Youth players ready to step up

TheReligion

Abusive
So the past few days the Caf has become a negative cesspit again. It happens. Seems like it's all doom and gloom again for United and everyone else is a million miles ahead of us.

So, if we can't compete in the transfer market in the summer who do we feel already at the club might get promoted to the first team?

There's lots of threads saying who we should (and apparently have no chance of) buy but are some of the answers already at the club and can our investment in youth start playing dividends over the next couple of years to supplement a signing or two?

CB - Mengi
FB - Laird
CM - Garner, Hannibal
FW - Shoretire
CF - Hugill, McNeil

Adding to the likes of Diallo, Greenwood, Pellistri of course.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
McNeil is nowhere near the first team squad. I doubt Garner as well, might need another loan to bulk up a bit

Lastwolf

CB - Mengi
FB - Laird
CM - Garner, Hannibal
FW - Shoretire
CF - Hugill, McNeil

Greenwood is already in the first team, Laird and Garner are maybe contenders for a squad place next year but they probably both need another year of good minutes in the Championship level or above.

The rest are kids, talented kids but most of them are 17/18, so baring a massive injury crisis are a few years away.

Mickson

Not a single one of these is ready for first team football for United yet.
I think Laird, Mengi, and Hannibal very much could be ready next season. Especially Hannibal. With that said, it's probably for the best if Mengi went on loan again.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Surely Garner will be with the first team next season? He's been doing well in the championship this year, and plays a position we're desperately in need of reinforcing.

Put another way, could he be worse than Matic?

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I think Laird, Mengi, and Hannibal very much could be ready next season. Especially Hannibal. With that said, it's probably for the best if Mengi went on loan again.
Laird is playing well in a back 5 in league 1, but has also been targeted for being defensively suspect. I have a lot of hope for him but the step from League 1 to the premier league and from a back 5 to a back 4 is too much to do in a year. A championship loan would be good for him next year. Mengi, another loan is needed I think but I think he will never make at United. Lower level premier league defender/championship quality for sure, but I don't ever seem him making at the highest level.

Hannibal is a weirder one as he isn't ready for premier league football either, way too loose on the ball and doesn't yet know when to play safe vs when to make it fancier. He's a bit in the Pogba mould in that way and has given away several goals at u23 level with a lack of situational awareness. Saying that the treatment he gets off opposition players in the u23 is disgraceful and maybe it would be better to give him a bit part role with he first team where he isn't being battered around the pitch.

red thru&thru

Garner in terms of match experience is most ready. Hannibal quality-wise doesn't look a million miles away.
This.

If Keane & Butt were to take over at Celtic, getting Garner out there would be good.

Will be interesting to see what they do with Hannibal? A loan doesn't always suit every player.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Hannibal is a very exciting one. I assume he'll be given a cup match debut next season, but will spend the majority of the season with the U23's again. A bit like Shoretire

rotherham_red

So the past few days the Caf has become a negative cesspit again. It happens. Seems like it's all doom and gloom again for United and everyone else is a million miles ahead of us.

So, if we can't compete in the transfer market in the summer who do we feel already at the club might get promoted to the first team?

There's lots of threads saying who we should (and apparently have no chance of) buy but are some of the answers already at the club and can our investment in youth start playing dividends over the next couple of years to supplement a signing or two?

CB - Mengi
FB - Laird
CM - Garner, Hannibal
FW - Shoretire
CF - Hugill, McNeil

I think the top 4 names are at least a year away (potentially longer for Hannibal) and the other 3 are probably 2, maybe 3 seasons away from being considered, unless they have a massive season next year.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

CB - Mengi
FB - Laird
CM - Garner, Hannibal
FW - Shoretire
CF - Hugill, McNeil

Hughill and shoretire will possibly get on the bench a few times - might even get a game or two depending in injuries this season

All of them would probably benefit from a season on loan in the championship next year - somewhere they will play regularly (except mcneil - possibly a step up to U23 to replace hughil if he goes on loan)

Levitt as well possibly - his last loan move just seemed a a strange one... not sure what will happen with chong either

Laird and Shoretire seem the best bets to make it when ive seen them but for sure we have a really talented bunch coming through at the moment

Bwuk

Hannibal isn't breaking through as a CM.

