Ziegler: Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Greece to launch joint bid for 2030 World Cup

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
yeah totally cool world cup. Only like a 10 percent chance of a fan getting jailed for no reason or getting a body part cut off. Just make sure to not drink or have the audacity to be a gay. Or a woman. No idea how the feck saudi arabia constantly gets ignored for being just an absolute shit show of a human rights country.
I'm talking politics aside. There are many events there nowadays and laws for visitors are different. In fact, the new city NEOM is supposed to have different laws than the rest of the country.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How come Turkey aren't involved?

They keep bidding for euros yet get overlooked, CL final has been played a few times in Istanbul and while they might not be the most stable nation Saudi's are fecking in this bid.

Turkey-Greece would be interesting alternative to Spain-Portugal.

Hopefully it goes to South America anyway as it should.

RC89

yeah totally cool world cup. Only like a 10 percent chance of a fan getting jailed for no reason or getting a body part cut off. Just make sure to not drink or have the audacity to be a gay. Or a woman. No idea how the feck saudi arabia constantly gets ignored for being just an absolute shit show of a human rights country.
Oh yeah, Saudi Arabia just have a bunch of people with limbs cut off. Rather than getting your news from the tabloids, maybe try and go there, if you can't manage that, atleast do some bloody research.

With regards to drink, well cannabis isn't permitted here yet is in other countries. Is Britain so backwards too? Particularly when alcohol has been shown to be much more harmful? What a bigot you are.

NLunited

SA and Egypt can feck off, horrible countries. Fifa is corrupt or Qatar would have never got WC. Terrible place as well.

Oranges038

Can we NOT pick another destination where you can be locked In actual prison for drinking in public?

Or where limb loss via the state is a genuine consideration?

I feel like these should be on a checklist or something.
FIFA's checklist consists of one item.

Amount: (CHF)___,000,000,000,000

NLunited

They keep bidding for euros yet get overlooked, CL final has been played a few times in Istanbul and while they might not be the most stable nation Saudi's are fecking in this bid.

Turkey and Greece are like Holland and Germany - old foes. Not happening.

South America, ok.

AussieDevil

I hate joint bids. It should be in Uruguay or in Spain. Would fancy the holiday.

Or bring it to Australia, we have the infrastructure, shit time zone for you guys though

Tyrion

Can we NOT pick another destination where you can be locked In actual prison for drinking in public?

Or where limb loss via the state is a genuine consideration?

I feel like these should be on a checklist or something.
Agreed. I get the "different kinds of countries should get to host a world cup" argument but I don't think "countries women try to flee from" should be on the list.

FerociousCorgis

It amazes me how some people can overlook things such as basic human rights for people in some backass attempt to defend some sort of perceived acceptable cultural differences.

JeffFromHK

Saudi will promise air conditioned stadiums in their bid? No winter World Cup again please.

Red Star One

But what about the West and everything we've done ?
Are we really getting into discussion whether sins of the West of the past mean we should keep a blind eye to the sins of other countries in present times? I’ve already faced that argument with people almost claiming as if there was a cap, certain amount of blood shed accepted and available for every state in the world, so that it’s somehow “fair”. Most of these people would highlight what the West have done centuries ago, pretend there was no cruelty in regions like Saudi Arabia back then and defend political murders in 2022 as a part of culture. Bullshit if you ask me, it’s as anti-logical as claiming that China should get a free pass to pollute the world only because they industrialized later than the West. Sheer lunacy.

Red Star One

Oh yeah, Saudi Arabia just have a bunch of people with limbs cut off. Rather than getting your news from the tabloids, maybe try and go there, if you can't manage that, atleast do some bloody research.

With regards to drink, well cannabis isn't permitted here yet is in other countries. Is Britain so backwards too? Particularly when alcohol has been shown to be much more harmful? What a bigot you are.
What a train wreck of a post. You just know someone is clutching at straws when they completely ignore suffering of women, gay people and political opponents (and by suffering I mean slightly more than whining on Twitter) and compare UK’s cannabis law to one of the most oppressive sharia laws around and to in fact one of the most cruel dictatorships in the world. I think you have no idea what it means to be persecuted in Saudi Arabia and how brave people speaking against their fecking blood covered royal family are.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I would use that when people go against countries like Qatar but Saudi has done much more evil shite than it's neighbors, like what's happening in Yemen and they also play a role in the spread of extremist Wahabisim in other countries in the region.

