£150m

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Spinning the argument so it looks good in your favour, eh? I never said that this team is as good as theirs in current form and shape, never even came close to it, I actually mentioned that I feel that our team would be competitive IF they'd been properly managed which hasn't been the case for the past 18 months. There's no way that Di Maria at his best wouldn't make Chelsea team (or any team in the world arguably), no matter how much you might not like him.

I don't think Costa is much better than Rooney at all, if he's better at all. I don't think a trio of Mata, Herrera and Di Maria is worse than a trio of Hazard, Oscar and Willian either. Fabregas is better than any midfielder we have but in Blind, Fellaini and Carrick we have players who can match Matic as well. A set of full backs in Shaw and Rafael, when they can stay fit, is every bit as good as what they have too IMO. Smalling and Rojo haven't played much together and they're probably not going to be as solid as Terry and Cahill in the short term but there's potential there. De Gea is better than Courtois.

You'd need all our players to be in good physical condition and top form for that to be anywhere near the case but personnel wise it's an excellent squad.
I'll have some of what you're drinking please...

finneh

Spinning the argument so it looks good in your favour, eh? I never said that this team is as good as theirs in current form and shape, never even came close to it, I actually mentioned that I feel that our team would be competitive IF they'd been properly managed which hasn't been the case for the past 18 months. There's no way that Di Maria at his best wouldn't make Chelsea team (or any team in the world arguably), no matter how much you might not like him.

I don't think Costa is much better than Rooney at all, if he's better at all. I don't think a trio of Mata, Herrera and Di Maria is worse than a trio of Hazard, Oscar and Willian either. Fabregas is better than any midfielder we have but in Blind, Fellaini and Carrick we have players who can match Matic as well. A set of full backs in Shaw and Rafael, when they can stay fit, is every bit as good as what they have too IMO. Smalling and Rojo haven't played much together and they're probably not going to be as solid as Terry and Cahill in the short term but there's potential there. De Gea is better than Courtois.

You'd need all our players to be in good physical condition and top form for that to be anywhere near the case but personnel wise it's an excellent squad.
If we hired Mourinho after Fergie retired the exact same discussion would be happening on the Chelsea forum. Mourinho would have had us finish 3rd last season and competing at the top of the League this season, which is where our squad should be based on talent. I'd put our squad alongside City as the second best in the league and I'm sure once we have a full team for a couple of months we'll start to see that (and if we don't it'll be on Van Gaal).

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If we hired Mourinho after Fergie retired the exact same discussion would be happening on the Chelsea forum. Mourinho would have had us finish 3rd last season and competing at the top of the League this season, which is where our squad should be based on talent. I'd put our squad alongside City as the second best in the league and I'm sure once we have a full team for a couple of months we'll start to see that (and if we don't it'll be on Van Gaal).
I think Chelsea's is better now but the margin is not big.

Sarni

Ever since Chelsea won the lottery, they would usually have a best XI that was, man for man, better than ours but we were able to finish ahead of them because we had a brilliant manager, a deep squad and a spine of players that was as good as any other team around. So good that standards didn't drop signifcantly even when the rest of the XI wasn't up to scratch. Playing alongside the best players in the world can lift the performances of lesser lights. That's how Evans played a part in that amazing run of clean sheets when Ferdinand started getting problems with his back.

Where's that spine now? Where are these world class talents in their prime that the squad players can slot in alongside and raise their game? They've all got over the hill and/or left, that's what happened. Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra are the obvious losses but people are forgetting how heavily we relied on Giggs and Scholes for creativity, right up until the point they weren't physically capable of contributing any more. Then you had defensive stalwarts like O'Shea and Brown. Not the best around but seasoned pros you could always rely on to dig deep and steady the ship, defensively, when we were up against it. We've been crying out for that kind of defensive nous this season and last.

