Zidane or Rodgers - If we hired a new manager immediately who would you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Might as well clog this forum up with another thread on managerial hires. It's fairly obvious most of us are desperate for ten Hag and many of those want a DoF to come in as well and a football-wise CEO (or at the very least for the structure that's been recently installed to be vested with full authority when it comes to sporting decisions).

But if people had to choose now, Rodgers or Zidane, with a new manager stepping in immediately, who would they rather?

I'd take Steve Bruce over Rodgers, so not really a tough choice IMV - just curious.

Kaos

Zidane isn't interested, its a whole lot of noise for nada.

I don't particularly want either of them, but out of the two I'd probably take Rodgers. I just feel he'd improve this squad quicker, knows the league very well and could get us playing decent football.

Needham

Zidane, just to demoralise him and spike a potentially very good France manager.

lsd

The Oracle
Can't wait for the Zidane, Rodgers, Ten Hag which do you prefer thread

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Who in their right mind could pick Brentan?!

Having FOUR threads in the United Forum with Rodgers name in the title is making me ill

I never wanted Moyes nor Jose but this would be the worst hire yet - don't want him anywhere near Old Trafford

BlueHaze

Hmmm... Someone who's won 3 CL in a row and 2 La Liga's or someone who won an FA cup and the scottish league. Tough one for me.

The Bloody-Nine

Who in their right mind could pick Brentan?!

Having FOUR threads in the United Forum with Rodgers name in the title is making me ill

I never wanted Moyes nor Jose but this would be the worst hire yet - don't want him anywhere near Old Trafford
It wouldn't be worse than hiring Ole in the first place. Though I get why you don't want him.

croadyman

Zidane definitely but unfortunately it's all coming from a well known garbage source in Castles

captaincantona

Hmmm... Someone who's won 3 CL in a row and 2 La Liga's or someone who won an FA cup and the scottish league. Tough one for me.
Engage with the argument a bit better than that...Zidane was managing a team with an incredible ceiling and home stadium and pedigree and experience and had the best player in the world playing for him. His achievements are still incredible but let’s not pretend that Brendan should have been able to get a similar return on Scott Brown and co. or a Leicester squad who are completely ordinary beyond the first 11.

I would not prefer either tbh. But they really are not comparable in terms of ability. Their careers have been too distinct from each other to say one is clearly better than the other.

Reactions: Theonas

Cloud7

For the immediate I would say Zidane because we probably win the CL with him.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Just any new manager please. We need to arrest the situation and get the new manager bounce in asap.

The Bloody-Nine

Nonsense

But more importantly as long as the next guy isn't called Brendan Rodgers I'll probably be ok with it
So if the club announced that the current manager of Molde is replacing Ole you'd be content with that?

If you're being honest, the only reason you were content was due to him being a former player. It certainly wasn't based on his ability or record.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Anyone but fookin brendan rodgers

The man's ceiling is limited, I'd rather take my chance on someone young and visionary. Can't see him piping Tuchel / Pep and definitely don't think he's something all United fans can get behind.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
So if the club announced that the current manager of Molde is replacing Ole you'd be content with that?

If you're being honest, the only reason you were content was due to him being a former player. It certainly wasn't based on his ability or record.
To be fair when he was brought in as caretaker he had 26 points from 30 in his first 10 games in charge. Safe to say most fans were more than content with that at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Well of course - that's blindingly obvious

I mean do you think Barcelona would go and get some random geezer from the Qatari league if he wasn't an explayer?!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If Zidane was interested he would be my top pick of anyone. Rodgers, meh, I could put up with him but I don't think he'd last long.

The Bloody-Nine

To be fair when he was brought in as caretaker he had 26 points from 30 in his first 10 games in charge. Safe to say most fans were more than content with that at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.
I wasn't. I could just about stomach him being appointed until the end of the season but making him permanent was absolutely moronic.

mu4c_20le

That's the problem. If he was called anything other than Ole you wouldn't have been.
It's probably the opposite tbh. If he had no connection to the club, his two or three month period would be seen as even more impressive. He wasn't hired straight from Molde.

RUCK4444

I’ve been complimentary of Brendan over the years but can’t help feeling it would be utterly underwhelming to end up with him.

We’ve seen he has a ceiling, I’m not saying with a top squad he wouldn’t have us competing but I’m not sure we would expect trophies and I believe fans would turn on him a lot quicker due to that and his past connections.

The Bloody-Nine

It's probably the opposite tbh. If he had no connection to the club, his two or three month period would be seen as even more impressive. He wasn't hired straight from Molde.
If he had no connection to the club he never would have been appointed in the first place.

mu4c_20le

If he had no connection to the club he never would have been appointed in the first place.
But part of the opposition to the appointment at the time was that the bounce was due to his status at the club. If he had no connection and still achieved what, 14 wins in 18? And almost securing 4th when it looked hopeless at the time he took over. I think he'd have a decent shot at being given the job.

choccy77

United are desperate to hold on till end of season.

Problem is, they will repeat the same mistakes again if they panic install another E choice manager.

What they should do is work on giving Ole and the coaching side ad much help as possible. That could be bring in some more experience in coaching setup.

Also, they need to sign a solid DM in January to give them a chance of finishing season strongly to qualify for Champs League.

In Summer new Top manager can come in and tweak where needed.

cfkane

Zidane. But I would be OK with Rogers. He can't do worse than OGS has. And in 2 years, if we have not advanced, then replace him. Modern football isn't long term. We keep looking for a new SAF or Busby, who will be in charge for 10+ years. That's never going to happen. And I don't really care that he coached Liverpool. Winning is what is important, not what team they played for/coached in the past.

justsomebloke

Zidane, obviously. Although if the problem is a lack of structure, Zidane isn't exactly known as a manager whose primary focus is on that aspect.

BlueHaze

Engage with the argument a bit better than that...Zidane was managing a team with an incredible ceiling and home stadium and pedigree and experience and had the best player in the world playing for him. His achievements are still incredible but let’s not pretend that Brendan should have been able to get a similar return on Scott Brown and co. or a Leicester squad who are completely ordinary beyond the first 11.

I would not prefer either tbh. But they really are not comparable in terms of ability. Their careers have been too distinct from each other to say one is clearly better than the other.
Not even an argument I'm just stating a simple fact in regards to what OP asked.

If you have a choice to hire either of these 2 for a club like ours would you rather hire the one who's proven himself capable of winning multiple trophies at the biggest stage or would you hire the other who has only managed one big club and is most notorious for bottling a free league title in the most remarkable fashion?

It's not even a debate. Rodgers at Man United would be a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.