Youth Reports

Neil Thomson

...this year will be kept up to date by you lot. ;) Just paste in the latest from NewsNow or MUTV or ManUtd.com when you see it. Hopefully some of you (MPTutd) will still watch the kids and reserves play and at least do some reports on them even if no longer the full match commentary!

Anyway, I'll start you off.

From the MEN:
Young Reds held

A YOUTHFUL Manchester United side had a useful workout in a 0-0 draw at Conference side Tamworth on Saturday.

The Reds matched last season's FA Trophy finalists in a match that kept the attention of the 1,421 crowd despite a shortage of goalmouth action.

Neil Wood twice went close for United with well struck free-kicks from the edge of the penalty area, whilst Ramon Calliste was presented with the best chance - but was denied by Tamworth keeper Matthew Taylor.

United's juniors scored twice in the last 10 minutes to beat North West Counties League side Woodley Sports 3-2 at Lambeth Grove yesterday.

Woodley's Simon Hackney headed the opening goal in the fifth minute, but United were level two minutes later through Callum Flanagan.

Mike Norton restored the home side's lead before half-time only to see the game slip away near the end, with Matt Williams (penalty) and Chris Eagles grabbing the goals for Brian McClair's team.

From the Oldham Evening Chronicle:
TWO late goals enabled Manchester United reserves to snatch a 3-2 victory at North-West Counties League side Woodley Sports yesterday.

The Reds, 2-1 behind with 11 minutes left, drew level through a Matt Williams penalty before Chris Eagles grabbed the winner.

Spirited Woodley struck the woodwork three times, while Callum Flanagan scored the other goal for a United side which included Scottish international Michael Stewart, who has returned from training with Nottingham Forest.

United coach Brian McClair performed the opening of the Chris Ringland Stand named after the former Woodley player who was killed in an air crash in Turkey.

United reserves were also in action on Saturday. They drew 0-0 with Tamworth, newly promoted to the Nationwide Conference.

MPTutd

Don't worry Neil, I'll keep it up to date.

You know I love talking about little boys.... ;)

Neil Thomson

From scotsman.com:
Oslo club sound warning to Livingston

LIVINGSTON were last night warned that a link-up with Manchester United might not be all it promises to be.

Old Trafford chief executive Peter Kenyon has confirmed the FA Premiership champions hope to agree a deal with the Almondvale club and establish a foothold in Scotland.

The move has been widely welcomed in West Lothian but Norwegian side Oslo Ost, who agreed a partnership two years ago, feel they have been badly let down by Sir Alex Ferguson and the Old Trafford club. Ost claim United have backtracked on promises to farm out players and have also not received any financial assistance.

Sporting director Stein Madsen said: "We are disappointed by United. The club have promised us players, but nothing has happened. I thought the deal was meant to go two ways. We want both players and money."

Madsen claims Ost have been snubbed since Ferguson visited Norway to set up the agreement. He said: "Since then, nothing has happened regarding the first team. United have been here and instructed talents in our youth clubs, but at the senior stage they haven’t contributed.

"The co-operation has been one-sided and not as we had hoped. We wanted to see United help us in the difficult situation we are in now."

Club captain Espen Grina said: "I don’t think Oslo Ost have had a profit out of the United deal. It sounds nice, but we haven’t seen anything of the co-operation. There was talk about getting a United player last season, but it died out."

Nevertheless, both United and the Scottish Premierleague club remain positive about their potential partnership. United believe Livingston’s central location makes them the ideal Scottish candidate and Kenyon hopes to complete a deal soon.

Almondvale chairman Dominic Keane yesterday stressed that the term "feeder club" was inaccurate and insisted that the arrangement would be focused on youth development. "I would be delighted if one of the young players we have comes through this programme and eventually plays at Old Trafford," he said.

"Hopefully this will enable us to retain young players who may have otherwise felt we are not a big enough club."

Manchester United are also in talks with Newport County and MVV Maastricht of Holland, having already tied up similar agreements with Sao Paulo, Sporting Lisbon, Nantes, Walsall and Welsh minnows Connah’s Quay this summer.

cD

Stewart explains Forest decision

Michael Stewart intends to spend his season-long loan spell at Nottingham Forest getting Manchester United out of his system.

Stewart had also been chased by Burnley, where fellow Red Devil Luke Chadwick has agreed a similar loan deal, but the Scotsman said Turf Moor's proximity to Old Trafford was one of the reasons he opted to join Paul Hart's Midlanders.

He said: "When it was decided I should go out on loan for the season I thought I should get away from Manchester. I didn't want to be playing for someone else with Manchester United over my shoulder all the time.

"I didn't want to be knowing what was going on at Manchester United day in and day out, I wanted a chance to forget about it for a year.

"Now I'm down here at Nottingham Forest I can concentrate on playing my football and doing well for this club.

"I've been proactive in taking my career forward and hopefully my performances while I'm here at Forest will give me a better opportunity of getting first-team football when I go get back to Manchester United."

Gabe

Originally posted by MPTutd:
[QB]Don't worry Neil, I'll keep it up to date.

QUOTE]

Will you watch United youths play US U17 on August 7?
US U17 will also play Blackburn, and maybe Australia and Nigeria, all games in the Manchester area.

Neil Thomson

Well he is still a kid...
From ThisIsLondon:
Left, right or centre ... O'Shea is face of the future
By Steve Curry, Daily Mail, in New Jersey
30 July 2003
John O'Shea will stake his claim for a permanent place at the heart of Manchester United's defence tomorrow night in a stadium which will bring memories from his teenage years flooding back.

In 1994 O'Shea was just another 13-year-old Waterford boy dreaming of becoming a famous footballer when the Republic of Ireland pulled off the finest victory in their history - the 1-0 defeat of Italy in a World Cup clash in New Jersey's Giants Stadium.

The celebrations in the Irish bars of Manhattan went on all night and among the revellers were several members of the O'Shea clan living in the Big Apple. His father's two brothers and two sisters had settled in the United States and O'Shea is looking for 12 family tickets for tomorrow's game against Juventus.

