Your realistic United XI in two years

spenzo

--------------------------------De Gea ----------------------------
Fabinho-----------Smalling-- Bailly--------Shaw
--------------------Pereira---TFM' Pogba-----------------
Rashford------------------------------------------Martial
-----------------------------Griezmann--------------

Probably my inner muppet but I think we'll g for and get Griezmann next summer. Centre back was where I was most unsure as who knows how Smalling will be by then or how Bailly will develop however I'd be expecting Tuanzebe to be getting a lot of games in two years time, my optimistic side says he'll be starting but over who I don't know.

I'd hope we'd get Ruben Neves by then and he'd rotate with Pereira/TFM depending on what the aim of the game is. By this time I hope we try and poach Ousmane Dembele (hurts a lot we didn't go for/manage to get him). Although Rashford would be on the right I think it'd work with Griezmann as Marcus could come central and Griezmann could float around which is when he looks best. Riley, CBJ and Mitchell will be in the squad regularly by then I think plus some other youngster from the academy or elsewhere that no one would/could predict.

Dante

Average bang
I reckon Martial is going to end up playing in the middle. We'll buy another left winger after Ibrahimovic leaves.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Bonucci sounds perfect based on this profile, but I doubt Juve will sell to United regardless of what happens to the Pogba saga. Who do you reckon can fill this role?
Beats me, man. Bonucci would be a heaven-send for our team, but like you pointed out - that deal would happen only in La La Land. Godín and Thiago are two obvious, world class solutions, and fit the requisite profile to the tee, but Atlético and PSG won't let them go. Pepe would've been another decent addition given that he's a bit of a cock, an effective hatchet man, and a defensive leader (of sorts), but José had a falling out with him at Madrid after thrusting Varane into the starting XI. Beyond that category, you'll have exceedingly shaky options which could go either way - Garay, Mustafi and co. Mostly because there's a dearth of genuinely class central defenders these days (beyond the Top 6-7), and the best ones are already at big clubs.

Considering that, our next best bet might be to snap up the best pure defender of his generation in Giménez. On the opposite end of the experience spectrum, which is a tad counter-intuitive - but he's definitely going to be a 'leader of men' in 2-3 years, and has started flirting with world class status at 21 years of age; offering advanced positional awareness, very good athleticism, seemingly natural defensive nous, and warrior mentality in the tackle:
Put him next to Smalling or Bailly, and while you might not get immediate results - because he's still a bit inconsistent without Godín's help, I'd be a very happy camper in 2-3 seasons when we have Shaw/Giménez/Bailly/ being in, or getting close to their prime footballing years with Smalling as the most experienced player of the year. All of that personnel continuity and systemic experience under Mourinho being backed up by De Gea would hold us in good stead.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
De Gea
RB - Smalling/Bailly - CB - Shaw
DM - Pogba*
Mkhitaryan - No.10 - Martial
ST
*Assuming the Pogba deal is done.

wiz4231

De Gea
J. Pereira

Darmian...Smalling.........V. Dijk....J. Hector
Mensah...Tuenzebe....C.B. Jackson...Shaw

*Herrera......K. Strootman
A. Pereira..............S. Goss

C. Vela..................Mata............Mkhitaryan
Wilson.................Januzaj.................Martial

P. Aubameyang
Rashford

*Pogba if we get him​

Last edited:

davidmichael

I can see De Gea, Fabinho, Smalling/Williams, Bailly/Oxford, Shaw/Borthwick-Jackson, Alli/Periera, Fosu-Mensah/Schneiderlin, Pogba, Bale/Mhkitaran, Rashford, Martial/Lingard being our core squad.

Fortis Mente

It's impossible to predict, but if I were to guess I would say it will be something like this -

De Gea

Fabinho Mike/Gimenez Bailly Shaw

TFM/Neves Pogba

Mkhi Griezmann Martial

Rashford

This is what I am hoping it will be anyway.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
---------------De Gea---------------
???---Fosu-Mensah---Bailly---Shaw
-----------???-------Pogba-----------
???---------Griezmann---------Martial
--------------Rashford--------------

