You're a billionaire bankroller / sugar daddy

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I would buy PSV, Feyenoord and Ajax. Make the Eredivisie great again.

It's the best league ever, it's true.

United_We_Stand

Villa, Leeds, Coventry City, Portsmouth, Koln, Hamburg, Hertha Berlin, Eintracht Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Galatasaray, Fenerbahce and Real Zaragoza are some underachievers who present opportunity for possible buyers.

EVO

I'm surprised that even those who mention German teams don't think of Schalke 04. Only 5 other European teams have bigger attendances than they do. You wouldn't think of Gelsenkirchen as a major city, but it's part of the Rhur area, which is one of Europe's largest conurbations.

Fish in kettles

Supports
Man City
I used to have amazing success with Leyton Orient on Football Manager 94, Get Clive Allen in on a free and happy days. Hope this helps

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Probably Spurs.

• PL club (where the money is, TV money is huge compared to other leagues and they are the most beloved teams worldwide so the potential income from international merchandising probably much higher).
  • London (market for a huge fanbase, even with the local competition from Chelsea/Arsenal + 1-4 other London PL clubs at any one time).
  • Already reasonably successful on the field.
  • Young team with the potential for greater growth.
  • Brand new stadium
  • Links with the NFL bringing in some money/opening up another potential revenue stream.
Subsidize the wage budget for a bit, make sure the likes of Kane, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Dier, Winks, Alli are all locked down long-term and happy at the club. Bump up the win bonuses a bit as additional motivation to break the trophy deadlock (think it's a bit of a mental barrier, once one trophy comes they'll probably be a few) and try and add 2-3 world-class players and they should be competiting for the PL/CL every year for the next 5-7 seasons probably.

stubie

Salford City

Then I would change the kit colour back to Orange, knock down the stadium to what it was before, eliminate all corporate sponsors from there and ban the class of 92 from the ground

The club would then have it's identity back

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Sheffield Wednesday. I grew up with the Sheffield clubs in the PL, but Wednesday in particular always fascinated me. Is Kevin Pressman still their GK? Do they have that half naked guy, not matter how cold, in the crowd? Didn't they have a trumpet playing through the whole match? Fecking David Hirst?

Sheffield is the third largest district in England with 1,6 million people, the potential must be massive with some clever investment.

Lan

I've often thought the people that bought city were badly advised, they should have bought liverpool. Yes, it's a huge pain and extra expense sorting out the stadium but they could have built something massive there. No matter what city win they will always just be city.

PeteManic

Three most important factors are location, location, location.

Has to be a London team. Ironically, or not, I'd go for Arsenal. Stadium that can be expanded. Fanbase that can still grow. Manager coming to the end of his cycle as can start new era. Haven't won a big trophy is a long time. Never won Champions League. A lot more investment but almost certain success.

Solo Toure

West Ham. Break up the dominance of the other London clubs, would be funny finishing higher than Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs.

Large fanbase with super rivals, relatively brand new stadium which is paid by the local borough. Bring back the youth policy of old when the Hammers had such gems as Rio, Carrick, Defoe, Joe Cole, Lampard, Glen Johnson and Noble to name a few.

Easy really, sack the current board for their incompetence, sack Moyes because well its Moyes. Before 2020 West Ham will have won the league.

AXVnee7

Wolves is a great shout, so much so that it's actually being done in real life.

lambnchips

Supports
Tottenham
Southampton. Great alternative location to the cities and countrysides elsewhere. Excellent production/finder of young talent who could be kept on to build a young exciting side.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
OK, I'll take on board the fact that United, Arsenal or Chelsea would be tremendously expensive to buy, so, given being in London would be most attractive to foreign-based investors, players and fans, how about somewhere like Reading? I don't know the club, but it's in a big and prosperous growth area geographically, and a nice distance to London, Heathrow or Gatwick.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Wolves is a great shout, so much so that it's actually being done in real life.
Funny thing with this thread is that some of these may well come to pass. Some of these make too much sense to not come into fruition if the right people get into football.

