Scholes

Rob Bowman

From the mail online. Brilliant!!

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport...glad-says-shy-superstar-Scholes.html?ITO=1490

A part of me will be glad when it is all over, says shy superstar Scholes
By Ian Ladyman Last updated at 9:45 PM on 23rd July 2008

Comments (0) Add to My Stories
The time is 3.30am in Moscow in May and Paul Scholes sits, alone, on a bus. A Champions League winner's medal hangs from his neck; proof that, at last, a life's work is complete.

Fifty yards away, Manchester United team-mates talk to the media. The match is won and it's time to revel in the glory. Scholes just wants to go home. 'Yeah, I was first on the bus,' reflected Scholes this week.

'But I always am. What's the point in hanging around? I was pleased with what we'd done but didn't want to spend all night talking about it. I was at the party later. But not for long. I had the kids there.

Not for the limelight: Paul Scholes

More...
Manchester United defender Brown flies home following death of half-sister
Foster will challenge James for the No 1 England spot

'You maybe think about what you have done for a day or two but then that's it, it's finished. You look forward to the start of the new season.'

Fast forward two months and that new season is almost upon us. Scholes sits with seven journalists in the foyer of the Beverly Hills Hotel in the Umhangla Rocks district of Durban, South Africa.

He doesn't want to be there. A polite but reluctant interviewee. A reluctant superstar. Scholes adores football but hates the clutter that comes with it. He expects to retire in two years and when he does you can expect him to vanish.

'Part of me will be glad to finish,' said Scholes. 'I can't say I can't wait to finish but I'm looking forward to finishing and everything that goes with it. The only thing I'll definitely miss is the football. The general life of a footballer, I suppose, I won't miss at all.

'People are just very invasive, aren't they? They are always wanting to know what you have been doing and what you're going to do.

'I'm sure I'll go to watch United. My lad Aaron is absolutely mad on Man United. But that'll be as far as it goes. I'd think I have two years left at the most.

'At the moment I just think that would be about right. I feel OK right now and as long as I feel OK then I'll carry on. 'I'll just have to see when the time comes whether I want to carry on playing somewhere else at a lower level. I don't look that far ahead.'

Fresh from a gym session (voluntary) in the hotel, Scholes looks surprisingly muscular as he sits in an armchair.

His biceps are huge and his legs powerful. It is clear that a player known for possessing one of the most intelligent minds in English football has been doing his bit to ensure his survival in a Premier League which increasingly relies on pace, power and physical strength.

'There are a lot more players out there who are a lot quicker and more powerful than players were when I started,' reflected Scholes.

'But you just have to keep on top of it and hopefully your football talents come out in the end.

'You'd like to think that maybe your football intelligence comes into it and helps you to cope. After all, there's only so much running you can do. At the end of the day it's football and if you're clever enough to play then you'll find the right answers for it.'

Scholes' football brain and passing range remain as good as ever. He played one ball - over 50 yards on the volley - against Orlando Pirates on Wednesday that Padraig Harrington would have struggled to play with his pitching wedge.

But to understand Scholes' remarkable longevity at Old Trafford it helps to look at some statistics from last season.

The elder statesman - he is 33 now - Scholes nevertheless made more appearances (24) than his young central midfield colleagues Owen Hargreaves and the Brazilian Anderson last season.

Michael Carrick played just seven more times. Having evolved gradually in to a deeper lying player, Scholes' goal return has diminished. He scored only twice last season, although one - from 25 yards - won United's Champions League semi-final against Barcelona.

'It was just one goal, one moment in a game,' is Scholes' take on it. Towards the end of an off-season that has been dominated by Cristiano Ronaldo's attempts to engineer a transfer to Real Madrid, it would be fascinating to hear Scholes' private thoughts about a team-mate who is everything that he is not.

There is no chance of that, however. He probably hasn't even told his wife. But the very concept of seeking fame and fortune elsewhere is alien to Scholes, a player who doesn't even have an agent.

'If players fancy a move and a bit of money then good luck to them but if they're at such a place like this I don't think they realise how lucky they are to be playing here,' he said.

'It's always a step down after here. 'There are obviously big clubs in the world but while certain people think it might be a progression if they move somewhere else, I don't think it is.