Fortis Mente

---------------De Gea---------------
???---Fosu-Mensah---Bailly---Shaw
-----------???-------Pogba-----------
???---------Griezmann---------Martial
--------------Rashford--------------
You think Mensah is a CB? I personally think he's more suited to the DM role.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Some very unrealistic lineups.. people are way too optimistic about our youngsters. We have a good bunch coming through but none of them are the finished article and any one of them could flop including TFM and Rashford. Those two and Periera are definitely EPL starter material but question is are they title winning XI material and would they be content to be bit part players at United or starters at say a Spurs etc. I wouldnt be surprised if there was a mass scale revamp in two years or even if someone like Mkhitaryan found himself on the bench if he wasn't doing the business out wide. Still think his ideal position is as a 10.
DdG
New Rb - Bailly - Cb - Shaw or new LB
New CDM
New CM - Pogba
Rw - New CF - Martial

DdG
New RB - Bailly - Smalling - Shaw
CDM CM
Pogba
Mkhitaryan - New CF - Martial

Second line up is what I'd be happy to see in a few years but wouldn't be surprised if we see massive ins and outs next year.​

MounchesterUtd

I wouldnt be surprised if there was a mass scale revamp in two years or even if someone like Mkhitaryan found himself on the bench if he wasn't doing the business out wide. Still think his ideal position is as a 10.
Interesting. Jose never had to overhaul a team in his two Chelsea stints, Madrid and Inter. Just flush out the deadwood, get more 1-2 key players in and make the team more balanced in the case of Madrid and Chelsea 2.0.

Then again, he has yet to inherit a team in the same predicament as United.

liamp

De Gea; [new RB], Tuanzebe, Bailly, [new LB]; [2 new midfielders], Pogba; Mkhitaryan, [new striker], Martial

Jaap

De Gea
J. Pereira

Darmian...Smalling.........V. Dijk....J. Hector
Mensah...Tuenzebe....C.B. Jackson...Shaw

*Herrera......K. Strootman
A. Pereira..............S. Goss

C. Vela..................Mata............Mkhitaryan
Wilson.................Januzaj.................Martial

P. Aubameyang
Rashford

*Pogba if we get him​
Are you Louis van Gaal?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Interesting. Jose never had to overhaul a team in his two Chelsea stints, Madrid and Inter. Just flush out the deadwood, get more 1-2 key players in and make the team more balanced in the case of Madrid and Chelsea 2.0.

Then again, he has yet to inherit a team in the same predicament as United.
At Inter he replaced half the first team and at Chelsea he brought an entire team in his first stint and in the second he brought Fab, Costa, Matic, Willian, replaced Cech.. he basically gave the team an entirely new identity.

The guy is the best revamp manager in the world. He's the master at quick analysis and knowing how to transform fortunes quickly. That is why we will lose shitloads of players by September because most of them are not upto playing for United.

MounchesterUtd

At Inter he replaced half the first team and at Chelsea he brought an entire team in his first stint and in the second he brought Fab, Costa, Matic, Willian, replaced Cech.. he basically gave the team an entirely new identity.

The guy is the best revamp manager in the world. He's the master at quick analysis and knowing how to transform fortunes quickly. That is why we will lose shitloads of players by September because most of them are not upto playing for United.
He only got rid of Zlatan at Inter, and that was in his second year already. Cambiasso, Zanetti, Stankovic, Maicon, Julio Cesar, Figo, Materazi, Chivu etc were all already with them:

http://www.italianfootballdaily.com/calcio-tactics-through-time-jose-mourinhos-inter-milan-2008-10/

His first Chelsea team already had the foundations laid by Ranieri - Lampard, Terry, Makelele, Duff, Cole, while Robben was a Ranieri signing. Fair enough, let's give him credit for introducing Cech, Drogba and the Portuguese trio but I personally won't say he bought a new team:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004–05_Chelsea_F.C._season

I concede that he did dismantle his second Chelsea team though, for some reason I forgot just how many players he moved in such a short period.

soulblight3r

RW: Until we get a dominant rightback, having a genuine outside threat should be a priority. Mkhitaryan will probably play there in 2015/2016 - but he does his best work coming slightly inside - leaving the outside channel under-utilized. If we get that dominant rightback, you can put Mkhitaryan on the RW - with the freedom to drift inwards, and get a #10. But as things stand, he'd better as the #10 because he'll offer invention and great work-rate to mesh with Pogba (who has a propensity to abandon his defensive assignments when surging forward). If you sign a player for €100 million, you have to build around him to make him shine, to an extent; and Mkhitaryan would be a great foil for Pogba.
Pretty sure that season is already over :D

Panther

It could be. Only 4 new signings though which is a small amount considering we still have 4 transfer windows. Laporte would be a good player to partner Smalling if he doesn't go to City but they might not be interested in a season or so. Goretzka had a good season for Schalke last season and is still very young, providing he doesn't go to Real or Barcelona, we could get him. Then there's Mahrez who could build on last season, if he stays at Leicester this season and they do badly, he would definitely be wanting to leave.

