Music Your top 5 hiphop beats?

BootsyCollins

Not in order

Foesum - Dont get it twisted
Ice Cube - Ghetto Bird
CunninLynguists ft Devin The Dude - Wonderful
Bone Thugs N Harmony - No Surrender
Redman - Da Bump

five first i thought of, probably would name five others in 10 minutes. Like Aquemini, Mastermind from Deltron or something from Apollo Brown

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Also, everything Exile did on Below The Heavens but that album is a Top 5 category on its own.
Top 5 albums would be a much, much easier selection for most I think.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Because Clipse aside, the Neptunes' peak correlated with an era of hip-hop far removed from what's considered the Golden Age. Case in point, you'll see TONY listed here before N.O.R.E.'s Nothin :D

The Neptunes' discography (including their solo albums) is so good. The stuff they did with Snoop :drool:
There's a huge early 90s NY bias overall here like you alluded to, there's definitely a need to diversify these lists.
I personally consider 95-05 the true Golden Age and Neptunes definitely falls into that! But I digress, i'm just a pharrell stan :angel:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There's a huge early 90s NY bias overall here like you alluded to, there's definitely a need to diversify these lists.
I personally consider 95-05 the true Golden Age and Neptunes definitely falls into that! But I digress, i'm just a pharrell stan :angel:
I diversified properly but none of you snobs care.

Paxi

East Coast is just the best so not surprising. :)

Paxi

To be fair, your list is probably the most cultured, I just haven't heard of them :wenger:

For lyrics yeah, beats is more subjective imo.
Of course. Although I prefer the east coast bears all the way. Just hits the spot for me.

Red_Aaron

MF Doom - Beef Rap
Ghostface - Malcolm
2pac - Bury Me a G (adore that islay sample)
Jay Z - You don't know
Snoop - What's my Name

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Go on Rado, give us your top 5!
Eeesh, I love scrolling through these threads but actually picking a top 5 is basically impossible and would change probably daily.

But to throw out some love to 5 beats from a quick think that I don’t think have been mentioned (in no order):

This Is America - Childish Gambino
Oh My Darling Don’t Cry - RTJ
Coffee Bean - Travis Scott
2 of Americaz Most Wanted - Pac & Snoop
Wiley Flow - Stormzy

I find it physically impossible to sit still when any of these are on.

Paxi

Eeesh, I love scrolling through these threads but actually picking a top 5 is basically impossible and would change probably daily.

But to throw out some love to 5 beats from a quick think that I don’t think have been mentioned (in no order):

This Is America - Childish Gambino
Oh My Darling Don’t Cry - RTJ
Coffee Bean - Travis Scott
2 of Americaz Most Wanted - Pac & Snoop
Wiley Flow - Stormzy

I find it physically impossible to sit still when any of these are on.
Yeah it is impossible. :lol:
Nice list mate.

Pickle85

[
To be fair, your list is probably the most cultured, I just haven't heard of them :wenger:

For lyrics yeah, beats is more subjective imo.
Tbf, arguably the best lyricist around atm originated on the the west coast (Kendrick).

JPRouve

Scout
Personally, I was disappointed you didn't include any Saian Supa Crew.
The thing is that while they are nice, the beat that made them famous is technically hip hop but it's more of an hybrid while their more traditional hip hop is not worthy of a top 5.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The thing is that while they are nice, the beat that made them famous is technically hip hop but it's more of an hybrid while their more traditional hip hop is not worthy of a top 5.
I was joking because it's the only French group I know :lol:

Trying to impress you here, JP.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Also, everything Exile did on Below The Heavens but that album is a Top 5 category on its own.
feck yes. Blu at that point I thought was going to be the next Nas. The album is brilliant. Shame he fell off until the last year when he actually put out a decent album. Exile is brilliant

Spoony

The People's President
Superb track from an unbelievable album. Will give it listen when I’m out for a walk later this evening. :drool:
Indeed. Was a toss up between that and Mic Checka. Liked the whole Hit Squad thing... Redman's Let Me Blow Ya Mind was great.

Paxi

Indeed. Was a toss up between that and Mic Checka. Liked the whole Hit Squad thing... Redman's Let Me Blow Ya Mind was great.
Yeah red man is awesome. Muddy waters. :drool:

Pickle85

Also putting a shout for roots manuva - Witness the Fitness for pure filth. Gets everyone up and heads bouncing sooooo quickly.

Redlyn

I really like these 2 a lot:
Nuthin but a g thang - Snoop ft Dr Dre
Dreams - The game

JPRouve

Scout
This thread will be an excuse to post a clip and also, Waka Flocka Flame.

BootsyCollins

I prefer his first. I just loved that era of hip hop.
His lyrics was on point on ”Whut?”, on ”Dare” the beats was amazing but he lost a little rawness in his rhymes imo.

Muddy waters was just perfect for me. Noted that i heard all three albums for the first time around the same time. Hard to match the first time you hear a debut like Whut? I would imagine though so i probably would felt a little different if that was the case.

Spoony

The People's President
His lyrics was on point on ”Whut?”, on ”Dare” the beats was amazing but he lost a little rawness in his rhymes imo.

Muddy waters was just perfect for me. Noted that i heard all three albums for the first time around the same time. Hard to match the first time you hear a debut like Whut? I would imagine though so i probably would felt a little different if that was the case.
When it came out...I didn't know anything about Redman, but I used to watch Yo!MTV raps and he performed Blow Your Mind. He was a part of the Hit Squad with EPMD, K.Solo and Das EFX. I thought Redman's delivery style was best in his first album, sure he became more skilled but I loved that rawness - if that's the best way to describe it(I feel the same way about Ice Cube, his best stuff was by an angry Ice Cube). But yeah I'm sure I'm biased, for me that was the golden age of hip-hop.

Paxi

I prefer his first. I just loved that era of hip hop.

Redman’s flow is just incredible. Full stop.

M15 Red.

Biggie. Warning.
Klashnekoff. Murda.
Mobb Deep. Shook One 2.
Erik B and Rakim. Paid in Full
Nas. Lifes a Bitch

Changes all the time but those 5 are always top 10.

JPRouve

Scout
This thread tells me one thing, hip hop is so rich in terms of quality that we can all share a different set of top 5 and no one would be wrong.

Paxi

This thread tells me one thing, hip hop is so rich in terms of quality that we can all share a different set of top 5 and no one would be wrong.
Think the caf definitely has good taste in music.