Zinedine Zidane - 3 time CL winning manager without a job

norm87cro

He was appointed to claim respect in a dressing room full of star players and that's what he did. On the road to that CL success Real as always got a few dodgy decisions their way along the blatant robbery of Bayern Munich. The CL should not be the only cornerstone for future manager appointments.

the_cliff

I don't agree at all with the whole "Zidane just had a great squad" thing (nobody at the time was actually predicting RM would win lots of CLs with this team). But it's not really true that these managers had the same squad. Mourinho built his own team, and then once he left there was a quick transition out of it. Lots of the 4-CL winning players had limited involvement previously (Modric, Varane, Casemiro), were bought the season of the 10th CL, (Isco, Carvajal, Bale), or afterwards (Kroos, Navas).

What gets lost here sometimes is that Zidane has a good league record. He won 2 out of 4 league titles in which he managed for the whole season. He was on the race until the last game in one of the 2 he didn't win. This is the best league record any Real Madrid manager has had in like 20 years.
What I meant was the core of the squad, Ramos, Marcelo, Modric, Ronaldo and Benzema were all regulars during Jose's 12-13 season, with Varane and Casemiro as part of the squad. Bale was signed the next season under Carlo as you said. I probably don't watch Madrid as much as you but from what I've seen those core players were the most important in winning the 3 UCLs (not saying others didn't contribute).

Ramos your captain and best defender, Marcelo and Ronaldo no need to mention the impact they had, Modric was your best midfielder and Karim was the perfect striker for Ronaldo/Bale to work. Then Varane and Casemiro albeit too young for Mourinho's time played massive parts as well. So for example in the final against Juve from your starting 11only Navas (2014), Kroos (2014), Carvajal (2013) and Isco (2013) weren't part of Mourinho's squad.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
He was appointed to claim respect in a dressing room full of star players and that's what he did. On the road to that CL success Real as always got a few dodgy decisions their way along the blatant robbery of Bayern Munich. The CL should not be the only cornerstone for future manager appointments.
He won the league twice, both with and without Ronaldo. He has the best league record of any RM manager in the last two decades.

He actually got pretty much the same amount of points in the two full seasons of both of his stints, once with Ronaldo and once without him, once with great attacking record once with great defensive record.

The guy has some idea of what he's doing.

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
What I meant was the core of the squad, Ramos, Marcelo, Modric, Ronaldo and Benzema were all regulars during Jose's 12-13 season, with Varane and Casemiro as part of the squad. Bale was signed the next season under Carlo as you said. I probably don't watch Madrid as much as you but from what I've seen those core players were the most important in winning the 3 UCLs (not saying others didn't contribute).

Ramos your captain and best defender, Marcelo and Ronaldo no need to mention the impact they had, Modric was your best midfielder and Karim was the perfect striker for Ronaldo/Bale to work. Then Varane and Casemiro albeit too young for Mourinho's time played massive parts as well. So for example in the final against Juve from your starting 11only Navas (2014), Kroos (2014), Carvajal (2013) and Isco (2013) weren't part of Mourinho's squad.
Casemiro was signed in January 2013 and played and trained almost exclusively with the B team, so can't really say he was in the squad. That would mean 5 out of 11 players in the Juve final, which is almost half. But I'm just being pedantic at this point.

Foxbatt

Certainly he is a much better manager than most around. But the criteria for getting the Manager's job is not how good you are. It depends on how much you toe the official line. If winning is a criteria for a big club then Manchester United would have a much better manager right now.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What can he do with the likes of Maguire, Shaw and McTominay?

No proper manager wants to go into a desperate firefighting mission with those tools at your disposal.

Idxomer

What can he do with the likes of Maguire, Shaw and McTominay?

No proper manager wants to go into a desperate firefighting mission with those tools at your disposal.
McTominay won't play under him, Shaw will improve and Maguire will be just a squad player.

Sylar

What gets lost here sometimes is that Zidane has a good league record. He won 2 out of 4 league titles in which he managed for the whole season. He was on the race until the last game in one of the 2 he didn't win. This is the best league record any Real Madrid manager has had in like 20 years.
Gets lost and almost neglected most places. With CL you can get some really lucky draws that take you to the semi final.

At times I've been guilty of downplaying what he did, but what he did was amazing

He took over from Benitez right? Remember Madrid looking shambles under Rafa
And then Madrid looking bad after Zidane left again
He took them to a semi final last year too, losing to the eventual champions

His record and achievements as a manager are too fantastic to just put on players and luck

SER19

If anybody thinks our chances of winning a CL and finishing higher in the league won't improve under Zidane they're deluded.