Little did young John know that he would be returning to the same imposing arena this week as a Manchester United player who is fast becoming an idol to the Old Trafford fans.

He will sign a £24,000-a-week, four-year contract before the season starts and he is looking to become more than a mere utility player. He said: ' Anywhere across the back four would do. There seems to be a gap alongside Rio Ferdinand and when Mikael Silvestre returns, the manager may want to put him in at left back.

'There seem to be a few questions to be answered about the shape of the team next season and I just hope I am one of the answers.

'The centre half position is where I have always wanted to be. I have filled in at full back on both sides and it went well for me. But my own preference would be in the middle. I started 42 games last season and took part in 62. Something similar this season would make me very happy.

'Players say that your second big season is harder because opposition players know more about you. But that is the challenge I would like. A utility role is not bad at a club like this but it would be good to get a centre half spot.'

To United, though, he has become that most precious of commodities, a player who offers his manager a range of options, from full back to central defence and in midfield.

Ferguson has said: 'I couldn't tell you his best position these days. The boy's adapted to anything we've asked him to do and shows great temperament and balance wherever he plays, so I'd keep the door open for him in several positions.'

Rio Ferdinand, who has the luxury of a range of central defensive partners, said: 'It is always a pleasure to play alongside quality players whether it be John, Mikael Silvestre or Wes Brown. They have all been first class.

'I honestly don't have any preference about who plays alongside me.

'John looks a natural wherever he has played. As time goes on he will eventually fit into a position. That will be when the manager thinks the time is right.

'At the moment he's not sure where he will end up playing but he looks very confident as a centre half. I don't see any problem in having two footballing centre halves.

'If you look back to the early United teams that won the title, both Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister were both players who could pass the ball from defence.'

Roy Keane, who played for Ireland in that victory over Italy, has been something of a mentor to O'Shea, 22, and has urged some caution in the levels of expectation

He said: 'John has been getting a lot of praise and I'd like to see that ease back a bit. I've been as guilty of that as anybody, but everyone needs to calm down and let him develop.

'He's got everything. Good feet, a good football brain and he's very level-headed. But he's from Waterford and they're all laid-back down there.

'John's gone beyond potential, but I know he wants to pin down a position. He's been brilliant at full back but he's probably going to be at his best at centre half.'

O'Shea is a great admirer of Keane and, as a lad, idolised Paul McGrath - another player who proved adept at filling twin roles for United and the Republic of Ireland.

'I definitely learned from Paul,' said O'Shea. 'He was so relaxed but he completely controlled games. In many ways, it was like Roy Keane did for Ireland.

'Paul never trained, he just played the games. That's how good he was. I try to be composed and be a big figure on the pitch and impose myself. That's what Paul used to do and I try to copy that.'

So far, he appears to be doing it rather well.

Neil Thomson

United's new crop clobber Town
30th July 2003

THOSE of you irritated by Manchester United’s supremacy in English football face a miserable decade ahead if the Red Devils’ comprehensive win at the County Ground is anything to go by.

Ricky Sbragia’s Old Trafford youngsters made the game look ridiculously easy as they passed Andy King’s men off the park in a 4-1 triumph.

The only consolation is that such quality opposition will be nowhere to be seen when the serious stuff gets underway on August 9.

Although supporters were disappointed at the absence of names like Ruud van Nistelrooy, Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs, unfamiliar players such as Neil Wood, Eddie Johnson and Chris Eagles look to have every chance of making the breakthrough.

Certainly Town were not at their best and were perhaps expecting an easier encounter against a ‘bunch of kids.’

The match was supposed to be part of the United youngsters’ footballing education.

If Town were cast in the role of teachers, their pupils were the ones dishing out a lesson.

King fielded a strong side with only Andy Gurney and Tommy Mooney the notable absentees.

Stefani Miglioranzi continued in the back three while Grant Smith partnered Sam Parkin in attack.

Town could have taken the lead on five minutes when Igoe dinked a beautiful ball from the right edge of the area for David Duke to stretch and poke a shot into the side-netting.

However, the visitors took the lead two minutes later when Paul Tierney’s left wing cross was met by Eddie Johnson inside the area. He turned swiftly to crack the ball into the net via Bart Griemink’s right post.

Town simply could not get near their young visitors as they played some superb one touch football, rarely wasting a pass and surging forward menacingly at every opportunity.

Matty Hewlett dragged a poor 20 yard effort wide of Ben Williams’ right post on 19 minutes but the men from Old Trafford were gifted a second goal on 23 minutes.

Wood’s corner from the right was met by Phil Bardsley who, completely unmarked, glanced a header into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Town should have reduced the deficit two minutes later as Duke cushioned the ball into Brian Howard’s path but the England under 20 man blazed over from eight yards.

It was Griemink to the rescue on 28 minutes as he hurtled to the right to keep out a fierce drive from Danny Byrne.

Parkin’s leap in the six yard box on 33 minutes caused Williams to spill the ball but Miglioranzi blasted the loose ball wide while at the other end, Griemink’s palms were warmed by a stinging strike from Wood.

Parkin curled an effort high and wide on 40 minutes, having been unable to get the ball from out under his feet when well placed on the right edge of the box and the miss was promptly punished as United made it 3-0.

Phil Picken cut in from the right and thrashed a terrific right foot shot into the top corner from 20 yards.

Town responded immediately and after Viveash had set up the opportunity, Duke hooked a shot into the top left hand corner of the net from 18 yards.

Rhys Evans replaced Griemink at the second half while Smith made way for French triallist Mickael Antoine-Curier.

Evans’ first action was to pick the ball out of the net as David Poole pounced on a poor defensive header to nip in and and slot home.

Town’s French triallist lasted all of 25 minutes before being replaced by Jon Stevenson but King’s men were closed down at every turn and prevented from making any real impact in the final third.

Igoe sent Parkin clear down the right but the big striker was crowded out while Howard skipped through only to blast wide of the right post.

Keith O’Halloran’s appearance as a 72nd minute substitute was greeted with a huge roar.

However, the Irishman could not help prise a second goal for Town and it was the visitors who looked the more likely scorers.

