g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Your thoughts on the players that have left us this season.

The Azzurri

Just a random thought...

Which of the players that has left us for various reasons do u think deserve to be 'let go' by LVG, and which are those u think could've still contribute for United one way or the other?

Which of the players do u feel disappointed that United had sold?

Personally, I do feel LVG generally got it right, most of the players gone are passengers,dead woods and potential trouble-makers in the team.

What I'm concern about is we did not properly replace those that has left and we are going to be left with a pretty thin squad challenging for all 3 major trophies.

But hey I'm still hoping we'll bring in a player or 2 b4 the window closes.

Discuss

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The players we've let go are all fine by me. Players like Di Maria for example, if anybody regrets that sale they're regretting the player he could've been, not the player he was for us.

The idea of not adequately replacing players is a concern. But that's not to dwell on who has gone, that's more to do with the concern I've had all summer. That this team doesn't have enough goals in it. A lot of people talked about the defence but the strengthening of our midfield was always going to have an affect on our defence and so it has.

Goals though, they're a concern. However we've looked better than Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and Spurs, so we're not in a bad place. Who knows, we get somebody who gets us 15 goals between now and deadline day and we look a lot stronger.

foolsgold

No real issues with any of them, Da Silva is the only one that I thought was a potential first team player.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
They all should of left. I love Rafael but, Van Gaal obviously did not rate him plus we signed a quality RB in Darmian.

Name Changed

weso26
I think it all depends on who comes in, if any. I'm happy selling certain players once they are adequately replaced.

Varun

Staff
Only 2 worth any sort of second d consideration.

Di Maria - Superb player but quite clearly wanted to leave. feck him.

Rafael - My favourite player at the club :(. Loved him to bits but Van Gaal clearly didn't rate him and with us getting Darmian, it's a good move for all concerned.

In short, no regrets.

kiristao

Falcao: Had to go. Too much money for someone who didn't show a glimpse of getting amy better
RVP: had a poor last season. Was not getting any younger. But we need to sign a top quality striker to replace him.
Evans: Don't think he would get a game and we got a decent amount for him
Rafael: would have prefered if he was not sold and kept as a backup for Darmian. Much rather have Rafael then Valencia as the backup RB
Di Maria: He never fit in the Van Gaal system but I would have preferred if he stayed another season but the way he behaved I am glad to see him go
Nani: decent squad player and would have liked for him to stay

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
No one besides Van Persie and Rafael. I would have moved Valencia and Hernandez instead.

Sad to see Johnny leave. Always do when a talented academy player leaves, whatever may be the reason.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Should've kept Persie and possibly Nani until January at least. Rest had to go.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
none were worth keeping...its the fact that we have failed to find replacements for some which is the only problem.

The fact that most of players we've gotten rid of in the last two years have gone to much smaller clubs and hardly pulled any trees there either is worrying...the quality of players we had is too low, but glad that the deadwood is being chopped of. For that, LvG has done a great job.

Roman Bellic

Prick
I think they all deserved to be let go by LVG, his ruthless streak has really come at a good time.

Valdes is the only player i wish we could keep, simply because I'm really not sure how this DDG saga is going to play out and Romero + Valdes looks so much better than Romero + Johnstone, Valdes would be a decent back up.

United again!

Surprised nobody has mentioned Cleverley.

He was a shining light for a long time under Ferguson, not just to do with his football on the pitch. He and Welbeck stood for what the club meant, while maybe not being the most talented and best players in the world they were given patience and their example was one of what you would receive having come out of the academy.

He, like Evans aren't poor footballers by any means. They simply didn't suit Van Gaal's system going forward. I think that gets a little lost in translation sometimes.

Touseef

All right decisions for me... Most of them were not upto the standard and the likes of Di Maria and Valdes had attitude issues.

The key is how we replace them and so far we've had quality replacements... Just need a good striker though and we will be home.

Akshay

Staff

He was a shining light for a long time under Ferguson, not just to do with his football on the pitch. He and Welbeck stood for what the club meant, while maybe not being the most talented and best players in the world they were given patience and their example was one of what you would receive having come out of the academy.

He, like Evans aren't poor footballers by any means. They simply didn't suit Van Gaal's system going forward. I think that gets a little lost in translation sometimes.
They aren't poor footballers, but they certainly aren't good enough for a club like United. You just need to look at the standard of teams they have gone to to see that it doesn't have anything to do with the system or tactics and everything to do with the quality of the player. Neither of them would have given our current first-choice any competition, and that's what a good squad player should be doing.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Not bothered about any of them they all weren't good enough for us. LVG was right to get shut.

The only one I'd consider keeping was welbeck, we could've done with Keeping ahold of a player like him, he wasn't a world beater by any means but his pace and movement gave defenders a lot of problems.

United again!

They aren't poor footballers, but they certainly aren't good enough for a club like United. You just need to look at the standard of teams they have gone to to see that it doesn't have anything to do with the system or tactics and everything to do with the quality of the player. Neither of them would have given our current first-choice any competition, and that's what a good squad player should be doing.
Moving to a different team doesn't always have to be about how good the player is. Cleverley had a pretty good season at Villa last season and could quite easily have stayed there, but he chose to move to Everton, a team who's manager showed faith in him and for that faith he's playing first team football and has done quite well so far this season.

The players ability doesn't always make the circumstance. That is what I mean about lost in translation, you can't just make sweeping statements like "they aren't good enough for United". Van Gaal's United, obviously. But Martinez or Ferguson's United? For the latter, they seemed to feature quite a bit.

