Zinedine Zidane - 3 time CL winning manager without a job

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The wide availability of stats apps seems to have had a regressive effect on the understanding of the game rather then expanding it. Things like squad building, tactically adapting to the qualities of the players rather then forcing ideas not fit to the squad (Arteta), having plan Bs, not to mention man management are things that barely get a mention in most articles in the sea of pressing stats and all the "patterns of play" bs.
There must be a name for it, but it's basically a cognitive bias that comes from discounting the things you can't observe (or in some cases, quantify).
As a football fan you can really only watch the football game, so it's convenient to think all understanding can come just from easily quantifiable in-game aspects.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Agree with all of that. If you are not a tiki-taka or high press side you are rubbish tactically and a poor coach by todays media understanding of football. The standard of football understanding is just very poor imo with the new wave of journos that consider themselves as "analysts", have tactics shows, etc.

The wide availability of stats apps seems to have had a regressive effect on the understanding of the game rather then expanding it. Things like squad building, tactically adapting to the qualities of the players rather then forcing ideas not fit to the squad (Arteta), having plan Bs, not to mention man management are things that barely get a mention in most articles in the sea of pressing stats and all the "patterns of play" bs.
It's why top managers will use both approaches and why Dave from Daventry works as the regional sales manager for Ginster Pastys

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Agree with all of that. If you are not a tiki-taka or high press side you are rubbish tactically and a poor coach by todays media understanding of football. The standard of football understanding is just very poor imo with the new wave of journos that consider themselves as "analysts", have tactics shows, etc.

This is nonsense. Otherwise Simeone, Allegro, Conte, Mancini, et al wouldn't have the credit they do in today's game.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

amen. When I see pundits or journos make claims like Zidane "has no pattern of play" I simply just face palm. It betrays their actually lack of understanding of the game

This is nonsense. Otherwise Simeone, Allegro, Conte, Mancini, et al wouldn't have the credit they do in today's game.
Literally all of them employ the press. even though some like simeone are on the extreme end of the defensive scale. The likes of Zizou and Ancelotti, even Mourinho who don't are not respected as much. Even less if they are the type who prefer their players to express themselves in a harmonious structure and think through situations as they arise. Rather than repeat automated moves over and over again like they are fresh from military boot camp

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s weird. For some reason I see Zidane as only ever managing Madrid. Maybe Juventus, and France too. For some reason I have this image of him as a managerial romantic.

Giggsy13

When he came back to win the league again after the two failed managers and no Ronaldo to help, that should prove he's a top manager
This 100%. Look at Pep who’s had world class players at every job but hasn’t won in Europe for 10 years. Zidane is criminally underrated by some and he will get a big job again. Like some on here I think the France national job will be one he’s looking at next or PSG even with his Marseille ties.

Jaxa

I still see him ending up at Juve when Allegri is binned which might be very soon by the looks of it,

Juve over the last 3-4 years have been in a slump and need a boost, I can see Zidane doing just that tbh and bringing a bit of spark back to them.

Kaos

I still see him ending up at Juve when Allegri is binned which might be very soon by the looks of it,

Juve over the last 3-4 years have been in a slump and need a boost, I can see Zidane doing just that tbh and bringing a bit of spark back to them.
Juve have a pretty substantial rebuild job ahead of them. Not sure Zidane would fancy that. Especially not with their finite resources.

PSG makes too much sense not to eventually happen tbh.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Literally all of them employ the press. even though some like simeone are on the extreme end of the defensive scale. The likes of Zizou and Ancelotti, even Mourinho who don't are not respected as much. Even less if they are the type who prefer their players to express themselves in a harmonious structure and think through situations as they arise. Rather than repeat automated moves over and over again like they are fresh from military boot camp
I wouldn't classify any of them as using high presses on a regular basis.

Results matter first and foremost but think of the most dominant teams in history (including SAF's)... They didn't vibe and inshallah their way there. There was a defined structure (obviously with room for improvisation) that provided those teams with a very high floor to start from.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Juve have a pretty substantial rebuild job ahead of them. Not sure Zidane would fancy that. Especially not with their finite resources.