Right now, Rooney is arguably the only United player in his physical prime who is definitively of the quality required to win Premier League titles. Maybe Mata too? But god knows his star has waned since Mourinho found him surplus to requirements at Chelsea. There's not another player in our squad you can say that about. Which is a big fecking deal. Di Maria? Hopefully. Still has it all to prove and there's no reason he couldn't turn out more of an Ozil than a Sanchez (which is how it looks right now)

Buying the league's best striker (and having Carrick play out of his skin) managed to eke one last league title out of a squad that was blatantly deeply flawed. Those chickens have come home to roost now and even if you could name a best XI (I don't think you could) there would be major doubts over each player in that line up. To an extent where you'd be unsure about all but one of them (Rooney) being first XI in their given position for a title challenging team for the foreseeable future. Keep burying your head in the sand all you want and keep blaming the managers but - like it or not - you're supporting a club that has barely even started the huge overhaul required before we can even start to dream about winning the league again.
This is where I stop reading. What's the point if it cannot even be recognized that we had a much better team than them for the vast majority of the past decade, the overrating of Chelsea will never cease.

Last edited:

finneh

I think Chelsea's is better now but the margin is not big.
I thought City's was a bit better last season and Chelsea's is a bit better this season, both not by huge margins though, but enough to make them clear favourites.

The mismanagement over the last 18 months has caused people to believe that Fergie was worth 20+ points a season over other good managers; rather than a more realistic 6-8 points.

GBBQ

I think LVG put too much trust in the pre-season performances. The physio staff expected Evans, Jones and Smalling to have relatively injury free seasons (without 3 matches a week) so LVG probably didn't feel the need to strengthen there this season. Its clearly not been the case and the ever changing backline has been an issue. To combat this LVG went 3 at the back. Its worked to a degree; we've gone on a good run of clean sheets or just 1 goal being let in but that level of safety comes at a price the other end of the pitch with Falcao and AdM being the obvious victims. 2 potentially world class players being made to look ineffective due to hwo we are set up.

Hopefully LVG does get the right personnel in at the back and we can be a alot more attacking and make use of the players already at our disposal.

Sarni

How convenient.
What's the point, again? You don't even rate Di Maria who's in FIFA Team of the Year as world class, Rooney is possibly the only player here that you actually rate (and like). For me there's not much at all between Azpilicueta and Shaw, Blind and Matic, Cahill and Smalling, Rafael and Ivanovic, Di Maria and Hazard, Herrera and Willian, Mata and Oscar and so on. The fact that the vast majority of our team has been misused for a good while while Mourinho manages to squeeze every bit out of that Chelsea team is the main difference. If you got the best out of each and every one of our players, pretty much like Mourinho is doing at Chelsea, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

Our balance is poor though, formation is absolutely crap, management has been ridiculously terrible for the past two seasons which why we are where we are. Sort of like Chelsea before Jose came back.

Pogue Mahone

I thought City's was a bit better last season and Chelsea's is a bit better this season, both not by huge margins though, but enough to make them clear favourites.

The mismanagement over the last 18 months has caused people to believe that Fergie was worth 20+ points a season over other good managers; rather than a more realistic 6-8 points.
Nobody is saying that. The truth is somewhere between 20+ and 6-8 points difference but the uncomfortable truth here is that the most recent squad he assembled was a huge step down from previous Fergie squads and only got across the line because our most important rivals were in transition and continued contributions from fading stars who were still a level above their putative replacements.

Sarni

Nobody is saying that. The truth is somewhere between 20+ and 6-8 points difference but the uncomfortable truth here is that the most recent squad he assembled was a huge step down from previous Fergie squads and only got across the line because our most important rivals were in transition and continued contributions from fading stars who were still a level above their putative replacements.
Indeed, these 89 points we got that season would have never under any circumstances got us the title if City and Chelsea didn't struggle so much...

Actually, in 2011-12 we somehow lost the title despite having 89 points which was near points total record in Premier League. If we got that one extra point and extra two points in 2010 we'd have had 7 titles in a row. All while having a shit team for the large chunk of this time too, some sort of an achievement.

