Ziegler: Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Greece to launch joint bid for 2030 World Cup

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This makes no fecking sense, every single one of em besides Greece should be able to do it alone.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Are Saudi allowed to bid? If AFC countries can, surely Emperor Xi wants it

RedDevilQuebecois

I hate joint bids. It should be in Uruguay or in Spain. Would fancy the holiday.

Or bring it to Australia, we have the infrastructure, shit time zone for you guys though
To this day, I still believe that Australia should have been awarded with the 2022 FIFA World Cup if someone else than Blatter was at the helm.

Time zones are not an issue. Most of us have been used to watch events in the Far East like the 2000 Summer Olympics, the 2002 FIFA World Cup, the 2003 Rugby World Cup, the last 3 Olympics, and more whenever we want it.

Are Saudi allowed to bid? If AFC countries can, surely Emperor Xi wants it
Saudis will outbid the Chinese. Chinese economy heading in the wrong direction too
China have had their window of opportunity a while back. They never went for it because they know their national team is a laughing stock. They can't even get close to qualification for a World Cup no matter the year or the money spent; they are embarrassingly awful and are not going to improve any time soon.

In any case, feck them both.

Last edited:

Mshafeek

If they get it, they'll definitely build an awesome stadium on top of a mountain in the desert overlooking the red sea. Or maybe even one in the red sea itself. Would be great.

Redfrog

I hate joint bids. It should be in Uruguay or in Spain. Would fancy the holiday.

Or bring it to Australia, we have the infrastructure, shit time zone for you guys though
Football is not popular in Australia, so it’s just punishment for everyone else to watch it with the time zone.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Football is not popular in Australia, so it’s just punishment for everyone else to watch it with the time zone.
It’s more to do with how they have fecked up there football infrastructure in the last 20 years than it not being popular, I for one would rather them than a fecked up time table at least with them you’d have an idea what time the matches would be and it would be the first World Cup in that part of the world.

Abizzz

I'd be happy for Greece. Would be happy for the people of Egypt & Saudi too, but their regimes can go feck off, especially Saudi's.

To be honest this Qatar shit and the WC we missed out on this summer has made me sour on all experimental hosts. Let footballing nations host it. And if that means 95% of World Cups are in Europe and South America, so be it.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Egypt doing a WC alone?? Wot? They are more of a trainwreck than Greece.
Just said it based on them being relatively big and seemingly having a decent football scene, I admit that I'm rather oblivious to their economic state.

Cal?

CR7 fan
China have had their window of opportunity a while back. They never went for it because they know their national team is a laughing stock. They can't even get close to qualification for a World Cup no matter the year or the money spent; they are embarrassingly awful and are not going to improve any time soon.

In any case, feck them both.
Qatar got this upcoming WC before emperor Xi came into power. They porbably have a chance of qualifying when AFC gets 8 spots in 2026: Japan, Korea, Australia, Iran & Saudi are significantly better but the rest are as bad as each other.

Anyway, agree, feck them both.

About time the WC goes back to the heart of football, western Europe.

Cal?

CR7 fan
So in 2026, the WC is expanded to 48 teams and only 16 Uefa berths?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Was in Egypt recently and it really doesn’t feel like a suitable place for a World Cup. Saudi is just another Qatar. Greece would be alright but not amazing. If this happens is another Winter one. feck off FIFA.

AussieDevil

May I ask where you are from?

Because football is huge in Australia. Sure the A league isn’t as popular but that’s because there’s a lot of politics involved and barely 15 years old and a lot of people are members of their local semi-pro clubs (used to be apart of the first division before it was restructured), and these semi pro clubs have supporter groups that are huge.

Plus 70% of guys here follow some European football. Liverpool sold out a 100,000 seater MCG. United sold upwards of 200,000 tickets across their three games just recently. Barcelona sold 71,000 seats in May. Celtic are coming down in a few months and they have almost sold out their games here too.

The level of ignorance to suggest football isn’t popular in Australia is laughable.

Redfrog

May I ask where you are from?

Because football is huge in Australia. Sure the A league isn’t as popular but that’s because there’s a lot of politics involved and barely 15 years old and a lot of people are members of their local semi-pro clubs (used to be apart of the first division before it was restructured), and these semi pro clubs have supporter groups that are huge.

