£100m pound players

TheReligion

Abusive
Who has done anything to near justify the magic three figures?

Mbappe has been the best I feel but when you look at others like Felix, Grealish, Lukaku, Coutinho... It's, well, underwhelming?

Too much of a burden or were the players who have been priced at that never really all that good?

Amir

I don't think it's the burden. People were talking about big fees in the past as well, even if the numbers were lower.

I think that teams have become more distinct, so if someone looks great for one side it's far from guaranteed he'll be as good for another team.

lloyd2wayne

Who has done anything to near justify the magic three figures?

Mbappe has been the best I feel but when you look at others like Felix, Grealish, Lukaku, Coutinho... It's, well, underwhelming?

Too much of a burden or were the players who have been priced at that never really all that good?
You forgot the big one, Hazard!

SAFMUTD

Looking at the most expensive transfers most have been flops really.

Besides Cristiano, Bale, Neymar and Mbappe I don't think the others justify their price tags.

Neymar 220M - ok
Mbappe 145M - ok
Countinho 135M - massive failure
Griezmann 125M - failure
Hazard 115M - massive failure
Lukaku 115M - to early to tell but not looking good
Joao Felix 115M - average at best
Dembélé 135M - failure
Pogba 105M - average at best
Bale 101M - success
Cristiano 100M (Madrid) - massive success
Cristiano 120M (Juve) - relative success

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They seem a bit light. How many pound go in a stone?

Honestly though, it's capitalism, so our rotten little system of greed and sin justifies any price the market is willing to pay.

arnie_ni

Think they'll be a thing of the past soon.

Think we'll see players run their contracts down more and more and get massive signing fees into their own and their agents pockets.

arnie_ni

Besides Cristiano, Bale, Neymar and Mbappe I don't think the others justify their price tags.

Neymar 220M - success
Mbappe 145M - success
Griezmann 125M - failure
Bale 101M - success
I'm not sure I'd call mbappe and Neymar massive success. They were bought to win a CL and they haven't delivered.

They were winning the French league every year with zlatan and cavani already

Sviken

The only player IMO who has justified a 100m fee (slightly lower, I know) was Ronaldo and that was a daylight robbery. Other than that I feel there's been no success. Mbappe and Neymar have done nothing that PSG wouldn't have achieved with two 30-50m players in their positions.

TheReligion

Abusive
They seem a bit light. How many pound go in a stone?

Honestly though, it's capitalism, so our rotten little system of greed and sin justifies any price the market is willing to pay.
Tbh Lukaku seems to have lost control of his weight again.

Good point.

El Zoido

I like Jadon Sancho but he's gotta be on this list as well so far.
Been a bad season for everyone at the club so far, so it’s too soon to say. He’s already looking better after 2 weeks with Rangnick.

SAFMUTD

I'm not sure I'd call mbappe and Neymar massive success. They were bought to win a CL and they haven't delivered.

They were winning the French league every year with zlatan and cavani already
I didn't called them massive success, just success. Yes titles wise PSG are pretty much the same before them, but you can't call them flops just because they haven't won the UCL that's a ridiculously high standard to measure a signing.

Halftrack

Neymar 220M - success
He's a brilliant player, but they're lucky if they get 30 games out of him over the course of a season.

I'm sure they could have gotten a player who could have contributed as much (or more) for much less. Obviously, signing him was just as much a statement, a way to boost their profile and embarassing a European giant as it was about improving the squad.

In terms of success, I'd put him below Ronaldo to Juve.

Schneckerl

Mbappe was a great transfer for sure. PSG could have sold him for over 200M with a few months left on his contract, while a lot of the other +100M players ended up being a burden/worthless.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Didn't Dembele cost also over 100 Millions?

Mostly injured and didn't do anything of notice.
Barcelona burnt a lot of cash. Cutinho, Griesmann and Dembele all over 100 million £ and none became a success for Barcelona

arnie_ni

I didn't called them massive success, just success. Yes titles wise PSG are pretty much the same before them, but you can't call them flops just because they haven't won the UCL that's a ridiculously high standard to measure a signing.
For 360 odd mil combined you need a higher standard.

We need an rvn

Neymar 220M - success
Mbappe 145M - success
Griezmann 125M - failure
Bale 101M - success
To be fair, the title is £ and a lot of these are in €, hence only a few should be considered ;)

I'd disagree with Neymar and Mbappe to be honest. They were bought for PSG to win the CL, they haven't. Those players would always be a success in the french league, but that wasn't why they were primarily bought, hence no success

Agree with everyone else, although Bale is a question mark given his injuries and how much he has actually played for Real

When you consider Salah going for £37m back in 2017, the other transfers that season were Neymar (220), Mbappe on loan with right to buy, Dembelle (105) to Barca, Lukaku to United €85m - it shows these massive buys (bar Ronaldo) are not worth it.