Pogue Mahone

What's the point, again? You don't even rate Di Maria who's in FIFA Team of the Year as world class, Rooney is possibly the only player here that you actually rate (and like). For me there's not much at all between Azpilicueta and Shaw, Blind and Matic, Cahill and Smalling, Rafael and Ivanovic, Di Maria and Hazard, Herrera and Willian, Mata and Oscar and so on. The fact that the vast majority of our team has been misused for a good while while Mourinho manages to squeeze every bit out of that Chelsea team is the main difference. If you got the best out of each and every one of our players, pretty much like Mourinho is doing at Chelsea, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

Our balance is poor though, formation is absolutely crap, management has been ridiculously terrible for the past two seasons which why we are where we are. Sort of like Chelsea before Jose came back.
Tempted to take a leaf out of your book and stop reading very early on. Our fullbacks aren't fit to lace Chelsea's fullbacks boots (often literally!)

Shaw might be one of the best around one day. No guarantees though. He's blatantly not right now though. I suspect Rafael's physical fragility means he'll be gone soon enough. Ivanovic is so far ahead of him right now it's not even funny. He's probably a better central defender than anyone in our squad too!

Sarni

Tempted to take a leaf out of your book and stop reading very early on. Our fullbacks aren't fit to lace Chelsea's fullbacks boots (often literally!)

Shaw might be one of the best around one day. No guarantees though. He's blatantly not right now though. I suspect Rafael's physical fragility means he'll be gone soon enough. Ivanovic is so far ahead of him right now it's not even funny. He's probably a better central defender than anyone in our squad too!
He's a better center half, offensively he doesn't offer much over Rafael now. Rafael hasn't been at his best for a long time though. Shaw is excellent. Fitness is the issue of our full backs, not the lack of ability, both are still very competent.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
You'd need all our players to be in good physical condition and top form for that to be anywhere near the case
There's your problem! Most of your squad doesn't look like it's capable of hitting that top form.

but personnel wise it's an excellent squad.
Based on names and reputations, sure. Based on how the players in your squad actually perform, it isn't at all. At what point do you look past a players' reputation though and decide that he is no longer a very good player? A year and a half not enough?

Pogue Mahone

He's a better center half, offensively he doesn't offer much over Rafael now. Rafael hasn't been at his best for a long time though. Shaw is excellent. Fitness is the issue of our full backs, not the lack of ability, both are still very competent.
You say that as though being unable to stay fit doesn't matter. It matters a lot.

Sarni

There's your problem! Most of your squad doesn't look like it's capable of hitting that top form.

Based on names and reputations, sure. Based on how the players in your squad actually perform, it isn't at all. At what point do you look past a players' reputation though and decide that he is no longer a very good player? A year and a half not enough?
There are three players in our team regarding whose ability I have my doubts despite rating them a great deal in the past - Falcao, van Persie and Rafael.

The likes of Shaw and Smalling cannot stay fit.

Mata and Di Maria IMO are excellent footballers who have been in and out of form.

Herrera is marginalized but very good and intelligent IMO.

Rojo, Blind, De Gea, Carrick, Fellaini (after his resurgence this season), Rooney are all players who could easily play in a title winning team (some of them have in fact). So are Di Maria, Shaw, Mata, Herrera and Smalling when they're in form or fit (form is just a matter of playing time and correct position, fitness is more difficult). Januzaj is a talent. Valencia and Young are fine squad players, you don't need them better than this IMO. Evans might not be good enough and the same could apply to Jones.

We need a full back, a fitness coach for Smalling or a new defenders (will probably be Dragovic within this window) and perhaps a winger/forward depending on how we intend to play. That's all.

Pogue Mahone

Two central defenders in that list. One of whom seems unable to play more than two consecutive games without breaking down, the other who is looking very raw in his first season of PL football. And they say you build a title winning team from the back!

Just one striker too. How does that compare with our rivals? Goals win games, remember.

Problems at both ends of the pitch. Sums up our football since Fergie retired (early signs beforehand too)

And that's not even mentioning wide players. Another glaring weakness in our squad.

