Yves Bissouma / Signs for Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseguy64

You are right, but it is for these same reasons people can’t have it both ways. It is for the same reasons that there would not have been a ‘media backlash’ had we signed Bissouma. We are not talking about blog sites. There are ethical and legislation protocols, and then there is the fact that the man is innocent in the eyes of the law, the media would need to tread carefully.
Bissouma is not the same as Greenwood legally I think re: that. I don't know British law to confirm it but I'd expect media backlash considering the difference.

roseguy64

Yeah he’s an innocent man until proven guilty. I’m sure there will be legal radon to it and also pending cases cannot have biased opinions published which could have an impact on an open case.
Then why are you making out that there's been no backlash on Greenwood as if it's a surprise and people don't care about rape?

Mainoldo

Then why are you making out that there's been no backlash on Greenwood as if it's a surprise and people don't care about rape?
How do you quantify public opinion?

My point is nobody is screaming get him out of our club. Reason being out of site out of mind.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bissouma is not the same as Greenwood legally I think re: that. I don't know British law to confirm it but I'd expect media backlash considering the difference.
Indeed, but the difference is also the reason why there won’t be a backlash either. You can say they cannot talk about Greenwood because there is an ongoing case, but we can initiate a media backlash about this one because it hasn’t even met the threshold to be an ongoing case? That doesn’t make sense to me. Either it is serious enough to the point where they can’t legally discuss it, or irrelevant enough to the point where they can’t legally discuss it. Having a media backlash on the basis of a technicality that they are free to discuss it because it is ‘only’ an unproven allegation is a stretch, and easily open for a libel suit.

James35

Spurs will have Hojbjerg, Bentacur and Bissouma. They aren’t messing about. Think they will cement their place ahead of us again next season. Conte is a top coach and Spurs have a very good squad. Not challenging for title good but I’m sure they will be challenge Chelsea for third.

SATA

I don’t believe Brighton are selling him for a mere 25M. They sold Ben White for near 50M ffs

Also calm down, I don’t think he’s in our list of targets nor is he one that got away

Lee565

It's crazy how spurs have turned it around in just a year, poor looking squad outside of kane and son, just hired a new awful ultra defensive manager with no pedigree in Santos on the back of a mediocre interim manager and past toxic and pragmatic mourinho, looked nothing like a club that could realistically get champions league spot and now they are looking like favourites to finish behind Liverpool and man City next season with a smart rebuild of their squad in thr past two windows and realising the opportunity to hire conte was a no brainer

DevilRed

I don’t believe Brighton are selling him for a mere 25M. They sold Ben White for near 50M ffs

Also calm down, I don’t think he’s in our list of targets nor is he one that got away
Last year of his contract.

And they know he is bang average.

Ace_Ventura

Even if he was available for free, we would stay well clear, this guy will bring too much PR disaster, I just hope we have another DM lined up, missing out on Bissouma is fine by me considering the circumstances surrounding him.

Dante

Average bang
Spurs will have Hojbjerg, Bentacur and Bissouma. They aren’t messing about. Think they will cement their place ahead of us again next season. Conte is a top coach and Spurs have a very good squad. Not challenging for title good but I’m sure they will be challenge Chelsea for third.
That's a Conte midfield, if ever I saw one. Makes me glad we rejected him for EtH.

The fact we're after FdJ and/or Eriksen instead should make us all happy about the priorities the new manager clearly has.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

Why not? He's entering the last year of his contract with Brighton and there's also an aura of uncertainty around his future regarding the alleged court case.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Have to assume that we have an alternative, hopefully better, DM lined up given that we just let our only one (Matic) go on a free. Hopefully Declan Rice.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Have to assume that we have an alternative, hopefully better, DM lined up given that we just let our only one (Matic) go on a free. Hopefully Declan Rice.
I have suspected that Rice is the reason we haven’t moved for any DMs. We’ve always been about long term targets and I think we’d rather wait to pursue him next summer than buy a different player now.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I have suspected that Rice is the reason we haven’t moved for any DMs. We’ve always been about long term targets and I think we’d rather wait to pursue him next summer than buy a different player now.
Yeah maybe

Sparky Rhiwabon

Although, if that was the case, we might have been better off trying harder to keep Matic for another year

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
They've made the mistake once and predictably our midfield last season was a shambles. To go into another season still without a DM would be madness.

James35

That's a Conte midfield, if ever I saw one. Makes me glad we rejected him for EtH.

The fact we're after FdJ and/or Eriksen instead should make us all happy about the priorities the new manager clearly has.
I can’t see past Fred and McTominay unfortunately, maybe I’m in the minority but I think both are crap. Yeah FDJ looks very nice and Eriksen would be a bonus, but for me at least, FDJ and Bissouma looks way better than FDJ and Fred/McTominay.

Hopefully ETH proves to be a great addition that takes us on to better things and maybe he has another more defensive minded midfielder in his transfer plans that we don’t know about.