My guess is he'd line up

De gea

Trippier
Varane
Lindelof
Shaw

Matic
Vdb
Fernandes

Sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford

Bearded One

Many are saying Zidane doesn’t want to come here but even if that is true, have we persuaded him enough to get him to come here?

the_cliff

If anybody thinks our chances of winning a CL and finishing higher in the league won't improve under Zidane they're deluded.

My guess is he'd line up

De gea

Trippier
Varane
Lindelof
Shaw

Matic
Vdb
Fernandes

Sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford
Think he'd more likely drop Bruno. There's no way Zidane would start Bruno over Pogba or even Fred. I've watched at least 100 Madrid games under Zidane Bruno is not a Zidane player, and definitely not part of his midfield 3.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Many are saying Zidane doesn’t want to come here but even if that is true, have we persuaded him enough to get him to come here?
From latest news, we're looking after one. That could mean Ed Woodward didn't googled 'Zinedine Zidane' just yet.

sp_107

My guess is he'd line up

De gea

Trippier
Varane
Lindelof
Shaw

Matic
Vdb
Fernandes

Sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford

Agreed, above are almost on par with Kroos/Casmero/Modric + Prime Bale Ronaldo and Benzema so Zidane must win CL with this team

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ralf as a interim and then Hag in the summer sounds like a smart transition.
Zidane, by most reports, doesn't have interest managing in England.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Not sure if serious.
Hes obviously being sarcastic but to seriously expect nothing short of a challenge from this squad is a testament to how far our club has fallen

Our current squad is 1 of the most expensive ever assembled in history so its reasonable to at least expect something under a competent manager

And also remember this very last year Chelsea won with a squad far less expensive and experienced while we have several of ucl's most staple in our squad

tomaldinho1

If you go down that route, Pep was the luckiest manager alive with Barca in the CL.
  1. Ovrebo match fixing to beat Chelsea
  2. Ref sending off RVP when he couldn’t hear the whistle when Arsenal we’re going through.

norm87cro

If you go down that route, Pep was the luckiest manager alive with Barca in the CL.
  1. Ovrebo match fixing to beat Chelsea
  2. Ref sending off RVP when he couldn’t hear the whistle when Arsenal we’re going through.
yeah I totally agree. SAF, Ancelotti and Jose are self made managers

SER19

Agreed, above are almost on par with Kroos/Casmero/Modric + Prime Bale Ronaldo and Benzema so Zidane must win CL with this team
Weird extrapolation of what i actually said

sp_107

Weird extrapolation of what i actually said
I was being sarcastic but I agree with your team selection, that is best available team with an addition of Trippier and manager like Zidane could get better out of players and playing a suitable system with proper coaching. Looks like Ole and his coaching team are running out of ideas.

I agree that we are not being a cohesive unit but still we got the results in the past but this year individual errors from defenders like Harry and Shaw are at high levels hence the whole system is being heavily exposed

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Someone better be on the phone to him now
Woody - "hey Zizou, ma main man. Ma dawg. Listen. You. Me. Manchester. Boom. What do you say?"

Zidane - "........je ne parle pas anglais, idiot sans menton."

Cal?

CR7 fan
Not really, nothing compared to Pep and the Scandal of Stamford Bridge

Cal?

CR7 fan
Woody - "hey Zizou, ma main man. Ma dawg. Listen. You. Me. Manchester. Boom. What do you say?"

Zidane - "........je ne parle pas anglais, idiot sans menton."
Just get Ronaldo to call him

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I want Zidane here too but I just don't see it happening.

Why oh why would he know that Ronaldo didn't work without Benzema at Real Madrid in a striker partnership - he even tried him by himself as a single striker to not much avail, and then come here and play him along in a 4231/433 with Ronaldo as a lone striker upfront and wingers like Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho ? He tried it at Real Madrid, it didn't work.

I don't think Zidane is interested in managing Manchester United anyway, whether Ronaldo is here or not is not going to change his interest because he has achieved the maximum level with the GOAT already. Coming and managing United and him just doesn't seem like something that might WOW Zidane for me.

The only reason it would is - honestly because the Premier League currently has Klopp, Pep, Tuchel and Conte as manager and not a single league has that level of management going on. Maybe just maybe he values that competition and wants to be the best of the best by taking on the best whilst they are all here.

Cal?

CR7 fan
It was the same in my opinion.
Not really, whilst VAR could have ruled out a Real goal, it could also have had Bayern down to 10 men much earlier in the game.

Anyway, not the place to argue about that.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
What is the dodgy refereeing in the Bayern game? Ronaldo's offside goal? Real Madrid scored two more goals after that, the game ended like 4-2.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Joke red card and 2 clear offside goals.
I mean, Vidal should have been off inside the first 10 minutes of the game

But yeah, you're not wrong either