Youth players breakthrough this season?

Red Comet

I know the CAF annual muppetry is in overdrive since the arrival of Herrera and Shaw. However, I'm equally excited by youth players breaking through to the 1st team as much as a us getting a marquee signing like Vidal.

Given LvG's reputation and track record in bringing through a no. of good players, I'm obvious keen for some of our youth players to do the same. What do regular youth team watchers on CAF think of the chances for our youth players this coming season? These players in particular I feel are within touch of the first team:

• Keane brothers
  • Tom Thorpe
  • Saidy Janko
  • Andreas Pereira
  • Ben Pearson
  • Joe Rothwell
  • Jesse Lindgard
  • Tom Lawrence
  • James Wilson
Sadly, despite my high hopes for Petrucci, it seems that injuries have stalled/curtailed his career. Vermijl also looks to be another player who at best would be solid, consistent performer for a mid-table team but doesn't have what it takes to be even a squad player for us.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I can see Lingard or Lawrence breaking through this season if we don't buy any new wingers and off load Nani, Young. One of Janko or Varela has to make it if we go into the season with Rafael as the only right back. I thought Lingard was as good as Januzaz last preseason and I'm excited to see what he brings this time around.

Dante

Average bang
Wilson's pretty much there.

I may be in the minority, but I think that Pearson has a better chance than Pereira. Probably not as soon as next season though.

khoazany

I will go for Lingard,M.Keane and Varela for this season.The rest need at least one more season to get there.Vermijl might still end up being a useful back up for both full back positions.Janko and Pereira are far from ready.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Wilson's pretty much there.

I may be in the minority, but I think that Pearson has a better chance than Pereira. Probably not as soon as next season though.
I agree with you in regards to Pearson. Personally I rate Rothwell a little higher than Pearson too but they are close. Andreas is a year younger than them to be fair to him. Hope Pearson and Rothwell get out on loan at least in January. They're too good to be spending another year in the reserves at 20.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'm quite excited about Joven Falsa. Got the invention, even if he needs bringing back to reality, occasionally. Be made up, if he comes good.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
:lol:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Even with LVGs reputation I can hardly see there being a big breakthrough this year. One or two players maybe but we aren't in European football this year which means our need to rotate won't be as significant and it means our youth won't necessarily get the chances they normally might. Lingard and Wilson are pretty much ready though. All the others except Lawrence maybe need more time. A well placed and thought about loan (not the usual just ship them anywhere) is probably the way to go to get exposure to real competitive football.

FromTheBench

Even with LVGs reputation I can hardly see there being a big breakthrough this year. One or two players maybe but we aren't in European football this year which means our need to rotate won't be as significant and it means our youth won't necessarily get the chances they normally might. Lingard and Wilson are pretty much ready though. All the others except Lawrence maybe need more time. A well placed and thought about loan (not the usual just ship them anywhere) is probably the way to go to get exposure to real competitive football.
1 or 2 in a season is pretty good for a Club at United's level.

jesperjaap

Bar the odd appearance from the bench I dont see any this season, maybe Varela if we dont sign much more defensively as Rafael is bound to get injured and Jones and/or Smalling may well do too.

ottosec

I expect Michael Keane and Varela to be on the first team next season, from the ones that didn't get promoted so far. Maybe Janko too.

LR7

I have really high hopes for Wilson, Lawrence, Lingard, Michael Keane and possibly Varela for next season. I think they could all be ready for a few apps in the first team.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Lindgard is somewhat a must for me if we don't buy a winger imo. I know he's probably more of a #10 but I bet he can do the job on the wing just like Adnan. He's looked impressive last tourno and definitely earned his place.

We should probably loan Wilson to Premier League, he's got bags of potential but won't get too much playing time for us I suppose.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Unless we vastly reduce our current squad size (which sits at 35 players+), I can't see more than couple at best even getting the chance to break through.

People say Lingard but given how many established first team players we have for just 4 attacking positions, I can't see how he's going to get enough chances to break through.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Yeh, with the current need for serious investment. It doesn't look great for the current batch coming through. They should still be given every opportunity but I think a lot are just coming through at the wrong time. I think many don't realise just how much luck it takes for some youth players to break through.

Roboc7

If van gaal thinks they are good enough then I don't think he will hesitate to give them a chance but it won't be easy, personally I would be happy to see some of the younger players filling up places in the squad rather than the likes of young, anderson and nani. I don't think lawrence, lingard and zaha could be any worse than those three have been over the last 2 seasons or so.