He's had his best form further forward as a #10 or LW.

Bwuk

This.

If Keane & Butt were to take over at Celtic, getting Garner out there would be good.

Will be interesting to see what they do with Hannibal? A loan doesn't always suit every player.
Would be a waste Garner going to Celtic.

He's doing well in the Championship, the majority of sides Celtic face aren't anywhere near the standard he'll be playing.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Would be a waste Garner going to Celtic.

He's doing well in the Championship, the majority of sides Celtic face aren't anywhere near the standard he'll be playing.
He seems to have settled well into the Forrest team ... I live pretty close to the training ground and often watch him pinging balls around in training if I talk a walk... might not be a bad idea for him to do another season there (provided they stay up) but a premier league team with some guarantee of playing time would probably be the ideal next step for him

TheReligion

Abusive
On face value, perhaps not, but given the likes of Rashford and Mctominay have jumped the queue so to speak in recent times it's not far fetched to ask questions and to see who might next break the mould so to speak.

red thru&thru

He seems to have settled well into the Forrest team ... I live pretty close to the training ground and often watch him pinging balls around in training if I talk a walk... might not be a bad idea for him to do another season there (provided they stay up) but a premier league team with some guarantee of playing time would probably be the ideal next step for him
For me, I want him to test himself in a team that will be competing...whether that is a league in Scotland, or in the Championship. I want the mentality of our players to be raised as we haven't got that winning mentality at the club anymore, whereby youth players could feed off of.

Mark Pawelek

Greenwood is already in the first team, Laird and Garner are maybe contenders for a squad place next year but they probably both need another year of good minutes in the Championship level or above.

The rest are kids, talented kids but most of them are 17/18, so baring a massive injury crisis are a few years away.
If Tuanzebe and van der Beek (both 23) can't get minutes then what chance for teenagers?

Luke1995

Are these players mostly from the Under-18 team ? It seems like in the last few years the club has barely promoted players from the U-23 team.

Most top clubs around the world appear to not only be favoring first team promotion for players in the 17 to 20 age range but to buy foreign players at a very young age aswell.

That means if there's someone in the 21 to 24 age range who has never received a first team opportunity, they are more likely to be released or go out on loan...

So I just hope these players mentioned have a good development and fulfill their potential.

Remember the geese

I believe Hannibal is ready. He can get games from the left when we want to rest/rotate Rashford. He can also compete with Van de Beek as a central creative option, especially if Pogba is sold.

Garner and Laird could probably feature in a Brandon Williams type capacity, but it would be far more beneficial for them to spend another year out on loan. A year in the Championship for Laird and another one, or a lower Premier League club, for Garner. Would be wise for Mengi to have another year at Derby too.

McNeill should be promoted to the under 23's. Hugill would be best served with another year at under 23 level, or a league one loan. Shoretire is constantly being pushed up the ladder, so it's difficult to chart where exactly he is at. Most likely another year at under 23 level with a sprinkling of cup games. However, due to how prominent his rise has been, it's difficult to rule out a Championship loan. Not sure he's ready for it though.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I believe Hannibal is ready. He can get games from the left when we want to rest/rotate Rashford. He can also compete with Van de Beek as a central creative option, especially if Pogba is sold.

Garner and Laird could probably feature in a Brandon Williams type capacity, but it would be far more beneficial for them to spend another year out on loan. A year in the Championship for Laird and another one, or a lower Premier League club, for Garner. Would be wise for Mengi to have another year at Derby too.

McNeill should be promoted to the under 23's. Hugill would be best served with another year at under 23 level, or a league one loan. Shoretire is constantly being pushed up the ladder, so it's difficult to chart where exactly he is at. Most likely another year at under 23 level with a sprinkling of cup games. However, due to how prominent his rise has been, it's difficult to rule out a Championship loan. Not sure he's ready for it though.
Selling Garner a bit short here. He's the only one that's played at a high level at a good standard and also probably most comfortable to play in what is our weakest position. Matić's legs are gone, Pogba is surely leaving, Van de Beek isn't trusted and that leaves us with a thin midfield of McTominay and Fred who aren't particularly great passers. I feel he should be taking over from Matić next season. Even Carrick has spent a lot of time with him according to reports.