Would never defend Saudi.

led_scholes

Turkey and Greece are like Holland and Germany - old foes. Not happening.

South America, ok.
The issue is not just between Greece and Turkey. Egypt, Greece and Saudi Arabia all have awful relationships with Turkey. Football is about uniting the world but unfortunately even the world cup is seen as a proxy war.

FerociousCorgis

We "have" done. If you want to talk about the past every single place on earth has done shit in the past that wouldn't be accepted today. But I'm done with this thread and trying to figure out why people accept barbaric behaviors from shit places in the world. Hello ignore thread button

RC89

What a train wreck of a post. You just know someone is clutching at straws when they completely ignore suffering of women, gay people and political opponents (and by suffering I mean slightly more than whining on Twitter) and compare UK’s cannabis law to one of the most oppressive sharia laws around and to in fact one of the most cruel dictatorships in the world. I think you have no idea what it means to be persecuted in Saudi Arabia and how brave people speaking against their fecking blood covered royal family are.
I'm not saying the Saudi government/royal family are perfect. Far from it. But some of the comments are so far removed from reality. I picked out two, one on limbs being cut off, and the other on alcohol.

Saudi Arabia is made up of almost 1/3 expatriates. Not a single one has had a limb cut off. And yet the poster suggests you have a 10% chance of it happening to you.

And so what if they ban alcohol? We ban marijuana. Stick to the points I offered a rebuttal for rather than a scatter gun approach, trying to conflate my argument.

RoyH1

About time Uruguay/Argentina got another one in my book. That said, Spain Portugal would be the best in terms of stadiums and traveling distances.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Is there anything that ties Greece to Saudi Arabia, culturally, geographically or otherwise?

Also depressing to feel that this is the worst and therefore more likely option.

RoyH1

Is there anything that ties Greece to Saudi Arabia, culturally, geographically or otherwise?

Also depressing to feel that this is the worst and therefore more likely option.
It's automatically the bid with the most money. It will get so many of the votes from the African and Asian confederations and Greece might split the UEFA vote.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

In terms of geopolitics in the region currently, Turkey sits on one side and the other 3 countries very much on the other.

A world cup in Saudi would be beyond crap imo and many of their laws barbaric but it does make me laugh that people seem to think a significant portion of Saudis are just walking around with one hand.

Also find it strange that so many see the world cup as a 'gift' to be bestowed upon by western countries.

Beyond anything else though, having a world cup across 3 different continents in countries that share no land borders is awful for fans.

PSV

Why no bid for a Scandinavian or Nordic world cup?
Can only speak for Norway, but we were strongly considering a bid for an Olympics a few years back (think it was for '22), but after an overwhelming amount of people were against it, our politicians voted against it.

There were a few wackos down in Oslo that wanted to host it, even wanted to exclude the rest of us from even having a say, but they are generally out of touch with the rest of the population so no surprise there.

If I remember correctly the IOC demands were thousands upon thousands of pages long. As long as FIFA appear as extravagant and delusional as IOC these types of events are better held in the Middle East.

Georg25

Saudi Arabia will make a big push to host a major event in 2030, they have already made a bid to host the World Expo 2030. I think they will definitely get one event, either the world cup or the Expo, maybe even both since they are crazy and rich enough to do it. Egypt is too broke to host the World Cup so they will relay on Saudi Arabia to fund the whole bid.
It will be very interesting to see how much both countries will change by 2030, since both are going through challenging times at the moment.

RoyH1

Why no bid for a Scandinavian or Nordic world cup?
Simply not enough stadiums with the required capacity. And no way Scandinavian's are going to spend that kind of money for a one off event.
Friends Arena is the biggest stadium in Scandinavia and it only seats 50,000.

Giggsyking

We "have" done. If you want to talk about the past every single place on earth has done shit in the past that wouldn't be accepted today. But I'm done with this thread and trying to figure out why people accept barbaric behaviors from shit places in the world. Hello ignore thread button
1. He is being sarcastic.
2. UK and USA just invaded a country causing the death of more than half a million person. Hardly "the past". USA, UK and KSA share the same values "Invading, bombing and killing people in other countries".