£150m

Getsme

Well yeah, but most of people thought back then that it was an extremely bad signing. And I think that most of posters here wanted him out in the summer.

Just to imagine that after we spend around 150m in midfield on the last 18 months, we still aren't much better in that department than we were back then. Depressing!
indeed.

elisha27

I feel slightly sorry for Falcao. If he'd been playing in the Chelsea team since the start of the season, I don't think he'd be far off Costa's tally. While he may not be in great form, his goal return is being compounded by the form of those around him.

Roboc7

After years of ridiculous underinvestment.
Yeah that's true and that also part of the problem as well, we are trying to do everything quickly and there is just to much panic buying and a scattergun approach, another rebuild is needed.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I feel slightly sorry for Falcao. If he'd been playing in the Chelsea team since the start of the season, I don't think he'd be far off Costa's tally. While he may not be in great form, his goal return is being compounded by the form of those around him.
Don't feel sorry for him, he'll be going to Madrid in the Summer imo. It's just a shame we can't enjoy his talent, he's a terrific striker.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I really don't give a shit that you're to LVG what nahelai was to Moyes. It has been awful so far this season, no other way around it.

And after 150m of money spend, we are - at best - only marginally better than last season.

Nope. I remember a Bayern poster here (Balu?) saying that he's crap at transfer market. And so it seems. I also remember that he was heavily criticized at Barca for basically signing any Dutch player over the age of fifteen who existed back then.

We need a sporting director ASAP. Or a manager who is decent in all things, including transfer market. Seriously, with 150m a top manager should be able to create a top team from the scratch
It was nonsense because nothing of what you posted is really true. And therefore distracts from our real problems.

- As for his 'crap' Bayern transfers: he brought in Robben (arguably their most vital asset up until this day), Braafheid + Pranjic for less money than the Bayern board had already spent on Mario Gomez & Tymoshuk. He went on to win the league without really using Gomez and Tymo.

- With Barca, first of all he was very succesful by winning the league in his first season, most of the time that's not 'despite' poor decision making. He signed Kluivert, who was one of the best strikers in the world. Wish we had a Frank de Boer in our squad right now. For a player like Bogarde, there was also a Philip Cocu who he brought in on a free transfer. He became the most capped foreign player in Barca's history long after Van Gaal was gone. Marc Overmars was very expensive and perhaps not a 100% succes, but Van Gaal didn't sign him. He left Barca and new coach Ferrer signed Overmars, but because both he and Van Gaal are Dutch it's confusing. Context for his Barca signings: Van Gaal had just dominated World Football with his own specific 'Dutch style', consisting of mostly Dutch players, working in Holland. And his whole transfer policy was only one or two years after the introduction of the 'Bosman-rulings', meaning it was a very different world back then.

-About our transfers this season and the 150 million spent + Do we need a DOF?: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mig...igure-be-required.382241/page-4#post-17007327

In a nutshell: my guess is that only Blind and Rojo are really his transfers, making it really strange to moan about Van Gaal supposedly spent.

When I read in Ancelotti's biography that he thinks a manager has roughly 20% influence, and I hear other managers like Guardiola and even Van Gaal himself implying a similar figure, I assume that's a good guess. So for me this number applies when we're losing, but also when we're winning. I think there are deeper reasons for our poor perfomances than the subtle differences between a 4-4-2 and 3-5-2 and some other choices made by a manager. I could elaborate on those reasons, but it's probably not that interesting to you so I'll just leave it at this. I don't know what a nahelai is by the way, but it sounds weird.

stepic

Did Sanchez, Fabregas, or Costa need a bedding in period? The 3 best players in the league and they're in new teams.
Adding one or two players to an already embedded team = essentially rebuilding a first 11 from the grounds up. Ok

stepic

The patience of fans is the most discouraging.

How did Chelsea look two seasons ago? One season ago even?

Revan

Assumptionman
Blind - Think he's excellent when playing as DM. As LB/LWB his attacking play lets him down.
Shaw - He's excellent as a LB, defensively sound. But his attacking play simply isn't there (but this was the same issue at Southampton).
Herrera - He makes us tick, not sure why he isn't playing much.
Di Maria - Being played all over the place, needs to go back to his Real Madrid starting position before we start to see him recovering his form.
Falaco - No service, has missed a few chances he should have put away.
Rojo - Thought he was going to be an awful signing, but he reminds me of a young Vidic. He'll be a brilliant CB for us imo.

