Zinedine Zidane - 3 time CL winning manager without a job

RoyH1

The Saudi regime could easily quadruple that offer.
I don't see his wife moving to Newcastle and his family is very important for him. I suspect he'd also be wary of linking his reputation to that ownership. I have no doubt that he'd prefer our club to NUFC regardless of the money.
That said, I still think that the French national team, Juventus or PSG have the clearest shot at him in 2022.

Strelok

If we offer to give him 20 a year over the next 3 years and tell him it's a limited time offer he'd here in a jiffy.
I don't think he's the money type. He chose to resign at Madrid both times if my memory serves me right. He must be already very wealthy from his playing days.

I can see why he doesn't fancy comming here. He's won it all at the club level, both as a player and a manager. What's left is as a manager with his national team. Only Beckenbauer has won everything as a player and a manager so far in history I think.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't think he's the money type. He chose to resign at Madrid both times if my memory serves me right. He must be already very wealthy from his playing days.

I can see why he doesn't fancy comming here. He's won it all at the club level, both as a player and a manager. What's left is as a manager with his national team. Only Beckenbauer has won everything as a player and a manager so far in history I think.
No one has done it if you want to be picky as Franz didn't win the euros as the national manager

Strelok

No one has done it if you want to be picky as Franz didn't win the euros as the national manager
Oh I was wrong then. So if he manages to win both the Euro and WC with France he'd be the first in history. That sounds pretty awesome I must say. You add the 3 consecutive CL to that ... just wow.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Oh I was wrong then. So if he manages to win both the Euro and WC with France he'd be the first in history. That sounds pretty awesome I must say. You add the 3 consecutive CL to that ... just wow.
Indeed and add the ballon dor to top it off it will be the most impressive football achievement ever

Though he didn't win copa del ray as a manager so i don't know if you can hold not winning a domestic cup against him ?

Strelok

Indeed and add the ballon dor to top it off it will be the most impressive football achievement ever

Though he didn't win copa del ray as a manager so i don't know if you can hold not winning a domestic cup against him ?
That'd be too picky tbf :lol:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Definitely not. Setting aside quality, Asensio was out for most of the 19/20 season (played 300 min) and Hazard was out for a lot of the 20/21 season (played 896 min). And considering quality, Hazard has not been very good (especially since the injuries became reocurring), neither has Asensio, and Rodrygo and Vinicius Jr. were "promising" but had minimal output.
They're still better players than their United counterparts is the point.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Rashford last season had more G+A than all of Vini Rodrygo Asensio Jovic Hazard and Mariano put together
I didn't say they're better scorers than him. I said better players. Rashford is still a natural striker after all. It's no surprise he's going to have better stats than the wingers/attacking mids I listed.

A fair point well made.

And it is an incorrect one.
And I disagree. IMO either the Dortmund ghost of Jadon Sancho is doing a lot of heavy lifting here or it's the classic overrating of United's academy produced players e.g. the hilarious comparisons between Mbappe and Rashford/Greenwood.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's astounding that your team are so poor right now considering the quality of these wide players on top of Ronaldo, Bruno, Pogba and Varane...
Yeah because we have great manager leading them.

Individual quality and team success are different. You need great team and great manager to win trophies. Having good wide players won't hide all the cracks.

The team that was so average under Lampard won CL and did very well in PL under Tuchel. Hilarious how coaches role is played down.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Yeah because we have great manager leading them.

Individual quality and team success are different. You need great team and great manager to win trophies. Having good wide players won't hide all the cracks.

The team that was so average under Lampard won CL and did very well in PL under Tuchel. Hilarious how coaches role is played down.
I'm not downplaying the managers role. Ole is a really poor manager and doesn't belong at a club like Man United. I just think that also applies to way more in the playing squad than a few fans would like to admit.

Like I said, Sancho is brilliant and his form is, to me, down to Ole and his 'system' but guys like Rashford have flattered to deceive for years now, IMO.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm not downplaying the managers role. Ole is a really poor manager and doesn't belong at a club like Man United. I just think that also applies to way more in the playing squad than a few fans would like to admit.

Like I said, Sancho is brilliant and his form is, to me, down to Ole and his 'system' but guys like Rashford have flattered to deceive for years now, IMO.
Yeah scoring 20+ goals and bunch of assists for 2 seasons running is deceiving but the player who barely even start for Madrid are better players. Great logic.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
So no to Conte, no to Zidane? What would you do then, stick with OGS after the worst defeat in our Premier League history?
Well, i rate 1-6 to City as equally pathetic, and that was under the greatest manager of all time. Yes, no to Conte and no to Zidane. Conte will undo all the good work OGS has done since he came, and that without bringing us anything that resembles long term success. Zidane is a complete gamble, and you know it. You really want to gamble? We need to chill out, and take our time.