Alan Young and Ben Martin were introduced late on but the contest was well over by that stage.

Town’s last chance came with a Howard strike on 84 minutes but it was charged down by the wall of blue that had dominated proceedings throughout.

Town: Griemink (Evans), Robinson, Duke, Viveash (Martin), Heywood, Miglioranzi (Nicholas), Hewlett (O’Halloran), Igoe (Herring), Howard, Parkin (Young), Smith (Antoine-Curier (Stevenson).

Manchester United: Williams, Sims, Tierney, Bardsley, Tate, Jones, Byrne, Wood, Williams, Johnson, Eagles. Subs: Calliste, Jowsey, Picken, Poole, Hogg. Att: 5,289.

Reality Check
30th July 2003

INVINCIBLE is a word Andy King hopes Town fans have swiftly dropped from their vocabulary after his side were comprehensively conquered by a young Manchester United side.

It is nothing to do with a certain Australian striker ­ rather a desire for supporters to focus on reality.

A 4-1 drubbing at the County Ground disappointed King but he felt it sent out a powerful message that success this year cannot be taken for granted.

He said: “It’s good for people to realise early on that we are not invincible. I knew that anyway but maybe this result will have brought a few people back down to earth.”

King was left salivating about the performance of United’s young stars and while he would love to acquire some of them to aid Town’s Division Two campaign, he knows that removing talented young players from a glittering team unit is no guarantee of success.

King feels the Manchester United ‘universe’ is a world away from a cold night in Colchester.

He said: “Maybe the answer is for me to buy the whole United youth team.

“To take individuals out of that unit and drop them into Division Two will be a huge shock to them.

“It’s within their own ‘world’ that they’re different class.

“The great players in a side will move on and excel elsewhere but take other players out of a great team unit and you never hear from them again.

“We’ve all seen it happen.”

However, there is nothing to suggest that King will not at least talk to United reserve team boss (and his great friend) Ricky Sbragia about certain individuals who excelled for the Old Trafford side last night.

Chris Eagles and Neil Wood were shining lights for United.

He said: “I’m no fool. There were some good players out there and the first thing to check is whether people are available.

“I have to be careful and make sure the year-long loans I go for are the right ones.

“This defeat has dampened what has been a good pre-season but again, as I have stressed, playing Manchester United’s youngsters is not a guide to how we will fare in Division Two.”

Trying their hardest to impress in Pre-season I see. :) They really do play lovely one touch passing football.

Nico

Young Reds win in Gorton

31/7/03 1:54 PM

Click for more Club News

United's Under-19 side beat Abbey Hey 3-2 in a friendly in Gorton on Wednesday night.

The home side started well and took the lead after eleven minutes through Andy Walker.

United fought back well, though, and got themselves into a 3-1 lead thanks to two strikes from Mads Timm sandwiching a David Poole effort.

Brian McClair's side looked likely to throw the game away once they had got in front, but it was Abbey Hey who closed the scoring with Jason Anthony netting with eight minutes to go.

Abbey Hey pulled out all the stops near the close in attempt to force a draw but United were good value for the win

Neil Thomson

Ahhhh good to know Mads isn't injured, I'd not heard him play yet this season. U19's? He should be moved up to the reserves at least.

Neil Thomson

From the Scotsman:
McClair's starlets arrive for birthday bash date

EDINBURGH CITY celebrate their 75th anniversary this year, and play host to exalted company on Sunday when they take on Manchester United.

The Old Trafford youth team will face the East Seniors Premier Division side at Meadowbank, kick off 3.00pm.

Brian McClair, the former Celtic player and Scottish internationalist, is the coach of the team and guided them to victory in last season’s FA Youth Cup when they beat Middlesborough in the final.

When Edinburgh City was founded in 1928, it was felt that a city the size of Edinburgh, with its academic and medical connections, could easily provide the athletic spirit and talent necessary to maintain a strong squad.

But it is doubtful if those original founders would have entertained the idea of taking on a club in years to come with the pedigree of Manchester United.

Youth development has played a pivotal role in United’s success story. FA Youth Cup victories, and there have been nine of them, have laid the foundations for the most successful of the Old Trafford outfit’s teams.

Sir Matt Busy’s talented young side won the inaugural FA Youth Cup in 1953. The 60s were in full swing when George Best inspired the 1964 team to victory. The squad which won the cup in 1992 included David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt.

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson is confident the United fans can expect more of the same from this current squad.

"We would be disappointed if it was only two of this year’s youth team who made it through to the first-team pool," he said.

"The whole history of Manchester United has been generated by the influx of young players over five decades."

The squad for Sunday’s game will include youngsters Chris Eagles, Ben Collett, Sylvan Blake, Paul McShane, Luke Steele and Graeme Port, who has represented Scotland at under-18 level.

They may be the stars of United in years to come and the Edinburgh footballing public have a unique opportunity to see them in action.

The man who is charged with trying to ensure that United do not overwhelm Edinburgh City is manager Tom Steven who has just taken over the role at Meadowbank.

Steven played with Hibs, Berwick Rangers and East Fife as well as having a successful career in Australia. As a manager he has had spells at Cowdenbeath, Craigroyston and Harthill and is now determined to lead Edinburgh City to glory. "I am happy with the way pre-season training and the way games have gone so far," he said.

"We gave a good performance against a strong Livingston side and did very well against Berwick Rangers last weekend.

"We are going out against Manchester United to put on a good show. We know that the United players will be of the very highest quality. The bottom line is that any 19-year-old playing for them has to be a very good player. I would think that most of them would be capable of playing in the Scottish Premierleague.

"It will be a very difficult game for us but my players are looking forward to playing against quality footballers.

"It will be a big test but I know that my players have enough about them to put on a good performance.

"It is probably stretching it to say we are as good as the Manchester United youngsters but we have some very capable players."

Steven has the best central defender in the East of Scotland league, Brian Foster, at the heart of his rearguard and it is an ideal opportunity for Foster to stake a claim for a place with a Scottish league side.

City also have Tadg Moriarty, who has had experience with Celtic and Stirling Albion, in their line up while Chris Nye, a striker who was with Armadale, is a lethal predator.