De Gea
Darmian Smalling Laporte Shaw
Fosu Mensah
Pogba Goretzka
Mahrez Rashford Martial​

liamp

Why won't we have Shaw anymore?
Just a guess, but I'm concerned about his inability to stay on the pitch. I imagine that if he sustains another long injury, Mourinho or whoever is managing this club will look for a more dependable option for the starting XI.

Just a guess, but I'm concerned about his inability to stay on the pitch. I imagine that if he sustains another long injury, Mourinho or whoever is managing this club will look for a more dependable option for the starting XI.
He risked life and limb for us. We give him every opportunity in return. We're sending the wrong message to players if we don't look after him now.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
----------------------------------De Gea------------------------------------
????????------------------Smalling-----Varane----------------------Shaw
----------------------------????????------Pogba----------------------------
Reus---------------------------Mkhitaryan--------------------------Martial
------------------------------------Kane------------------------------------

dogwithabone

Two years is a long, long time in football. Personally I think DDG may well feel he's given the club everything he can by another two years time. I'd be amazed if Darmian is around in two weeks time let alone two years and for that defence to stay intact we are going to have to have had two very successful years.

It's a nice thought that the likes of Perriera will be a starter in a couple of years but the reality is that some £120m (by then) superstar will have surfaced and we will feel compelled to flex our muscle and be seen as the biggest and wealthiest out there.

By August 2018 Rashford could be one of the greatest strikers we've had in a generation or he could be on his way to Sunderland for £8m and I have this nagging feeling that Martial will, at some point, be courted by the Spanish two and be aeriously tempted.

Ephrem

De Gea
Darmian Smalling Baily Shaw
Verrati
*Pogba/Mensah Schneirdlein
Mkhitaryan Martial
Dybala

Subs: Henderson , Tuanzbe ,Williams , Rashford , Pereira , Januzaj/Gribbin ,Bazoer

Ainu

Half of the line-ups in this thread are missing Mkhitaryan. He's 29 in 2 years, why on earth would he not be a first XI player here by that time?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He only got rid of Zlatan at Inter, and that was in his second year already. Cambiasso, Zanetti, Stankovic, Maicon, Julio Cesar, Figo, Materazi, Chivu etc were all already with them:

http://www.italianfootballdaily.com/calcio-tactics-through-time-jose-mourinhos-inter-milan-2008-10/

His first Chelsea team already had the foundations laid by Ranieri - Lampard, Terry, Makelele, Duff, Cole, while Robben was a Ranieri signing. Fair enough, let's give him credit for introducing Cech, Drogba and the Portuguese trio but I personally won't say he bought a new team:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004–05_Chelsea_F.C._season

I concede that he did dismantle his second Chelsea team though, for some reason I forgot just how many players he moved in such a short period.

Milito, Eto'o, Sneijder, Motta, Lucio, Pandev.. all came in the 09/10 window
, so you're wrong. That is practically the spine of the team, CF, AM, DM, CB.

The team at Chelsea, was of course built by Ranieri.. but you're forgetting they had been brought the same year Mourinho had arrived and he obviously had decided most of them were good players and look at the names on that list.. world class players whereas LVG has brought very poorly in general.

Jose still brought a ton of players during his time there. In 04/05, he brought in addition to Ranieri's pre planned signings, Drogba and the portguese trio like you mentioned and he sold/released 25 players.

MounchesterUtd

Milito, Eto'o, Sneijder, Motta, Lucio, Pandev.. all came in the 09/10 window, so you're wrong. That is practically the spine of the team, CF, AM, DM, CB.
His first choice DM was Cambiasso so you're clearly wrong. Anyone who actually watched Jose's Inter knows this.

He did buy Pandev, but he mostly came on as a sub. Hardly what I consider a key player.

So that leaves Milito, Eto'o, Sneijder and Lucio. Let's add Motta too, even if his starting CM spot was often shared together with Muntari and Zanetti. Hardly what I will call "overhauling the team" which is my point to begin with.

The team at Chelsea, was of course built by Ranieri.. but you're forgetting they had been brought the same year Mourinho had arrived and he obviously had decided most of them were good players and look at the names on that list.. world class players whereas LVG has brought very poorly in general.

