İlkay Gündoğan

Status
Not open for further replies.

prarek

Gundogan and Hummels would be great signings. I hope we get both.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No idea how he has done since coming back from injury, haven't watched much of Dortmund this season really. If it's anything like his pre-injury form or if he can get close to it in a working system though, :drool:
Would be a brilliant Carrick replacement. Has the passing range and can play a forward pass really well, but is more dynamic while still being good defensively.

Our potential line up if this article from the mail ( I know) and others are to be believed could be quite brilliant to watch...

De Gea
Valencia Hummels Smalling Shaw
Blind
Herrera Gundogan
Mata Rooney Di Maria​

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If fit and on form he'd provide an entirely new dimension to that inside left channel Fellaini is currently occupying. However he's lost a lot of the bounce and dynamism since his injury. Back injuries are notoriously hard to heal so may be he'll be back to his best soon. For 15 mil, we could do a lot worse.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
De Gea
Alves - Hummels - Marquinhos - Shaw
Carrick - Gundogan
Depay - Herrera/Mata - Di Maria
Rooney

:drool:

Danny Boi

Gundoga was my dream signing a couple seasons ago.I just don't see it working out now however.

Leg-End

I'd be taking a chance on him, very few players return firing on all cylinders after long spells out injured but this guy is the right age to recover and a fresh start might be just what he needs.

I don't believe newspaper figures for a second but if it truly was £15 million, thats absolutely nothing considering the upside.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good Lord - my favourite Dortmund player at United? I won't get my hopes up.
How has he been this season? Obviously Dortmund as a whole hasn't been great, but are there signs from him individually that he can get back to his best? Seems worth a punt at that price for sure. 50m for Hummels and Gundogan would improve our team no end IMO.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Ive seen a few games of his this year and he didnt look great, not awful but not the player he was... Were saying that at 24? He may pick it back up but he isnt what we need right now simply, we dont need any more question marks that may come good, most dont. We need to be moving for the top players and Gundogan currently isnt near that. Id rather we get a younger raw version with a higher ceiling if we are taking chances but ideally a player like Schneiderlin would be a similar position/age/price and player but would do far better here imo due to the fact we know he can perform in this league.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'd rather we didn't gamble on more players returning from long term injury.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
De Gea
Alves - Hummels - Marquinhos - Shaw
Carrick - Gundogan
Depay - Herrera/Mata - Di Maria
Rooney

:drool:
I wince everytime someone plays our most expensive player out of his best position, hes the left of a diamond or part of a midfield 3...

I cant think of any great performances in his career from the wing

Brophs

The One and Only
The article is oddly written. It's all about what he expects to happen, which isn't the way they usually write these things. It either suggests someone close to him has been talking or the reporter has decided to mix up his preferred method of bullshit dissemination.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Its just his opinion, no quotes daily mail, nothing to see here
The article is oddly written. It's all about what he expects to happen, which isn't the way they usually write these things. It either suggests someone close to him has been talking or the reporter has decided to mix up his preferred method of bullshit dissemination.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Some highlights from this season:

I know it's the dailymail and no quotes, but i remember hearing rumours about him earlier this season with the same 15m figure and i don't see why we shouldn't have a thread about him.

An Irish Red

I wince everytime someone plays our most expensive player out of his best position, hes the left of a diamond or part of a midfield 3...

I cant think of any great performances in his career from the wing
He gives the ball away too much to play central midfield for us. Besides, there's no way Van Gaal would play him and Herrera centrally at the same time so he's better off on the wing.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He gives the ball away too much to play central midfield for us. Besides, there's no way Van Gaal would play him and Herrera centrally at the same time so he's better off on the wing.
Thats just not true.. When did he last play CM? How many games has he played next to a proper retention player like Carrick in a united shirt? I wouldnt guess too many, he did do well on the left of a diamond, and now Blind is LB i think it would be safe to play Carrick with ADM and Herrera at the sides with Fellaini at the top

the hea

Luxury signing if there ever was one. If we get him we still need another midfielder because there is no way we can trust him to stay fit with his history.

