out there to this kind of abuse? It maybe 2019, but it doesnt feel like it when you go to some grounds.

Negan

They don’t come out as straight so why should they come out as gay? If there are any, I’m sure their team mates and possible opponents who know them would know. But why would it be any of our business anyway?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They don’t come out as straight so why should they come out as gay? If there are any, I’m sure their team mates and possible opponents who know them would know. But why would it be any of our business anyway?
*sigh*

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Why on earth would a player come out as straight?

nemanja nemagic

I remember hearing years ago that Graeme Le Saux was.
I don't think he is, but rumours swirled at the time because he was fairly quiet, enjoyed reading books and drinking red wine. I shit you not.

Shows the stone-age mentality of football in the 90s that has moved on a little bit...still a long way to go though

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Why would he come out as gay?
Because it would likely allow others, who may be too 'scared' to do so despite having the desire, to do the same? I'm sure not everybody wants people to know their sexual preference, but there is no way people should feel uncomfortable or not want people to know for this reason.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I don't know if you guys have ever read comments on posts made by United, or any other club, which support the LGBT community, but it is horrific. A huge amount of disgusting comments.

There'd be abuse in stadiums for sure, but that would only be the tip of the iceberg. I honestly believe that clubs would experience a notable loss of revenue in certain corners of the world, especially clubs with a global fanbase.

I know that shouldn't even come into the debate at all and hopefully it is not a factor that has ever been considered, a cynical part of me feels like cover ups could have occurred in the past for this reason.

Minimalist

I don't think he is, but rumours swirled at the time because he was fairly quiet, enjoyed reading books and drinking red wine. I shit you not.

Shows the stone-age mentality of football in the 90s that has moved on a little bit...still a long way to go though
TIL: I'm gay.

youngrell

I don't know if you guys have ever read comments on posts made by United, or any other club, which support the LGBT community, but it is horrific. A huge amount of disgusting comments.
You're not wrong. Even just a change of profile pic to include a rainbow is met by angry face reactions. It baffles me that people get so wound up by something like that, and that they feel the need to publicly display it.

It would be great if a few high profile players could come out at the same time, leading to others feeling comfortable to do so. Not that it matters to me.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The utterly toxic response that the rainbow/pride stuff gets when football takes part in that on social media is more than enough justification as to why a homosexual footballer would not choose to come out whilst still playing. Football fandom is populated by far too many vocal knuckle draggers.

If I were a gay footballer, no chance I'd come out. And I'd bet the abuse wouldn't just be limited to terraces and social media. I'm pretty certain football is also played professionally by a fair share of knuckle draggers as well.

It's a massive shame that there is quite likely a significant number of young men who feel imprisoned by prejudice in football. I honestly have no idea how it can be combated either.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The utterly toxic response that the rainbow/pride stuff gets when football takes part in that on social media is more than enough justification as to why a homosexual footballer would not choose to come out whilst still playing. Football fandom is populated by far too many vocal knuckle draggers.

If I were a gay footballer, no chance I'd come out. And I'd bet the abuse wouldn't just be limited to terraces and social media. I'm pretty certain football is also played professionally by a fair share of knuckle draggers as well.

It's a massive shame that there is quite likely a significant number of young men who feel imprisoned by prejudice in football. I honestly have no idea how it can be combated either.
Not to stereo type a nation but following Cities facebook and seeing the Algerian Mahrez fans every time City post something rainbow related disgusts me. They are bad enough when Mahrez is benched but on those things they are vile. I know 100% not Algerians are like this so its not a slight on them, just something I noticed. It's constantly "I can't believe Mahrez would play for a gay club" etc... and gets worse. They aren't the only ones but a very noticeable percentage. Its kind of horrible.

That said I kind of agree with Negans earlier post, they don't need to come out, if they do fair play. Their private life is their private life and as long as they are comfortable in their shoes I'm happy for them.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Coming out in public is most likely a ridiculous concept to most gay footballers. What business do the public have in knowing about their sexuality? It might be hard to grasp but footballers are just doing a job, the vast majority didn't sign up to be role models.

There is obvious homophobia in football, but that has to do with the demographics that football attracts. That's also why racism is alive and well in football as well. Pinning the responsibility on the players is in my opinion not justified, the clubs and regulatory bodies are the ones that hold the power to make change.

Bwuk

Think it’s a very sad state of affairs that they have to worry about coming out due to the abuse they’d probably receive from idiots in the stands.

Why anyone would care what another man does with his penis as long as it’s legal is beyond me.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
People don't come out as straight because the assumed default setting for our sexuality is hetero.

SteveW

I'd like to think we're not too far away from a time when players feel they can come out.

That said I'd also like to live in a world where people didn't feel the need to know this stuff. Why do people even care if some footballer likes men or women? Can't say I give a shit.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This is becoming like the social column from "The Sun". Coming next, Jerry Springer will host Mourinho and Pogba reunion...

