Ángel Di María | Transferred to PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

IwatUwat

I was backing him to be really really good next year back to his prime. Im hoping he stays and shows that, he's suited to the prem when in form.

I completely agree Feb - May was embarrassing for him, he was terrible, but dont like the idea of selling our record signing after a year especially at a loss.

Classical Mechanic

I was backing him to be really really good next year back to his prime. Im hoping he stays and shows that, he's suited to the prem when in form.

I completely agree Feb - May was embarrassing for him, he was terrible, but dont like the idea of selling our record signing after a year especially at a loss.
In football accounting transfer fees are amortised over the course of the contract. If that is the case then the fees quoted would not be a loss.

crossy1686

career ending
BEin Sports are reporting that United and PSG have stopped talking, regarding the Di Maria transfer of course. PSG are owned by the same people who own BEin Sports. The plot thickens!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
BEin Sports are reporting that United and PSG have stopped talking, regarding the Di Maria transfer of course. PSG are owned by the same people who own BEin Sports. The plot thickens!
I'm not sure how it is possible but I have been told that only Bein France have inside knowledge, Bein Qatar aren't in the loop.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

I also believe that he will come good. Have him play with a proper midfield behind him, less shoehorning upfront, and he will deliver. I can see us still struggling to create chances next season so a player like ADM would be extremely important. He's just too good to sell after one season

IwatUwat

In football accounting transfer fees are amortised over the course of the contract. If that is the case then the fees quoted would not be a loss.
If he is sold there is no contract. However you look at it, if we sell a player for less than we buy a player there is a loss

SirFergie

Funny how now, given the possibility he could be sold, he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Even though we looked better without him last season and the 6 game winning streak near the end of the season disproves peoples so called bullshit theories about him being the only one with the so called 'x factor'. What a load of bollocks.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The more I watch us play this pre season the more I think we should keep him. . we need pace and flair badly in this side. Depay, Pereira are the only attackers we have with that bit of elite level ability to take a gameby the scruff of its neck.. run at players and commit them, everyone else just plays it safe and fails to inject any tempo.
If the relationship between Di Maria and Van Gaal is not great and Di Maria still can not adopt Van Gaal philosophy, then there is no point in keeping him. He would be backup to Ashley Young and mata. Van Gaal needs to approach the way he managed Di Maria differently if he was to stay. At Argentina, he has a manager that believes in him and even gave him the captaincy in the last copa America. Because of that belief, Di Maria had an great tournament and help them to the final.

United is better of selling him and getting Pedro who is used to a philosophy similar to Van Gaal. Di Maria is a great player, but not a Van Gaal type player. If he stays next season, I can see his value further depreciating unless Van Gaal change his approach with Di Maria.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If the relationship between Di Maria and Van Gaal is not great and Di Maria still can not adopt Van Gaal philosophy, then there is no point in keeping him. He would be backup to Ashley Young and mata. Van Gaal needs to approach the way he managed Di Maria differently if he was to stay. At Argentina, he has a manager that believes in him and even gave him the captaincy in the last copa America. Because of that belief, Di Maria had an great tournament and help them to the final.

United is better of selling him and getting Pedro who is used to a philosophy similar to Van Gaal. Di Maria is a great player, but not a Van Gaal type player. If he stays next season, I can see his value further depreciating unless Van Gaal change his approach with Di Maria.
FWIW I agree but we need to bring in not just Pedro but another top player in attack to really give us presence going forwards.

Amadaeus

FWIW I agree but we need to bring in not just Pedro but another top player in attack to really give us presence going forwards.
In my opinion Pedro is a top player. He has tough competition ahead of him and he still manage to perform adequately for Barcelona without the consistency of game time.

However, I do understand where you are coming from. A front three of Pedro/Mata -Rooney - Depay may not seem that exciting, but signing top players does not always guarantee you success. Having a balanced team that are able to form a close bond together should be our priority and will have us playing better football.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
If we could get £50m for him, we should snap there hands off really.

Just hope we splash on a top player to replace him (e.g. Reus).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
In my opinion Pedro is a top player. He has tough competition ahead of him and he still manage to perform adequately for Barcelona without the consistency of game time.

