Zinedine Zidane - 3 time CL winning manager without a job

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Unsure.
Real Madrid were often outplayed under him.
What's his playing style?
The most I've seen of his team's were with Prime Ronaldo, Bale, Modric, Casemiro, Kroos, Ramos, Marcelo etc and those fellas could win without a manager.
Is he good enough?
Shush don't talk sense, the man won 3 CLs you know?:rolleyes:

SirAnderson

If you lot think his Madrid team looked like a well coached unit then maybe use your eyes. The man got extremely lucky with the squad he had and even in the run to those finals, got some staggering stupid ref decisions to help him out. Let's see how he does in his next job and then let's see who's laughing.
In the meantime I'll just keep laughing at the insane post you made, cheers.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Also 2 league titles, one of them without Ronaldo, and came within 2 points of winning it again last season again in a season from hell when it came to injuries.
Clueless about coaching, obviously.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If you lot think his Madrid team looked like a well coached unit then maybe use your eyes. The man got extremely lucky with the squad he had and even in the run to those finals, got some staggering stupid ref decisions to help him out. Let's see how he does in his next job and then let's see who's laughing.
Yeah, but you’ve not answered my question. He won 3 CL’s in a row (extreme luck as per you), left, they struggled and his replacement(s) were sacked, he then came back and then they won the league.

How did he benefit from the extreme luck a second time, but both Lopetegui and Solari didn’t? Almost like he had a bit about him tactically?
——
Seriously though, how can any United fan think it’s just players who can carry a team to trophies in spite of a manager — when our fecking team is the prime example of how it can’t?

AaronRedDevil

Felt like that 3CL winning team was on autopilot. Everything just came together. Any non defensive manager might have just done it

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
How did his second stint at Madrid go? It seems he failed, which I m not surprised. I can't recollect what happened. I alway had the opinion that he was carried by having a sensstional team and Ronaldo in his prime. Zidane is an excellent motivator and man manager, but I don't believe he is an excellent coach. After Ole, I would love to see an excellent attacking coach with a good philosophy at United like Pochettino, potters, Flick, who may be attainable. However, with our world class squad, Zidane seems almost perfect for it.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
How did his second stint at Madrid go? It seems he failed, which I m not surprised. I can't recollect what happened. I alway had the opinion that he was carried by having a sensstional team and Ronaldo in his prime. Zidane is an excellent motivator and man manager, buy I don't believe he is an excellent coach. After Ole, I would love to see an excellent attacking coach with a good philosophy at United like Pochettino, potters, Flick, who may be attainable. However, with our world class squad, Zidane seems almost perfect for it.
Wrong, but then again, you admit you didnt pay attention, so....

Remember the geese

I see him as one of the very few realistic candidates for the United job. However, isn't his style quite similar to Ole's in the sense that it is heavily reliant on individual genius, as opposed to the 'greater than the sum of their parts' approach which is all the rage these days?

InfiniteBoredom

How did his second stint at Madrid go? It seems he failed, which I m not surprised. I can't recollect what happened. I alway had the opinion that he was carried by having a sensstional team and Ronaldo in his prime. Zidane is an excellent motivator and man manager, but I don't believe he is an excellent coach. After Ole, I would love to see an excellent attacking coach with a good philosophy at United like Pochettino, potters, Flick, who may be attainable. However, with our world class squad, Zidane seems almost perfect for it.
1 league title, missed another one by 2 pts, a QF and a SF in the CL, all with fairly low net spend + terrible luck with a permacrocked Hazard.

I would love that kind of ‘failure’.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I am admittedly a bit skeptical of how he'd perform outside Real, but fraud? You don't fluke your way to three CLs in a row.
Tournaments are always likelier to be fluked than leagues. He has won more CLs than leagues or domestic cups with Real, which is testament to that fact.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm coming round to this idea. He'd be the obvious choice right now if Ole has to go.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Tournaments are always likelier to be fluked than leagues. He has won more CLs than leagues or domestic cups with Real, which is testament to that fact.
Three in a row though? Nobody has even managed to win it twice in a row in the modern era. Not SAF, not Pep, not Mourinho. I don't think Zidane gets enough credit for how incredible that achievement is.