Minimalist

I'd like to think we're not too far away from a time when players feel they can come out.

That said I'd also like to live in a world where people didn't feel the need to know this stuff. Why do people even care if some footballer likes men or women? Can't say I give a shit.
But it's not like (straight) footballers don't have famous relationships or that you see them getting married in OK magazine.

It is nobodies business but straight footballers can clearly be more open about their lives.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But it's not like (straight) footballers don't have famous relationships or that you see them getting married in OK magazine.

It is nobodies business but straight footballers can clearly be more open about their lives.
Aye. Forget coming out publicly, the media and social media scrutiny they face would mean they'd struggle to be open in their private lives without being outed. That's awful pressure for someone to feel they're under.

If I were a gay footballer I think I'd be far less worried about abuse from the crowd (which professionals largely learn to block out anyway, I think) than the reaction from inside the industry itself. I can't imagine it wouldn't have some sort of negative impact on their career, especially if they're a relatively mid-level footballer.

Kag

Ay, I don’t think the crowds at matches are the issue. Moreso the relentless expectation and scrutiny upon said footballer to be the ‘face’ of gay footballers nationwide.

It isn’t just ‘coming out’. That’s (perhaps) the easy part. It’s the interviews that follow. The intense media coverage. The expectation - particularly from an often judgemental LGBT community - to carry the flag for future sportspeople. Some embrace it - Tom Daley, Gareth Thomas etc. - but I can certainly see how footballers may view it as an unnecessary distraction to an otherwise hectic and demanding career.

I think it will take one very brave bloke to confront all of that, then the rest can do so without the same stress.

Drawfull

My brother went through full change to female, and I have to be honest, it's still difficult to understand the reasoning, but imagine the pressure and scrutiny that football players are under socially and you can understand why it's hard to come out. Half my family disowned her.

I disagree that the comments from within would be worse that the public ones to take, I think now, it's more acceptable and if you're in a close knit group you'll instinctively know in any case. Social media would be a feckaroo.

As for players in the top flight that could be added? Some you could guess, but I'm not about to get sued by a millionaire and they'll come out when they're ready. Shit that they can't, really.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s not natural that there has been literally thousands of Premier League footballers and only one was openly gay.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Not to stereo type a nation but following Cities facebook and seeing the Algerian Mahrez fans every time City post something rainbow related disgusts me. They are bad enough when Mahrez is benched but on those things they are vile. I know 100% not Algerians are like this so its not a slight on them, just something I noticed. It's constantly "I can't believe Mahrez would play for a gay club" etc... and gets worse. They aren't the only ones but a very noticeable percentage. Its kind of horrible.

That said I kind of agree with Negans earlier post, they don't need to come out, if they do fair play. Their private life is their private life and as long as they are comfortable in their shoes I'm happy for them.
Sure, if they are happy to keep their pirate life entirely private, then all power to them. It must be very difficult to do that as a top level footballer. Social media snitches are everywhere. Feeling like you can't even go on a date in a public place worried that you'll be spotted and outed must be very difficult to deal with. The partner must be sworn to secrecy and be 100% trustworthy too. If one of the partner's friends or family catches wind they're dating a PL footballer, they'd be selling that to Heat magazine in an instant, because people are shit.

As someone else has said, aside from the abuse and targeting, the pressure of being the face and representative of gay footballers must be enormous too.

As much as I hope we are much closer to openly gay footballers and a greater tolerance throughout football, the more you break it down it appears even further away.

Bola

Including players who have come out after hanging up their boots.

Here's mine

There may be others but I don't know of them. Justin Fashanu just missed out, last playing for a top English side in 1990.

Does it matter that Footballers don't want to come out, perhaps because of fear of abuse from the terraces, or abuse within the changing room, or possibly loss of sponsorship? Maybe it doesn't, it's a personal choice and in a highly visible, emotionally charged, public role where 95% of the fans are against you at the best of times perhaps it's wise to stay quiet. And it's not as though other minorities are not also unrepresented. There are no Indian Premier League players either. Although gay footballers are presumably there, knowing that by coming out they could be a role model to tens of thousands of young gay teens. But they still choose not to do so, for reasons.

Across the world, when the home of football (Brazil) can elect a homophobe as president, the world wonders how. Most of his supporters won't agree with his views, but who will stand up for the LGBT community if the gay footballers can't stand up to homophobia within the English game?

Perhaps we should all fight those chanting abuse from the terraces or the pub garden.
Its completely the choice of the I individual whatever they declare or don't declare their sexuality. They are footballers doing a job first and foremost, if they can play another role then that's their choice.

On your last point, I was wondering what the policy is in British Stadiums regarding the reporting of homophobic abuse? A strong reporting system would help stamp out abuse from supporters who have regressive mindsets when it comes to sexuality