PSG makes too much sense not to eventually happen tbh.
What manager on earth would want to bother with those 3 egos is my question. OK Mbappe will likely be quite professional but Neymar and Messi are lost causes.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Thought he was coach of Qatar for the WC?

I wouldn't classify any of them as using high presses on a regular basis.

Results matter first and foremost but think of the most dominant teams in history (including SAF's)... They didn't vibe and inshallah their way there. There was a defined structure (obviously with room for improvisation) that provided those teams with a very high floor to start from.
You are basically agreeing with me. SAF if he coached now he'd be just as disrespected. He had a fixed structure and style built to enable his players to build key partnerships, express and think for themselves. It wasn't regimented duplication of fixed patterns.

The manager who has done that to extreme success of late is Zizou. Yet you will here some dare to claim say a Pochetino is a superior tactician

Right now that style is treated by mainstream punditry and press as "vibe and Inshallah". And fans are buying into it hook line and sinker

jackal&hyde

amen. When I see pundits or journos make claims like Zidane "has no pattern of play" I simply just face palm. It betrays their actually lack of understanding of the game
My only issue with this is that when people listen to this inept journos it creates bad discussion environments. Like we've literally just made great progress from 6th to 3ed to 2ed and yet, we are coached by amateurs because... because ignore real world football results and actual progression, and just look at some useless press stat that we should associate with "good managers".

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Is there no chance that IF Solskjaer were to leave, he would be a favourite for the job here? The chance to manage a huge club with Pogba, Varane, Ronaldo and others would surely be attractive to him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is there anyone else of the level remotely available?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I'd love him, but no chance of getting him sadly.
Another one who can’t coach for shit, no thanks. This fraud wouldn’t have won a single thing without the insane squad he had. Knowing us though, he’ll be Ole’s replacement. God forbid us go for a coach with an actual style like Rose or Ten Hag.

mu4c_20le

Another one who can’t coach for shit, no thanks. This fraud wouldn’t have won a single thing without the insane squad he had. Knowing us though, he’ll be Ole’s replacement. God forbid us go for a coach with an actual style like Rose or Ten Hag.
:lol:

the_cliff

So basically an Ole that actually wins 3 CLs in a row ? :lol: :lol:

SirAnderson

Fecking hell :lol: A manager who wins 3 CL's in a row can't coach for shit. No I heard it all. This place, don't know I even bothered, all the crazies come out when we loss like this :rolleyes:

BerryBerryShrew

Our side on paper is a match for anyone in the league. We don't need someone to overachieve with this side, we just need someone who will get them playing to their realistic potential. Zidane did that with Real, why can't he do that here?

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I am admittedly a bit skeptical of how he'd perform outside Real, but fraud? You don't fluke your way to three CLs in a row.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Just an absurd opinion.

DWelbz19

Surely this was disproven when he came back after bowing out with a CL treble and then won the league the following full season he returned?

Silverman

What's his playing style?
The most I've seen of his team's were with Prime Ronaldo, Bale, Modric, Casemiro, Kroos, Ramos, Marcelo etc and those fellas could win without a manager.
Is he good enough?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
So basically an Ole that actually wins 3 CLs in a row ? :lol: :lol:
Fecking hell :lol: A manager who wins 3 CL's in a row can't coach for shit. No I heard it all. This place, don't know I even bothered, all the crazies come out when we loss like this :rolleyes:
Our side on paper is a match for anyone in the league. We don't need someone to overachieve with this side, we just need someone who will get them playing to their realistic potential. Zidane did that with Real, why can't he do that here?
I am admittedly a bit skeptical of how he'd perform outside Real, but fraud? You don't fluke your way to three CLs in a row.
Just an absurd opinion.
Surely this was disproven when he came back after bowing out with a CL treble and then won the league the following full season he returned?
If you lot think his Madrid team looked like a well coached unit then maybe use your eyes. The man got extremely lucky with the squad he had and even in the run to those finals, got some staggering stupid ref decisions to help him out. Let's see how he does in his next job and then let's see who's laughing.