It promises to be an entertaining afternoon and tickets are still available. They can be bought from the Edinburgh Festival Fringe Office, 180 High Street, or direct from Meadowbank Stadium.

Tickets will also be on sale at Meadowbank on Sunday from a ticket booth outside the ground. The price is £10 with concessions costing £5.

A special 32-page souvenir programme will also be available so the message from Edinburgh City is - get there early for the biggest match in their 75-year history.

muchadu

Blackburn-U-17 2 US-U-17 4.

Mr Freddy Adu came in at half time, and responded by scoring a hat trick. Next match with Manchester U-17 on the 7th.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
A young Reserve side, led by coach Ricky Sbragia, beat Second Division Swindon 4-1 at the County Ground on Tuesday evening.

With a 21-man squad out in the United States, the Reds' second string boasted an average age of nineteen but were more than a match for the home side, running out easy winners in front of a crowd of 5,289 fans.

Paul Tierney crossed from the left for Eddie Johnson to give United the lead in the seventh minute and Phillip Bardsley headed the second goal midway through the half.

Phil Picken claimed the goal of the night with a blistering 30 yard drive, but just before the break David Duke pulled one back for Swindon.

Substitute David Poole netted his side's fourth goal just after the interval and from then on the result was never in doubt.

The match proved to be a good warm-up for the Under-23 tournament in Lisbon the lads have flown out to compete in. Best of luck, boys

Gabe

Originally posted by muchadu:
<strong>Blackburn-U-17 2 US-U-17 4.

Mr Freddy Adu came in at half time, and responded by scoring a hat trick. Next match with Manchester U-17 on the 7th.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Re: Adu, every game its the same story, maybe not a hat trick within 15, but he is always the best player on the field, and he's younger by 2 or 3 years.
Interesting to see how he stands out in the U17 WC.

The bulgarian Stoitchkov who was a handy player himself in his day, and now plays with DC United where Adu trains from time to time, said of him-
"He's sensational. Never in my life have I seen anything like it."

Nico

Blake's heaven as kids shine for United

KEITH ANDERSON

SYLVAN EBANK-BLAKE may not be a household name in comparison with superstars including David Beckham, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes but watch out for this young Red Devil in the next few years.

The 18-year-old Manchester United hitman notched a superb hat trick against Edinburgh City to help earn the Old Trafford youngsters a 4-2 win to celebrate City’s 75th anniversary.

A crowd of 2003 turned up to see the Manchester United stars of the future and they were not disappointed with six quality goals in the sunshine at Meadowbank Stadium, for once without the wind that traditionally blows down the pitch.

City were honoured to have such noteworthy opposition as, arguably, the biggest club in the world and although it was predominantly their FA Youth Cup squad for this coming season, the name of Manchester United is synonymous with quality of the highest standard.

However, City, under the watchful eye of the new manager, Tom Steven, started the brighter although midfield player, Willie Edgar, was carried off after only four minutes with an injured knee.

Chris Gordon, a product of City’s under-18 development squad, replaced Edgar and moved up front where he was a constant thorn in the side of the United defence and an inswinging cross from him tested Luke Steele in the United goal.

Then a Tadg Moriarty free-kick was also held by the busier goal keeper as City captain Brian Foster waited to pounce.

In the 20th minute the crowd was expectant when United were awarded a direct free-kick 25 yards out after Gary Jardine had brought down the impressive Marcus Meumayer.

Would United have another up-and-coming David Beckham?

Meumayer took the free-kick himself and although the ball beat the defensive wall Alan Mackintosh was there to save it comfortably.

Phil Marsh then pulled a shot wide of the target before the crowd were applauding a cracking goal from City.

A Jardine free-kick to the back post was headed across goal by Foster and Moriarty wheeled to slam a bicycle kick high into the net from eight yards.

The lead was to last only five minutes before Ebank-Blake showed pace, composure and no uncertain ability with the ball at his feet to evade three tackles in the City penalty box before passing the ball into the net from 14 yards.

Steele continued to be the busier goalkeeper when he palmed out efforts by Andy Donachie and Chris Nye. A 1-1 scoreline at half-time was an excellent achievement by City and manager, Steven, took the opportunity to bring on five substitutes for the second period.

It took Ebank-Blake only a few minutes to register his second goal, though, when he found space and darted behind the City defence before drawing Mackintosh and coolly slipping the ball into the net at the far post.

However, City were not to be outdone and a five-man move which started in their own penalty box after Foster fed Andy Irving brought them an equaliser. Irving threaded a pass to Gerry Burgess who found Gordon wide on the right and his pinpoint cross was headed into the net by Lee Hartley. It was a classic goal which any professional side would have been happy to score.

There were 20 minutes remaining when United took the lead with a goal which came from a suspiciously offside position. Both Ebank-Blake and Aaron Burns looked offside when they both went for a through ball.

Ebank-Blake won it and put through Burns who scored from an acute angle despite loud protests from the City defenders.

Only two minutes later, Ebank-Blake confirmed United’s victory when he controlled the ball, ran at the defence and chipped the ball past Mackintosh for his hat-trick.

Brian McClair, the former Celtic, Manchester United and Scottish internationalist who is in charge of the United youngsters said: "It was a great experience for our young players because they do not get enough opportunities to play against adults.

"We regard this as a very important part of their footballing education.

"Some of the players were only schoolboys and I thought they conducted themselves well.

"It also gave them the chance to breathe in some nice, clean Scottish air," smiled McClair.

Moriarty, who scored City’s first goal said: "The game was played at a high tempo but I felt that we gave a good account of ourselves."

Hartley, City’s other scorer said: "I was just determined to get to the front post and luckily I connected and managed to head the ball into the far corner. Manchester United were absolute class and that is the way to play football.

"Hopefully, we can all learn from that because it was a brilliant experience."

City captain Brian Foster was also full of praise for the United youngsters.

He said: "It was like playing two-touch football all over the park although they always seemed to have an extra man. Having said that, I thought that we competed well until their level of fitness showed in the last 15 minutes."