'I am lucky in that I've had everything I need. I'm at Manchester United and from Manchester. What more do I need?'

The one thing he badly needed last season was a place in a Champions League Final team.

Having missed the 1999 success through suspension, last May's triumph meant more to Scholes than most.

'I got a medal in 1999 but I don't view myself as a double Champions League winner,' he added.

'You've got to play in the final, I suppose, for it to count. So it meant everything to win it this time. It was a great night.'

For Scholes, there may not be that many more great nights. The end of a remarkable career is creeping up.

Rewind a few days to last Saturday. United have just played a friendly at the Newlands Stadium in Cape Town. Again, Scholes sits on the team bus on his own.

Outside, cameras flash as South African news crews and fans peer through the tinted glass for a closer view. Scholes instinctively shuffles across his seat towards the aisle. He is out of sight.

Tibs

Paul Scholes should be a role model to any young pro.

Outstanding professional, and one of the best midfielders of the past 10 years.

Not only that, but he has his priorities right too United>England fc

kf

'It's always a step down after here. 'There are obviously big clubs in the world but while certain people think it might be a progression if they move somewhere else, I don't think it is.

'I am lucky in that I've had everything I need. I'm at Manchester United and from Manchester. What more do I need?'
:devil:

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Reading that brought a tear to my eye.

I am going to saviour his last two or so years here.

Total, undoubted, pure legend.

fecking love you, you ginger genius.

Tibs

Scholes and Giggs both should be knighted!

Dyslexic Untied

Great interview.

Scholes` interviews are like rare pieces of art. You never really see them, and when you finally do you suck them in for all they`re worth.

Thats what Ronaldo should read. Scholes is an example to us all of how a football player should behave. I hope his last two seasons are memorable and he scores many more goals.

RedNome

Thats what Ronaldo should read. Scholes is an example to us all of how a football player should behave. I hope his last two seasons are memorable and he scores many more goals.
Nah just one more in the Champs league final against Real would do me, I'm not greedy.

redevil2

Ronaldo is the opposite of Scholesy. He wanted so bad to be in the lime light he went swimming and have pictures even he's not playing football and should have been resting his ankle!

He's probably laughing at the ginger prince for not courting attention! He would be the last person to read a Scholesy interview. Compared to Becks, he's 10 times worse

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Great player, amazing actually.

Watched his style of play for years and it never gets old on me.

RedNome

I think we should keep Ronaldo out of this thread.

He has no place in a thread about Scholes.

That is all.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
There's no comparison.

Scholes is a top bloke.
My uncle manages his lads side :cool:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Incredible

Himself, Ole, and Giggs are perfect role models for all aspiring footballers.

RedNome

I just read that again.

It's a shame his kind are in the minority these days.

hotshot2004

what a humble footballer, i wish he was to stay for another 10 years, he needs to be ambassador for FIFA, as he is only footballer to acknowledge what is wrong with football atm.

Absolute class, i tahnk him for his services and his attitude.

Thanks you Ginger genius. Something which Ronaldo will never have in his life.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Legend, I wish he never aged I could never tire of seeing him play.

VP

What a legend! The perfect footballer.

'I am lucky in that I've had everything I need. I'm at Manchester United and from Manchester. What more do I need?' - thats brilliant.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Incredible

Himself, Ole, and Giggs are perfect role models for all aspiring footballers.
The saddest thing is that for the large majority they won't be. the average youth footballer today does the complete opposite of them - talks big and ultimately delivers very little.

I often think more of them are more concerned with limelight than legacy, certainly looking at the link between fancy hair styles being proportionate to lack of talent this would seem to be the case.

I often think every footballer who comes through our ranks should be forced to have an army style crew cut until they have made a real name for themself. That'll teach em!!!

Justin

Can't name any other players of recent times more honest and humble than Scholes.

Ole90+3

Very good article. It was like a mini-story of a pure footballer.

Most disciplined football I've ever known.

Compare Scholes' attitude to that of Ronaldos'.....No comparison

reddev07

If Carlitos said that then I can't really blame a newspaper for reporting it.
they completely twisted what he said. He never said ronaldo should be allowed to go if he wants to. He said IF he went, they would respect his decision. more to the point, the quotes came from AS so there was probably more Tevez said that they cut out. I don't blame them for reporting it, I blame them for getting all excited and thinking SAF will be annoyed with Tevez etc :rolleyes:

anyway back on topic, back to Scholes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvgiC014HC8&feature=related

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Fantastic article. I'd probably go as far to say that Scholes has been the best central midfield player that I've seen play in England. Let's make the most of him, while we still can.

dno

they completely twisted what he said. He never said ronaldo should be allowed to go if he wants to. He said IF he went, they would respect his decision. more to the point, the quotes came from AS so there was probably more Tevez said that they cut out. I don't blame them for reporting it, I blame them for getting all excited and thinking SAF will be annoyed with Tevez etc :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvgiC014HC8&feature=related
Fair enough, they do seem desperate to create divisions in our ranks.

Number7

Ret's Slave
You have to watch him live at a stadium to fully appreciate how fecking good he is...especially as you get a better perspective of the space available and how the little genius uses it.

Went to Pompey in the league and I don't think he lost the ball all night and his passing was sublime...pingling balls all over the place :smirk:

B Cantona

Desperate
Ahh I've loved Scholes to almost uncomfortable levels for well over a decade now. It helps that he's an absolute genius on the pitch, you can tell the respect other players hold him in because they'll pass him the ball when he has an opponent on top of him; safe in the knowledge he will cooly engineer himself some space with his quick feet, and then use the ball productively. Scholes never gives just any old pass, he plays balls that ensure the reciever has the maximum time and space to work in, putting it precisely where they would want it, and thus building up momentum to a move. It's not something that can be measured in statistical form like an assist or a goal - pass completion stats don't do him justice; they don't recognise the quality of the completed pass. But it's a priceless asset. People always used to say a Roy Keane mistake was a rarity; he was positively careless compared to Paul Scholes

His demeanor off the pitch is just a bonus. You'd could accuse him of being a sulky sod, but he just is who he is. And luckily for him, he's a good guy who doesn't let fame get to his head. Personally I'm suprised more of todays players haven't followed his example; you can still earn a fortune and have an almost entirely private life. I guess the money and the hero worship corrupts them, they become devorced from logic and reality

I remember hearing something by a Nike executive a few months back. They sponser Paul, but he never does any public appointments for them. They say its enough just to be associated with Paul Scholes. He's the only player on their books they allow that freedom too. That's how special the lad is!

BillyBob

Legend!

Here's the Guardian Online:

Paul Scholes reached the pinnacle of his career in Moscow two months ago with a winning appearance in the Champions League final, the crowning glory of an exemplary career for club and country. The 33-year-old midfielder has spent some of the time since May 21 considering how he will descend gracefully from that peak and yesterday revealed his conclusion when he set a two-year deadline for his exit from Manchester United.

"How long will I go on? I'd think two years at the most," he said. "I have one year left on my contract and hopefully I'll get another one but I suppose it all depends on how you're feeling and how you're playing. At the moment I just think two years would be about right."

Football's most reluctant star is living proof that celebrity can remain an optional extra. Scholes has operated below the radar for almost a decade and a half at Old Trafford and, while he may miss the top-level football when he leaves, he has never cared for the lifestyle trappings that go with it. The 10 days he will have spent away from his wife, Claire, and three young children, by the time he returns from United's four-game tour of South Africa and Nigeria are tough on such a family man.

"I can't say that I can't wait to finish but I am looking forward to finishing with everything that goes with it," he said. "I suppose people are just very invasive and are always wanting to know what you're going to do. The only thing I will definitely miss is the football, not the general life of a footballer."

Leaving a club is a wrench for any long-serving player and, while Scholes may see the writing on the wall at Old Trafford, he has not ruled out a move elsewhere when the time finally comes to leave. "It's difficult to say whether I want to bow out at the top [with United] or not. I'll just have to see, when the time comes, whether I want to carry on playing somewhere else at a lower level. But I don't look that far ahead.

"I've not done my coaching badges. I've never really done any coaching but I might give it a go and see if I like it. For now, though, I just want to concentrate on playing."

When Scholes does leave United it will be after serving his whole career as a professional player there and there has never been any temptation to swap Old Trafford for another stage. Cristiano Ronaldo appears to fancy another platform on which to treat the world to his talents but Scholes believes there is little to be gained - other than financially - by moving elsewhere.