TwoSheds

I wish we could have fluked a trophy in the last 3 years. Like Emery fluked his 4th UEFA cup against us last year.

izec

He doesnt need to be a master coach or tactician, neither is Klopp. Key is if he knows who is one and brings him in. And i believe he knows his limitations and is excellent at delegating work. That is where Ole is failing massively currently, in not being able of getting a coach in for whatever reason, as he is obviously out of his depth an the current coaches as well. Big issue in not addressing this for 3 years now.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Zinedine Zidane is a top coach - maybe top 5 best in the world alongside Pep, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte. I just dont see him managing United. He doesn't speak English and i believe has no interest in managing in England. He is waiting for the French national team job.

FatTails

Beats what we have. We have a good squad so I don’t mind some of that Zidane “luck” to get them to win some trophies.

We might be able to even beat Villa, West Ham, and Villarreal, who knows.

Dazzmondo

Any manager whose top asset isn't his tactics is a hard no from me. Ole is a fantastic man manager, that is not what needs improvement. Zidane doesn't even consider himself to be a good strategic coach and has said so in the past. Conte would make the most sense of who seems to be available.

TwoSheds

:lol: only for the hipsters
Guy with vast experience of managing big players (including Ronaldo) and lots of trophies in the bag as well. Not only that, he's not a hipster manager at all, doesn't bollocks on about patterns of play or philosophy, pragmatic and gets by with the players available to him, but also plays to attack. Very United style coach, and Glazer style profile. I'm not saying he's a guaranteed success but I've less and less hope Ole will get there, much as I love him.

Seems an obvious post-Ole punt to me and as far from the hipster choice as you could get.

NK86

Pep couldn't win 3 CLs with THAT Barca team. What absolute nonsense to put it all down to luck, all while Ole has been shitting himself at every opportunity provided.
I would rather have a great manager who is also lucky.
Since they are in short supply, I will take an average but lucky manager over a shitty and unlucky one all day.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

With VAR in place, Real would have reached the final neither in 2017 nor 2018.
They would have walked in that tie against Bayern with no extra time in 2017. Ghost penalty+offside goal kept you in the game as well as Vidal escaping a red card for 50 minutes too long.

dinostar77

I thought it was well known that zidane is waiting for the french national team job after the WC in Qatar.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is bizarrely defensive posting considering the other poster was simply asking.

What did he win on his return to RL? And in how many seasons? Not goading, genuine questions.
Won the league and the supercup in 19/20, nothing last season, though we went 2 points from the league and a CL semifinal despite a genuine injury apocalypse

More to the point: 15/16 Rafa Benitez: 18 games, 37 points. Zidane, 20 games, 53 points, finished 2nd 1 point off first. 16/17 93 points, won. 19/20 87 points, won. 20/21 84 points, 2 points off 1st

Hell, even if you take 17/18 into question, it was only the first half of the season really where we did badly in the league. Largely because Benzema and Cristiano had mysteriously forgot how to score goals in the league

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Didn't Real Madrid won their CL titles under Zidane by largely turning games around after tactical changes? I will never understand that argument, it's frankly dumb, some are way too obsessed with football philosophers.

Hughie77

I'm coming round to this idea. He'd be the obvious choice right now if Ole has to go.
Agree, if there is a manager who may bring some class back and avoid some negative consequences it could be Zidane , I'm sure he's come out and said he does not want manage in England.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Didn't Real Madrid won their CL titles under Zidane by largely turning games around after tactical changes? I will never understand that argument, it's frankly dumb, some are way too obsessed with football philosophers.
That happened quite a few times, yes. Few are as good in-game