Álvaro Fernandez | 2023/24 Performances

The Irish Connection

Don't understand why we are looking at LB's when there's a perfectly good young one in this guy to give a chance to. Really don't get the line of thinking, why aren't we giving almost any young players a chance, he got player of the season on loan. Granted it wasn't at a Premier League club but what more can you do to show you should at least be given a chance? If i'm him, given the reports tonight, i'm looking for a way out immediately, it's just crazy considering we only gotta wait a couple months for Shaw and we still need a new signing in Midfield and Attack
I agree, he deserves a chance.

frookydinho

At 2-2 with Forest down to 10, really thought its the perfect chance to bring on a young attacking left back for Dalot. But no

luke511

I thought he looked the most comfortable out of our full backs playing the inverted FB role in pre season, would be great to see him given the opportunity before getting the likes of Marcus Alonso or Reguilon in.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I thought he looked the most comfortable out of our full backs playing the inverted FB role in pre season, would be great to see him given the opportunity before getting the likes of Marcus Alonso or Reguilon in.
feck that, convicted killer.

Marcus

He seems to have Daley Blind kind of speed. Not sure if he has the positional awareness to make up for that. Even Blind was exposed so much as a LB and became better as a CB. But Alvaro seems to have great passing range and technique.

RedDevilQuebecois

He seems to have Daley Blind kind of speed. Not sure if he has the positional awareness to make up for that. Even Blind was exposed so much as a LB and became better as a CB. But Alvaro seems to have great passing range and technique.
Couldn't care any less about speed. Football no longer has a place for mindless speed merchants on the wings anymore, whether on the attack or at the back.

That being said, any attempt to move away another kid with potential is another example of Ten Hag showing open distrust towards our kids. How much more does a kid need to do to have a shot with the team?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The way we treat our youngster this summer has been a disgrace. I hope he leaves and has a good career elsewhere.

garelo

for a former ajax manager, ETH seems hesistant to give academy youngsters a chance. Fernandez was good in pre-season, ditto with Gore yet they werent given even a single minute considering how lackluster our performance in last 3 games have been.

Based Adnan

Should be banging on the door demanding to leave if the rumours of Alonso/Regulion/Cucurella/Henry are true

lex talionis

I’d be really disappointed in United if we brought in a LB and put Fernandez out on loan — au revoir baby — especially when we really need a midfielder vastly more than we do a LB.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Should be banging on the door demanding to leave if the rumours of Alonso/Regulion/Cucurella/Henry are true
He is going on loan isn't he?
Also apparently, both Malacia and Shaw are out till around December, and Shaws injury does sound a bit troubling if its related to his previously fractured leg

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I’d be really disappointed in United if we brought in a LB and put Fernandez out on loan — au revoir baby — especially when we really need a midfielder vastly more than we do a LB.
Especially when the LB is going to be Cthulurella or something. He's not good and he'll come on a loan that he probably doesn't want after having a rough start at Chelsea. Going to be another Weghorst that guy, at least Weghorst wanted the move.

Rossa

Couldn't care any less about speed. Football no longer has a place for mindless speed merchants on the wings anymore, whether on the attack or at the back.

That being said, any attempt to move away another kid with potential is another example of Ten Hag showing open distrust towards our kids. How much more does a kid need to do to have a shot with the team?
Completely disagree. Defenders are by default getting more athletic than previously. Against Wolves, we were standing a high line and Neto broke through on the midfield line. If it was any other defender than Shaw in that situation, Neto would have been clean through on goal.

If you play a high line, as ETH seems to prefer, then you need fast defenders. Terry was terribly exposed when Villas Boas set a higher line, and when Mourinho took over, Terry magically reverted to being great again. Walker is extremely important for the way City set-up as he basically shuts down any counter attack down his flank and down the center.

It depends on the football you want to play, but look at TAA and how he struggles one on one against pacy players. They simply accelerate away from him. It's one thing if you are brilliant positionally and you are very strong, but do we have evidence that Alvaro have any of those? With Varane out, we are looking at a defense of AWB, Lindelof, Martinez and Alvaro - not much recovery pace there...