Sarni

Two central defenders in that list. One of whom seems unable to play more than two consecutive games without breaking down, the other who is looking very raw in his first season of PL football. And they say you build a title winning team from the back!
Rojo-Smalling partnership could be decent. I don't think City's center halves are very good, Kompany aside, either to be fair. We should have a look at new center halves mind, our defensive record has been surprisingly good this season but a lot of that is due to ultra-defensive tactics.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Rojo, Blind, De Gea, Carrick, Fellaini (after his resurgence this season), Rooney are all players who could easily play in a title winning team (some of them have in fact). So are Di Maria, Shaw, Mata, Herrera and Smalling. Januzaj is a talent. Valencia and Young are fine squad players.
That's ridiculously generous on several of those players.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
What's with the whole Rojo hate? Guy has been our best CB this season and ppl call him nothing more than a squad player
It's not that people hate him but he isn't quality enough to be more than a squad rotation player. Maybe when he gets a settled more experienced partner next to him (hummels, godin type) then he will improve. As of right now though he is the best CB we've got.

Wow wow wow.
You are calling Shaw, a 19-year old english international a total waste of money based on him being injured for a while for the first time in his career?
Clearly your love for Ricardo Rodriguez is making you much harsher (and jumping the gun) on Shaw. Not that there is anything wrong with rating Rodriguez of course.

Agree that Falcao has been a flop, and that Herrera should play more often and that Di Maria is not used correctly at the moment though.
I guess I'm just frustrated Because we spent 30 mill on a largely unproven player, even the games he has played he hasn't looked anything special, We overpaid massively for him £15-20 million would've been far better price much like what arsenal paid for chambers.

The reason I like Rodriguez so much is I have seen enough of him to realise he will become one of the best LBs in the world, he would've been much cheaper for us to buy, has far more experience internationally and club level and the irony is because of his attacking attributes he would've actually been a perfect LWB in our system we play.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He has to get the best out of the current group of players before another spending spree. Football isn't plug and play. Real Madrid tried that for years and failed. Signing 5 or 6 players hasn't shown any cohesive, or much impact in 6 months. Another 3 or 4 regardless of how good will complicate matters even more.
Agreed 100%.

We bought many new players this season and they have been indifferent (Blind, excepted).
IMO, the squad we have now is good enough to challenge for the title. With the right tactic/motivation, we can definitely compete for the title.

I think rather than spending money, LVG needs to focus more on getting the best out the current players, by playing them in their favoured positions and using a better tactic. This will yield the biggest improvement rather than buying more players.

We are currently creating very few chances, despite having: RvP, Di Maria, Rooney, Falcao, Mata, Herrerra. I'm sorry guys, but this is a World class attack and if a manager can't create a team to create goals using these players, adding new strikers wont make any difference.

And with regards to buying new defenders - statistically, we have one of the best defences in the league, so I don't quite understand the urgency to buy more defenders.

Can't create/score goals? Buy defenders. This has no logic.

Shark

@NotShark
Agreed 100%.

We bought many new players this season and they have been indifferent (Blind, excepted).
IMO, the squad we have now is good enough to challenge for the title. With the right tactic/motivation, we can definitely compete for the title.

I think rather than spending money, LVG needs to focus more on getting the best out the current players, by playing them in their favoured positions and using a better tactic. This will yield the biggest improvement rather than buying more players.

We are currently creating very few chances, despite having: RvP, Di Maria, Rooney, Falcao, Mata, Herrerra. I'm sorry guys, but this is a World class attack and if a manager can't create a team to create goals using these players, adding new strikers wont make any difference.

And with regards to buying new defenders - statistically, we have one of the best defences in the league, so I don't quite understand the urgency to buy more defenders.

Can't create/score goals? Buy defenders. This has no logic.
Not with that defence we're not. It's hard to believe how many people fail to see the importance of that when talking about challenging for fecking titles.

Pogue Mahone

By the way, I completely agree with the premise that a good manager should be able to get the best out of existing players rather than replacing them all, one by one. To me, that was where Moyes really fell short. Januzaj aside - who had never played under any other manager anyway - all the players seemed to actively disimprove under his management. Even players he'd signed!

What gave me cause to be optimistic under Van Gaal was his ability to get the most out of the likes of Young, Valencia and Fellaini. With so many of the rest of the squad failing to do the same, you have to wonder if he's being asked to polish one (or indeed several) too many turds?

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Not with that defence we're not. It's hard to believe how many people fail to see the importance of that when talking about challenging for fecking titles.
You can challenge for the title with a bad defence if you make up for it at the other end of the pitch.