Aston Villa, Leeds, West Ham must surely be ready-made targets for the reasons people have listed.

Had a chat in that Wolves thread about super agents seeing a potential gold mine in supplying to Championships clubs for relatively minimal amounts to earn the windfall in being a key supplier once said club hits the Premier League. It just makes too much sense not to happen in a broader sense than just Wolves.
OK, I'll take on board the fact that United, Arsenal or Chelsea would be tremendously expensive to buy, so, given being in London would be most attractive to foreign-based investors, players and fans, how about somewhere like Reading? I don't know the club, but it's in a big and prosperous growth area geographically, and a nice distance to London, Heathrow or Gatwick.
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know much of anything about Reading except that they have a massive train station and Stevie Coppell once managed them :lol:

They've a tiny ground, though. Could they fill a 40,000 upon expansion?

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know much of anything about Reading except that they have a massive train station and Stevie Coppell once managed them :lol:

They've a tiny ground, though. Could they fill a 40,000 upon expansion?
Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door, making use of the M4 corridor.

sk6blue

Supports
Manchester City
This.

Historic club, die hard fan base and an absolute mountian of untapped potential locally.

Helps with having a die hard rival 50 meters away, plus they could be bought for peanuts.
Not sure about Forest. Apart from a short period of success under Clough they haven't done that much. Since they were formed they've only been in the top division for one third of that time.

Everton or Villa would be my shout

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
West Ham or Arsenal/Spurs for me, both London based, both with a good following and good infrastructure, training grounds, stadiums(once Spurs is finished), etc.

It would come down to cost, you would have to pay more for Arsenal/Spurs. But if we are talking stupid money and cost doesnt matter, like Zuckerberg, Bezos, Buffet, etc etc id go Spurs or Arsenal, the cheaper option West Ham. The budget options are numerous, Fulham, QPR, Crystal Palace, Watford etc etc

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Surprised there aren't more votes for Everton.

Worth it for the wum value alone.
Imagine being from a family of multi-billionaires. Get your brother to buy Liverpool , you buy Everton. The secret plan being to make Liverpool blue! Your brother destroying Liverpool not enough to have them fall out of the PL for extended periods, but bad enough that they are often in the relegation fight.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not sure about Forest. Apart from a short period of success under Clough they haven't done that much. Since they were formed they've only been in the top division for one third of that time.

Everton or Villa would be my shout

Forest is a great shout for me, as its only 20 minutes away so would save me a fortune in helicopter fuel.

TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome
Aston Villa and not because I live 10 minutes away from VP
They have a fantastic stadium which can be expanded if they rebuild the North Stand.
Airport which isn't too far.
Huge fan base. They get decent crowds at Villa Park even in the championship and they take a decent amount to away games too.
Fantastic history with league titles, cups and a European cup in their cabinet.
Already have very good training facilities as well at Bodymoor Heath
Birmingham is a huge city and players can live anywhere in the midlands if they want. Its also not as expensive as London

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Aston Villa and not because I live 10 minutes away from VP
They have a fantastic stadium which can be expanded if they rebuild the North Stand.
Airport which isn't too far.
Huge fan base. They get decent crowds at Villa Park even in the championship and they take a decent amount to away games too.
Fantastic history with league titles, cups and a European cup in their cabinet.
Already have very good training facilities as well at Bodymoor Heath
Birmingham is a huge city and players can live anywhere in the midlands if they want. Its also not as expensive as London
I think the idea is to create a club with world-wide support, and the trouble is no one knows where Aston Villa is.
Maybe you should change your name to Birmingham United or something?

TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome
I think the idea is to create a club with world-wide support, and the trouble is no one knows where Aston Villa is.
Villa already have supporters in China and the states.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
That'd go down well :lol: Jesus, the rioting would be insane.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think you can go wrong with a London club. London is the mecca of England and I would hazard a guess most, if not all footballers would want to live in or in close proximity to London given the choice of anywhere throughout England. If you're a wealthy owner and the club can offer a player big wages, then for sure the player will go anywhere though. I think maybe Wimbledon would be ideal though.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Villa had a sugar daddy (Lerner) who invested over £300m of his fortune (one-third of) into the club.