However, I do understand where you are coming from. A front three of Pedro/Mata -Rooney - Depay may not seem that exciting, but signing top players does not always guarantee you success. Having a balanced team that are able to form a close bond together should be our priority and will have us playing better football.
Rooney is the problem for me, no matter what combination you come up with. . he will make the trio less dangerous in reality due to the fact he isn't as dynamic as he once was. If we had a striker who could create chances on his own and take men on, Pedro-CF-Depay would be tasty on paper.

itso 7

Also if we are looking to play 4-3-3 or any of it's variants that involves using a lone striker then Pedro-Rooney-Depay is a frontline that suits our purposes better because as a trio there are prolific in their own right. All the players are goal scorers and very good in link up play, if we could get Mata going in the hole, that front four could do wonders for us.

clarkydaz

in a nutshell

Cristiano Jonaldo

Lawyer Here!
ADM irritates the living feck out of me. We KNOW he's world class, and some of his performances with RM were sublime. Yet he hasn't been close to that player for us.

If he went to PSG I'm convinced he'd be amazing for them, which is why I want him to stay to see whether he could possibly do it for us first.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
ADM irritates the living feck out of me. We KNOW he's world class, and some of his performances with RM were sublime. Yet he hasn't been close to that player for us.

If he went to PSG I'm convinced he'd be amazing for them, which is why I want him to stay to see whether he could possibly do it for us first.
That's pretty much what every Madrid fan said last season. He's a very flattering player when on form but his bottom level can be ridiculously bad, a lot like Rooney.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
They don't know shit sadly.
It has already been reported that PSG can't spend freely this summer, it's very well possible they cannot afford/don't want to pay what we ask for Di Maria. BEin is much more reliable than the other sources claiming a Di Maria deal is close.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It has already been reported that PSG can't spend freely this summer, it's very well possible they cannot afford/don't want to pay what we ask for Di Maria. BEin is much more reliable than the other sources claiming a Di Maria deal is close.
TBH so far every story I here BEin breaking is wrong. Pep to city, I think they reported Di Maria to PSG last summer to, announced both as done deals.

JPRouve

Scout
One thing is sure, Bein aren't more reliable than the other sources.

Thisistheone

The more I watch us play this pre season the more I think we should keep him. . we need pace and flair badly in this side. Depay, Pereira are the only attackers we have with that bit of elite level ability to take a gameby the scruff of its neck.. run at players and commit them, everyone else just plays it safe and fails to inject any tempo.
Definitely agree with you. Watching the match Tuesday i was thinking exactly that. We need someone who can carry the ball and beat a man, someone who can break at pace and be dynamic, make things happen because as solid as we're looking, we are definitely lacking a spark currently.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I think it would be really stupid and short sighted to sell him. He still lead us in assists last season despite being a sub a lot and being injured and playing poorly.

Amadaeus

Rooney is the problem for me, no matter what combination you come up with. . he will make the trio less dangerous in reality due to the fact he isn't as dynamic as he once was. If we had a striker who could create chances on his own and take men on, Pedro-CF-Depay would be tasty on paper.
Yea I was about to echo the same sentiment, but then I taught Rooney needs to be giving a chance as the main striker before I end up looking really stupid before we see what he is capable of. In my perfect world, I would take Harry Kane over Rooney and that front three will be promising base of what Kane accomplish last season and his potential. Moreover, I would keep Di Maria because his creativity will be beneficial for a striker like Kane.

Also if we are looking to play 4-3-3 or any of it's variants that involves using a lone striker then Pedro-Rooney-Depay is a frontline that suits our purposes better because as a trio there are prolific in their own right. All the players are goal scorers and very good in link up play, if we could get Mata going in the hole, that front four could do wonders for us.
Yea, but I rather have Di Maria over Mata in the hole as he is more creative, an attribute that could complement those front three who are more of a goalscorer than they are a playmaker. However, Mata will link up much better with the front three, so it is really all about preference.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
One thing is sure, Bein aren't more reliable than the other sources.
Not even on PSG? I thought they were at least semi-reliable on them, wasn't talking about their other articles.

They can't be worse than the other sources claiming Di Maria is off though? BEin could well be right and at the moment I'm more inclined to believe them because of PSG their financial situation. Without them selling Zlatan for a big fee I can't see how they could afford Di Maria. That might happen though, Zlatan is being linked to Italian clubs for a while now.

Kostur

海尔的老板
They've been obsessed with Di Maria for last two summers, always reporting all kind of shit that's linking PSG to any player, whether it's an arrival or departure and hardly ever it's truth. So far I'd say that canal+ seem to be the most accurate from French sources (they've went with Schneiderlin coming to us when he was linked to Arsenal everywhere).