Plus 70% of guys here follow some European football. Liverpool sold out a 100,000 seater MCG. United sold upwards of 200,000 tickets across their three games just recently. Barcelona sold 71,000 seats in May. Celtic are coming down in a few months and they have almost sold out their games here too.

The level of ignorance to suggest football isn’t popular in Australia is laughable.
I am from France. It’s not as popular as Rugby. Is it ? Sorry from being ignorant. I went in NZ for a year and I assumed it was the same in Australia.
I don’t even know how football can be popular in Australia as every major competition is played at hours normal people can’t watch.
Yeah, in US too, football places are sold during the summer but it means jack all. I don’t consider football as popular in US when the competitive sports are Basket ball, american football, hockey, baseball.
As exemple, in France, people will watch a bit of rugby during the World Cup but it’s not as popular as football. We have other definitions of being popular I think.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Australia will probably get a world cup in 2040s or something.

They are actually hosting the women's world cup next summer (New Zealand getting some games) so that could be trial run. Not sure what venues are being used but that's exactly the sort of place where you could establish football legacy if FIFA weren't constantly lying through their teeth on those statements.

Contrary to popular belief Blatter never wanted World cup in Qatar, think he'd described it as the doomsday scenario in an inteview before the bid so Platini was the main architect of that considering PSG were changing ownership at that time.

CarbonStoolBites

International football should be abolished, maybe keep the olympics footy but dump all the rest in the dumpster. International football been crap for years, this is how no marks like Depay are 2nd only to RVP as Holland’s top ever scorers, international football is an absolute joke and a farce.

Saudi Arabia for crying out loud…

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
International football should be abolished, maybe keep the olympics footy but dump all the rest in the dumpster. International football been crap for years, this is how no marks like Depay are 2nd only to RVP as Holland’s top ever scorers, international football is an absolute joke and a farce.

Saudi Arabia for crying out loud…
Request denied.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yeah. If you want to watch only European nations play football, go watch the Euros.
I do watch the Euros, I also want to see a decent level of football in the WC, is that so wrong?

RoyH1

I do watch the Euros, I also want to see a decent level of football in the WC, is that so wrong?
More than 16 European teams doesn’t guarantee a decent level of football. With 48 teams in the competition, you’re going to have to have rotten apples somewhere

Red Star One

Yeah. If you want to watch only European nations play football, go watch the Euros.
Yeah, same could be said that if you want to watch Saudi Arabia vs Uzbekistan you can watch the Asia cup. No one said they want to see only European nations, just that the World Cup would be perhaps more exciting if it consisted of more competitive teams and less cannon fodder, but to each their own - I guess some enjoy super one sided games that once in a hundred provide with some underdog drama. It’s a World Cup and it has to include the whole world obviously, but as with the Champions league - there’s a reason England and Spain have 4 slots and champions of, say, Latvia have a bit more complicated route. With 48 teams I’d rather see just more play offs for the final slots.

Cal?

CR7 fan
More than 16 European teams doesn’t guarantee a decent level of football. With 48 teams in the competition, you’re going to have to have rotten apples somewhere
Pretty sure the 17th-24th best European teams are better than the 6th-8th AFC sides or 5th/6th Concacaf team or 0FC team etc.

Why are we not allowed to use 0FC with an O?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yeah, same could be said that if you want to watch Saudi Arabia vs Uzbekistan you can watch the Asia cup. No one said they want to see only European nations, just that the World Cup would be perhaps more exciting if it consisted of more competitive teams and less cannon fodder, but to each their own - I guess some enjoy super one sided games that once in a hundred provide with some underdog drama. It’s a World Cup and it has to include the whole world obviously, but as with the Champions league - there’s a reason England and Spain have 4 slots and champions of, say, Latvia have a bit more complicated route. With 48 teams I’d rather see just more play offs for the final slots.
Personally I think every single playoff spot should be Uefa against teams around the world, so if the European teams are better, there should be lots of European teams, but if the rest of the world sides are good enough, there could be even fewer European sides.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I think Spain and Portugal are the favourites and I hope we win it.
There is already a group of candidate stadiums but many of them will have to be renovated to reach the 40000 capacity: Anoeta, Las Palmas, Málaga, Murcia, Gijón...
In Coruña there is already a project to pull down a part of the stadium (remodelled not long ago) and make a promenade that ends at the beach.

el3mel

Start watching the tournament from the Quarterfinal then ?

