Your Top 5 United #7s

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
1. Ronaldo - He's the best player that's ever played for the club

2. Best - I didn't see him play as I'm only 32 but by all accounts he'd probably be considered the second best that ever played for us

3. Cantona - The first player to actually have the #7 since names and numbers were on shirts and one of our best ever players

4. Robson - The best player at the club for about a decade and an absolutely phenomenal player and leader

5. Beckham - Modern day icon and one of our best players in arguably our best team. People underestimate just how great he was when the chips were down

Alexis is definitely a worthy successor given how great a player he is and how well he played at Arsenal.

I'd only swap Best with Ronaldo. Massive Eric fan but no way he's above Best and Ronnie. As for Steve Coppell ? No way he was better than Ronaldo

RRCE

2. Best - I didn't see him play as I'm only 32 but by all accounts he'd probably be considered the second best that ever played for us

3. Cantona - The first player to actually have the #7 since names and numbers were on shirts and one of our best ever players

4. Robson - The best player at the club for about a decade and an absolutely phenomenal player and leader

5. Beckham - Modern day icon and one of our best players in arguably our best team. People underestimate just how great he was when the chips were down

Alexis is definitely a worthy successor given how great a player he is and how well he played at Arsenal.
Agreed.

Jaybomb

Ronaldo
Beckham
Best
Cantona
Robson

It’s a shame the jersey is now tarnished. I still think we should have retired it after Ronaldo. Or at least left it vacant till somebody truly “earned it”... Di Maria is a cracking player and would have done it justice if he had stayed.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1. Cantona
2. Ronaldo
3. Beckham
4. Best
5. Robson

Never watched Best and Robson played hence personally can’t rate them any higher if I am being honest. But Cantona would be the ultimate no.7 for me over anyone.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Cantona made the number 7 shirt what it is in my opinion - thus I'd have him number one by far.

Norris

• Best
  • Beckham (iFor his sheer Marketing and was about the time I grew up watching United)
  • Cantona
  • Ronaldo

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Seeing as we're all buzzing about our new number 7, here's one for you: if you had to pick your top five United players to wear the #7 shirt, who would you pick, in order of preference?

I'm going to suggest that Alexis is excluded for the time being, seeing as he is yet to take to the field, but there are still plenty to choose from.

Mine would be:
  1. Eric Cantona
  2. George Best
  3. Cristiano Ronaldo
  4. Bryan Robson
  5. David Beckham
Pretty sure that's the answer.

Best would be first but while he wore the number it wasn't really 'His'.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Am I the only who thinks it's strange that this is a top 5 list? I've been a United fan for about 25 years now and there's only been like 7 players who've had the number, excluding Sanchez.

Only 3 of those players actually did anything of note as #7s. :(

SirAF

Ageist
Ronaldo
Cantona
Robson
Beckham
Owen*

*Honorable mention

Hamadovich86

Cantona
Ronaldo
Becks

Those were the ones I saw in my lifetime. Depay, Di Maria, Valencia and Owens are not worth mentioning honestly.

wolvored

Seeing as we're all buzzing about our new number 7, here's one for you: if you had to pick your top five United players to wear the #7 shirt, who would you pick, in order of preference?

I'm going to suggest that Alexis is excluded for the time being, seeing as he is yet to take to the field, but there are still plenty to choose from.

Mine would be:
  1. Eric Cantona
  2. George Best
  3. Cristiano Ronaldo
  4. Bryan Robson
  5. David Beckham
Yes I would go with that lot, just a different order. Best Robson Cantona Ronaldo Beckham

NFM

I presume most people on here are too young to have seen Georgie live , every week.
If you had there is no question who was Best no7 or no11 for that matter.
Cristiano and Eric are suitable 'best men' to the Best player ever to grace the Red of United. And United have had more than their fair share of really 'great' players from the Babes onwards.

Goku23

I never saw Best play and not even much Cantona so mine is 1 Ronaldo 2 Beckham 3 Cantona 4 and 5 I aint a clue not really seen others play only little clips

Karlkim SK

1. Cantona: "In 1992-93, Manchester United only lost twice in the league after Cantona's arrival, and finished the season as champions for the first time in 26 years."
2. Robson: our "Captain Marvel" and fearless leader. Who makes the no. 7 cool for me.
3. Ronaldo: most talented no. 7. Could be #1 if he did not leave us for Real Madrid.
4. Best: the name says it all, but I was too young to appreciate his genius.
5. Beckham: not as influential to the team as the above four (IMHO), but he is certainly in the class of our magnificent #7s.