Remember the geese

Selling Garner a bit short here. He's the only one that's played at a high level at a good standard and also probably most comfortable to play in what is our weakest position. Matić's legs are gone, Pogba is surely leaving, Van de Beek isn't trusted and that leaves us with a thin midfield of McTominay and Fred who aren't particularly great passers. I feel he should be taking over from Matić next season. Even Carrick has spent a lot of time with him according to reports.

I have liked what I've seen from Garner this season. Particular his recent performances with Forest. I do think he's capable of getting games with us next season, it's just whether a handful of games with us is better than a full season out on loan in the Championship or at a lower Prem side. I'm not so sure we will, but it's also possible that we'll sign a central midfielder in the Summer, so that would block his path slightly also.

lysglimt

Scout
Garners problem is that his best position is a deep midfielder - and that is also perhaps the hardest position to play when you lack experience. Garner might make it at United, but he needs one more season - preferably at a better club than Forest. But at the same time - he is doing so well with Forest and is loved by both the manager and the fans so....maybe better to let him stay

TrustInOle

Agree with most of this, I see Garner being implemented into the squad next year, I doubt we can/ will replace Matic and Pogba in the same window, depending on circumstances. Along with Amad, Greenwood, Shola and possibly Hannibal, I reckon we will be going into the season with one of the youngest squads again, especially if anything happens surrounding De Gea, Matic and Cavani.

SAFMUTD

Besides Greenwood who is already integrated in the team and Diallo who is slowly taking part none of all the other mentioned kids will have an impact here next season. I doubt they'll even be with the first team squad, sure they might get some garbage minutes in a cup or so but we shouldn't keep our hopes up regarding them impacting our game.

Most of them are in the U18s that's at least 1-2 years from the first team since they must play with the U-23 first and then possibly a loan.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Besides Greenwood who is already integrated in the team and Diallo who is slowly taking part none of all the other mentioned kids will have an impact here next season. I doubt they'll even be with the first team squad, sure they might get some garbage minutes in a cup or so but we shouldn't keep our hopes up regarding them impacting our game.

Most of them are in the U18s that's at least 1-2 years from the first team since they must play with the U-23 first and then possibly a loan.
The only one of them who plays for the U-18's is McNeill.

SAFMUTD

1 out of 7 is in the u18s.
The only one of them who plays for the U-18's is McNeill.
My bad thought they were still in the U-18. Still I stand by what I said, at this point none of them is close to the first team. Not in a substantial way anyway, and I doubt that'll change next season. Maybe Garner can get sub minutes but seeing we have VDB who barely plays I don’t think its realistic to think he'll suddenly become an integral part of the team.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
My bad thought they were still in the U-18. Still I stand by what I said, at this point none of them is close to the first team. Not in a substantial way anyway, and I doubt that'll change next season. Maybe Garner can get sub minutes but seeing we have VDB who barely plays I don’t think its realistic to think he'll suddenly become an integral part of the team.
If you don't even know what team they play for your opinion on them is a bit worthless though isn't it?

SAFMUTD

If you don't even know what team they play for your opinion on them is a bit worthless though isn't it?
Well please enlight me since your opinion is way more valuable since you know in what team they play for.

kundalini

CB - Mengi
FB - Laird
CM - Garner, Hannibal
FW - Shoretire
CF - Hugill, McNeil

Pellistri's performances in La Liga, especially against Atletico Madrid, suggest that he is a lot closer to being able to contribute at PL level, than I expected. Ideally, he would have several years out on loan refining his game but given the financial situation is almost certain to force Solskjaer into making compromises in certain areas of the team, Pellistri getting 8 to 10 PL starts next season might be a realistic ask. Amad probably falls in the same category; capable of contributing, so long as we don't make unrealistic physical demands on him.