Shark

@NotShark
You can challenge for the title with a bad defence if you make up for it at the other end of the pitch.
You guys were a freak case and had no barely anything to worry about aside from the league.

finneh

I don't buy that it was a "huge step down" from previous squads. It wasn't one of his best (2008 or 1999), but I've seen far worse squads over the past 2 decades. It was a squad that should be finishing third, albeit one that was very top heavy and aging.

Also, our strongest competitor City were not even slightly in transition. They had just won the League and had Toure, Zabaleta, Aguero, Hart, Kompany, Nasri, Silva, Dzeko, Tevez etc. It was arguably the strongest City team they've ever had at their peak; with the added bonus of having the experience of winning the League. We finished 11 points clear of one of the most highly rated expensively assembled teams in Premier League history.

I've said a few times the problem over the last 18 months started with Summer 2013. That should have been a Summer where we spent £150m on 4 key player's quickly, efficiently and in obvious areas. This would have been our new manager putting his stamp on the squad, whilst still having a title winning mentality, title winning experience and a dressing room that should have been together. The fact that we dicked around such that our only signing was Fellaini was utterly criminal.

This compounded the issue this Summer. Instead of needing 3-4 player's on top of the 3-4 we bought the season before, we needed around 5 key first team players (a winger, a LB, a CB, 2 CM's) and a couple of squad players (RB, CB). Not only this we needed to integrate essentially half a team into our current squad and make it work almost instantly. To be fair to Van Gaal/Woodward they did exceptionally well to get so many player's in such a short period, of the 7 player's we needed he probably got the bolded. Albeit that the integration part is still hairy at best.

Basically: if someone like Mourinho were hired instead of Moyes, I think we'd have signed 3-4 top player's last season, finished 3rd and signed 3-4 top player's this season and probably been competing for the title. The discussion of how bad Fergie left the squad wouldn't be occurring because dropping 2 places, whilst changing from the greatest manager ever and being back to business the following season would be par for the course.

itso 7

I think another factor we have overlooked is the fact that given our lack of European football and Van Gaal's late start we signed the players we could convince to come not the ones we actually wanted/needed. Looking at how LVG is treating Herrera you get the sense that if he was in his second season, in more settled situation he wouldn't have signed, same with Falcao and I don't think he would be spending thirty million on an eighteen year old left back either.The figures we spent reflect more on our desperation then than the values we would have paid under normal circumstances. Funnily enough Blind is the only player I'd see LVG signing without lingering doubts but he brought in him in during his fifth or sixth week!

itso 7

This is so true it's sad

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Anyone who thinks Ivanovic doesn't offer as much offensively as Rafael hasn't watched or taken in what Ivanovic has done in recent seasons. He's bombing forward brilliantly and his crossing and dribbling have come on masses.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
By the way, I completely agree with the premise that a good manager should be able to get the best out of existing players rather than replacing them all, one by one. To me, that was where Moyes really fell short. Januzaj aside - who had never played under any other manager anyway - all the players seemed to actively disimprove under his management. Even players he'd signed!

What gave me cause to be optimistic under Van Gaal was his ability to get the most out of the likes of Young, Valencia and Fellaini. With so many of the rest of the squad failing to do the same, you have to wonder if he's being asked to polish one (or indeed several) too many turds?
Agreed to an extent, since all three have had periods this season where they've not been completely useless and looked quite good, but I think one of the problems in this regard has been consistency. Young, Valencia and Fellaini have all had some good games, and all looked better than they often did last season, but none of the three have looked consistently excellent throughout, and I think that's something that can apply to a lot of our team.

Barring De Gea's superb form after his slightly shaky start, I'd struggle to name any of our players who have been consistently good. Rooney's been fairly decent overall, although probably hasn't had what would be one of his best seasons. Then you've got players like Di Maria, who's been anonymous in some games, but world class in others, and Mata, who's clearly a very good player but has sometimes looked quite quiet. Blind's one of the only players who I feel has been fairly consistent when he's played. Most others have shown signs of improvement upon last season, which is great, but have still been quite patchy too.

paulscholes18

Challenge maybe, but Strikers win games but defence win championships, only 4 times in pl history has it been won by a team conceding more the 1 per game (Man Utd x3 and Blackburn)

Gannicus

I haven't read every post on this thread so the point may have already been made.