Dannn411

The second Cucurella or whoever is signed on loan, I would immediately demand a permanent exit if I was him or his agent. I would not leave my career in the hands of our management if I was him. They will destroy it. There is no excuse whatsoever to not at least allow him an opportunity to show he is worthy of a first team place. I do not care if the only prior experience he had was in the conference league north. To not give him a chance in this situation is the biggest slap in the face an up and coming young player can get. You are basically saying he is not even fourth choice left back. All that talk of bedding him in and giving him time and him not being ready is utter nonsense. He already went on loan to the championship and performed admirably. You can never know if he is ready or not if you have never even played him in a competitive first team match.

Bondi77

Didn't Arthur Albiston make his debut at LB in a FA Cup final and was POTM

RedDevilQuebecois

The second Cucurella or whoever is signed on loan, I would immediately demand a permanent exit if I was him or his agent. I would not leave my career in the hands of our management if I was him. They will destroy it. There is no excuse whatsoever to not at least allow him an opportunity to show he is worthy of a first team place. I do not care if the only prior experience he had was in the conference league north. To not give him a chance in this situation is the biggest slap in the face an up and coming young player can get. You are basically saying he is not even fourth choice left back. All that talk of bedding him in and giving him time and him not being ready is utter nonsense. He already went on loan to the championship and performed admirably. You can never know if he is ready or not if you have never even played him in a competitive first team match.
This.

I never bought the narrative of bedding a kid in or any other bullshit that justifies not giving him a serious opportunity in the current set of circumstances. Just as I wrote in a different thread, you throw the kid in the deep end and then you will make a decision after we have had enough time to properly judge him. This is how things have always been done at Ajax and at Barcelona before they decide what to do next with each and every single academy hopeful in a position to play senior level football.

Idxomer

For people who want to know how he's doing, he played 24 minutes in his first two games. His team conceded a goal from his side each time. He was an unused sub today.

Also, is his contract really up next year or was it renewed and not announced?

Idxomer

Played the 2nd half today with Granada coming back from 3 goals down to draw.

He could've won the game at the end but his the post.

marktan

Not seen him play before but watching the Barca game and by chance he's making his starting debut.

I've been surprised, he's big and very athletic, gets across to tackle really fast and has won numerous duels. Composed on the ball at feet but final ball lacking a bit. He reminds me a little of a young Sergio Ramos playing fullback.

Borninthe80ts

Interesting update as it was dynamic play that some including me thought he may have been lacking currently. Also quite the reverse on the final ball as crossing and passing for me are his main attributes.

The comparison to Sergio is also similar to my thinking on his profile. I can see him as a central player in the future.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Not seen him play before but watching the Barca game and by chance he's making his starting debut.

I've been surprised, he's big and very athletic, gets across to tackle really fast and has won numerous duels. Composed on the ball at feet but final ball lacking a bit. He reminds me a little of a young Sergio Ramos playing fullback.
Same. Literally didn't know it was him until they showed a close up and I thought wait wtf I've seen this guy before.

Good performance so far.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Made sense to send him out at the time, but he'd be starting for us now if he'd stayed

Great to see he's forced his way into the team at Granada

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Made sense to send him out at the time, but he'd be starting for us now if he'd stayed

Great to see he's forced his way into the team at Granada
Much better environment to be in right now for his development though. He'd be under immense pressure in our current form and set up.

Happy to see potentially another successful loan.

Velvet Revolver

That’s quite high praise. Hoping he lives up to it

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He's playing on the left of an attacking 3, in the Rashford role, while he can do a job there I still maintain the best from him will be seen in a wing back position with 3 defenders but it looks like he will get good minutes this year and hopefully compete, I'd recall him in Jan if our defensive left side injuries haven't improved.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Anyone watched him this month? I see he started the last game but only sub in others - wondering if he's playing more defence or midfield

Has been starting regularly for Spain U21s this season, which is good to see

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Made his second start for Benfica in their Europa League playoff against Toulouse on Thursday. Played 59 minutes, not a clue on how he did.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I like this dude. I think he’s got another big move left in him. We need a feeder club like city have. Why not unless they ban it? Guaranteed first team exposure in a top or top-ish league for a loanee is the best apprenticeship you can ever have. It’s in their interests to play the player because it’s all part of the same financial eco system.

prateik

I like this dude. I think he’s got another big move left in him. We need a feeder club like city have. Why not unless they ban it? Guaranteed first team exposure in a top or top-ish league for a loanee is the best apprenticeship you can ever have. It’s in their interests to play the player because it’s all part of the same financial eco system.
That would be Nice.