Zlatan to return to International football

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm a little sad he won't be receiving standing ovations from opposition fans. Absolute legend. I think this means he wants to retire after Euros? Would be something if he guided Sweden to 2nd place in a group with Spain, Poland and Slovakia at just 3 months shy of his 40th birthday.

Last edited:

Mickson

I'm a little sad he won't be receiving standing ovations from opposition fans. Absolute legend. I think this means he wants to retire after Euros? Would be something if he guided Sweden to 2nd place in a group with Spain, Poland and Slovakia at just 3 months shy of his 40th birthday.
The Swedes won't be happy with just that. After the quarter-final in the last World Cup, many see an opportunity to go very, very far this time. Probably has the best squad since 04 or 06 when Sweden was really good. And with Zlatan, they won't be worse than two years ago. VNL, Zlatan, Quaison, Isak, and Kulusevski are five key players who are better now or weren't in the squad then. Regarding Zlatan, this has been coming.

The Swedes won't be happy with just that. After the quarter-final in the last World Cup, many see an opportunity to go very, very far this time. Probably has the best squad since 04 or 06 when Sweden was really good. And with Zlatan, they won't be worse than two years ago. VNL, Zlatan, Quaison, Isak, and Kulusevski are five key players who are better now or weren't in the squad then. Regarding Zlatan, this has been coming.
Swedes would be delighted with 2nd in the group. Another quarter final would be a huge success.

No-one expects Sweden to go very, very far at the Euros.

Mickson

Swedes would be delighted with 2nd in the group. Another quarter final would be a huge success.

No-one expects Sweden to go very, very far at the Euros.
Many do. I'm not sure I do, though. They have a good coach and will be hard to beat, so anything can happen. Anyway, my initial point was that it's not like they would go "yaaj, we beat Slovakia". If Sweden went out in the group, with Zlatan in the team as well, people won't be happy. But maybe that is for most teams, but the expectations are higher in Sweden now than before, definitely.

Many do. I'm not sure I do, though. They have a good coach and will be hard to beat, so anything can happen. Anyway, my initial point was that it's not like they would go "yaaj, we beat Slovakia". If Sweden went out in the group, with Zlatan in the team as well, people won't be happy. But maybe that is for most teams, but the expectations are higher in Sweden now than before, definitely.
The expectations are to get out of the group, nothing more. Finishing 2nd behind Spain does that.

Zlatan returning will add to the expectation but make no mistake, another quarter final would be seen as a huge achievement.

Last edited:

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Will he be still good at international level? People with his status should only do what they're good at, and let good international players do international football.

Ahhh fair enough, although I didn't come did I ;)

When pretty much every country in Europe got utterly fecked the debate in there got pointless. I should have stopped after Arruda pointed out the Portuguese stats being sooo much better in May/June despite similar populations, even adding a nice "I told you so". That turned out well didn't it? and that was the level of the debate that ultimately got me to feck it right off. It did me a massive favour, it's much more fun back just debating footy stuff with the likes of GoldTrafford, many more giggles.

It the most perfect gif though so sorry for doubting you, I saw it first in the "what comes to mind when you think of Sweden" thread,

Mickson

The expectations are to get out of the group, nothing more. Finishing 2nd behind Spain does that.

Zlatan returning will add to the expectation but make no mistake, another quarter final would be seen as a huge achievement.
Pointless discussion but when Aftonbladet made a poll, a vast majority thought Sweden could go to the semis. I know that because Swedes are always very "The English people think they are the best in the world" and then they do the same. People I have talked with also think semifinal is realistic, which isn't incredibly weird considering 1) better squad and 2) made it to the quarter-final at the World Cup. If they will be disappointed with quarter final depends on the opposition in the quarter final. If they met Poland or Slovakia, they would not be happy if they got beat. Many accepted going out to England the last time though.

Pointless discussion but when Aftonbladet made a poll, a vast majority thought Sweden could go to the semis. I know that because Swedes are always very "The English people think they are the best in the world" and then they do the same. People I have talked with also think semifinal is realistic, which isn't incredibly weird considering 1) better squad and 2) made it to the quarter-final at the World Cup.
Let's not forget they have won just 2 of their last 8.