Given the squad that we have, and even in light of all our injuries, the squad has significantly underperformed. Every transfer decision last summer can be defended, and we shouldn't overlook the fact that we have a lot of deadwood that has to be cleared out. And some of that has started. Overall, I'm okay with the how we to got to where are now since Louis took over.

Where I go wobbly with Van Gaal is the grim tactics, not the players we kept or acquired. We've discussed his tactics ad nauseum so I won't spent time on that, but if he could just sort out where Rooney and Di Maria are supposed to play and go back 4 plus whatever he likes, we'll start slashing teams that we've been struggling to manage draws with.

Just get to fourth, then go big with transfers in the summer and we're in the cockpit for a helluva ride next season. With the squad that we have there really are no excuses for finishing out of the top four.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
My mates constantly harping on at me about this £150 million we've spent, does get old but it is hard to justify when you consider the reputations Di Maria and Falcao have, yet for us you wouldn't believe them given the awful style of football we have and lack lustre performances.

I just hope LVG can get this team playing good, dominant football because I see no signs of it at the moment. We have the players in my opinion made only better by possibly Paul Pogba signing and a world class centre back. But if this style of football continues for the rest of the season I can't see us getting champions league honestly, with Southampton looking very, very strong and arsenal having Sanchez who seems to be guaranteeing them top 4 by himself.

The shredding of Fergies' legacy leaves a sour taste aswell. For years he harped on about leaving a squad that would need one or two additions and be set for continued success and it couldn't have been further from the truth. We need to spend even more now too. Like I say hopefully LVG can get this team to click properly - it has only been half a season I suppose but I have seen little improvement so far.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
My mates constantly harping on at me about this £150 million we've spent, does get old but it is hard to justify when you consider the reputations Di Maria and Falcao have, yet for us you wouldn't believe them given the awful style of football we have and lack lustre performances.

I just hope LVG can get this team playing good, dominant football because I see no signs of it at the moment. We have the players in my opinion made only better by possibly Paul Pogba signing and a world class centre back. But if this style of football continues for the rest of the season I can't see us getting champions league honestly, with Southampton looking very, very strong and arsenal having Sanchez who seems to be guaranteeing them top 4 by himself.

The shredding of Fergies' legacy leaves a sour taste aswell. For years he harped on about leaving a squad that would need one or two additions and be set for continued success and it couldn't have been further from the truth. We need to spend even more now too. Like I say hopefully LVG can get this team to click properly - it has only been half a season I suppose but I have seen little improvement so far.
Yeah leaving behind a team that had the Premier League wrapped up by January/February.........When United win, it's oh everyone else is in transition and the league is crap, when United lose, it's the league is super competitive lalala.

Really hate it when Ferguson get's flack for our current situation. We've spent over £220million since Ferguson's last triumph, it's not his fault the club have wasted it on the wrong players that we didn't need.

We need to spend our money better in future windows.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Yeah leaving behind a team that had the Premier League wrapped up by January/February.........When United win, it's oh everyone else is in transition and the league is crap, when United lose, it's the league is super competitive lalala.

Really hate it when Ferguson get's flack for our current situation. We've spent over £220million since Ferguson's last triumph, it's not his fault the club have wasted it on the wrong players that we didn't need.

We need to spend our money better in future windows.
I wasn't saying it was Fergies' fault, though I understand how it reads that way. I meant more we were told the squad would not need a complete overhaul and that Manchester United would continue to be a force in world football with the team he left behind, but it turned out to be the complete opposite. Letting Pogba leave for nothing and him becoming a superstar so soon after hasn't helped either!

RooneyLegend

We got in some good quality over the summer we just need our manager to mold the team into a good unit. Atm we look a mess but its not due to a lack of quality imo. Sure, This team has quite a number of really talented players but the coach is failing them and they look like they aren't really sure what this philosophy is about. Van Gaal must use our players in their right positions in the right formation and organise our defensive structure and we'd be on to a winner.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
That's ridiculously generous on several of those players.
Not so insane if we have a manager that knows how to use them and a system that suits them. You don't have to be the best players in the league to win the title.