BlueHaze

I actually don't care about him going to tottenham Kamara is the one I'm a bit upset over, come on, we are in dire need of upgrading that area and we let a player like that go to fecking Villa. Now I'm worried we'll actually go into 2023 with McFred..

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Bunch of cry babies in this thread. ''Oh Spurs are going to be so much better'' ''Oh Spurs will challenge now that they have Bissouma'' ''We are so crap and slow in the market'' Oh please. It's Spurs, they have had Modric, Eriksen, Van Der Vaart, Kane, Son, Berbatov, Keane, Defoe, Dembele and others in their team and won absolutely nothing over the years. I have no reason to fear them at all. United will surprise a lot of fans next year, we finished close to this same Spurs side in one of our worst ever seasons and we now have a great manager coming in and will sign a few top players over the next few months, yet some of you are crying and shitting on the club.

Grow some and be excited, we've been burnt in the last 10 years but it won't last forever and ten Hag will help push us forward, not saying we will win it all but we will play way better football and be competitive at the highest level for years to come, that's for sure. The club look like they have structure and a plan for the first time in years, back it and stop moaning in every thread.

Kag

In a strictly football sense this is a great signing. Exactly the sort of player we could do with bringing in alongside a De Jong type.

Hughie77

I think he's a player on and off the pitch and that's the issues why I think UTD have not gone for him and Brighton were glad to get £30m or so. Has some baggage that Imo UTD don't need with what's already happened with players.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Bunch of cry babies in this thread. ''Oh Spurs are going to be so much better'' ''Oh Spurs will challenge now that they have Bissouma'' ''We are so crap and slow in the market'' Oh please. It's Spurs, they have had Modric, Eriksen, Van Der Vaart, Kane, Son, Berbatov, Keane, Defoe, Dembele and others in their team and won absolutely nothing over the years. I have no reason to fear them at all. United will surprise a lot of fans next year, we finished close to this same Spurs side in one of our worst ever seasons and we now have a great manager coming in and will sign a few top players over the next few months, yet some of you are crying and shitting on the club.

Grow some and be excited, we've been burnt in the last 10 years but it won't last forever and ten Hag will help push us forward, not saying we will win it all but we will play way better football and be competitive at the highest level for years to come, that's for sure. The club look like they have structure and a plan for the first time in years, back it and stop moaning in every thread.
You finished 13 points behind, with a minus 29 relative GD. That's not "close". Moreover, Conte only took over mid-season, but averaged 2 points per game. If projected over a full season that would have given Spurs an extra 5 points.

Nor will it be the "same Spurs side" this coming season - it will have a number of significant additions that, on paper at least, should improve both the squad and the first XI.

None of this means that Spurs will necessarily be better than United next season. But you are downplaying the challenge based on false assertions.

James35

You finished 13 points behind, with a minus 29 relative GD. That's not "close". Moreover, Conte only took over mid-season, but averaged 2 points per game. If projected over a full season that would have given Spurs an extra 5 points.

Nor will it be the "same Spurs side" this coming season - it will have a number of significant additions that, on paper at least, should improve both the squad and the first XI.

None of this means that Spurs will necessarily be better than United next season. But you are downplaying the challenge based on false assertions.
13 points, that’s close for us these days.

Seriously though you guys actually finished closer to us (12 points) when we got that “amazing” second place finish with no crowds.

Apparently you can only make ridiculous statements on here when being positive about United. Big no, no if you dare to criticise.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think the bolded is giving him way too much credit. Bissouma is hardly unearthing a gem as he has been supposedly on the move for the last couple of seasons. What this deal shows is that when a player has 12 months left on his deal the selling club has to take what it can get and if you are the interested buyer and nobody is bidding against you it is not that hard to complete.
Exactly.

Non of the big clubs have even looked at him, and him ending up at Spurs or Aston Villa was the predicted outcome in the media.

He's a combative box to box player that can be effective like he showed at Brighton. And at almost 26 years old he's further along with his development since Brighton bought him from Lille in France at the age of 21. But there's plenty of players with a similar profile who I feel can be bought for a similar fee and are around 5 years younger.

But what tends to happen is that many look down upon leagues like the French league, whilst playing up players like Bissouma. But forget that Bissouma was bought from Lille in France.

He needed the move because he's almost 26 and if non of the big clubs want you, then Spurs is a good destination. There's nothing special about Bissouma as a player. It's difficult to find another Frenkie de Jong but there's plenty of potential Bissoumas about.

AFC NimbleThumb

It’s hard to listen to the ramblings of a poster that only posts when Spurs are front running.

For as ‘better’ as Spurs were last season how many times did you beat the worst United side of a generation? United will improve simply from being coached competently & will be making a few signing themselves.

I look forward to another sustained absence from you next season.
In a strictly football sense this is a great signing. Exactly the sort of player we could do with bringing in alongside a De Jong type.
It’s the Pogba saga all over again. Imagine if we had bought Kante in the same window. . .