Loony BoB

The lack of European football is a massive blow to the younger guys at our club - they may have to wait until next season to get their real shot unless we sell some players.

Revan

Assumptionman
Varela is dead cert IMO. Wilson may get a chance if Hernadez is sold. Michael Keane should get a chance too.

Not sure that the others will play that much although I hope that we finally will give a chance to Lingard who has been great for us on the last 2 summer tours. Still too early for Pearson, Rothwell and Pereira, and too much competition for Lawrence and Powell.

Decotron

Wilson is the only one really. Not sure any of the rest are ready. I think Keane judged on his Blackburn loan isnt what we need and Varela looks v naive defensively. Janko as a full back could be LVG project. I think one of most impressive youngsters last season was actually Sam Johnstone.

eddiebb

gobshite
I think it's a bit harsh to judge Keane solely on his Blackburn loan where he played most of his games at RB, but I do share the sentiment that I'm less sure about him after seeing a few of his games on loan this season (13/14) than I was this time last year.

SambaBoy

I don't think anyone will be promoted this season bar Varela. We most likely won't sign another RB as we have Rafael as first choice and Jones/Smalling can fill in there. Jones is adequate cover when played there while Smalling is atrocious. LvG may promote Varela so he doesn't have to rely on Jones/Smalling if Rafael is injured.

I wouldn't mind us promoting a CM rather than play the likes of Anderson/Clev/Fellaini for some games.

Wilson needs games and he won't get that with Rooney/Rvp/Hernandez and Welbeck around plus most games we may play 1 upfront as to accommodate an AM therefore limiting his chances. A loan move would be wise decision for this season providing it's to the right club.

Keane will most likely stay in the reserves and only get a look at if their is a major injury crisis. We are bringing in another CB so we should have 4 to be able to play there. Lingard isn't quite good enough and will most likely be sold to a Championship side or lower Prem side.

Blackwidow

The lack of European football is a massive blow to the younger guys at our club - they may have to wait until next season to get their real shot unless we sell some players.
Van Gaal does not care. He can form younger players better to his mold than he can do others. And he has the eye for the special player...

Of Müller only some lunatics believed in 2008 that he could make it at Bayern... Look today. And van Gaal did not promote him because of his mentality or the goal instinct but because of his runs and playing intelligence he made the "pitch a lot bigger for the team".

Van Gaal already in July 2009 - before his first season started - told that Müller will be in his starting formations when Leverkusen wanted to loan him out. And two months later he said the "Müller will always play" that we always recite when a coach does not field in a big match or sub him and we loose.

Van Gaal does not care about big names if they are not in his mold. At Bayern he had Luca Toni, Klose, Gomez and others and he preferred to have Olic (an older player who came for free to Bayern) and Müller over them. In the second season he had to adjust as Robben was injured and he needed Müller on the wing - but in the first season he did not care. And he did not rotate. Müller only missed one match in this season and that was due to a booking.

You should be all aware that there will be a couple of surprises - just - let him do he seems to know better...

Last edited:

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Varela and Wilson have the best chance from the U21s, at least that's how I see it.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
See how many players we sign and how many leave... I suspect though that with no European games we might see quite a few younger players loaned out to get game time - there will be no shortage of championship clubs offering spots for most of those players

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Varela and Wilson have the best chance from the U21s, at least that's how I see it.
Ageeed. Possibly lingaard too but those two have best ability, unfortunately for wilson Its in the wrong position

Vanrouge

I'm quite excited about Joven Falsa. Got the invention, even if he needs bringing back to reality, occasionally. Be made up, if he comes good.
Disappears too much in too many games, for me. Almost as if he's not there. It's weird. On his day, reminds me of a young Cesc Fabricate, though.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Varela or Janko should start putting pressure on Rafael... that of course if we won't go after new RB. Giggs probably already spoke to LVG about Wilson or even Lawrence.

Would be cool if Pearson could get at least one match on upcoming tour despite his young age.

Lingard had absolutely wonderful previous tour with a stunning goal as a cherry on top. I'm not sure if made some significant progress since then but definitely waiting to see him there with Zaha trying to prove their quality.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Hopefully Michael Keane, Wilson and Lingard are given opportunities. Interested to see what he can do with Zaha and Varela, the chance is definitely there for those 2 to stake a claim with the problems their respective positions are having. Bit early for Powell? Perhaps another loan?