But if we look at the above, then look at our choices for wide players you'll then see the issue:

- Blind (not good as a LWB)
- Shaw (his attacking play isn't good enough)
- Valencia (he's awful)
- Young (he's our best wide player which says it all)
- Rafael (injured)
- Di Maria (can't play as a WB)

So you now understand the issue we have. I think LvG probably regrets not buying in a new RWB, but we don't know his long term goal at United. He may see 3-5-2 as a short term answer to get us into the top 4 before being able to change formation by bringing in the players he wants. Being out of the CL hurt our Summer spending imo, being in the CL is very important to bring in the top quality signings. I just think we need to realise that this season is a work in progress and accept that we won't be seeing vintage United. If we're still playing the same way next Season then I think Van Gaal can have criticism thrown his way, but i'm being realistic and trying to appreciate that at the end of the day finishing top 4 is far more important than playing good football. As long as we finish top 4, Van Gaal has my backing, if we fail and we still play terrible football next season, then i'll be growing hugely frustrated.
I think that a neutral would have judged more like this:

Blind - very good as defensive midfielder
Shaw - overpayed kid who at best should be second choice at a club like United. Also, in modern football, a full back should be good attacking-wise too.
Falcao - crap so far
Di Maria - great in the first 5 games, crap since
Rojo - average
Herrera - not on the first team, despite that United are weak in midfield.

Now, I agree with many parts of your post. I think that Shaw can eventually become one of the top left backs in the world. Di Maria is an excellent player and Herrera is a great player too. At-least these four should - on theory - be very good signings for us. Also, there is still hope for Falcao and Rojo might turn out to be a great defender.

What I am saying though, is that so far they haven't been good (with the exception of Bling and Herrera on the rare occassions he played). On the right infrastructure, they should shine. For whatever reasons that isn't happening.

Anyway, all is forgiven if we go back to UCL (and hopefully we'll improve next season). But if we don't manage that, then LVG should not have any complain if he gets sacked. He was backed in transfer market more than any other United manager, and if his signings haven't worked (for any reasons and regardless of their supposed brilliance) then ultimatelly it is his fault.

Saying that, I think that we should be able to achieve our target (UCL) as long as LGV becomes more flexible and tries more risky tactics rather than keeping the ball forever and do nothing with it. Will he adapt though, is the 50m (if not more) pounds question.

NinjaFletch

Genuinely think his signings have been pretty good.

Obviously not everyone's settled but of the 6 players we've bought under him I'd rate it as thus:

Blind and Rojo: Successes, virtually nothing negative that can be said about them with seriousness. Clearly improved the first team.

Di Maria: Glimpses of his world class ability, been misused to try and get more out of the squad but when he was allowed a run in his position he was fantastic.

Shaw: been good when allowed to play left back, not a wing back obviously. But his talent is abundantly clear, just been held back by injuries. He's fine going forward for a LB, struggles when asked to provide more as a wing back. Will be first choice for 10 years at least.

Herrara: Disappointing all things be told. Looks to be a highlights reel player, but yet is obviously talented and does a lot of good work too. Can be refined into a real asset given time.

Falcao: Disaster, shadow of his former self. Doesn't look physically cut out of it, can't finish and probably won't be here past the summer. Vanity signing, and probably not LVG's.

stepic

How good were Vidic and Evra again in their first half a season or so? Jesus you people expect the earth. To be already making any kind of definitive statement on the signings at this point is beyond ridiculous -- even more so when they're all joining a team very much in transition.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yes but Shaw isn't being played as a fullback. He's been playing as a Wingback, that's a completely different position as you have no support as a Wingback, the attacking output from that side of the pitch will be dependent on your performance. As a fullback you have the winger to share duties and to work together with. It's a completely different position to a fullback. I think Rojo is showing in the last month that he's becoming a solid player for us, he'll be our best CB soon if not already.

I can't see us spending the money on Falcao, I think LvG will have realised by now that the money needs spending on other positions. I agree with the rest of the post, I think we'll make Top 4, we're picking up points and are hard to beat, that's what gets you in the Top 4. I don't really care about our performances this season, granted i'd love us to get performances and results, but top 4 is the most crucial thing here and LvG obviously thinks that by playing defensively we'll be able to get there. If we don't then naturally buck stops at LvG, that's a given.

I do think we made a huge error not investing in a new RB/RWB in the Summer. Moyes was right about that position, shame because I love Rafa but we certainly need a better option than Valencia.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Adding one or two players to an already embedded team = essentially rebuilding a first 11 from the grounds up. Ok
Sanchez joined an Arsenal squad filled with a bunch of average players and looks a world beater. Fabregas is playing in central midfield for the first time with regularity in years and Costa is the league's leading scorer playing in a brand new team in a brand new league.

