Zidane Iqbal

Adamsk7

Think this is a good deal. Clearly hasn’t been good enough to get chances. Yes £1m up front is low but if the rumoured 40-50% sell on clause is true, if he goes on to be decent and gets a move even for £20m, we’d get more than we would have ever got in a transfer fee. Also, if we want him back, we will effectively only be paying half the price.

zaafi

Think this is a good deal. Clearly hasn’t been good enough to get chances. Yes £1m up front is low but if the rumoured 40-50% sell on clause is true, if he goes on to be decent and gets a move even for £20m, we’d get more than we would have ever got in a transfer fee. Also, if we want him back, we will effectively only be paying half the price.
I really don't trust Ten Hag with youth, even with Garnacho coming through. That's not really on him. Every manager in the world would play Garnacho regularly. He doesn't play Pellistri at all, despite being a starter for Uruguay's national team and he always offers something in the rare events he comes on as a sub.

AndySmith1990

I really don't trust Ten Hag with youth, even with Garnacho coming through. That's not really on him. Every manager in the world would play Garnacho regularly. He doesn't play Pellistri at all, despite being a starter for Uruguay's national team and he always offers something in the rare events he comes on as a sub.
Perhaps the majority of our young players aren't anywhere near as good as some people on this forum would like them to be?

Giving a young player game time isn't going to turn them all in to United quality players. If Ten Hag isn't promoting them to the first team it's for a good reason

Adamsk7

Oh really? I trust him quite a lot. Bought Garnacho through with a clear plan, Mainoo got a chance, Pellestri did get a chance (not many I grant you but we don’t see what happens in training), Amad loan worked out, Hannibal and Fernandez did well too. This is the most optimistic I’ve felt about youth at Utd in a long time. Think he’s an excellent judge of a player based on his team selections and signings so far.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Going to link to a couple of the threads from the last few seasons discussing our future squads. If you scroll through, you'll find that a common denominator among Caf posters is this idea that our unproven academy players will make the massive step up and transform into important first-teamers (often starters) within the next 2-5 years.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/squad-for-next-season.470021/
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/rebuilding-the-squad-with-youth-players.470259/
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/our...-why-we-havent-bought-anyone-else-yet.457709/
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/our-squad-depth-second-string-players-going-into-next-season.456296/
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/whi...ll-see-playing-for-us-in-3-years-time.453143/
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/where-do-you-see-our-squad-in-2-years.446563/

prateik

Their record transfer fee is around ~£6.5m.

If he does well, they might sell him for 3-5m..we might get a couple more.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Never given a chance. Ridiculous. Could of been worth millions in few years

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Even if you think he wasn’t good enough to make it here. 850k is a joke and terrible business from United

Adamsk7

Their record transfer fee is around ~£6.5m.

If he does well, they might sell him for 3-5m..we might get a couple more.
Ok, well perhaps our intention is to see if he does well and buy back. Even 7m we’d only have to pay around 4. Worth it for the game time. Also if he turns out pants then we’ve got a million quid for a player that can’t even play for Utrecht

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Even if you think he wasn’t good enough to make it here. 850k is a joke and terrible business from United
Saying that, Ten Hag was interested in Taylor Booth… hmmm

Abraxas

I'm sure the opinions about this sale price are more based upon what people have invented in their own mind regarding Iqbal's ability rather than his actual talent. He's going to Utrecht because nobody is particularly fussed by him. Playing a couple of passes in preseason doesn't mean he's an elite talent.

RedDevilQuebecois

Seriously, the way Murtough and Fletcher worked to get that low fee is purely criminal.

I know Iqbal doesn't look like he will cut it, but there has to be a far better way to improve our sales pitch. We got £11 million combined for James Garner and Zidane Iqbal... WTF?

Big Andy

Bloke
Liverpool sold some kid called Jerome Sinclair (Nope, I've never heard of him either) for £4m in 2016. He owns a fecking fried chicken shop now. IF we can't get more than £1m for a fecking international footballer, there is something badly wrong.

Morpheus 7

1m is an actual joke, what a circus. Murtough and Arnold need to feck off with the Glazers. If you want a worrying omen for the negotiating of transfers this summer, here it is.

PS18

Probably wasn't/isn't good enough for the first team, and I say that as someone who's enjoyed watching him play and thinks he has *something*. No qualms with letting him go permanently this summer. Real issue is that we extended his contract last summer and he then had pretty much a total waste of a season - no loan, no real first team minutes, didn't even get much volume of U21 minutes as he was so often in the weird no-mans land of being in the first team squad but never really being involved. And then the nonsense decision to not let him go to the U20 WC. That mismanagement is why we're only getting a paltry fee for him now.

edcunited1878

Short-term sell (pain), for long-term gain (sell-on clause).