JPRouve

Scout
Not even on PSG? I thought they were at least semi-reliable on them, wasn't talking about their other articles.

They can't be worse than the other sources claiming Di Maria is off though? BEin could well be right and at the moment I'm more inclined to believe them because of PSG their financial situation. Without them selling Zlatan for a big fee I can't see how they could afford Di Maria. That might happen though, Zlatan is being linked to Italian clubs for a while now.
I'm gonna make a simple summary, in France the media said that PSG wanted him a lot and that Di Maria already agreed on a contract, that's it, nothing else. The price comes from The Guardian and the british press, the french media all hinted that PSG didn't made an offer and that they didn't know when or for how much he would go but they said that PSG were hopeful to close the deal before august. Though they did used clickbait titles.

Edit: LeParisien yesterday said that Letang, the DOF, met with United officials in London Monday and that the negotiations were good and that the transfer could be closed for more than 60m€.

matt23

I don't really mind either way. Agree with those saying they'd prefer to have players who want to be here and are therefor more likely to work their arses off to get back into the team when things go against them. I think we saw this with Young last season.

I don't think we can lose anyway. He either stays, in which case he's presumably made a commitment to the manager to give everything to get back to his previous form, accept his philosophy and all that jazz or he goes, in which case it would probably be fair to assume we were more than wiling to release him due to his incompatibility with LvG's requirements and/or his wife's beef with Manchester.

SATA

He's joining up with the squad on 25 July which is just a couple of days away. Pretty sure he's going to stay otherwise it'll be pointless for him to fly to the States. Well, unless he's there to put his signature to paper as PSG are there too

Roman Bellic

Prick
He's joining up with the squad on 25 July which is just a couple of days away. Pretty sure he's going to stay otherwise it'll be pointless for him to fly to the States. Well, unless he's there to put his signature to paper as PSG are there too
Doesn't really have a choice, unless he wants to pull a Sterling.

Dominos

I'm not sure where everyone is getting their information from. Everyone's an expert on what's happening with Di Maria despite there being no news from any reliable source from what I've seen, other than Van Gaal saying "it's a process", which is his new catchphrase answer for every single question he's asked, about anything.

If he does go it'll just go to show how dumb our transfer strategy was last year, despite everyone creaming themselves over it. Most of our signings had nothing to do with anything other than Woodward thinking he was cheating at Championship Manager. It was a waste of a year and we've spent most of this summer signing or trying to sign players we needed a year ago...although at least that's what we're actually doing this time around, and actually made a noticable effort to tie things up as much as possible in time for pre-season.

Also, I'm fine with him staying, but I can't say I'd exactly be devastated to lose him either. He has bags of talent but he makes Nani look consistent and intelligent. No way he's someone you can rely on to build a team around. One week he'll be winning the game on his own, the next he's catching the ball to take a throw in when it hasn't gone off the pitch, or clawing referees in the back, or repeatedly attempting to cross the ball into the box, from the centre of the pitch. We have far too many stupid players already to accomodate this level of idiocy. He is definitely not a £65m player. He was routinely outperformed by Ashley Young.
Every UK newspaper has reported Woodward has met with PSG, from the same journalists Woodward was pictured meeting with on the US tour. Also every French news outlet has reported the same... You're being contrary for the sake of it.

How do Shaw, Herrera, Rojo and Blind fit into you're theory? We needed a new left back with Evra opting to leave - signed Shaw. Since we last signed a midfielder we'd lost Hargreaves, Giggs and Scholes and there were massive questions over Cleverley/Anderson/Fletcher who later left (unsurprisingly), we needed a new central midfielder and we got one in Herrera. Blind was a Van Gaal request clearly as we only had 1 DM in the squad in Carrick, and we also had no other left backs in the squad after Buttner left, so we needed cover/competition for Shaw. Rojo was signed because we'd lost Vidic and Rio at the same time and were short on numbers at CB, as well as Van Gaal's desire for a left footed CB.

Given how things turned out, Di Maria and Falcao I'll have to give you but there's always some logic to adding quality players to your squad, especially ones which have been name checked by your manager as a top class wing player which the squad's lacking in (Di Maria). To spend that amount on a player and the manager to then decide he's not what he needs/likes after 1 season is a bit of a joke to be honest, as much as the Caf would like to blame it all on Di Maria being a big girl, it's just poor management from both the football and business side of the club.