Jose still brought a ton of players during his time there. In 04/05, he brought in addition to Ranieri's pre planned signings, Drogba and the portguese trio like you mentioned and he sold/released 25 players.
Jose bought well but make no mistake about it, that was a very solid team he walked into in 2004. Don't get me wrong as Mou is my favorite manager ever, but like I said, he has never rebuilt a team - most definitely not to the extent that some people are predicting here with 8-9 out of 11 new players in two years. The players he brought to Chelsea 1.0 were icing on the top, but that foundation was Ranieri's.

None of the sold/released players during his time where of any use, as like I said, that's what he does. Clear the deadwood. Actually rebuild a side from top to bottom? Nope, he's not the man for the job.

Last edited:

Dec9003

I wouldn't mind something like
4-3-3
DDG
Rb:Florenzi/Kimmich
Rcb:Manolas
Lcb:Bailly
Lb:Maybe Shaw if not Gaya from Valencia
Dm:Weigl or Carvalho
lcm:Pereira
Rcm:Pogba if he signs If not Koke
Lw:Martial
St:Rashford or Dybala if Rashford doesn't profess
Rw:Mkhy

It's hard to do when really we don't know what our team will even look like come this September. I'd like something like that but it depends on what Mourinho wants from the side obviously.
I think that could be a good side though especially if the players we have now kick on.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
His first choice DM was Cambiasso so you're clearly wrong. Anyone who actually watched Jose's Inter knows this.

He did buy Pandev, but he mostly came on as a sub. Hardly what I consider a key player.

So that leaves Milito, Eto'o, Sneijder and Lucio. Let's add Motta too, even if his starting CM spot was often shared together with Muntari and Zanetti. Hardly what I will call "overhauling the team" which is my point to begin with.

Jose bought well but make no mistake about it, that was a very solid team he walked into in 2004. Don't get me wrong as Mou is my favorite manager ever, but like I said, he has never rebuilt a team - most definitely not to the extent that some people are predicting here with 8-9 out of 11 new players in two years. The players he brought to Chelsea 1.0 were icing on the top, but that foundation was Ranieri's.

None of the sold/released players during his time where of any use, as like I said, that's what he does. Clear the deadwood. Actually rebuild a side from top to bottom? Nope, he's not the man for the job.
You would be hard pressed to find another manager in world football that would produce such instantaneous changes and undergo such a rapid overhaul of squads.. and do it successfully, across a number of clubs.

DWelbz19

Sorry mate, forget to add Messi, Neymar, bale, Reus, Hazard, Kane etc
There is a middle ground between the likes of Messi, Neymar, Bale and then Strootman, Van Dijk, Hector... And I think it's very likely that middle ground is where most of our signings will fall.

MounchesterUtd

You would be hard pressed to find another manager in world football that would produce such instantaneous changes and undergo such a rapid overhaul of squads.. and do it successfully, across a number of clubs.
We must have vastly different definitions of the words overhaul and rebuild so let's agree to disagree.

wiz4231

There is a middle ground between the likes of Messi, Neymar, Bale and then Strootman, Van Dijk, Hector... And I think it's very likely that middle ground is where most of our signings will fall.
The difference is obvious when comparing defence to attack. Strootman, Van Dijk and Hector would improve us a lot. Blind, Morgan aren't good enough in midfield an aging Carrick is better, Strootman if he gets back to how good he was before his injury would be a massive improvement. Van Dijk a solid defender with PL experience has all the hallmark that would be the perfect partner to Smalling, he's also better than what we currently have, Jones, Rojo, Blind and Bailly. Hector a good LB who would provide cover for Shaw and he is a LB not a player we would be playing out of position. They're not elite world class signing but at the current time a massive improvement on what we have.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De gea
**** Smalling Bailly Shaw
Pogba - **** - Pereira/****
Mkhitaryan Rashford Martial
Something like this. Could possibly be TFM in for either the defensive mid or right back, if he develops well. Pereira I have high hopes for but could possibly be a new signing. His style would compliment Pogba really well in front of a good holding midfielder though. Hopefully Rashford develops nicely as well and can make that spot his own once Ibra is gone. Confident with what I've seen from de gea, smalling, bailly, shaw, mkhitaryan and Martial that they'll be obvious starters barring surprise transfers from them. Same with Pogba. So really the question marks are right back, 2 midfielders next to Pogba and striker, with at least 2 of those positions we hope our very promising youngsters will fill.