£20m Summer Transfer Budget

didz

No problem: Kamara, Kessie, Dembele, Eriksen, Dybala, Rudiger. Then we invest the £20m into some dicey stocks that - if they pay out - cover the cost of replacing most of those players.

Seriously though, £20m or £200m, whatever. We'll hopefully spend what we need to and more importantly we'll hopefully do it wisely.

captaincantona

Sabitzer (€20m) Laimer (€25m) Adeyemi (€40m), Timber(€50m), Anthony (€50m), Walker peters (€15m)

all schooled in the way of the gegenpress and should help the other lazy bastards adapt.

Chong, Garner, Amad, Williams back.

Keep Ronny...

Get rid of Martial, Pogba, Matic, Jesse, Mata, Bailey, Bissaka, Cavani

choccy77

Haaland Free... Mbappe Free....

Sell Jones, Shaw, Maguire, Bailly, AWB to afford some new goal nets.

Summer sorted.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
200m is more reasonable given that we will have 40m of the wages from players leaving for free. We can get 3-4 good players with 200m alone. Additional 2-3 players if we can sell Rashford, Matic, Bissaka, Martial and etc.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Haaland Free... Mbappe Free....

Sell Jones, Shaw, Maguire, Bailly, AWB to afford some new goal nets.

Summer sorted.
Not sure Dortmund would let Haaland go for nothing but admire the optimism.

pawanraj

Stop critizing for the sake of it

The glazer have shown they will spend. And they have spent.
Yep. We've spent a BILLION pounds since 2014 - the fateful year when Marcel Bout arrived, and Jim Lawlor got promoted to Chief Scout. And we have zero "undisputed successes" to show for it (except possibly Bruno Fernandes)...

JB7

So the last time the fans sold their shares... do they pocket the money? or was it club's money?
Odd comparison given those fans a) didn't have a choice but to sell and b) hadn't loaded their shares as debt against the club in the first instance.

Dazzmondo

£200m is a good starting point if we spend it wisely. Could still disappear very quickly if we don't spread it across all the positions we need to improve. DM most important to fix, I'd be open to us spending up to £60m on Tchouaméni due to how badly we need a player in this position. Apart from that I think we need to be looking at <£50m and a few free transfers. Also important to not offer any crazy wages, so no Rudiger.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
£200m is a good starting point if we spend it wisely. Could still disappear very quickly if we don't spread it across all the positions we need to improve. DM most important to fix, I'd be open to us spending up to £60m on Tchouaméni due to how badly we need a player in this position. Apart from that I think we need to be looking at <£50m and a few free transfers. Also important to not offer any crazy wages, so no Rudiger.
20 years ago £200 mil would have got you a whole team. 10 years ago it would have gotten you 5/6 decent players. The current market.. you’ll get 1/2 players for the quality of player you should be aiming for.

Believe me, everyone knows you need 10 players. They will milk you for everything they can get. They smell the fear and desperation and no it’s not hyperbole.

Dazzmondo

20 years ago £200 mil would have got you a whole team. 10 years ago it would have gotten you 5/6 decent players. The current market.. you’ll get 1/2 players for the quality of player you should be aiming for.

Believe me, everyone knows you need 10 players. They will milk you for everything they can get. They smell the fear and desperation and no it’s not hyperbole.
Nonsense. There are great players outside just the Premier League. There has been talk that Tchouameni would be available for around £50-60m and that Nkunku is available for £54m. These are top players. On top of that you can still find less well known, more risky players for significantly less. Since we need so many more squad players we can target a few of these. Some good free agents available this summer also. We certainly won't spend £200m on just 1 or 2 players. Rangnick straight up said we'd be looking at 6/8/10 new signings this summer. That doesn't mean all will be starters but clearly we are looking at a players in quite a few positions.

I would stay away from the likes of Nunez or Antony at the prices being suggested. They will never be worth that risk for £60m+. Complete luxury to spend that sort of money on merely good players. For that level of player you look for £30m options.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Only one player has cost more than 200 mil so at least one number in this fraction is totally wrong.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Sabitzer (€20m) Laimer (€25m) Adeyemi (€40m), Timber(€50m), Anthony (€50m), Walker peters (€15m)

all schooled in the way of the gegenpress and should help the other lazy bastards adapt.

Chong, Garner, Amad, Williams back.

Keep Ronny...

Get rid of Martial, Pogba, Matic, Jesse, Mata, Bailey, Bissaka, Cavani
So Southampton sign Walker-Peters, he plays well enough to earn a couple of caps for England and they sell him for no profit? Cool.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Only one player has cost more than 200 mil so at least one number in this fraction is totally wrong.
Rice reported £150 mil
Grealish £100 mil
Lukaku £90 mil
Pogba £80 mil

No doubt there is bargains to be had but for the player level and profile the club need to be looking at, £200 mil is nothing. Some of the fees in this thread are pure fantasy. You guys even acknowledge a “Utd tax” now they know your serious it’s going to cost you.

