Your Top 5 United #7s

Parma Dewol

Seeing as we're all buzzing about our new number 7, here's one for you: if you had to pick your top five United players to wear the #7 shirt, who would you pick, in order of preference?

I'm going to suggest that Alexis is excluded for the time being, seeing as he is yet to take to the field, but there are still plenty to choose from.

Mine would be:
  1. Eric Cantona
  2. George Best
  3. Cristiano Ronaldo
  4. Bryan Robson
  5. David Beckham

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
From what I've seen:

Cantona - Who got me into UTD in the first place
Ronaldo - Really enjoyed that time
Best - Have only seen footage but his ability was evident
Beckham - Icon of a great era as well
Sanchez - He is a true workhorse

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If we count Best, who played in multiple shirts, then he'd be first.
Cantona
Ronaldo
Robson
Beckham

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I don't know about a top five but for me Cantona made the 7 shirt what it is. There were club legends who wore it before him but Cantona made the shirt itself legendary.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
You have to remember in times before squad numbers, players never really had their own shirt number. They got the shirt which suited the position they played in, hence players like Best, Coppell etc wore a variety of shirt numbers. Since squad numbers were introduced, the order for me is
Cantona
Ronaldo
Beckham
Hoping Sanchez can go top of that list though

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
1- Ronaldo
2- Beckham

The only 2 I've seen during my time/at an age where I can really appreciate what they produced for us. Ronaldo I'm convinced will be the best player to ever play for us and Beckham remains the only player we've sold I was truly gutted about (Ronaldo we knew was going sooner or later albeit in hindsight we really should have kept onto him for at least another year)

Trizy

In my life time:

1. Cantona
2. Ronaldo
3. Beckham
4. Sanchez :drool:

Heardy

Surely Sanchez has actually got to play a game for us before he's included in these lists. He's a great player no doubt, but hasn't done it for us yet.

Best / Ronaldo / Cantona / Beckham / Robson - not necessarily in that order.

Revaulx

You have to remember in times before squad numbers, players never really had their own shirt number. They got the shirt which suited the position they played in, hence players like Best, Coppell etc wore a variety of shirt numbers.
Coppell was almost invariably 7.

By the time I started going to OT, Best was 11 and Willie Morgan was 7.

Great player that he was, Robbo was never a proper 7. 4, 6 or 8 would all have fitted him better.

Reactions: Rood

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Coppell was almost invariably 7.

By the time I started going to OT, Best was 11 and Willie Morgan was 7.

Great player that he was, Robbo was never a proper 7. 4, 6 or 8 would all have fitted him better.
Coppell was invariably 7 yes but also played 8 and 11 at times, more so under Sexton iirc. Agree about Robson.

Never saw Best so i wont include him.

1. Cantona - the 7 shirt is the 7 shirt because of him.
2. Ronaldo - arguably the best player we've ever had at the club
3. Beckham - helped make us the biggest club on the planet
4. Robson - one man team at times
5. Sanchez? No-one else stands out

Wittmann45

I remember seeing an interview with Best talking about Giggs from the mid-1990s. Best talked about how much Giggs reminded him of himself, adding that Giggs was wearing "his" number. Funny that Best is synonymous with the number 7 but he considered his number 11

Sing you a song

Sing you a song says ......,.

Number 1 was georgie best........ number 2 was georgie best .... number 3 was georgie best .. number 4 was georgie best ...,
Repeat ...

We all live in a Georgie Best world !

Whatever the number there was only one Best !

Crackers

greasy ginfers
In my lifetime:

Cantona
Ronaldo
Beckham

Don't really wanna include Valencia or Owen in that, but I guess Valencia comes 4th.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
In my time supporting United its Ronaldo, Beckham.

If you ask any old timers im sure they'll say Best and by all accounts he was the best.

patty123

You have to remember in times before squad numbers, players never really had their own shirt number. They got the shirt which suited the position they played in, hence players like Best, Coppell etc wore a variety of shirt numbers. Since squad numbers were introduced, the order for me is
Cantona
Ronaldo
Beckham
Hoping Sanchez can go top of that list though
Coppell wore it for 5 seasons the same as Eric

MadMike

My memories only really stretch as far back as 94-95, so I missed the Robson years. I'm gonna have to go with:
1) Ronaldo
2) Cantona
3) Beckham

All the rest I saw (Valencia, Owen, Di Maria, Depay) really pale in comparison.

Best was before I was born; I was only baby when Coppell had it. So in my memory it's been Robson, Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo.

Much will come down to age of course, and some will even remember pre-Best.

Denis79

Cantona
Robson
Best ( To young to have seen him play' still a favorite though )
Beckham
Ronaldo

Inter Yer Nan

1. Ronaldo - He's the best player that's ever played for the club

2. Best - I didn't see him play as I'm only 32 but by all accounts he'd probably be considered the second best that ever played for us

3. Cantona - The first player to actually have the #7 since names and numbers were on shirts and one of our best ever players

4. Robson - The best player at the club for about a decade and an absolutely phenomenal player and leader

5. Beckham - Modern day icon and one of our best players in arguably our best team. People underestimate just how great he was when the chips were down

Alexis is definitely a worthy successor given how great a player he is and how well he played at Arsenal.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
From what I've seen:

Cantona - Who got me into UTD in the first place
Ronaldo - Really enjoyed that time
Best - Have only seen footage but his ability was evident
Beckham - Icon of a great era as well
Sanchez - He is a true workhorse
bit early to put him on a list of our greatest number 7's i mean i hope he earns a place above players like Bryan Robson but your jumping the gun a bit

FujiVice

Cantona
Robson
Best
Ronaldo
Beckham

Cantona was the real first number 7. The first man to get his name on the back of the shirt.

SaboTaj

1) Cantona
2) Beckham
3) Ronaldo

Best and Robson should naturally be up there, but I’ve only put in players who I’ve seen play.

Cantona’s effect, both tangible and intangible, on the club is hard to match. He was a true culture changer, the likes of which you rarely witness. Beckham over Ronaldo because of the longevity and for making the No.7 commercially relevant in modern-day football.