2 is not a majority though, obviously.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Every UK newspaper has reported Woodward has met with PSG, from the same journalists Woodward was pictured meeting with on the US tour. Also every French news outlet has reported the same... You're being contrary for the sake of it.
And what are these reports based on, other than someone making it up and then the others all copying them? This happens every bloody year with something or other and this place gets its knickers in a twist about it. It must be true because loads of people who make stuff up are reporting it?...no, it's true when either the player or one of the two clubs involved confirm there is truth in it. All we know is that LVG isn't sure if Di Maria will stay...that's it. That's all you've got to go on. I'd like him to stay and prove himself but he's definitely not key to anything at the moment...he couldn't even get in the team towards the end of last season, so Van Gaal's stance makes sense.

How do Shaw, Herrera, Rojo and Blind fit into you're theory? We needed a new left back with Evra opting to leave - signed Shaw. Since we last signed a midfielder we'd lost Hargreaves, Giggs and Scholes and there were massive questions over Cleverley/Anderson/Fletcher who later left (unsurprisingly), we needed a new central midfielder and we got one in Herrera. Blind was a Van Gaal request clearly as we only had 1 DM in the squad in Carrick, and we also had no other left backs in the squad after Buttner left, so we needed cover/competition for Shaw. Rojo was signed because we'd lost Vidic and Rio at the same time and were short on numbers at CB, as well as Van Gaal's desire for a left footed CB.

Given how things turned out, Di Maria and Falcao I'll have to give you but there's always some logic to adding quality players to your squad, especially ones which have been name checked by your manager as a top class wing player which the squad's lacking in (Di Maria). To spend that amount on a player and the manager to then decide he's not what he needs/likes after 1 season is a bit of a joke to be honest, as much as the Caf would like to blame it all on Di Maria being a big girl, it's just poor management from both the football and business side of the club.

2 is not a majority though, obviously.
Herrera and Shaw were targetted before Van Gaal arrived. We even tried to sign Herrera a year earlier, so there was definitely no input from Van Gaal there. Di Maria and Falcao were not players we needed, and left us with an impossible task in terms of fitting all of the big names into the line up...which partly led to our habbit of playing idiotic counter productive formations for over half the season. Rojo and Blind I did say were Van Gaal signings, though according to Phil Neville, Rojo was a potential target before Van Gaal was there. So arguably only Blind was really a Van Gaal singing.

So we signed 6 players and only at best a couple of them was picked or properly approved by our manager. That's not productive at all. It's all well and good saying "we needed a midfielder", "we needed a left back" etc...Different managers want different types of players to play in these roles. We've seen Van Gaal take a disliking to players like Rafael, and even to an extent Herrera and Shaw. Herrera was not used effectivelly for a majority of last season...in fact of our signings I don't think any were used all that effectively (though in a couple of cases that was at least partly due to injury)

Our signings last summer on the whole made me think "this doesn't make any sense, we're screwing ourselves over"...it was a mess. At the end of August it was very easy to predict the problems we'd have. e.g. playing attacking players in stupid roles just to find room for them, not having an effective midfield, lack of reliable defensive cover, no fullbacks, etc. We went into the summer without any kind of plan at all and it showd very clearly. I was baffled by the euphoria on here.

This time we've signed players we need in positions we need them in, and who the manager will have known about well in advance. It means that a) our signings have made 100% more sense, and b) there's no excuse for Van Gaal if he fails to figure out how to use them properly. I would expect us to be noticablly stronger this season as a result of who weve brought in, but do think we need a striker quite desperately.

I agree with the last point about Di Maria, but the blame for that rests largely with Woodward/the club for me. Spending a record fee on a player after feck all research or input from the person who would be managing them just doesn't seem very wise. I think Di Maria's effort levels have been fine on the pitch, I don't know where alll the stuff about him throwing in the towel has come from. I just don't think he played or adapted particularly well, and was so brainless on the pitch it was actually a noticable handicap to the entire team at times. A second season might do him good, you never know...I also think a move might do him good. It is bizarre to me that everyone wants to pretend and talk like he's already buggered off to PSG and to presume it is because he's a coward. Why not just listen to what Van Gaal has said about it? He doesn't exactly hold back the truth on things.

Manny

Grammar Police
I thought he was supposed to be a PSG player by last weekend...