It's one thing to be a part of the first team squad and another to be a player that Solskjaer trusts enough to actually play competitive matches in PL + CL. The homegrown list of players you compiled look to me like young players that would be likely to get starts in domestic Cup games but be unused subs for PL matches, in the event that they stay rather than go out on loan. I would imagine Shoretire, Hugill and McNeil will spend most of their time playing at U23 level.

In the 2nd half of next season, it is possible that Garner or Hannibal might be ready for an occasional PL start. Laird's problem is that Wan-Bissaka rarely misses a match. He would need to perform at a very high level in order to convince Solskjaer to start him in preference to AWB. I expect Laird to go out on loan again but that may depend on what happens to Dalot and Brandon Williams. Garner's situation is similar, another loan unless a vacancy arises due to a first team player leaving. Hannibal most likely to be on the fringe of the first team squad, though finding it difficult to get mins.

Last edited:

mav_9me

Hannibal isn't breaking through as a CM.

He's had his best form further forward as a #10 or LW.
Disagree. He has the work rate and desire to get stuck in to be a good CM. He has only recently been moved to LW, am sure the coaches have a good reason for that.

Robbie Boy

We have quite a-few really exciting talents at the moment, which is fantastic. It looks as though Ole has stepped up our youth recruitment since coming in. Can't beat the buzz of youth players making it to first team level, and it's always been what this club is all about.

NFM

Clearly posters think they know better than Ole and his staff. That Shoretire and Amad have been added to the first team squad seems to have passed everyone by. And only injury stopped Hannibal having his chance to join them. Garner is and has always been very highly regarded at United and will definitely get his chance. Age is irrelevant, if you are good enough, you play.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Garners problem is that his best position is a deep midfielder - and that is also perhaps the hardest position to play when you lack experience. Garner might make it at United, but he needs one more season - preferably at a better club than Forest. But at the same time - he is doing so well with Forest and is loved by both the manager and the fans so....maybe better to let him stay
it’s better to leave him stay and play every week while he’s still learning the game. It would be a shame to call him back next season and barely use him. We’ve seen it with Tuanzebe who could have done with a PL loan at least. Now he’s stuck in the limbo of being unproven and not getting enough games because he’s too far down the pecking order.

Bertie Wooster

CB - Mengi
FB - Laird
CM - Garner, Hannibal
FW - Shoretire
CF - Hugill, McNeil

Yeah, there's some good prospects there. And I'd also add Fernandez to the FB section.

However, as most have said so far, it doesn't feel like any of them are close enough to the first team to be considered serious members of the squad next season.

They're all quite young and most need to develop physically before dealing with the senior game. And the ones that are doing quite well on loan below the PL - Garner, Laird, and to a lesser extent Mengi - all need to add a lot more to their game before being ready for our first team and would all benefit from another loan next season.

Ability wise, I have most hope for Hannibal. And then probably Shoretire. I love watching Hannibal at youth levels and really hope he can transfer that to the senior game and our first team over the next couple of years.

MrBest

I think Garner, Hannibal and Mengi would be in line for back up roles next season, certainly Garner as a replacement for Matic.

I don't think the whole issue is age or physicality, i think another issue is Ole and his trust within the squad. We've seen countless times this season we have played awful and we are losing or drawing, and he will not turn to his bench. He does not even rate DVB who is miles ahead of Garner and Hannibal.

A third issue would be this ridiculous double pivot we play, which is used to protect our useless centre backs. It's impossible to trust a very talented youth player when in most games, we focus on covering harry and victors asssses rather than trying to build our play properly from the back and progressively trying to attack. Will we buy a new centre back? Who knows, but with covid and the board, i have lost faith in signing what we need. We will probably end up with another youth player to rival our academy.

For the reasons above, I would love to see Hannibal, Mengi, Laid and Garner on loan next season, at a place they can guarentee minutes to grow and gain experience.

I really don't know much about the others to comment except Shoretire looks like he is 13 years old.

Red_toad

Nor was Rashford when he got his chance. I'd say Laird isn't a million miles away from being ready to be in the first team squad, he's having a very good loan spell, so that should put him ahead of the others.