Sorry if I expect the record British signing and one of the highest paid strikers on the planet to be lighting it up after more than half a season. This isn't QPR they've joined.

manutddjw

I think we did well. We brought in some good players and with the exception of Falcao they're all at age where they can contribute for years to come. We've seen glimspes of what Blind, Herrera, Rojo and Di Maria can offer the team and Shaw was good for Southampton and looks a good player. We just haven't gelled as a team, but the talent is there, so I'd hardly say we wasted the money.

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Blind and Rojo have been our best signings really and they're more "LVG signings" than anyone else.

Di Maria and Falcao have been the worst and they were the ones we were most excited about..
Phenomenally harsh on Di Maria (struggled in recent weeks and expensive, but still done really well for a normal player). Blind's been the stand out. Everyone apart from Falcao has come some way close to expectation (or in Shaw's case expectation of where he is now rather than full price yet).

Sam

I think we did well. We brought in some good players and with the exception of Falcao they're all at age where they can contribute for years to come. We've seen glimspes of what Blind, Herrera, Rojo and Di Maria can offer the team and Shaw was good for Southampton and looks a good player. We just haven't gelled as a team, but the talent is there, so I'd hardly say we wasted the money.
Agreed with this.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Blind and Rojo have been our best signings really and they're more "LVG signings" than anyone else.

Di Maria and Falcao have been the worst and they were the ones we were most excited about..
Feck me how the feck has Di Maria been the worst signing?

stepic

Sanchez joined an Arsenal squad filled with a bunch of average players and looks a world beater. Fabregas is playing in central midfield for the first time with regularity in years and Costa is the league's leading scorer playing in a brand new team in a brand new league.

Sorry if I expect the record British signing and one of the highest paid strikers on the planet to be lighting it up after more than half a season. This isn't QPR they've joined.
They still joined settled and embedded teams... That's the point. Our team is anything but settled.

If di Maria and Falcao were our only signings to a team that had played together consistently for 2 years... It would be a different story.

Hed Zitin

For all the money spent maybe we're missing that Cantona to spark us. The catalyst player. The final piece to the jigsaw. Another leader.

Utd7

What I can't understand is that a guy we paid a British record transfer fee is consistently being played out of position. LvG should be putting him in the best position to thrive (i.e. midfield) or your wasting his talent and the money paid for his services.

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Shaw 6 (when he's played)
Blind 7
Rojo 6.5
Di Maria 6
Herrera 6
Falcao 4

Everyone's been decent, but nobody really excelled or shown anything more than promise and being worth acquiring. Nothing stand out.

Performances have been good, but you feel you could have bought players for half as much (so far) and got as much quality out of them, if you'd picked well. Suppose you could say that about every team that spends over £100m in a season.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Could not agree more the service to him is abysmal.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It has been as crap as our signings.

Agree with this. I think tat Herrera is our best midfielder but for whatever reasons, Van Gaal seems to not rate/like him. Which is kind of weird considering that he is good on everything. Someone mentioned today that Herrera seems to make some risky passes and that might be the reason.

Anyway, only Blind so far has been a success. The others have been from poor to bad.
Yet Rooney can give the ball away left right and centre and never get dropped. Of course, I forgot he's the captain.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
How good were Vidic and Evra again in their first half a season or so? Jesus you people expect the earth. To be already making any kind of definitive statement on the signings at this point is beyond ridiculous -- even more so when they're all joining a team very much in transition.
Agreed.

Oo0AahCantona

Shaw 6 (when he's played)
Blind 7
Rojo 6.5
Di Maria 6
Herrera 6
Falcao 4

Everyone's been decent, but nobody really excelled or shown anything more than promise and being worth acquiring. Nothing stand out.

Performances have been good, but you feel you could have bought players for half as much (so far) and got as much quality out of them, if you'd picked well. Suppose you could say that about every team that spends over £100m in a season.
This is probably about right. nobodies been "Aweful" but for the money spent and for what we needed ie "instant impact" it just hasn't done the trick. So many players from other leagues have instantly hit the ground running, and teams that had large rebuilds over the summer similar to us(looking at you southhampton, and to a lesser degree west ham)

I still think that Rojo, Di maria and Shaw will be long term mainstays in our team and turn out to be excellent signings. We just need to settle down and play proper football again.

Trizy

Shaw - money well spent due to age and potential
Rojo - cheap squad depth
Blind - solid player for cheap money, a John O'Shea

Herrera - over priced by about 10 million but when he is allowed play he is very good
Di Maria - can be the best player in the league when playing his proper position, over priced by about 10 million though
Falcao - flop and bullet dodged so far

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Shaw - money well spent due to age and potential
Rojo - cheap squad depth
Blind - solid player for cheap money, a John O'Shea

Herrera - over priced by about 10 million but when he is allowed play he is very good
Di Maria - can be the best player in the league when playing his proper position, over priced by about 10 million though
Falcao - flop and bullet dodged so far
Shaw's arguably been the biggest flop so far. Hardly played and when he has, looks nothing special. Also more overpriced than anyone else we signed. If we persist on 352, Shaw wont get much game time.