What a ridiculously, entitled point of view. World Cup is a chance for a lot of nations to play on the biggest stage and get experience playing with the best. It's a great chance for many of these smaller nations fans to see their teams playing with the best. They don't care about "your" entertainment. If the game is boring for you, you can simply turn off the TV, but let these fans enjoy watching their teams play on such level.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Start watching the tournament from the Quarterfinal then ?

What a ridiculously, entitled point of view. World Cup is a chance for a lot of nations to play on the biggest stage and get experience playing with the best. It's a great chance for many of these smaller nations fans to see their teams playing with the best. They don't care about "your" entertainment. If the game is boring for you, you can simply turn off the TV, but let these fans enjoy watching their teams play on such level.
Why should their right to see their team in the WC be placed above my right to see better teams?

Qualifying for the WC has to be based on merit on some way, otherwise why not just randomly draw 48 teams out of a hat?
Personally I think every single playoff spot should be Uefa against teams around the world, so if the European teams are better, there should be lots of European teams, but if the rest of the world sides are good enough, there could be even fewer European sides.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That is what he is saying, he has a history of comments like this.

Personally, there are only a few European teams that provide that level of excitement you speak of. Beyond the top 10 teams from Europe, it's a matter of diminishing returns. The WC is a world event... There's greater utility from including Tuvalu (if they qualify from Oceania) than maybe Slovenia, even if the former get pumped 7-0... So what? They made it. It's a celebration for their fans. The semifinals will be Brazil/Argentina/France/Germany, those who want quality football can watch those games. Or stick to the Euros, where apparently every game is exciting and quality and there are no pumpings.

el3mel

Why should their right to see their team in the WC be placed above my right to see better teams?

Qualifying for the WC has to be based on merit on some way, otherwise why not just randomly draw 48 teams out of a hat?
Because you're not forced to watch ? Let them enjoy seeing their teams play at such stage and just turn off TV for these games and only open it when the big guns play each other. Easy and simple. To consider your entertainment so important that such nations shouldn't even get a chance to play at such level of football and deprive their fans from watching their teams play the big guns on world level is, yeah, pretty ridiculous entitled point of view.

PeteManic

Portugal and Spain will get it. That is the way FIFA is leaning. Insider knowledge.

Wing Attack Plan R

Saudi Arabia should get it on their own, so it could be a shitshow of epic proportions. Have it in summer, too, just to compound the misery. It will be football deathmatches. The heat or the religious police will wipe out most of the players and fans. The country that will lift the cup will be the one with 9 players still alive at the final whistle.

Giggsyking

because it is a fecking WC.

AussieDevil

I am from France. It’s not as popular as Rugby. Is it ? Sorry from being ignorant. I went in NZ for a year and I assumed it was the same in Australia.
I don’t even know how football can be popular in Australia as every major competition is played at hours normal people can’t watch.
Yeah, in US too, football places are sold during the summer but it means jack all. I don’t consider football as popular in US when the competitive sports are Basket ball, american football, hockey, baseball.
As exemple, in France, people will watch a bit of rugby during the World Cup but it’s not as popular as football. We have other definitions of being popular I think.
That’s alright mate.

In NZ, rugby is by far and away the most popular sport, soccer is hardly on the radar there even though they have produced some decent players.

But it’s id say football is the most followed sport in Australia. However, the majority of football followers don’t support any of the local teams, and it’s what gives the illusion of the country not being majorly into football.

The majority of guys in Australia follow a European team and competition. It also has a lot to do with Australia having such huge Italian, Croatian, English and Greek communities who have migrated to Australia, and thus the young lads grow up supporting the continental clubs their fathers supported as opposed to an A League team.

But in general, it’s huge over here, 49% of people aged 6-15 who play a sport are playing football.

Even our womens team is widely supported here.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

You’ve the Champions league for that.

Tyrion

Another one of these could be the one that makes UEFA break away from Fifa, after all the South American national teams are in the nations league soon enough, the seeds of a breakaway are already there.
Part of me thinks FIFA want more winter world cups to screw with UEFA.