Youth focused approach ?

Redstain

Somewhat tired of the relentless comparisons with Arteta but if you consider his development with Arsenal it's clear that a managers ideas are far easier to come across younger unproven players, compared to changing the instincts from senior older individuals.

The Palace performance (win) had a core across the attack of Pellistri, Mejbri and Garnacho. Against Brentford it was Antony and Garnacho that shifted the threat of the attack that created the momentum and environment for goals to be scored.

Should the directive be to put a very heavy focus on youth in both recruitment and the clubs ideology in order for the manager to successfully impose his ideas ?

JeffFromHK

The senior players have been quite pathetic recently
Rashford, Bruno, Casemiro, Lindelof & co. are all culprits in recent games

Dolf

Can't imagine Garnacho and Mejbri would have done much worse than Rashford and Bruno today.

Redstain

The senior players have been quite pathetic recently
Rashford, Bruno, Casemiro, Lindelof & co. are all culprits in recent games
It's clear as day and considering the reports from the journalists that are closest to the club, the supposed players who aren't following instructions clearly seems to be the older guard.

I think if the club set this precedent in motion it will reap rewards for both the team and manager moving forward.

This thread isn't insinuating that every youth prospect here is ready but rather that it should be the focus moving forward.

It's what Arsenal have done, Madrid with more of a magic wand for selection and Chelsea who are still slightly off but are compounding on to build over the next few seasons.

Last edited:

Kinky Melinky

Rashford and Cass looked like they honestly couldn't give two flying hoots after the final whistle.

JeffFromHK

Rashford and Cass looked like they honestly couldn't give two flying hoots after the final whistle.
I don't get why Rashford, who is "united through and through" and is relatively young (almost 26) seems to have lost all his mojo and is half arsed in every single game he plays

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Somewhat tired of the relentless comparisons with Arteta but if you consider his development with Arsenal it's clear that a managers ideas are far easier to come across younger unproven players, compared to changing the instincts from senior older individuals.

The Palace performance (win) had a core across the attack of Pellistri, Mejbri and Garnacho. Against Brentford it was Antony and Garnacho that shifted the threat of the attack that created the momentum and environment for goals to be scored.

Should the directive be to put a very heavy focus on youth in both recruitment and the clubs ideology in order for the manager to successfully impose his ideas ?
The focus is absolutely on the younger players imo. The Hojlund signing with Mainoo and Garnacho being developed as either a first phase midfielder or in Garnacho's case being developed as a left wing forward shows that. I think a CB along with a midfielder will also arrive in the next 12 months. And I think those players will also fit the criteria for age and profile for what is required in a high pressing, high intensity approach where control has to be exerted both in possession and out of possession.

Red Rash

I think the young players deserve more game time, in particular Garnacho should be starting ahead of Rashford right now.

Hannibal has also shown he deserves more game time. I like Pellistri too but I'd say he is a level below the other two when it comes to staking a claim for a first team spot.

The two that really excite me are injured right now. I'd love to see both Amad and Mainoo get fit and start pushing for a first team place as I think both have very high potential.

klsv

Ideally, yeah. It didn't come quick and easy for Arteta and Arsenal, though.

Redstain

The focus is absolutely on the younger players imo. The Hojlund signing with Mainoo and Garnacho being developed as either a first phase midfielder or in Garnacho's case being developed as a left wing forward shows that. I think a CB along with a midfielder will also arrive in the next 12 months. And I think those players will also fit the criteria for age and profile for what is required in a high pressing, high intensity approach where control has to be exerted both in possession and out of possession.
I hope to see this play out, what you mentioned about intensity is an important regard and as it currently stands this teams first 11 with all the senior players doesn't have the ability to go through the gears so to speak it's 100% an intensity issue that a younger more vibrant team has in its locker.

L1nk

The annoying thing is I thought our midfield looked much better with Hannibal in the last few times he’s played, especially in that win against Palace, and yet since then he hasn't featured. I don’t get it

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

Yes. That much is obvious.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I hope to see this play out, what you mentioned about intensity is an important regard and as it currently stands this teams first 11 with all the senior players doesn't have the ability to go through the gears so to speak it's 100% an intensity issue that a younger more vibrant team has in its locker.
Every position has a requirement of what you need to do with the ball and without the ball if the aim is to play a more dominant brand of football starting from the back. And then you have to defend from the front as a collective unit with your attacking, midfield and defensive lines being compact. Which then makes pressing/counter pressing more effective.

And playing with passion and intensity should be a default setting for every player. The coach can then help instil the intelligence and positional side of the game to the player. If a player doesn't give the bare minimum, then it doesn't really matter how good the coach is.

Abraxas

Maybe.

We have an interesting core of young players. Not so much in the defensive areas, but Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund offer very interesting options. I don't feel like they would be out there in some hopeful, whimsical fashion around building youth. At the moment they could legitmately be the best options given form and circumstances.

Someone

Something
Not the youth specifically, but any player that isn't mentally shot and is happy to work and play a role for the team. This might result in an inconsistent season, which wasn't the goal initially as the hope was that we close the gap on City. That's gone now and we need to focus on regaining confidence and building for the future. Our senior players are letting us down big time.

Polar

Seems to me like United are far behind City, Chelsea and Arsenal regarding academy players, testing academy players and bringing them up to the first team.

Borninthe80ts

I definitely believe there was and has been a push and focus from the manger to improve the academy and bring young players into the team.

When he first came in he had a few interviews where he mentioned the history of the club in relation to bringing players through and he also mentioned this in relation to his time at Ajax, where he done similar.

I think he wanted to give the senior players a chance and bring some stability to the team before bringing any in though. However with the inconsistency from all senior players and other instances such as suspension, injuries and outside issues this has been difficult. Even in those circumstances we have still seen 3 or 4 given a chance and become pretty much squad members. He wants them to earn the minutes though so playing time will fluctuate.

Someone mentioned a young centre back and the teams age profile and the manager also talked about this too. In 2 years time we could have a young, hungry team with a collective culture. Just need some good fortune.