City manager Steven said: "We scored two good goals and gave everybody in the squad a game.

"To score two goals against a Manchester United team has to be very satisfactory. They have the pick of all the quality young footballers in Britain.

"We have done the East of Scotland League proud and it is my job to ensure that we get that kind of performance every week."

Edinburgh City: Mackintosh, Ferry, Jardine, Edgar, Foster, McNamara, Donachie, Moriarty, Nye, Seeley, Murray. Subs: Irving, C Gordon, G Gordon, Burgess, Godden, Hartley, McColl, Mullen, Vannett.

Manchester United: Steele, Bardsley, Hogg, McGuala, McShane, Booth, Meumayer, Jones, Ebank-Blake, Marsh, Port. Subs: Day, Heaton, Lee, Burns, Wallwork.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Blakes had a good season so far, was the teams top scorer in the Milk Cup. Could be a break through season.

Gabe

U.S. Under 17 2-1 Manchester United Under 18

MANCHESTER, England (August 7, 2003) - The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team responded with two goals in 10 minutes after allowing an early goal and held on for a 2-1 win against U-18 Manchester United this afternoon at Carrington Training Center in Manchester, England.
The match was the third game the U.S. has played here in England as the team gets prepared to compete in the FIFA Under-17 World Championship in Finland from August 13-30. The U.S. will face the Nigeria U-17 Men’s National Team in its final preparation match on Saturday, August 9 at Manchester United’s Carrington Training Center.
After allowing an early goal that deflected off a U.S. defender, Freddy Adu answered with a goal and an assist to lead the team back to victory. United’s goal in the 10th minute proved to be their only shot on goal during the entire game.
The U.S. got the first good look on goal in the 5th minute, when midfielder Guillermo Gonzalez hit the crossbar. Gonzalez stepped in front of a United pass in their own half, quickly turned up field and dribbled towards his left. With ‘keeper Luke Daniels a bit off his line, Gonzalez ripped a shot from about 30 yards out, but Daniels was just able backtrack to get a hand on the ball knocking it up and off the crossbar.
United struck five minutes later, scoring on their only shot on goal. Forward Sylvan Blake, a well-built speedster who gave the U.S. defense trouble all day, received a pass as he streaked down the left flank. With defender Adrian Chevannes on his heels, Blake pushed the ball down the endline and then curled the ball back into the penalty area to midfielder Marcus Neumayer. A bit off balance, Neumayer’s one-time volley had little pace on it as it dashed towards the crowded goalmouth, but it ricocheted off defender Julian Valentin and rolled in the back of the net.
United had a great chance to go up by two goals as Blake slipped through for a wide-open net, but midfielder Steve Curfman hustled back to make an astonishing foot save to clear Blake’s shot wide of the goal. Blake collected the ball in the right side of the penalty area and pushed it to his left forcing ‘keeper Quentin Westberg to come out. Westberg went to the ground, but Blake pushed it to his left again around the keeper and had an open net. Blake tried to place it in the net, but Curfman came from behind to slide in front knock it wide.
In the 15th minute, Michael Harrington nearly had his first goal during the three preparation matches, but a well-timed save by Daniels thwarted his opportunity. Gonzalez slotted a perfect through ball to Harrington, who was left with a one-on-one with Daniels. Harrington tried to slip the ball to the lower left past Daniels, but he dove to his right to keep United’s 1-0 advantage.
Three minutes later, Chris Germani, who started at left midfield, almost knocked in a header for the equalizer. Making a near post run, Germani pounced on Gonzalez’s free kick from the right sideline, but Daniels was in perfect position to pull in the attempt.
The U.S. finally got the equalizer in the 40th minute, after a United giveaway near the center circle. Harrington quickly got the ball out wide left to Germani, who brought the ball towards the endline and glided a ball on the ground across the goalmouth to a wide-open Adu. Adu, making a run from midfield, easily knocked it in from the edge of the six-yard box.
Early in the second half, the U.S. broke the tie as Jamie Watson got his second goal in the past three games in the 50th minute. The U.S. was awarded a free kick from the left side of the penalty area after Adu was taken down while possessing the ball against two United defenders. Adu crossed in the free kick and substituted United ‘keeper Lee Crockett misread its movement as it bounced near the six-yard box, allowing Watson to slide in and knock the ball home.
The U.S. had a couple of other chances, most of which were created by second half substitute Corey Ashe at the left midfield position. Ashe worked diligently up the left flank, starting attacks on goal with Adu and Watson.
United last opportunity came in the 71st minute off a corner kick from Neumayer. The service from the right side found Kyle Moran at the back post, but his header went high.
In injury time, the U.S. had a bit of a scare as Adu went down in the box after a shot attempt. Being defended on the attempt, Adu knocked into the United player and came down oddly on his ankle. Adu stayed on the field and got treatment for a few minutes before walking off on his own power. The injury was said to be a slight ankle sprain and there was no swelling.
He is listed as day-to-day and it is uncertain whether he will play against Nigeria.

Scoring Summary:
                        1st 2nd Final
United States      1   1      2
Manchester U-18 1    0     1
MAN – Marcus Neumayer (Sylvain Blake) 10th minute
USA – Freddy Adu (Chris Germani) 40th
USA – Jamie Watson (Freddy Adu) 50th

Lineups:

USA – 18-Quentin Westberg; 14-Julian Valentin (5-Brandon Owens, 46), 3-Jonathan Spector, 16-Adrian Chevannes (4-Eddie Gaven, 46); 19-Jacob Peterson (2-Kyle Helton, 22) 12-Steve Curfman, 6-Chris Germani (8-John DiRaimondo, 46), 7-Brian Grazier (17-Daniel Szetela, 46), 10-Guillermo Gonzalez (15-Corey Ashe, 46); 11-Freddy Adu, 9-Michael Harrington (13-Jamie Watson, 46).
Subs not used: 1-Phil Marfuggi, 28-Steven Sandbo

MAN UTD– 1-Luke Daniels (13-Lee Crockett, 46); 3-Michael Lee, 5-Paul McShane, 4-Flo Ngalula, 2-Mitchell Booth; 7-Marcus Neumayer, 8-Richard Jones (17-Jamie Mullen, 57), 6-Kiernon Lee, 11-Aaron Burns; 9-Sylvain Blake (12-Kyle Moran, 61), 10-Phil Marsh.