Dominos

And what are these reports based on, other than someone making it up and then the others all copying them? This happens every bloody year with something or other and this place gets its knickers in a twist about it. It must be true because loads of people who make stuff up are reporting it?...no, it's true when either the player or one of the two clubs involved confirm there is truth in it. All we know is that LVG isn't sure if Di Maria will stay...that's it. That's all you've got to go on. I'd like him to stay and prove himself but he's definitely not key to anything at the moment...he couldn't even get in the team towards the end of last season, so Van Gaal's stance makes sense.

Herrera and Shaw were targetted before Van Gaal arrived. We even tried to sign Herrera a year earlier, so there was definitely no input from Van Gaal there. Di Maria and Falcao were not players we needed, and left us with an impossible task in terms of fitting all of the big names into the line up...which partly led to our habbit of playing idiotic counter productive formations for over half the season. Rojo and Blind I did say were Van Gaal signings, though according to Phil Neville, Rojo was a potential target before Van Gaal was there. So arguably only Blind was really a Van Gaal singing.

So we signed 6 players and only at best a couple of them was picked or properly approved by our manager. That's not productive at all. It's all well and good saying "we needed a midfielder", "we needed a left back" etc...Different managers want different types of players to play in these roles. We've seen Van Gaal take a disliking to players like Rafael, and even to an extent Herrera and Shaw. Herrera was not used effectivelly for a majority of last season...in fact of our signings I don't think any were used all that effectively (though in a couple of cases that was at least partly due to injury)

Our signings last summer on the whole made me think "this doesn't make any sense, we're screwing ourselves over"...it was a mess. At the end of August it was very easy to predict the problems we'd have. e.g. playing attacking players in stupid roles just to find room for them, not having an effective midfield, lack of reliable defensive cover, no fullbacks, etc. We went into the summer without any kind of plan at all and it showd very clearly. I was baffled by the euphoria on here.

This time we've signed players we need in positions we need them in, and who the manager will have known about well in advance. It means that a) our signings have made 100% more sense, and b) there's no excuse for Van Gaal if he fails to figure out how to use them properly. I would expect us to be noticablly stronger this season as a result of who weve brought in, but do think we need a striker quite desperately.

I agree with the last point about Di Maria, but the blame for that rests largely with Woodward/the club for me. Spending a record fee on a player after feck all research or input from the person who would be managing them just doesn't seem very wise. I think Di Maria's effort levels have been fine on the pitch, I don't know where alll the stuff about him throwing in the towel has come from. I just don't think he played or adapted particularly well, and was so brainless on the pitch it was actually a noticable handicap to the entire team at times. A second season might do him good, you never know...I also think a move might do him good. It is bizarre to me that everyone wants to pretend and talk like he's already buggered off to PSG and to presume it is because he's a coward. Why not just listen to what Van Gaal has said about it? He doesn't exactly hold back the truth on things.
We knew we were signing all our recruits this summer days before it was confirmed by the club, due to media reports. You're far too cool to discuss anything United related until it's official, well done to you - some of us want to discuss the possibility of Di Maria leaving if that's alright with you. There's taking a transfer rumour from the Sun with a pinch of salt then there's denying the validity of widespread reports from reputable sources just for the sake of being a contrary bellend.

Van Gaal had met with Woodward to discuss transfer targets before the world cup. He knew the positions he wanted to strengthen and approved any signing we made.

"Shaw and Herrera were already on the list. I gave my approval because I like them."
The club's scouting system will have been aware of any player we signed, that's their job. Van Gaal had studied Rojo in the world cup where he said he was very impressed and so requested his purchase.
The state of our wingers last summer were beyond shite. Van Gaal said as much early last summer when he admitted "we don't have top class wide players such as Di Maria" - this was weeks before we signed him. The signing has not worked but to say we didn't need him is strange, he was a signing of a highly rated player in an area of weakness. If Van Gaal gave the go ahead to sign players that he wasn't sure about that is his fault - he will never have a player forced on him against his will. Although I'd say the bigger crime is not being sure on players in the first place. A manager at the top echelons of European football should have a good knowledge of the market and the players we should be targeting. It's shades of Moyes dithering over Thiago because he wasn't sure he'd scouted him enough.

prarek

Done deal then? Im not happy. Since when did we start giving up on a player after one bloody season when most of the team were awful. :(

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I guess he just wasn't enjoying life at United...

It's annoying as we could have done with a peak-Di Maria, a player we didn't really see last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.