"If other players fancy a move and a bit of money, then good luck to them but, if they're at a place like this, I don't think they realise how lucky they are to be playing here.

"It's always a step down after here. There are obviously big clubs in the world but, while certain people think it might be a progression to move somewhere else when you leave here, I don't think it is.

"I've had everything I need. I'm at Manchester United and I'm from Manchester, so what more do I need? I'm just one of the lucky ones who is at such a big club and has won a lot of trophies, but there are a lot of players throughout the league that won't win anything, yet will make big money out of it. Good luck to them."

When Scholes does finally walk away from United, he will emerge with two Champions League winners' medals to his name - one from Barcelona, the other from Moscow.

Scholes received the first while wearing his suit in the Nou Camp thanks to a suspension, however, so he admits that the second, won in the Russian capital in May, is the only one that matters.

"It meant everything," Scholes said. "It was a great night to win probably the biggest trophy in club football. Maybe we were a bit lucky towards the end but I was always hopeful we'd win it again and, luckily, we did it.

"I don't have my medals on show, they're just locked away somewhere. I got a medal in 1999 but I don't view myself as a double Champions League winner. You've got to play in the final for it to count. Hopefully we can do better this time than we did after 1999 when we had to wait another nine years."

redevil2

I think we should keep Ronaldo out of this thread.

He has no place in a thread about Scholes.

That is all.
Agree with you totally... but just one more time:-) >>

Lifestyles of the rich and famous

Favourite pastimes

Ronaldo Sunbathing, shopping, serenading beautiful women, such as Nereida Gallardo, a Spanish model and former girlfriend, and spurning the advances of scores of others, such as Paris Hilton, reportedly.
Scholes Watching Oldham Athletic, staying at home in Saddleworth with his wife, Claire, and their three children, occasional fish and chips.

Favourite hangouts

Ronaldo Any of the world's super-clubs, present favourite being Villa, a popular celebrity haunt in Los Angeles.
Scholes Saddleworth's local pubs.

Fashion sense

Ronaldo Gucci, Prada, anything designer, and tiny Wham!1980s-style metallic shorts, not to mention lots of diamond encrusted jewellery.
Scholes About as bling as Tring, Hertfordshire's small market town.

Life's mission

Ronaldo To become the best, most famous and highest-paid footballer in the world.
Scholes To live the quietest life possible while continuing to excel for arguably the world's most famous club.

What they say

Ronaldo “I would like to play for Real Madrid, but only if it's true they are ready to pay what Manchester United ask of them.”Scholes “I'm at Manchester United, what more do I need?”

Words by James Ducker

Werewolf

Scholes is without any doubt the most intelligent player out there. A legend and a model for anyone of us. The day he leaves will be a very sad day...

hotshot2004

Agree with you totally... but just one more time:-) >>

Lifestyles of the rich and famous

Favourite pastimes

Ronaldo Sunbathing, shopping, serenading beautiful women, such as Nereida Gallardo, a Spanish model and former girlfriend, and spurning the advances of scores of others, such as Paris Hilton, reportedly.
Scholes Watching Oldham Athletic, staying at home in Saddleworth with his wife, Claire, and their three children, occasional fish and chips.

Favourite hangouts

Ronaldo Any of the world's super-clubs, present favourite being Villa, a popular celebrity haunt in Los Angeles.
Scholes Saddleworth's local pubs.

Fashion sense

Ronaldo Gucci, Prada, anything designer, and tiny Wham!1980s-style metallic shorts, not to mention lots of diamond encrusted jewellery.
Scholes About as bling as Tring, Hertfordshire's small market town.

Life's mission

Ronaldo To become the best, most famous and highest-paid footballer in the world.
Scholes To live the quietest life possible while continuing to excel for arguably the world's most famous club.

What they say

Ronaldo “I would like to play for Real Madrid, but only if it's true they are ready to pay what Manchester United ask of them.”Scholes “I'm at Manchester United, what more do I need?”

Words by James Ducker
you cannot compare any footballer to scholes in terms of attitude, he is the best in the business in terms of ideal role model. When he retires, i will miss him.

kiristao

If there is one player who deserves any sort of role at United after he retires, its Scholes..