Zidane Iqbal

NotQuiteManc

I mean, if he is really that good and has high potential, he should do amazing in Holland next season, shouldn't he?

We shall see.

Sylar

Something is not really right. With £1m I guess the clause will be around 40-50%. Otherwise I have no idea. Although I don't rate him as high as some of you others do.
I think their highest transfer departure is like 7.5m euros. So even if that's matched we get 3m euros?

MyBloodIsRed

Seems like this was a ruthless call by ETH... Wasn't Iqbal involved in several bust ups in training?

humdinger

Fee seems a bit low but he wasn’t getting a chance here. Moving him on while still young with a sell-on clause is exactly what we should be doing. Good luck to the lad.

Roboc7

Almost like Murtough and and his new structure are no better than what we had before. Up to one million Euros for Iqbal is just baffling.

prateik

Seems like this was a ruthless call by ETH... Wasn't Iqbal involved in several bust ups in training?
Was he? All I remember seeing was that one clip of ETH not happy with his passing in training once.. didn't think much of it.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Really don't like this - something must have gone on behind close doors. Goodbye Budget-FDJ:(
This could mean Ten Hag have someone other in mind, more suited to league's demands, who'll enter the team's ranks very soon. Could be exciting youngster, too.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This could mean Ten Hag have someone other in mind, more suited to league's demands, who'll enter the team's ranks very soon. Could be exciting youngster, too.
Mainoo

Siorac

The highest fee Utrecht ever paid for a player is €4.8m. Their 3rd most expensive transfer cost €1.6m.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect more than €1m for a completely unproven reserve player.

BarstoolProphet

Was thinking more on the back of him not getting a sniff of first-team football at all despite looking promising in pre-season and after all injuries/suspensions we racked up during the season. He looked suited for EtH's football.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Was thinking more on the back of him not getting a sniff of first-team football at all despite looking promising in pre-season and after all injuries/suspensions we racked up during the season. He looked suited for EtH's football.
I'm aware of that, and we can play the guessing game of what's going on, but United sometimes do have that particular tendency to acquire surprising players, usually somewhere closer to August. With contracts offered to Rabiot and Mount, there could be perspective of the third one, to refresh the formation as our youngest midfielder is McTominay (26).

Iqbal could require one, maybe two years of first team football, before he can be called complete package anyway.

Chinchy98

Was he THAT good in pre-season? He was solid, but I can’t remember him being other worldly in all honesty.

Pretty sure this will go the Dion McGhee route, he will fade into obscurity IMO

bosskeano

he's better off going away and getting first team minutes as that won't happen with United anytime soon

just put in a buy back clause and see how he performs

Lentwood

First of all, the lads not good enough, so let's get that right straight away and stop this whining about him "not getting a chance' because the reality is, if he was anywhere close to good enough, he'd have played. The lack of understanding on here about the chasm between a few decent minutes in a pre-season game and playing CM in the Premier League is frightening.

Anyway, with that out the way - terrible deal. How are we selling players for £1m? Players were going for £1m in the 80s! ANY player, and I mean ANY player, who has been considered good enough to remain at United until the age of 20 MUST be worth at least £5m, if not £10m. Otherwise what on earth are they doing at the club for so long?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
First of all, the lads not good enough, so let's get that right straight away and stop this whining about him "not getting a chance' because the reality is, if he was anywhere close to good enough, he'd have played. The lack of understanding on here about the chasm between a few decent minutes in a pre-season game and playing CM in the Premier League is frightening.

Anyway, with that out the way - terrible deal. How are we selling players for £1m? Players were going for £1m in the 80s! ANY player, and I mean ANY player, who has been considered good enough to remain at United until the age of 20 MUST be worth at least £5m, if not £10m. Otherwise what on earth are they doing at the club for so long?
Yeah the fee is crazy low.

ArmaDino

I don't understand the uproar...

Say he actually lives up to the potential and get signed on by a bigger team from Portugal/Netherlands for 20/25 million. If we have a 50% sell on clause we get 10-12 million. If we have even a 25% sell on clause we get 5-6 million. Still not a bad deal.

Gandalf

I don't know that anyone really anticipated him making it in the first team here. I know he was tidy on tour last summer but that really does not translate to PL games and the consensus from those who watch academy games regularly was that we had several better prospects. I think the fee is actually pretty decent and better that plus whatever sell on clauses we have inserted than our normal pattern of endless loans before inevitably releasing him on a free.

sideshowbob

Don’t actually think this is the worst deal, people are saying the sell on clause is 40-50%.

Maybe we could’ve got £5m elsewhere now but if he proves how good he is we can maybe get half of a £20-30m fee in a few years (very hypothetical of course). The sell on clause basically gives us the ability to buy him back a lot cheaper than he could be worth as well.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
ETH clearly doesn’t rate him but that’s not a great up front free. We would only ever benefit in the future from this.

zbcrow15

You mean the kid that has played exactly one game for Manchester United's senior team as an 89 min substitute. Some of the people on this board are delusional. What reason does any team have to spend $10 million on a player with no first team experience.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's the correct move and one that looks decisive. Iqbal is a good player but he never really stood out in the youth teams. And ten Hag brought him along on the pre-season tour and people got a little carried away with how he performed in meaningless warm up games.

The move to Utrecht looks good on paper and I hope he does well. And if he does well then we have a large sell on clause (per Ornstein) to benefit from. Post Fergie we've kept young players around too long due to indecision among the managers and Ed Woodward. Make a decision on Hannibal as well and we need to either play him or sell him imo.

The likes of Mainoo and Gore are up next.

SAFMUTD

I know he's an unproven youngster but up to 1M? I mean its not even 1M secured. I would think 3-5M would be the bare minimun for youngsters that are not released.

Mmm-Qatarian

I really can't help but feel that nobody would be that bothered about this if the kid's name was Dave Smith and not Zidane Iqbal.

Sure, he might have looked quite solid in pre-season. Quite a lot of players do. Hell, I seem to remember that Tom Heaton played a blinder in one game, and Andreas Pereira was frequently excellent. By all accounts, Iqbal was a decent performer at academy level and that's about as far as it goes.

Hell, I'm not even trying to get on Iqbal's back here. The overwhelming majority of academy players at elite clubs don't go much beyond being quite decent at academy level, and it's quite possible that Iqbal's development will pick up rapidly in Holland with regular game time. Right now, though, he's not even the academy player who looks most likely to break through in his own position, and he's 20 years old. It's not that difficult to see why we might look to take what we can get and move him on.

Perhaps the most I'd say about this deal is that we probably should have let him go out on loan for a season, but even with that said I'm not convinced we'd have got a whole lot more money for him.

Gandalf

I know he's an unproven youngster but up to 1M? I mean its not even 1M secured. I would think 3-5M would be the bare minimun for youngsters that are not released.
Not really. We have not sold too many of late but for example Dylan Levitt had a successful loan at Dundee United and was then sold back to that club for 350K. Similar profile in that he was talented but not the best in his group and add in that he had more experience of mens football and that just tells you how hard it is to get big money for prospects. Most clubs not playing in the PL rarely spend much on transfers and anything over 1M is a big investment and not likely to be spent on an unproven talent but instead on a sure thing.