Plus, looking out for the kid and going to a nice league, nice team, and environment to grow his game.

And people looking at the current fee, when the equity in a sell on fee is substantial. If he sells for anything of significance, United will get that.

zaafi

Perhaps the majority of our young players aren't anywhere near as good as some people on this forum would like them to be?

Giving a young player game time isn't going to turn them all in to United quality players. If Ten Hag isn't promoting them to the first team it's for a good reason
That is very likely true, but with some players you just have to give them the chance. Did you expect Rashford to explode the way he did? If I recall correctly, he wasn't even going to play but one of our other youth forwards, whose name I've forgotten, got injured so Rashford got the chance instead and took it.
What they show in training may not even be relevant to their match performances, but more to do with mentality and discipline rather than actual ability.

And they may not turn out to be United quality players by playing them, but it's just meaningless to put on McTominay when we're 4-0 up instead of Mainoo or Iqbal, or taking out Antony for Weghorst instead of Pellistri.

I also think that by playing these players regularly when we can, obviously, and not when we're losing, would increase their sell price instead of comical sums like €1m.

Honestly, I think most youth players that choose United are doing themselves a disfavour. Hannibal Mejbri, for example. He would be playing for Monaco years ago and would have developed much better playing men's football than constantly playing with youth players below his level. It has ruined his development and now he's not even a stand-out in Championship. It's obviously not too late, but very few youth players make it at United, but that also has to do with not being given chances/loaned out. What was the point of refusing Pellistri to go on loan and keep him here to play 100 minutes in a season?

Zed is not dead

Wow, people will jump at every opportunity they get to moan at the club…

Anyways, best of luck to Iqbal

MTF

Liverpool sold some kid called Jerome Sinclair (Nope, I've never heard of him either) for £4m in 2016. He owns a fecking fried chicken shop now. IF we can't get more than £1m for a fecking international footballer, there is something badly wrong.
There's internationals and there's internationals.

Gandalf

Seriously, the way Murtough and Fletcher worked to get that low fee is purely criminal.

I know Iqbal doesn't look like he will cut it, but there has to be a far better way to improve our sales pitch. We got £11 million combined for James Garner and Zidane Iqbal... WTF?
Garner fee is likely to rise. Once he got over his injuries he started every game during the run in and the Everton fans talk about him as one to build the team around, clearly Dyche is a fan too. I don't know the breakdown but after the initial 9M fee there was meant to be another 7M or so in achievable add ons such as appearances.

Nickelodeon

It’s a culmination of frustration piling up for most. And for good reason too. We haven’t signed anyone. We aren’t selling anyone and raising funds too.

But looking at this scenario, it’s likely that he’ll just be one of the many youth players who doesn’t cut it for us. If his contract got up and he left for free, there would be probably be less noise right now. The lack of any other interest is also an indicator. Ten Hag watched him for a year and I trust his judgment.

foolsgold

Never saw anything to suggest that he was going to be close to premier league standard never mind Manchester United standard.

Good luck to the kid in Holland, hope he can make a career for himself somewhere in the game. Don't mind the fee, it's realistic for a mid table club in a small league, people are too blinded by the mega fees at the very top of the game and have lost sight of reality.

GlasgowCeltic

if the sell on clause becomes significant in value he’ll probably have become a better player than Mctominay

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
There’s nothing to massively suggest he’s good enough but he’s still young and has shown some flashes without being given a real chance.

I do find him being sold for just £1m to be pretty bizarre to be honest.

SAFMUTD

Not really. We have not sold too many of late but for example Dylan Levitt had a successful loan at Dundee United and was then sold back to that club for 350K. Similar profile in that he was talented but not the best in his group and add in that he had more experience of mens football and that just tells you how hard it is to get big money for prospects. Most clubs not playing in the PL rarely spend much on transfers and anything over 1M is a big investment and not likely to be spent on an unproven talent but instead on a sure thing.
I see it more as a "good will" gesture from the club to the player. Dont block out his move, ask for a small fee and let him develop elsewhere as he won't make it here.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Wow, people will jump at every opportunity they get to moan at the club…

Anyways, best of luck to Iqbal
Hit the nail on the head.

Love how people bring up Liverpool's selling prowess as well, the same club that has let Origi, Firmino, Kieta, Chamberlain, Milner, Wijnaldum, Llalana, Clyne, Can and Balotelli go for free in recent years.

Woodzy

Angel Gomes has taught me to not get too caught up on these sorts of things. Even the most promising youngsters can struggle to make it, and most will not make it.