7 Nations League games, plus one friendly where Denmark were miles better than them in a 2-0 loss.

No-one I know thinks a semi is realistic.

Weren’t Sweden better after he retired?
United were better after Keane retired in fairness, and we won the treble after Cantona retired, it doesn't mean much. Sweden have lost 6 of their last 7 competitive games and were played off the park by Denmark in a 2-0 friendly loss in November.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Is he coming out of retirement to help them because they are down injured players? Kudos to him if so.

The coach should tell Zlatan to go feck himself if this is "Thanks for doing all the dirty work of qualifying for the Euros, I'll play in the finals and you can drop someone who actually got us there".

Is he coming out of retirement to help them because they are down injured players? Kudos to him if so.

The coach should tell Zlatan to go feck himself if this is "Thanks for doing all the dirty work of qualifying for the Euros, I'll play in the finals and you can drop someone who actually got us there".
I never agree with that, it’s as stupid as Chelsea qualifying for the Champions League and then buying Sancho, but saying feck off to him playing in the CL because CHO did the hard work.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I never agree with that, it’s as stupid as Chelsea qualifying for the Champions League and then buying Sancho, but saying feck off to him playing in the CL because CHO did the hard work.
If Sancho was a Chelsea player but refused to play in the qualifying rounds then that would be a reasonable comparison.

If Sancho was a Chelsea player but refused to play in the qualifying rounds then that would be a reasonable comparison.
He hasn’t refused to play though, he made himself available since he was in the US.
It’s his form since rejoining Milan in Europe that has turned the managers head and made him want to have a conversation now.
Which is fair enough, I wouldn’t pick someone playing in the US either.

A-man

Zlatan has a habit of ignoring the other striker on the pitch. Ask Cavani.
It’s it entirely true. Zlatan had around 50 assists for PSG in the league and CL. (Cavani had about half of that). Could be wrong, but think he had most assists of all players in the CL one year.

He had a tendency to make some players better, and some players worse. If you watch Milan you can see how the team changes to the better when he enters the pitch.

A-man

He quit a National team when he joined United. I always had the feeling that it was part of the deal with United.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

feck that, I'm sure he's a great lad, a grafter and all, but Berg isn't going to get you anywhere in a Euros knockout game. Even if Zlatan's only on the bench for most of the games he'll be a huge morale boost and influence for the rest of the squad and for sure will still have enough quality to contribute when he's on the pitch.

I read this as him coming out of retirement. My bad.

So they've just not been picking him? I bet the manager has been getting absolute pelters from fans!
Fans have been happy with the team, good last World Cup, good qualifying for Euros. Shit nations league and 2020 though.

Zlatan has wanted the conversation for some time, no doubt due to being rather insignificant in the US. He was trying to get back in before the WC if you remember.

This isn’t even him being confirmed for Euros, The manager isn’t gonna cut off his nose to spite his face, he’ll look at him in a few friendlies and see if he thinks he has something to offer the squad.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pretty mad but his level remains insane.

Who was last 40 year old outfield player to play for a major national team? That will happen if he hangs around the games early next season.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Who was last 40 year old outfield player to play for a major national team? That will happen if he hangs around the games early next season.
Matthäus?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Matthäus?
39 when he played at euro 2000. Don't think he played after unless he got a farewell match.

Guess some of the Portugal guys might be close over next year or two with Pepe and sure Ronaldo has ambition to play until he's 40 for club and country.

A-man

Think Sweden will have an interesting team this summer with Ibrahimovic, Isak and Kulusevski at the top.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

At a major tournament, can only think of Roger Milla, back in 1994. Rafa Marquez was 39 at the last World Cup for Mexico.

Would be his 5th Euros, which would be a record.

Last edited:

Nickelodeon

I find the whole 'God is back' thing quite sickening. Personally, don't expect him (or Sweden) to make much of an impact at the Euros.

Since leaving PSG, any teams he's played for have hardly performed to a high level, even though he himself has done reasonably well.

Raredaredevil

I am not sure if this will turn out well for the legend but from what I've seen of Sweden, they seem to be a much more cohesive team without him. Everyone expects Spain to win the group so it's all down to the second spot and I'm also not so sure if they can get it. Poland is a very good team and they have Lewandowski, currently the best striker in the world imo. So it's going to be Zlatan vs Lewandowski.