Trizy

Shaw's arguably been the biggest flop so far. Hardly played and when he has, looks nothing special. Also more overpriced than anyone else we signed. If we persist on 352, Shaw wont get much game time.
That's because he's not a wing back. When we've played 4 at the back diamond which is argubally or best formation to suit our squad he has been immense in defending and his attacking will only get better. Few injuries didn't help along the way, but who hasn't been injured?

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Shaw I think's got a raw deal. He wasn't very good going forward at Southampton either, but he's been Azpilicueta level solid at the back apart from getting caught high up the pitch a couple of times and giving away that penalty (think it was Everton). When you have that pace you tend to overextend yourself and not always get back in time, but that comes with experience (unless you're Kyle Walker and remain very decent but nothing special).

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
:lol:

Rednotdead

A good manager makes best use of the players available to him. Can it really be said Van Gaal is doing that?

Sereques

Adding Blind, Di Maria and Herrera helped a lot but we clearly need further injections of quality.

:lol: Five or six proper new players should do the trick. However they need to play on their positions anyway.
I wonder how many threads and post like this that will pop up when those six "proper" players need up to 12 months to blend into the team.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Shaw - 4/10
Blind 7/10
Di Maria 4/10
Falcao 3/10
Rojo 7/10
Herrera 6/10

Would anyone drastically change that?
If we talk value for the Money that might not be far from truth. Based on the Performances for us so far only Rojo and Blind seem to be worth the Money. I cannot imagine that AdM became a shit Player just within a few months.

What makes me a bit sad is to look at Chelsea and how they spent a far smaller net amount and got so much stronger.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I think the signings are very good, or world class in Di Maria's case.

My finger points towards LvG.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
If we talk value for the Money that might not be far from truth. Based on the Performances for us so far only Rojo and Blind seem to be worth the Money. I cannot imagine that AdM became a shit Player just within a few months.

What makes me a bit sad is to look at Chelsea and how they spent a far smaller net amount and got so much stronger.
They've spent a hell of a lot more than us overall. No point talking about net spend when a few years ago the players they are selling now were bought for millions.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The funny thing is that most of his transfers are proven players who would do well if played correctly

Imagine this team

-------------------------DDG------------------
Rafael--------Smalling-------Rojo----------Shaw

-----------------------Blind---------------------
----------------Herrera-----Fellaini-----------

Valencia/Januzaj---------------------------Di Maria

-----------------------Rooney----------------------

That does look 2-3th EPL place material to me

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The funny thing is that most of his transfers are proven players who would do well if played correctly

Imagine this team

-------------------------DDG------------------
Rafael--------Smalling-------Rojo----------Shaw

-----------------------Blind---------------------
----------------Herrera-----Fellaini-----------

Valencia/Januzaj---------------------------Di Maria

-----------------------Rooney----------------------

That does look 2-3th EPL place material to me
I think you could definitely get a comfortably top 3 looking team out of your squad, but that isn't it I don't think. Di Maria's a 5 a season scorer, Januzaj 4 last season and Herrera and Fellaini aren't amazing scorers from deep. You're asking Rooney to turn into Ronaldo to get any goals.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think you could definitely get a comfortably top 3 looking team out of your squad, but that isn't it I don't think. Di Maria's a 5 a season scorer, Januzaj 4 last season and Herrera and Fellaini aren't amazing scorers from deep. You're asking Rooney to turn into Ronaldo to get any goals.
As opposed to RVP's 9 goals and Falcao's 3 goals scored this season?

Please note that strikers will only score goals if the delivery of the ball is good. To do so we need to close the enormous gaps left on the flanks by the horrible 3-5-2/4-4-2 diamond system, ignite the creativity spark and find balance between workrate, pace and creativity.

There will be games were 4-4-1-1 (with Mata behind Rooney) or even the good old 4-4-2 could be utilized. However we must go to the basics and work on the confidence of our lads. That can only be done by making them play a system they feel at ease in and stick to it.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I wonder how many threads and post like this that will pop up when those six "proper" players need up to 12 months to blend into the team.
12 months or even two seasons, we still need more world class players to raise the standards and create more rivalry within the first eleven.

Remember signing Robin van Persie ? Instant jump of quality and outscoring City in 2012/2013.