What makes some think it will work again? Are we assuming a second sugar daddy will go the Sheik level of spending?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Salford City

Then I would change the kit colour back to Orange, knock down the stadium to what it was before, eliminate all corporate sponsors from there and ban the class of 92 from the ground

The club would then have it's identity back
Oooh bitter boy

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sheffield Wednesday. I grew up with the Sheffield clubs in the PL, but Wednesday in particular always fascinated me. Is Kevin Pressman still their GK? Do they have that half naked guy, not matter how cold, in the crowd? Didn't they have a trumpet playing through the whole match? Fecking David Hirst?

Sheffield is the third largest district in England with 1,6 million people, the potential must be massive with some clever investment.
I went for Wednesday too. Sleeping giant. Large potential. I don’t buy into the theory that players only move to London either. In Germany there is a good spread of talent even in industrial towns.
The right investment, a good manager, Wednesday could be a goldmine

TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome
Villa had a sugar daddy (Lerner) who invested over £300m of his fortune (one-third of) into the club.

What makes some think it will work again? Are we assuming a second sugar daddy will go the Sheik level of spending?
It nearly worked. Villa had a good team, played some really good football and were challenging towards the top half of the table. Lerner lost interest when O'Neill walked, appointed Houllier and it went downhill after then. They then started signing players like Ashley Westwood, Jordan Bowery etc

MrMarcello

It nearly worked. Villa had a good team, played some really good football and were challenging towards the top half of the table. Lerner lost interest when O'Neill walked, appointed Houllier and it went downhill after then. They then started signing players like Ashley Westwood, Jordan Bowery etc
Probably because Lerner didn't want to waste his personal fortune. He didn't have the fortune and club location plus revenue stream of say Abramovich, nor the unlimited state wealth of Mansour. Otherwise, he'd probably have signed better players once getting closer and closer. Shame for both him and the fans in that sense.

MrMarcello

I've always felt the likes of Everton, Leeds, Newcastle, and West Ham are sleeping giants waiting for a sugar daddy to take them up a couple steps on the ladder. Then watch out.

Put Abramovich or Mansour in those clubs and it's the same results.

RooneyLegend

Leeds or Villa. Would be cheap to purchase especially the former and both have huge fanbases.

RooneyLegend

Juventus doesn't have a area specific name and they're a massive club world wide. World wide support comes with success imo.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
I don't think you can go wrong with a London club. London is the mecca of England and I would hazard a guess most, if not all footballers would want to live in or in close proximity to London given the choice of anywhere throughout England. If you're a wealthy owner and the club can offer a player big wages, then for sure the player will go anywhere though. I think maybe Wimbledon would be ideal though.
Sanchez, Rose and Ozil are all desperate to leave London? As was Oxlade-Chamberlain, Solanke and Walker? To name but six.

ijc

One of these:-

Birmingham City FC
West Ham
Portsmouth
Fulham
Roma

manutddjw

If United didn’t exist, I’d go with Liverpool. They already have a huge international fan base to capitalize on, and it would be ridiculously easy to keep them happy. They’re a special breed and will believe any off the wall conspiracy theory to explain any misstep. “Messi wanted to come to Liverpool, but FIFA blocked the transfer because they’re in bed with Spanish royalty who are trying to keep the peace with Catalonia and are forcing Messi to stay and not live his dream of playing at Anfield on those big European nights”.

Wessex Saint

Supports
Southampton
Premier League - probably Newcastle, maybe West Ham.

Champ - Sunderland, Leeds, Shef Wed, Villa.

L1 - hate to say it, but Pompey.

EU - Italy seems good. Napoli, Fiorentina (I still remember the Batistuta days), Sampdoria.