Last edited:

MadMike

I wonder if people rate Ronaldo lowly because he left before his prime and dedicated his best years at Real. Because on ability level he was without a doubt the best I've seen in my life time in the red shirt. He won 3 titles and a CL with us in 6 years as well as a Ballon D'Or.

I love Cantona as much as the next United fan and he's pretty iconic for our club, but he never hit the heights and consistency of Ronaldo. I'm not old enough to remember Robson, never mind Best.

Karlkim SK

I wonder if people rate Ronaldo lowly because he left before his prime and dedicated his best years at Real. Because on ability level he was without a doubt the best I've seen in my life time in the red shirt. He won 3 titles and a CL with us in 6 years as well as a Ballon D'Or.

I love Cantona as much as the next United fan and he's pretty iconic for our club, but he never hit the heights and consistency of Ronaldo. I'm not old enough to remember Robson, never mind Best.
The topic is "Your Top 5 United #7s", so it's very subjective. It could also depend on your age. I have been a United fan when Bryan Robson was the best player. Although we are in the top half of the league most of the time, we have never been league champions for a long time (think about Liverpool right now). After Cantona arrived, everything changed forever. Ronaldo is certainly the best player I have seen playing under United shirt, but he left us before his prime, so I couldn't have him at the top.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

No he's not! Not even in the top 3.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
In my time of being a fan:

1. Cantona
2. Cristiano
3. Beckham

are clearly the best, three legendary players who are beyond doubt in an All-Time squad if not first 11.

Then we're probably talking:

4. Valencia (ironically did all of his best work either side of being our number 7)
5. Owen (the goal against City and lifting a title in stark contrast to a certain former club of his)

Further back the likes of Best, Robson and Coppell deserve a mention.

Denis' cuff

:) not even nearly

Not even since football was invented with Sky.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
:) not even nearly

Not even since football was invented with Sky.
He's one of the best players to ever play the game ? For me Best is 1. Ronaldo 2. But history will put Ronaldo ahead of Best due to his phenomenal achievement. I'm not sure who else comes close

Denis' cuff

He's one of the best players to ever play the game ? For me Best is 1. Ronaldo 2. But history will put Ronaldo ahead of Best due to his phenomenal achievement. I'm not sure who else comes close
As one who saw both play, Best above Ronaldo but the post I replied to said “best ever United player”

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't know about a top five but for me Cantona made the 7 shirt what it is. There were club legends who wore it before him but Cantona made the shirt itself legendary.
In the modern era perhaps but in the history of the club nobody comes close to Best.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
In my time of being a fan:

1. Cantona
2. Cristiano
3. Beckham

are clearly the best, three legendary players who are beyond doubt in an All-Time squad if not first 11.

Then we're probably talking:

4. Valencia (ironically did all of his best work either side of being our number 7)
5. Owen (the goal against City and lifting a title in stark contrast to a certain former club of his)

Further back the likes of Best, Robson and Coppell deserve a mention.
Blimey. I'm not a Utd fan but I am flabbergasted at that. Deserve a mention? Velencia, Owen and Beckham above Best?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Blimey. I'm not a Utd fan but I am flabbergasted at that. Deserve a mention? Velencia, Owen and Beckham above Best?
That picture though :drool:

In seriousness I meant my top five is only from my time as a fan. Further back it's the likes of Best, Robson and Coppell you'd mention, with the former two obviously having a claim to the top three sevens of all time.

Grande

Most legendary as United no 7:
Cantona. At Robson’s time, it wasn’t that much talk about his number.

Best as United no 7:
Longevity: Robson. Influence - Cantona. Sustained top level: Ronaldo. Best performances: Best.

Best who has been United no 7:
1. Ronaldo 2. Best. Di Maria is high on this list.

simplyared

When Besty played the system was different as we all know. Players could have different shirt numbers from one week to the next. Denis Law however will always be associated with the no 10 shirt. Besty played more often with no 11 on his back, if I remember correctly. But on the big night 29th May 1968, he wore the number 7. Whatever the shirt number, there is nobody else who comes anywhere near him. He is the greatest player the club has ever had. I can talk for hours about the man. From being an 11 yr old seeing him at OT making his debut, (wearing the no 7 shirt) and watching him tearing defences apart, City fans shat themselves in derby games when he had the ball at his feet. Anyway the following would be my choice:
1. George Best
2. Eric Cantona
3. Christiano Ronaldo
4. Bryan Robson
5. David Beckham

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not basing it only on ability but association with the no.7 no one comes close to Cantona, Beckham also made it iconic, I would say

1. Cantona
2. Beckham
3. CR7