An Irish Red

Thats just not true.. When did he last play CM? How many games has he played next to a proper retention player like Carrick in a united shirt? I wouldnt guess too many, he did do well on the left of a diamond, and now Blind is LB i think it would be safe to play Carrick with ADM and Herrera at the sides with Fellaini at the top
We've moved on from the diamond now though, rightly so. In this system we need two defensively minded players (Carrick and Fellaini) in midfield. If we played Di Maria central he would replace Herrera and there's just no point to that. I'd far rather have the midfield three we have now (with Fellaini getting upgraded on in the summer) and play Di Maria as a winger. It makes more sense.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Based of current form, he will not get into our starting number 8 role over Herrera, but he would make a more than capable backup for him. However, I feel we should give that backup number 8 position to either perriera or Powell, to showcase we are still willing to give our youth player a chance to develop.

Nevertheless, I recalled that van Gaal wants a world class backup for each position. This signing would definetly ensure the possibility of that comment made by him.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Based of current form, he will not get into our starting number 8 role over Herrera, but he would make a more than capable backup for him. However, I feel we should give that backup number 8 position to either perriera or Powell, to showcase we are still willing to give our youth player a chance to develop.

Nevertheless, I recalled that van Gaal wants a world class backup for each position. This signing would definetly ensure the possibility of that comment made by him.
I agree with this, Herrera is starting to make our play tick and he becomes better and better at dictating games. Gundogan would be seen as a luxury signing as we already have a good number 8.
If he would fight with Herrera for that spot i would be all for it though :drool:

prarek

I agree with this, Herrera is starting to make our play tick and he becomes better and better at dictating games. Gundogan would be seen as a luxury signing as we already have a good number 8.
If he would fight with Herrera for that spot i would be all for it though :drool:
I think Gundogan can play the Carrick role. Carrick won't be around forever and i think Gundogan is more than capable of taking over in future. I have to say im not an expert on bundesliga though but from what i saw of Gundogan in the past in the champions league i was very impressed, actually reminded me a bit of Koke.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sure. Our last signing coming off the back of a career crippling injury worked just fine.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think he's worth the risk. If he can stay fit then he's good enough to be a nailed on starter for years to come, if he can't stay fit then he'll still be a quality player knocking around the fringes like Rosicky does at Arsenal.

He probably won't cost much and we spend like idiots anyway so.....

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Don't care that he's been injured severely, nor what kind of form he's currently in.

He was one of my muppet signings a few years ago. Lets get him.

I signed him on FIFA and destroyed everyone so obviously that's a sign.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Its just his opinion, no quotes daily mail, nothing to see here
It's pretty rare that any transfer story, true or not, has quotes.

Can't see it anyway. Maybe next summer if Carrick takes more of a backseat but we need more of an enforcer this summer.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I think Gundogan can play the Carrick role. Carrick won't be around forever and i think Gundogan is more than capable of taking over in future. I have to say im not an expert on bundesliga though but from what i saw of Gundogan in the past in the champions league i was very impressed, actually reminded me a bit of Koke.
Yeah, he certainly has the passing abilitys that Carrick possess. I don't think he has played the lone DM role behind 2 midfielders that often, but with his qualitys it probably wouldn't be a problem.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I don't see why we couldn't play them both.

Carrick sitting deep with Herrera and Gundogan playing ahead of him. Mata drifting in from the right and Di Maria out on the left. Sounds good to me.
I do not see why not either(particular away games), but Gundogan has not really recaptured his pre injury form to say he would walk right into our starting eleven.

Devil may care

I've seen quite a bit of him since he came back and there is still plenty of quality there and most of the attributes that made him such a top CM to begin with. The one aspect that is taking longer to return is the dynamic off the mark aspect of his game, but that may be a case of him being more defensive in his play given how much to Dortmund back-line has struggled this season. There has also been no sign of his back issues recurring.

If the price were really £15M I think he'd be worth the punt at the age he is and with the fact he can play as a #8 or a #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.