Also for good measure, there is no such thing as a free transfer and reducing wages does not equal more money to spend. These myths need to stop.

OldSchoolManc

We need better negotiators this next window. Offer turned down? Walk away.
We need to get away from the idea that United will pay more.
The wage noose we have is bad enough. Time to be more frugal and get more bangs for our bucks.
Having players on the biggest wages has without a doubt proved to be a problem.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Rice reported £150 mil
Grealish £100 mil
Lukaku £90 mil
Pogba £80 mil

No doubt there is bargains to be had but for the player level and profile the club need to be looking at, £200 mil is nothing. Some of the fees in this thread are pure fantasy. You guys even acknowledge a “Utd tax” now they know your serious it’s going to cost you.

Also for good measure, there is no such thing as a free transfer and reducing wages does not equal more money to spend. These myths need to stop.
They're select examples under different circumstances. You could definitely buy 4-5 players of the right ilk for 200m if done right. It's not the time to buy one big overhyped marquee signing.

Dansk

The current market.. you’ll get 1/2 players for the quality of player you should be aiming for.
Eh, we don't need to sign £100m+ players. That's not necessary to accomplish the club's goals. I would much rather take a team with numerous £40-50m players across the pitch than one with a couple of £100m players and a bunch of random crap for the rest. Considering how often marquee transfers don't really work out (for anyone, not just us), and how many new players we need to sign, it would be ridiculous to aim for someone like Haaland when we can get players like Antony, Tchouameni and Nkunku for about £50m each.

Giggsy13

We spent £80 million in a COVID stricken season with no fans and some of you want to believe this shit? We’re saving about £50 million alone on outgoing contracts.

Kaos

They're select examples under different circumstances. You could definitely buy 4-5 players of the right ilk for 200m if done right. It's not the time to buy one big overhyped marquee signing.
Yep, Liverpool's lethal front 3 were signed for a combined total of £100million, that probably won't even get you one Harry Kane.

Loon

:lol:
Is there anyone decent with a contract expiry available this summer (who has not been a United player)?

Robindinho

10 players with 200m to spend, GO.
I'd guess promoting youngsters as squad players (Hannibal, Garner, Laird) will count in this fabled 10.

Don't think we need that many anyway. A few incomings to suit Ten Hag's style of play. Not signing on name...

De Gea

Dumfries Timber Varane Shaw

Tchouaméni

VdB Bruno

Anthony Nkunku Sancho​

Then you've still got the likes of Rashford, Fred, Elanga, probably one of Ronaldo/Martial and the youngsters promoted as other options.

flameinthesun

Rice reported £150 mil
Grealish £100 mil
Lukaku £90 mil
Pogba £80 mil

I think if anything this is more of a case for why you should not spend so much on players. There are strikers who Chelsea could have bought for less than 50mil that would have contributed more to this season than lukaku, ditto with united and pogba. A tielemans, neves etc would have been worth more to the united team and less than 50mil than pogba has been.

So 200mil is more than enough to get 4/5 players, add in some loan players coming back and some youth stepping up, I expect to see 10 new additions in total to the sqaud.

croadyman

Yeah the wages need to be sensible again for the first time in many years, this will help players not feel they are above the manager.

Wing Attack Plan R

I don't think so. We will be looking for Bruno-esque deals (£46.5 million), or VDB (£35m), not Haaland-esque deals. Both Bruno and VDB are adrift currently, but another 3 players had been brought in with the idea of knitting those 2 into a team, maybe we would be better off now. There won't be any Grealish/Lukaku style mega deals, and I'd say the days of Maguire-esque deals are done. We need too many players, and ETH will have a few names in his coat pocket.

didz

Many seem to believe we'll only be going for young players, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ten Hag is keen to bring in a couple of more experienced players as well.

For one thing, we're obviously losing a lot of PL experience all at once; we're losing a league winner, a WC winner, etc. Yeah they've got to go, but it is a void to be filled regardless.

But for another, didn't Ten Hag's arrival at Ajax coincide with the slight change to their recruitment policy? You wouldn't previously have expected them to be going after players like Blind, Tadic and Haller, but under Ten Hag, they did.

One or two more seasoned players, particularly those who can hit the ground running, could be on the cards if the price is right. For all the "give him loads of time" talk, he's an ambitious manager who will want to secure CL football as fast as possible.

RoyH1

I think they forgot a zero there. There's no way ten Hag accepts the job if he doesn't have a decent transfer kitty.