Evans and Cleverley both still had plenty to offer United as players, but not in this system (Evans) and without the contract that he thought he deserved two years ago (Cleverley).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its not a matter of whether they should have left but whether they should be replaced. If we dont bring an adequate replacement for RVP, ADM and Evans that we will struggle

Akshay

Staff
Moving to a different team doesn't always have to be about how good the player is. Cleverley had a pretty good season at Villa last season and could quite easily have stayed there, but he chose to move to Everton, a team who's manager showed faith in him and for that faith he's playing first team football and has done quite well so far this season.

The players ability doesn't always make the circumstance. That is what I mean about lost in translation, you can't just make sweeping statements like "they aren't good enough for United". Van Gaal's United, obviously. But Martinez or Ferguson's United? For the latter, they seemed to feature quite a bit.

Evans and Cleverley both still had plenty to offer United as players, but not in this system (Evans) and without the contract that he thought he deserved two years ago (Cleverley).
Well Cleverley wasn't really good for Ferguson's United either, he just played because we had no better midfield options and Sir Alex didn't need a midfield to win the Premier League. At no point in any season was Cleverley's performances a significant contributing factor to our success, he was purely a passenger.

As for Evans, he played alright (albeit with a mistake always around the corner) when paired with someone who directs him, but he was never going to become a top defender for us, and he didn't have the versatility of Brown or O'Shea. Fergie just got sentimental in his latter days and was unwilling to chop the deadwood.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

If the problem was LVG's system than they would have made it at another big club. Its not the case

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sad about RVP and Rafael. But I'm pleased that a clear out has taken place.

Di Maria never felt he was our player so I have no good or bad feeling about it.

Evans is a shame, but his time was up.

Nani I'll miss, probably because I've not got many to get frustrated by.

settembrini

Van Gaal has got almost all the sales spot on. Even the ones I disagreed with at the time, like Welbeck, don't bother me anymore.

Our squad was ridiculously bloated with under performing players and the reason we haven't signed replacements for many of these is because they didn't need replacing. They were deadwood, sucking up wages and playing time that our talented younger players need.

ThanksBoss26

Van Gaal has got almost all the sales spot on. Even the ones I disagreed with at the time, like Welbeck, don't bother me anymore.

Our squad was ridiculously bloated with under performing players and the reason we haven't signed replacements for many of these is because they didn't need replacing. They were deadwood, sucking up wages and playing time that our talented younger players need.
This.

Not one player we've let go do I wish we'd have kept. The squad was jam-packed with people past their best, not performing or not good enough to have even been here in the first place. Van Gaal has done very well to shift pretty much all of this in 12 months.

De Gea will be the only one that'll leave me with mixed feelings but if Madrid put the money up now, even then I think it's the right thing to sell, given the situation we find ourselves in with him.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
No real issues with any of them, Da Silva is the only one that I thought was a potential first team player.
I think Rafael was a top three RB in the PL in SAF's last season, maybe even the best of the lot, so his departure hurt a little. But Darmian has been rock solid so far and looks like the deal of the season, so no biggie after all.

I think the rest of the players sold were justified, a good clean up in my opinion. We do need a couple of replacements though.

mu77

RVP , Raffa - only left because they weren't in LVG's plans. the rest - meh.

marlowe78

The only player I regret us selling is Welbeck because even though he wasn't a great finisher, he still offered a lot and I think he would've fit well into LVG's system. We are so in need of players who can beat a man and get in behind.

Otherwise, I don't really miss anyone outside of sentimental reasons.

Revan

Assumptionman
All should have left.

Rafael was my favorite, but it was a good decision.

SirAF

Ageist
To put it short and sweet: There wasn't a single player that was sold that I had a particular desire to see the club hang on to.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No complaints. Rafael was a bummer obviously, but he wasn't playing anyway. We've since upgraded to a top right back in Darmian and no longer have to watch Valencia pretend he knows how to defend.

Revan

Assumptionman

He had three good games, and Caf went mental for him. That's it.

Momochiru

RVP, Nani, Cleverley - the only objection is the low amounts we got for them - less than 10m for the three of them is a joke.
Evans, Blackett - letting go of two defenders without bringing in replacements is very risky, especially with our injury record and the number of games we will have this year. Blackett is only on loan, but practically gone with the low buy out clause.
Di Maria - quality player, but didn't suit us and the PL, also didn't like his attitude - good riddance.
Falcao - has been very poor, we had to let go. It would be a shame if he rediscovers form for Chelsea, but we had no choice, but getting rid.
Rafael - really liked him, but his injuries ruined him - we did very well to replace him with Darmian
Valdes - is he gone? not sure what's going on with him tbh, but good riddance anyway
DDG - possibly gone. The only regret, but we did everything possible to keep him.

Overall no complains on individual basis (except for DDG). However letting go of 10 players and bringing in only 5 is risky imo, but I think LVG like to operate with smallish squad and give more opportunities to youngsters if needed, so no complains. Also I'm a bit unhappy with the business side of things - we always buy players for over-inflated price and sell them dirt cheap. From all the players above we got a reasonably good deal only for Evans.

roykeane19

No complaints with who he shipped out, but was puzzled with letting go of Nani, with our shit , forward players, we dont even have any actually. Hes been seeling players, but has not exactly replaced alot of them, and the ones he has are not exactly a huge improvement on the ones they replaced, plus he has spent alot of money