Statistical Summary:
                   USA  MAN
Shots             8       1
Saves             0      6
Corner Kick     4      7
Fouls             15     15
Offside            3      0

Gabe

US U17 centre back talks about his move to United and his switch from forward to defender that caught the eye of a United scout:

Jonathan Spector's Journey to Manchester United
8/6/03 7:50 PM

When the U.S. Under-17 Men's National Team arrived in Manchester, England last week to play its World Championship preparation matches, it wasn't the first trip to the city for central defender Jonathan Spector. And it won't be his last. At 16 years of age, Spector has already signed a contract with Manchester United and will begin playing with the club's U-19 and reserve teams in September as a defender. His journey to one of the best football clubs in the world was a strange one as just 15 months earlier, the Arlington Heights, Ill. native was fighting for playing time with the Under-17 MNT as a forward. As Spector gets to face some of his soon-to-be teammates tomorrow (August 7) in a friendly against a  Manchester United youth team at United's Carrington Training Center, read how he completed his travel from bench to Man. U.
He was just trying to help the team.
A year later, 17-year-old Jonathan Spector was in England signing a contract to play for Manchester United’s U-19 and reserve teams.
It was May of 2002 and the U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team was playing in the Ballymena International Tournament in Northern Ireland. The team was struggling on defense as a couple players were nicked up and couldn’t play to their full potential. Head coach John Ellinger was searching for a solution to tighten up his defense. He found it in Spector, a 6-foot, 180-pound blond forward sitting on the bench.
He'll never forget the day he made "the switch."
"I was a little nervous going in. I had never played defense for the national team," said Spector. "But I figured if he had the confidence to put me back there, I shouldn’t have any reason to be nervous. I figured it was also a good opportunity for me as well, because I wasn’t getting the playing time that I would have liked and this could be my way of contributing to the team on the field."
Ellinger put Spector in as a central defender at halftime of the team’s second game against Wales, which they ended up winning 2-1. It looked like it might work. Ellinger started Spector in the next game against Austria and the U.S. shut them out for a 1-0 victory. That’s when the coach knew -- it definitely worked.
After the game against Austria, Spector became a fixture in the U.S. Under-17 backline, but that wasn’t the only thing that he gained from playing that day. In the stands was a scout from Manchester United. He, too, figured Spector might be able to fit in as a defender for the most famous team in the world.
After a week-long tryout in September of last year, Spector was offered a contract and will be moving to Manchester full-time following the FIFA Under-17 World Championship at the end of this month.
In only 90 minutes against Austria, Spector’s life had changed dramatically. But the process had already been put in motion moths earlier.
Just four months before, playing in the tournament in Ballymena, Spector had already made a life-changing decision by leaving his family in Arlington Heights, Ill., to join the U.S. Soccer residency program in Bradenton, Fla. And at that point, it wasn’t going all that great.
When he started the residency in January 2002, Spector was hobbled a bit by a nagging hamstring injury and was finding it difficult to crack a starting line-up that had a number of stellar players.
"I was a little shaky from the start and I wasn’t getting much time playing as a forward," he said. "I’d come in toward the end of games for a few minutes every now and then. It was tough. I got a little homesick at first."
Then came "the switch" to defender and the "spotting" by the Manchester United scout.
"(Manchester) was actually going to scout the Austrian forward, but they saw me instead. I was marked up against him and they didn’t get a shot off the entire game. Our defense did a great job."
After the tournament, Spector said he had heard that some European teams might be interested in him, but no club had contacted him, so he figured it was just a rumor. But, a short time later, the rumor became reality as Ellinger told him that Manchester United was beckoning.
In September, after just his first year of residency in Bradenton, Spector was jumping on a plane by himself to Manchester for a tryout. Still a bit tired right after getting off his flight, Spector was told he had to go train with the team. Not the easiest transition, but one he was prepared to handle.
"I figured it was a big opportunity for me and I wasn’t going to let anything get in the way of it," Spector said. "I wasn’t really nervous, I was just anxious and pretty excited for the opportunity I was given. Not every American has the opportunity to play in Europe and I was lucky."
"I figured if it’s meant to be, it will. I just said I’m going to go in and work my hardest and hopefully I’ll get a good result out of it, and if not, it was a great experience."
It worked out better than he could have expected.
"The next few days went pretty smoothly and then they asked me to stay a few more days, which I was pretty excited about," he said. "Then the day before I left they offered me the contract and told me to go home and talk it over with my parents."
After making another trip out to Manchester, this time with his parents, Spector made the decision to leave the comfort of the states and begin working towards his soccer (he’d now say football) dreams. It probably wasn’t too hard considering he said he was given "the red carpet treatment," which included going to a few games (including a Champions League game against Bayer Leverkusen), speaking one-on-one with Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, seeing Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and the now departed David Beckham. Plus, there was a chance meeting with Ruud Van Nistelrooy in the weight room.
"He actually approached me," said Spector with an amazed smile. "I was a little scared and I didn’t want to go up to him. He introduced himself to me and I didn’t understand why he was introducing himself because everyone knows who he is. It was kind of amazing, because I had seen him the night before score either one or two goals and kind of tear it up."
"I was pretty honored that he came up to me and asked where I was from. I told him I was from America, and he said he’d love to go visit there sometime. He was a very nice guy."
Still needing to officially sign the four-year contract, and needing to do it before a new rule passed this year which requires a player to be 18 years old to sign a professional contract, Spector flew back to Manchester one more time in early May of this year. "I flew there, signed the contract the next day and flew out," Spector said.
He says he’ll miss his family, but it would just be like if he was going to college. He will stay with a family who has two kids (one his age, one a year older) also in Manchester’s youth program. He had stayed with the family during his tryout and said they were "really nice," so he figured he’d stay with them full-time.
And while he may not be playing college soccer in the states, he will take college courses as he trains with Manchester.
While he’s in England, Spector said he’s looking forward to meeting fellow American Tim Howard, who was recently signed as a goalkeeper by Manchester. And he’s hoping along with Howard he can help improve the image of American soccer players.
"I’m looking forward to the opportunity I have. I want to show how much American soccer has grown in the last few years, because I still don’t think we get the credit we deserve. I’d also like to play for their first team."
"There’s a little bit of pressure because people are going to be looking at me, see how I do and possibly rate American soccer by how I perform. Of course there’s pressure, but it’s not how I’m looking at the situation."
And while he’s looking to pick up where Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller, Eddie Lewis, Joe Max-Moore, John Harkes, and Brian McBride have begun, he’s hoping he won’t pick up something else some of them have – an English accent.
"It’s possible. A lot of people have told me I will (pick up an accent). I heard Brad Friedel speak just recently here and he has one. I don’t know, it’s looking a little bit shaky, but I’ll have another American here (Howard), so we can talk. But, who knows. If I do, I do."
The one thing he says he has already learned is how to handle adversity. Going from sitting on the bench to one of the top clubs in the world will do that to you.
Look what can happen when all you’re trying to do is help the team.