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Us not going for a 30m Bissouma is not more surprising then us not getting Kamara for free (Aston Villa player now). I havent seen him in action enough to really to be sure if I would like to see him here but i still think that we need at least one more CM if we sign De Jong, a CDM that is, to play with FDJ behind Bruno.

RedDevilQuebecois

Considering that we have no ball winner of that level at the moment while Matic was rightfully let go, it still feels like criminal that we don't go for such bargain in order to beef up our midfield to have that C(D)M type in our ranks. I don't mind having him even if that is just for squad depth come the first match of the campaign.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Exactly.

Non of the big clubs have even looked at him, and him ending up at Spurs or Aston Villa was the predicted outcome in the media.

He's a combative box to box player that can be effective like he showed at Brighton. And at almost 26 years old he's further along with his development since Brighton bought him from Lille in France at the age of 21. But there's plenty of players with a similar profile who I feel can be bought for a similar fee and are around 5 years younger.

But what tends to happen is that many look down upon leagues like the French league, whilst playing up players like Bissouma. But forget that Bissouma was bought from Lille in France.

He needed the move because he's almost 26 and if non of the big clubs want you, then Spurs is a good destination. There's nothing special about Bissouma as a player. It's difficult to find another Frenkie de Jong but there's plenty of potential Bissoumas about.
Like who? I don't keep up with the scene anymore, so it's a genuine question.

I don't think we need to worry about much of the above though - our first priority should be not having one of the worst midfields in the league. Bissouma is not the guy, for me, but as part of a rotation, would elevate us tremendously because one less dross player gets PT then. We need to bolster both bench and starting midfield, so this level of player is a complete no-brainer at the moment.

I feel the same about Eriksen vis-a-vis competition in that position. Good player, but ultimately not the guy, but bolsters us to a level we're a distance from at the moment, and great as part of a rotation because that's one less rubbish player getting PT.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Makes Fred look like a teddy bear. Spurs’ midfield next season will be terrifying for any prem side

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Like who? I don't keep up with the scene anymore, so it's a genuine question.

I don't think we need to worry about much of the above though - our first priority should be not having one of the worst midfields in the league. Bissouma is not the guy, for me, but as part of a rotation, would elevate us tremendously because one less dross player gets PT then. We need to bolster both bench and starting midfield, so this level of player is a complete no-brainer at the moment.

I feel the same about Eriksen vis-a-vis competition in that position. Good player, but ultimately not the guy, but bolsters us to a level we're a distance from at the moment, and great as part of a rotation because that's one less rubbish player getting PT.
I agree, Bissouma would've been a good option next to de Jong in a potential double pivot (4231). But like I said in my previous post there's plenty of options for us.

But if we do sign de Jong, then it does seem like we're gonna utilise a 4231 formation in possession. So the player we need is someone who fits the profile as far as being the more defensively discipline out of the two, which will allow de Jong the creative freedom to knit it all together. So if the aim is to play in the opponents half with and without the ball, then we need someone who is quick and tenacious going the other way, because getting caught on the break in 1v1 situations is going to be a reality. So having a player who will provide the required positional awareness, discipline and the ability to defend a large space against the opponent's transition in a 1v1 scenario is important imo.

Konrad Laimer and Amadou Haidara of RB Leipzig could both play the role next to de Jong in a double pivot. I was against us signing both players to play next to McFred in a double pivot, but next to de Jong the outlook changes for obvious reasons.

But I'd personally go for Man-u Kone from Gladbach. He's recently turned 21, and is still maturing as a player. But I think he has the potential to develop into a very good player in midfield next to de Jong. He's physically and athletically gifted and is improving on the ball. I think a player like Kone would also benefit greatly from a teacher like ten Hag.

We've also been linked to the player, so it remains to be seen if we make a move for him. Gladbach signed him last year after beating out Milan, Monaco and non other than Man Utd according to Fabrizio Romano. He eventually joined Gladbach for €9m, due to his club Toulouse having no option but to sell him for a knock down price with his contract running down.

Last edited:

Ranchero

Ten Hag was the choice of manager. He was mid season, what makes you think he was going to leave mid way to join us?

Fans as always thinking things are like FM or FIFA.
Other clubs pay the compensation to get managers in. We don't because we are looking more of a Mickey Mouse outfit than Disney.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If there's a reason to slag the club off I'm glad people always find a way, it's not beyond tedious at all.
Thing is, sometimes you also have to remember there’s a wide age demographic spread on here. I also get fed up at a lot of the excessive petulance on here, but then I’m in my thirties now and I remember some people are significantly younger and their emotional expression is probably different. I began using this forum when I was 16 myself, so technically just under half my life I’ve been on here. The things I would post at the beginning were often silly and embarrassing if I’m honest. You never know who you are debating with.

Status
Not open for further replies.