Rockets Redglare

Well, i rate 1-6 to City as equally pathetic, and that was under the greatest manager of all time. Yes, no to Conte and no to Zidane. Conte will undo all the good work OGS has done since he came, and that without bringing us anything that resembles long term success. Zidane is a complete gamble, and you know it. You really want to gamble? We need to chill out, and take our time.
All the good work that Solskjaer has done? Like what?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
So for the sake of keeping this thread alive and well I will bump and leave this here

He has done an interview saying marrselile has place in his heart and that he always dreamed of playing for them

The timing of it is very specific and basically is him saying he would not manage psg so that's scratched of the list

What remains is the French job which he does seem to like quite a bit but I'm not sure France would be so keen to sack Deschamps even if the don't win it in Qatar

The other club option would be juventus but they have just brought back allegri himself an accomplished coach so unless their season is relegation form I'll doubt angeli would go for the nuclear option

So yeah him at united isn't that far fetched if the worst comes to pass and ole gets the boot

TheLiverBird

All the good work that Solskjaer has done? Like what?
I was literally thinking the same

Coming in initially as interim, Ole did great, steadied the ship

He’s done nothing since, and people are happy to wait with him until mr right comes along? Every manager is a punt, there is no such thing as mr right until you appoint someone and find out

Obviously not just anyone, they need the right credentials etc but it’s still a punt.

You’ve got a 36 year old Ronaldo who is still a game changer but not getting any younger, it would be ashame to waste his remaining years and not making the most of having him whilst he’s still effective by being under the management of Ole. Not that a 36 year old Ronaldo is the beating heart of United but it’s just an example of wasting Uniteds opportunities whilst keeping Ole and not getting a proven effective manager in.

Zidane is proven, it does confuse me as to why he’s not been snapped up, maybe he has had plenty of offers, we don’t know, some see that as a concern, understandable, but sticking with Ole and just waiting the year out, not understandable….great for rival fans like myself, it’s great seeing United going nowhere under Ole, there’s no fear against you guys with him

Blood Mage

I still have concerns with Zidane as a tactician but I would take him over Brendan Rodgers that's for sure. He'd instantly command the respect of the players and nobody would be happier to see him than Ronaldo.

Highfather_24

If we can make him agree to come as a caretaker till the summer, that would be amazing. Throw all the money at him, 20-30M, just get it done.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I kind of wanted Enrique or Ten Hag -

But the Premier League has Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Conte as managers.

Come on Zidane? Surely that's enticing as an competition?

I'm just wondering if it's just too much of a competition so he is maybe intelligent enough to avoid it.

Hopefully not and just tries it.

The Premier League post 2023 is being talked about an era where Pep is leaving to take a break - Klopp is probably leaving in that era too, Conte would have left his spurs job by then - Joining a PL club then seems a bit dull.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
For what it's worth el Español has reported that he turned down the Newcastle job and instead is waiting for offers from us or France nt

Take it with a grain of salt

Infra-red

For what it's worth el Español has reported that he turned down the Newcastle job and instead is waiting for offers from us or France nt

Take it with a grain of salt
France will surely stick with Deschamps until the World Cup.

PSG would make sense for Zidane for a lot of obvious reasons, including the fact that he has an existing relationship with Qatar after helping them with their WC bid.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

PSG would make sense for Zidane for a lot of obvious reasons, including the fact that he has an existing relationship with Qatar after helping them with their WC bid.
Read my post above he is a diehard olympique de marsile(wrong spelling i know) fan and they have a very extreme adversity with each other

Its very unlikely that he ever considers the psg job especially with what he came out saying last week

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

The more I think about it and the more PSG seems unlikely, it would be like taking the Barcelona job.

the_cliff

I know Allegri is under some pressure in Turin. Do you think he could go to Juve, he's been linked with them before ? Not sure if any Juve fans could shed some light on this. I also don't see him at PSG he doesn't seem like the type and also because of his apparent allegiances to Marseilles. He's a guy who's just done everything giant as a player and as a manager, don't see him at an oil club like Pep, He's a United/Juve/Madrid/Bayern/France type of guy.

Davie Moyes

The more I think about it and the more PSG seems unlikely, it would be like taking the Barcelona job.
Would you take him as the Utd manager? Too many posters seem to think he does not do much on the tactical side. Not sure how much to believe that...

Gandalf

He is big mates with Frank Lebouef from their playing days and Frank has openly stated in his role as a pundit on ESPN that Zidane to PSG would never happen due to his allegiance to Marseille. I doubt he comes here either considering his agent openly stated that Zidane had no interest or desire to manage any PL club.