<a href="http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=40743" target="_blank">LINK</a>

Nico

Reserves: Aston Villa 1 Manchester United 1 - Full Time Match Report Posted by: JohnCresswell
Full time in Villa's first game of the season at Villa Park. OK, it was the reserves...

Villa: Postma, Amoo, Jackman, Bewers, O’Connor, Kinsella, Cooke, Davis, S.Moore, Crouch, Kachloul

Manchester United: Carroll, Sims, Tierney, Bardsley, Tate, Jones, Byrne, Wood, Johnson, Williams, Eagles. Subs: Poole, Williams, Eckersley, Timm

After a minutes silence Villa kicked off against the Red Devils but it was Manchester United getting the first chance in the game.

Neil Wood, part of the Manchester United midfield that has dominated over Villa's strode and took a long ranger that went just over the bar.

Kachloul, Crouch and Moore all had shots as Villa began to get some possession, but couldn't create any decent chances.

Manchester United could. Eddie Johnsen took the ball out wide in the box and struck the ball to finish a good individual effort. Stefan Postma will be disapointed that the ball struck the net as the shot was across the goal so he could have done better.

The game became incredibly dull, and Mark Kinsella dared to make it slightly exciting by hitting the crossbar. An Amoo cross was brought down by Crouch and Kinsella struck the ball.

Player of the half so far has to be Danny Jackman who has performed with a lot of effort and attacking guile so far.

Aston Villa 0 Manchester United 1 - Half Time

It didn't take long for Villa to get the equaliser once the second half had kicked off, when out of nowhere Mark Kinsella struck a shot from some way out. The thunderbolt left Carroll with no chance and Kinsella celebrated as if he had just scored in the first team.

With the scores level, Stefan Moore came close after an Amoo cross but poked his shot just wide.

Through out the second half Villa have looked the strongest.

On 65mins, Peter Hynes comes on for Hassan Kachloul.

Villa should have taken the lead five minutes later, when Stefan Moore swiped the ball wide from eight yards out. Crouch set up the Villa youngster but Stefan failed to connect properly and the scores remained level.

The game became 'bitty' and the first chance either team had came on 83 mins when Stephen Cooke wandered into the center and his shot was deflected wide.

And that was it as far as chances went. Crouch was subbed for Colin Marshall and Villa should really be disapointed with the draw as they had enough chances to win this game.

Manchester United could have snatched a win at the end when Timm crossed to Eagles but Postma produced two great saves.

Ryan Amoo, Danny Jackman and Mark Kinsella were the star players.

Full Time: Aston Villa 1 Manchester United 1

muchadu

Youth teamer Jonathon Specter played well in the back for the US today
against South Korea. He picked up a yellow for a brutal foul, but other
than that, it was an enjoyable rout.Specter really stuck in well, gave
no space, and pushed the ball up in attack several times.

Freddy Adu scored a hat trick as
the US beat S. Korea 6-1 in their opening game of the U-17 world champ-ionships.

Adu's first goal was really sweet. Received the ball around 5 defenders,
dribbled through 3 of them, quickly rounded the keeper, and shot it past
him near post. Second goal, he rounded a defender, and beat the keeper
near post again. Third goal a PK.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Not a youth report but an observation, after the last 2 games hes played in, its more and more obvious that fletcher has to play in the middle, its his position. A bit of muscle and a bit of time and he'll be a top player, reminds me of veron... :nervous:

Neil Thomson

From TeamTalk:
Danny Webber feels Sir Alex Ferguson should not forget about his homegrown talent in the wake of Christiano Ronaldo's Manchester United debut.

Potuguese wonderkid Ronaldo made his debut as a second-half substitute to inspire the Premiership champions to a 4-0 win over Bolton in their opening-day game.

But Webber, forced out of the club this summer by a lack of first-team opportunities, reckons there is still hope for the likes of Kieran Richardson and Darren Fletcher, who did not even make the bench.

The Watford striker said: "It's getting more difficult but I don't see why the youngsters can't come through there.

"Sometimes when you're stuck in the reserves at United you feel unappreciated. You want to show what you can do but with the calibre of players there you don't always get that chance.

"It only became clear to me within the last six months I wasn't going to get into United's first team and so it seemed stupid to stay. I needed first-team football."

I can imagine that he's not the only one feeling like that. Our reserves don't get much chance during the season and they know the standard is so high most of them don't stand a chance. I just hope the likes of Fletcher and Richardson do get given the odd premiership chance this season.

mu77

where does it leave timm? these new signings i mean. i remember posting what about this kid kaka to be told we've got m. timm in the wings waiting. will he be off?

uranushk1

I'd Bellion if I said I were an optimist
Neil Thomson said:
From TeamTalk:

I can imagine that he's not the only one feeling like that. Our reserves don't get much chance during the season and they know the standard is so high most of them don't stand a chance. I just hope the likes of Fletcher and Richardson do get given the odd premiership chance this season.
It will definitely be tough, but I still believe someone who is good enough will still get his chance here. Player such as O'Shea is good example. Young player must patiently wait for a rare chance, and then show all of his ability when he gets one. Fergie obviously likes Fletcher and Richardson, so they will definitely get a chance to play.

Neil Thomson

From ManUtd.com:
The first-ever Brazilian to sign for Manchester United will make his debut appearance in a Reds shirt on Wednesday night at Moss Lane.

United’s reserve team coach Ricky Sbragia confirmed to ManUtd.com that the Brazilian “will play some part in the game” against Blackburn – the Reds’ reserves first home game of the season.

It will be the first opportunity for United supporters to see Kleberson in action, a player who Ferguson said "won Brazil the World Cup".

So, for the first glimpse of the £5.93m World Cup winning midfielder, and to support United's second-string, get down to Moss Lane on Wednesday evening.

United Reserves v Blackburn Reserves
Wednesday 20 August, Kick Off 7pm.

mu77 - Timm had better get a chance! I noticed he played very little during pre-season, mostly as a sub. I don't know if thats because of fitness/injury or what. Fingers crossed he gets an injury free season.

uranushk1 - what worries me is that without first team games the youngsters won't improve like they can, and won't fulfill their potential. I do think though that Alex has the kids in his mind as part of his new team he's building. Maybe they'll get more runouts this season.

In the next couple of days I shall be on my travels again, so I really won't be able to keep this thread up to date. Please can people post the latest stuff from NewsNow here.

Neil Thomson

mozza said:
Is the width of this thread screwed up for anyone else? If it is could one of the mods fix it please.
Fixed, was due to the move to the new forum software.

pjaya

Neil, I have read somewhere that United under 18 played yesterday (19th Aug) but I forget the link and whose the opposition. anyway Marcus Neumayer did score and create a goal. Can you confirm/advise?
thanks.

Nico

Timm is in the team for this evenings reserve game against Blackburn , so hopefully he impresses!

LenSharkey

pjaya said:
Neil, I have read somewhere that United under 18 played yesterday (19th Aug) but I forget the link and whose the opposition. anyway Marcus Neumayer did score and create a goal. Can you confirm/advise?
thanks.
just this from Red News:
Bit of info as well, went to watch the Under 19's at Squires Gate last night & the German kid Marcus Neymaur looks a bit tasty, took control of the game in the 2nd half, scoring one & two great long range passes for Calliste to score.Dosen't like to tackle, very much in the Jan Molby mould but without the lard.

Gabe

I've been watching the FIFA U17 WC. US U17 and United's centre back Jonathan Spector has been excellent, especially in todays game against Spain. Though the US lost, he was their best player IMO. He's tall, well built, quite quick and skillful too(he started out as a forward). Also he's got a healthy dash of aggression- a spanish forward (he marked out of the game in the game in the first half) barged him near the end and he just dumped him on his ass with contempt- nice to have defenders with that edge to them :D

The Wizard

Fletch has Scots run-out

21/8/03 11:04 AM

Reds midfielder Darren Fletcher made his full Scotland debut on Wednesday night in a 0-0 draw with Norway in Oslo.

And Scottish manager Bertie Vogts has spoken in glowing terms of the highly-rated midfielder. Vogts even went as far as to liken Fletcher to German football legend Lothar Matthaus.

"He is about the same level as Matthaus at the same age,” Vogts enthused. “Darren is unbelievable, he is so confident with the ball.

The 19-year-old highly-promising central midfielder started on the bench for the Scots, and came on in the second half for his first appearance for Bertie Vogts’ side.

Fletcher could have made his full Scotland debut much earlier in his career, but due to injuries as a cause of a sudden growth spurt at the age of 16, Fletch has been held back.

Vogts had previously noted that he “knows what Fletcher can do” and had made the conscious decision not to throw the midfielder into the deep end too soon. But now, with his injury problems hopefully behind him, his height settling at 6ft 1in, his international career can blossom.

”He is willing to receive it under any circumstances,” Vogts said. “He can play on the right or the left and in the middle, just behind the strikers. He is progressing well at Old Trafford and I can see him having maybe 20 games in Alex Ferguson’s first team this season.”

Even though Ronaldo, Eric Djemba-Djemba and Ronaldo are all eyeing positions in midfield, Fletcher will be looking to use his two appearances last season as a springboard for more of an involvement this term.

And even though United are strong in midfield, it says something of just how highly Vogts rates the promising youngster that he can see Darren playing an increasing role in the side.

”The number of important matches in all the competitions United have in a season, Alex needs around 25 players. I know there is a lot of competition for midfield places in that team, but Darren will have chances and that can only make him better,” he added.

Fletcher only made his full United debut five months ago, against FC Basel in the Champions League on March 12. However, not that Fletcher’s undoubted potential is being beginning to be fulfilled, Vogts is expecting very big things from one of the shining lights of Scottish football.

”He has a very big future, and it’s very good for the Scottish game,” Vogts said after watching Fletcher make his debut. “I’ve known about him for a long time and he had very bad luck with injuries during the two seasons before last. That’s why I wouldn’t rush him into our under-19 side, even though we could do with somebody of his talent. I said ‘no, this is a player Scotland will need over the next 12 years, not just for the moment’."

Fletcher could be in line to add to his debut international cap in the forthcoming qualifiers against the Faroe Islands on 6 September, and then a crunch Group, but for now he can savour the moment of the first in what will hopefully be a succession of appearances in international football; a stage that befits hits talents.

pjaya

LenSharkey said:
just this from Red News:Bit of info as well, went to watch the Under 19's at Squires Gate last night & the German kid Marcus Neymaur looks a bit tasty, took control of the game in the 2nd half, scoring one & two great long range passes for Calliste to score.Dosen't like to tackle, very much in the Jan Molby mould but without the lard.
thanks LenSharkey.

from the rednews:he doesn't like to tackle?

Mike69

markus as always been a great player. cant wait to see him and ronaldo in the first team midfield. that would make our midfield very creative and would stop all the do we miss becks and seba threads