Zaragoza plot Pique swoop

Hellboy

Real Zaragoza are eager to take Manchester United defender Gerard Pique back to Spain, the player's agent has told skysports.com.

The promising 20-year-old excelled during a season-long loan at La Romareda last term but on his return to Old Trafford has found opportunities scarce.

Pique, who at the end of last season spoke of a desire to remain in his homeland for another campaign, has been involved in United's first team squad but has been unable to interrupt the impeccable partnership of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

Following last week's Carling Cup elimination at the hands of Coventry, Sir Alex Ferguson stated his intention to send a number of the club's younger players out on loan, in order for them to accrue first team football elsewhere.

And Pique is one such starlet who could be ready for a spell away from Old Trafford.

Talks planned
"In the next few months, I think that if things have not changed, then I will speak to Manchester United for a positive solution," his agent Arturo Canales told skysports.com.

"But United do not want the kid to leave. If Sir Alex Ferguson does not change his mind then I view the exit of Pique to Spain as being difficult."

Injury doubts over defensive duo Wes Brown and Vidic could see Pique promoted from the second string and it would seem highly unlikely Ferguson would sanction the Spaniard's departure.

SSN

RedRover

Another agent trying to make commission.
Or just a player realising he's got only a slim chance of regular first team football?

He's always going to struggle to take either Rio or Vidic's place. He might fancy heading back to Spain where he'll likely be playing week in week out.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's staying right here thank you.
Meh cant say I'd be too fused to lose him at least we'd be able to command a decent fee if we sold him now

Ok by selling him might leave us a little short in defence but I'm sure we can pick someone up either in January or in the Summer

Bape

Or just a player realising he's got only a slim chance of regular first team football?

He's always going to struggle to take either Rio or Vidic's place. He might fancy heading back to Spain where he'll likely be playing week in week out.
Unfortunately, I agree with this.

Unless he's okay with being benched, I don't see him staying for too long. It's another Rossi case, clearly he has talent but he'll simply not be given enough first team oppurtunity, and will most likely move on like Rossi so he can play football week in, week out.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
wouldn't mind for the right price, so we can buy another defender, maybe a right back to replace gary, or another up and coming CB for the future.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
:wenger:erm
We bought Pique for that. And now we would undertake the same process again? I hope he will play today if Vidic is out.
well i was thinking someone homegrown. i always knew someone foreign like pique would want to go back to his home country, which also has a strong league and he can start pretty much every match, if he has limited chances at a club away from home. i thought i read somewhere last year that he wanted to stay at zaragoza. he seemed happy and content with his time there.. i dont know i just feel like he's disinterested at the club

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
well i was thinking someone homegrown. i always knew someone foreign like pique would want to go back to his home country, which also has a strong league and he can start pretty much every match, if he has limited chances at a club away from home. i thought i read somewhere last year that he wanted to stay at zaragoza. he seemed happy and content with his time there.. i dont know i just feel like he's disinterested at the club
You know these players don´t grow on the trees. It´s about quality. Do you think that we would be buying blokes like Anderson or Nani if there was comparable talent available in England/GB/Ireland?

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
You know these players don´t grow on the trees. It´s about quality. Do you think that we would be buying blokes like Anderson or Nani if there was comparable talent available in England/GB/Ireland?
no not necessarily. i'm just saying there's a give and take with bringing in foreign players, not in terms of quality, but with attitude towards the club and one's role in the team. someone like evans, simpson, or campbell are less likely to want a move away like a spaniard from spain would, or an italian youngster from italy. unless they slot right into the 1st team, they'll obviously be tempted to want a move back to their country which also has a great league and can be a regular 1st teamer, and they're back home so they won't need to stress over cultural differences and language barriers.

RedRover

no not necessarily. i'm just saying there's a give and take with bringing in foreign players, not in terms of quality, but with attitude towards the club and one's role in the team. someone like evans, simpson, or campbell are less likely to want a move away like a spaniard from spain would, or an italian youngster from italy. unless they slot right into the 1st team, they'll obviously be tempted to want a move back to their country which also has a great league and can be a regular 1st teamer, and they're back home so they won't need to stress over cultural differences and language barriers.
I think its just as likely that a local lad will want to move on if he's not playing regularly. Its clearly all a question of ambition. Smoe players are happy with a bit part role a top side - while others covet more regular football, even if it means dropping down a level.

Pique is a good example. I [ersonally have reservations about wether he's the right type of defender to flourish in the PL but thats essentially irrelevant. He wont displace Vidis or Rio and its not as if either are likely to retire or leave in the near future. He's tasted first team football and he can probably go back and play regularly again. He probably thinks a football career is too short to sit on the bench.