KeanoMagicHat

Neymar 220M - success
Mbappe 145M - success
Griezmann 125M - failure
Bale 101M - success
I don't think Neymar is a success at all. He shows up for 20 games a year in Ligue 1 and fails to win the CL for by far the most expensive transfer of all-time. Man City got De Bruyne, Sterling, Ruben Dias and Mahrez (none of which were cheap themselves) for the same price as Neymar.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
The only player IMO who has justified a 100m fee (slightly lower, I know) was Ronaldo and that was a daylight robbery. Other than that I feel there's been no success. Mbappe and Neymar have done nothing that PSG wouldn't have achieved with two 30-50m players in their positions.
What a total coincidence we had our 2 best CL years with them on the pitch then. That claim can't be serious.

I don't think Neymar is a success at all. He shows up for 20 games a year in Ligue 1 and fails to win the CL for by far the most expensive transfer of all-time. Man City got De Bruyne, Sterling, Ruben Dias and Mahrez (none of which were cheap themselves) for the same price as Neymar.
The level Neymar had when he arrived at PSG justified his price (not like Grealish for exemple that shows nothing special), he was oustanding and looked like he was hovering over the pitch. But obviously we can't consider his transfer a success because it seems he's in recovery for 3 years now. Of course he's still capable of amazing games (against Bayern last season for exemple) so he's not a total flop like Dembele/Coutinho/Hasard but nothing consistent.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
CR7 wasn't a 100m pounds player, neither was Bale I believe.

Honestly, besides Mbappe, I don't think there's any player who went over 100m pounds that ended up being worth it.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC

Neymar 220M - success
Mbappe 145M - success
Griezmann 125M - failure
Bale 101M - success
I'd consider Neymar, Mbappe and Ronaldo (Juve) average tbh

SAFMUTD

And yet they still haven't won the UCL either, does that make them failed transfers?

Neymar it's a clown that doesn't want to play league 1 that's clear, but PSG has been close to win the UCL and that's been with Neymar been key to them.

SAFMUTD

I'd consider Neymar, Mbappe and Ronaldo (Juve) average tbh
Agree, maybe I went a little overboard with "success" but they haven't failed either. Ask any PSG fan if they want to get rid of them, that's a nice barometer to see if they consider them hit or miss.

Zen

Neymar 220M - success
Mbappe 145M - success
Griezmann 125M - failure
Bale 101M - success
How come you casually got these wrong? Given there's genuinely no questions over either them, say like the odd Bale one, bit odd :lol:

There's no way you can considered Ronaldo(to Juve) a relative success when you consider Neymar a 'success' at overly twice the price, injured half the time, no CL, no individual accolades.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Neymar 220M - ok
Mbappe 145M - ok
Griezmann 125M - failure
Dembélé 135M - failure
Bale 101M - success
Where are you getting these figures from?
Thought Ronaldo was well known to have been 80m to Madrid, and about that to Juve later on.

Surely you're not using euros, even though the title over stated pounds :)

Zen

He's wrong even if Euros. Juve 100m Euros, RM 94m Euros.

SAFMUTD

How come you casually got these wrong? Given there's genuinely no questions over either them, say like the odd Bale one, bit odd :lol:

There's no way you can considered Ronaldo(to Juve) a relative success when you consider Neymar a 'success' at overly twice the price, injured half the time, no CL, no individual accolades.
Bale was vital in two champions leagues for Madrid, he's turned into a circus now but he's been there for 8-9 years now. He was great for 5-6 at least.

I consider Ronaldo a relative success because even when he delivered the numbers he was taken to Juve to win the UCL, and instead of improving Juve went backwards they failed to win the league and never reached anything more that quarters finals in the UCL. On top of that they spent 120M on him and sold him for 15M 3 years later.

Neymar on the other hand hasn't won the UCL but PSG has reached semifinal and final and he still have several years left to play for them.

Situations matter when grading a transfer, but at the end of the day it's all about opinions.

SAFMUTD

Where are you getting these figures from?
Thought Ronaldo was well known to have been 80m to Madrid, and about that to Juve later on.

Surely you're not using euros, even though the title over stated pounds :)
Transfermarkt, it's euros. I surrounded the figures, if you want the exact ones it's 94M to Madrid and then 117M to Juve.

Zen

Transfermarkt, it's euros. I surrounded the figures, if you want the exact ones it's 94M to Madrid and then 117M to Juve.
Commonly known it was bang on 100m Euros to Juve.

::sonny::

99% of the times you get a flop

If you pay 100 million a player it means that you arrived to late on him

Last edited: