‘It was done in cold blood’ – Keane’s assault on Haaland’s dad, 20 years on - The Athletic

Oranges038

Recent... his 22 year old son is called a teenager... and Ole wasn't so grey it's obvious this is from a good few years ago.

norm87cro

Firstly, he had it coming and I really couldnt care less how Keane reacted. Secondly, Eduardos injury at the hands of Taylor in 08 (IMO it was clumsy not deliberate) and Shaws injury against PSV in 15 i think were much more horrific

Baneofthegame

We (United) shouldn’t talk much about spending:lol: City spends billions and have success, while United spends billions without success.

City definitely gets more value for the money and even more if we take wages into consideration
  • Against us they played with Akanji (€18m) and Ake (€45m). We played Martinez (€57m)and Varane (€40m+).
  • Diaz (€72) and Rodri (€63m) vs Maguire (€87m), Casemiro (€70m), Bruno (€63m).
  • Alvarez (€17m) vs Diallo and DVB:wenger:
Ok. City paid a lot for Grealish, but we didn’t pay that much less for Antony, and it’s not difficult to argue Grealish defends the difference (better and more proven player).

Malacia (€15m) was a descent transfer for us price wise, but again City paid €13m for Gomez.

So I suppose City has some billions left (compared with United) because of smarter transfers and lower wages - which they can spend on infrastructure and academy instead.
Yes, they have money left because of “smart transfers”.

Amir

But has that stopped United from spending as much as City? Its not as if United spent a lot on infrastructure and now they don't have money for players.
Forget City. Liverpool have spent less and still won a title, ran City close twice and got to the CL final three times.

People will use City's money as excuse, but it just doesn't work. We've been failing because we've been doing a shit job while having more than enough money to succeed.

Gordon Godot

Yes, they have money left because of “smart transfers”.
Its really not hard. City owners looked around and put the best people in world football in charge of the club. They then invested in basics, they started with training, youth system etc well before the mega transfers. Compare with what the Glazers did. The Glazers ownership has seen massive value destruction by this club. How or why they allowed this to happen is hard to explain, I think stupidity and complete indifference are top of the list.

Baneofthegame

Its really not hard. City owners looked around and put the best people in world football in charge of the club. They then invested in basics, they started with training, youth system etc well before the mega transfers. Compare with what the Glazers did. The Glazers ownership has seen massive value destruction by this club. How or why they allowed this to happen is hard to explain, I think stupidity and complete indifference are top of the list.
My point was clearly that regardless of transfer success they have a bear unlimited pool of money to draw from.

Although I agree that they certainly put a top structure in place which the Glazers seem to have a refusal to do.

Gordon Godot

My point was clearly that regardless of transfer success they have a bear unlimited pool of money to draw from.

Although I agree that they certainly put a top structure in place which the Glazers seem to have a refusal to do.
Sure, it may be unlimited but in abolute terms no more than Utd have spent. So its about how it was spent. I dont like their owners and their abuse of the system, but the real issue is how Glazers have squandered our money and brand. Everything else is a distraction

arthurka

We (United) shouldn’t talk much about spending:lol: City spends billions and have success, while United spends billions without success.

City definitely gets more value for the money and even more if we take wages into consideration
  • Against us they played with Akanji (€18m) and Ake (€45m). We played Martinez (€57m)and Varane (€40m+).
  • Diaz (€72) and Rodri (€63m) vs Maguire (€87m), Casemiro (€70m), Bruno (€63m).
  • Alvarez (€17m) vs Diallo and DVB:wenger:
Ok. City paid a lot for Grealish, but we didn’t pay that much less for Antony, and it’s not difficult to argue Grealish defends the difference (better and more proven player).

Malacia (€15m) was a descent transfer for us price wise, but again City paid €13m for Gomez.

So I suppose City has some billions left (compared with United) because of smarter transfers and lower wages - which they can spend on infrastructure and academy instead.
So you believe that City only pay the flat fee and the basic wages, ok then.
The Alfie myth keeps coming up, just this morning while they were talking about the recent Lars Lagerback interview https://www.svt.se/sport/fotboll/lars-lagerback-erling-braut-haaland again they kept repeating that Keane had ended Alfie´s career.
But according to Lars Lagerback Mini Alfie has most of his talents from his mother Gry Marita Braut.

Last edited:

GlasgowCeltic

Firstly, he had it coming and I really couldnt care less how Keane reacted. Secondly, Eduardos injury at the hands of Taylor in 08 (IMO it was clumsy not deliberate) and Shaws injury against PSV in 15 i think were much more horrific
ben thatcher the worst

Gordon Godot

So you believe that City only pay the flat fee and the basic wages, ok then.
It was clear from some of the leaked email that City avoided fair play rules and 'compensate' parents of young players. But I think your suggestion points at outright criminality and tax avoidance by the selling club. So nope

arthurka

It was clear from some of the leaked email that City avoided fair play rules and 'compensate' parents of young players. But I think your suggestion points at outright criminality and tax avoidance by the selling club. So nope
I did no such thing but the underline here is that by pressuring the parents and agents to move the asset for a handsome compensation things can happen at a remarkable speeds and fluidity.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Had never actually seen this tackle before. What was the reason for it anyway? Can't imagine he did it for no reason?

SirAF

Ageist
Just seen a recent interview with Alfie Haaland talking about Roy Keane. You can see he certainly blames Keane for effectively ending his career.

He mentions how he played for 8 years in a row without getting injured but after that tackle it was the last 90 minutes he’s ever played.

I’m interested to see if Erling Haaland blanks Roy Keane in these pitch side interviews sky have been doing ala Ronaldo on Carragher!

«Alfie» is full of shit. He confirmed himself years and years ago on his blog that Keane’s tackle was not the reason he had to retire - which is why he and City couldn’t sue Keane after he released his book.

feck Alfie Haaland.
This.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Had never actually seen this tackle before. What was the reason for it anyway? Can't imagine he did it for no reason?
There was another incident a couple of years before that, when Alfie was playing for Leeds, in which Keane snapped his ligament while challenging for the ball against Haaland. He basically stumbled on Haaland, who believed that Keane was faking it. Not only that, Alfie made his feelings known to Keane. Roy was seriously injured and, as far as i remember, Alfie never bothered to apologize for behaving like a dickhead. Which lead to the famous moment everybody's talking about. I never agreed with what Keane did back then, but i also believe that using your child's fame and success to score "sympathy points" against someone is the epitome of small-time. Especially when it was proven that Keane's tackle didn't end his career.

Polar

But according to Lars Lagerback Mini Alfie has most of his talents from his mother Gry Marita Braut.
Alfie’s strengths were his physical attributes: speed and power, and Erling’s mother was a descent heptathlete, and it seems like their strengths has been added up in Erling. So no reason to try to downplay Alfie’s role here:D

People who knows Lagerback and his sense of humour knew his comment was meant for Alfie in a funny way, but maybe also to give som credit to his mum (mums are often forgotten;))….. because why should Lagerback knows this?

BarstoolProphet

Good feature in The Athletic this week on the Haaland / Keane tackle.

Although this quote got me;

Apparently, he missed Ben Thatcher assaulting Pedro Mendes while he was playing for City or perhaps Michael Brown stamping on Ronaldo as he lay on the floor. What a ridiculous, hyperbole comment.

Ah, the same Bernstein who said he felt so offended by Rooney swearing into the camera so that he felt it deserved a suspension - the same Bernstein who did all those semi-controversial FCUK campaigns. He has a rep for creating mass hysteria when there's United player involved.

Chief123

Does the myth Keane's challenge ended that cnut's career still live on?
If you ask Alfie Haaland, he would say it isn’t a myth. Whichever way you look at it, his argument has some validity. He never got injured for 8 years. After that tackle he never played 90 mins again.

SirAF

Ageist
If you ask Alfie Haaland, he would say it isn’t a myth. Whichever way you look at it, his argument has some validity. He never got injured for 8 years. After that tackle he never played 90 mins again.
Like I said just a few posts up: he’s full of shit. Haaland confirmed himself that his career did not end because of *that* tackle - which is why he could not sue Keane later as he opportunistically wanted to after the release of Keane’s book. This information should be a sticky thread - fecking hell.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
This x100. How the heck that was not punished I have no clue. It was done with pure malice.

Real Name

Yes, Dudu nearly lost his leg, he would have lost it if it werent for a quick intervetion by Arsenal doctors.

Chief123

Like I said just a few posts up: he’s full of shit. Haaland confirmed himself that his career did not end because of *that* tackle - which is why he could not sue Keane later as he opportunistically wanted to after the release of Keane’s book. This information should be a sticky thread - fecking hell.
It might not have been due to the direct injury where the impact was made but like with a lot of major injuries, you can often end up with an imbalance in another part of the body which can lead to a series of other complications. I’ve experienced it myself after suffering a serious injury. Due to the injury, I ended up getting problems in my other leg because I was over compensating with balance.

Anyway, who knows.

SirAF

Ageist
It might not have been due to the direct injury where the impact was made but like with a lot of major injuries, you can often end up with an imbalance in another part of the body which can lead to a series of other complications. I’ve experienced it myself after suffering a serious injury. Due to the injury, I ended up getting problems in my other leg because I was over compensating with balance.

Anyway, who knows.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/2288164.stm

But since the initial incident Haaland has claimed on his personal website the tackle did not cause his long injury lay-off.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So many of you are hypocrite.

Off course Keane tackling his dad and clangered it in some bloody barbaric fashion matterf

For what it's worth i wont even let my son root for Liverpool, let alone play for the if he can choose any teams he wants to join, let alone if Stevie Starfish Gerrard made that tackle on me.

I'd make sure my son loathe them and wallow and put an extra 200% to hit it past then whenever he can.

But hey... Keep on being naive

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Do you honestly think the Haaland figures or other official figures are correct?
While the official figures may not be accurate, I don’t think they’re as far off from United. For example if official City spending is $1 billion, the unofficial is probably $1.2 billion. This should not make so much difference when spread across a decade. United don’t get value for money because you refuse to hire a world class sporting director - which I find so strange.

Maticmaker

There have been lots of feuds in the professional game, some like Keane on Haaland, was ongoing, Cantwell on Dave Mackay was instant revenge, these ended players careers. They were serious and 'dark' in many respects, and I suspect only the players involved know what truly happened.
However, there were some on-going feuds, like 'Chopper Harris' trying repeatedly to clatter George Best every time they met up, (famously on one occasion at OT trying to bring down Besty 2/3 times in a run he made from United's own penalty area almost the length of the pitch) that became almost laughable.

Obviously when TV camera's started to pick up (on the ball incidents) then things did settle down ... a bit!

Last edited:

Handré1990

So many of you are hypocrite.

Off course Keane tackling his dad and clangered it in some bloody barbaric fashion matterf

For what it's worth i wont even let my son root for Liverpool, let alone play for the if he can choose any teams he wants to join, let alone if Stevie Starfish Gerrard made that tackle on me.

I'd make sure my son loathe them and wallow and put an extra 200% to hit it past then whenever he can.

But hey... Keep on being naive
Not everybody is petty like you seem to be, no offence. Carrying a grudge for something like this for years is only causing hurt and problems for one person, you want to guess who that person is?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
He didn't sign for us because only ole wanted him and woody didn't.

NotThatSoph

Not everybody is petty like you seem to be, no offence. Carrying a grudge for something like this for years is only causing hurt and problems for one person, you want to guess who that person is?
Holding a grudge against a person for violently assaulting you isn't even unreasonable, let alone petty. It's also probably not something that costs a lot of mental energy, I doubt it affects him much. It's not like he goes around bringing it up unprompted, he's sometimes asked about it because of his son.

UDontMessWith24

Why does nobody ever bother to ask what kind of idiot spits on Roy Keane. Right or wrong, wtf did he think was going to happen?

Handré1990

Holding a grudge against a person for violently assaulting you isn't even unreasonable, let alone petty. It's also probably not something that costs a lot of mental energy, I doubt it affects him much. It's not like he goes around bringing it up unprompted, he's sometimes asked about it because of his son.
Read the post I quoted again, or don’t, makes no difference to me. If that’s a normal way to think, I guess I’m abnormal.

rajds89

Anyone else incredibly bored of hearing the same old story about this.. it happened years ago, get over it. I’m also growing tired of sky sports showing the bloke at every opportunity during a City game.. he’s living off his sons greatness now, shame on him.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So does hating a rival for years for something called "football"

Rivalry isn't rational, it's petty, we're all guilty of it. What has Liverpool have ever done to us directly?

Moriarty

There have been lots of feuds in the professional game, some like Keane on Haaland, was ongoing, Cantwell on Dave Mackay was instant revenge, these ended players careers. They were serious and 'dark' in many respects, and I suspect only the players involved know what truly happened.
However, there were some on-going feuds, like 'Chopper Harris' trying repeatedly to clatter George Best every time they met up, (famously on one occasion at OT trying to bring down Besty 2/3 times in a run he made from United's own penalty area almost the length of the pitch) that became almost laughable.

Obviously when TV camera's started to pick up (on the ball incidents) then things did settle down ... a bit!
Dave Mackay recovered and captained Tottenham in the 1967 FA Cup final. Best on Pardoe was a bad 'un but never deliberate. I was there that night when Martin Buchan wrecked Colin Bell's knee. Now that one near as damn it did finish Bell's career even though he made a comeback. He was a pale shadow of the player he had been.

Handré1990

So does hating a rival for years for something called "football"

Rivalry isn't rational, it's petty, we're all guilty of it. What has Liverpool have ever done to us directly?
If everything else was equal, I wouldn’t care if my son went to Liverpool or City, because believe it or not I’d want the best for him, no matter who kicked me 25 years ago.

As @Samid has pointed out repeatedly, Keane didn’t end Haaland Sr’s career, which he himself has confirmed. So it follows I would know this myself if I were Alf Haaland..

I don’t really hate Liverpool in the real sense of the word, if I’m going to hate someone I’d reserve that to someone who’s done some real evil. I dislike Liverpool, and City, but I don’t really care much about City. I dislike Liverpool because of the Evra/Suarez incident, and because they’re our closest rival in England when it comes to overall success.

Edit: It’s obvious by the way, how Haaland Sr is milking this new opportunity to market himself for everything it’s worth. Before Erling became famous I barely remembered he existed, he didn’t get TV expert jobs, he wasn’t used as an agent and journos certainly wasn’t running down his door.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If everything else was equal, I wouldn’t care if my son went to Liverpool or City, because believe it or not I’d want the best for him, no matter who kicked me 25 years ago.

As @Samid has pointed out repeatedly, Keane didn’t end Haaland Sr’s career, which he himself has confirmed. So it follows I would know this myself if I were Alf Haaland..

I don’t really hate Liverpool in the real sense of the word, if I’m going to hate someone I’d reserve that to someone who’s done some real evil. I dislike Liverpool, and City, but I don’t really care much about City. I dislike Liverpool because of the Evra/Suarez incident, and because they’re our closest rival in England when it comes to overall success.

Edit: It’s obvious by the way, how Haaland Sr is milking this new opportunity to market himself for everything it’s worth. Before Erling became famous I barely remembered he existed, he didn’t get TV expert jobs, he wasn’t used as an agent and journos certainly wasn’t running down his door.
We're not talking about killing or ending anyone's else career. Not choosing United isnt a criminal or morally wrong thing to do.

Haaland doesnt owe us anything. If all things being equal he could have chosen City because he doesnt like United guts. Nothing wrong with that. If I'm in Haaland shoe I'd pick United and can't wait to score against Liverpool. Football is tribal, you dont expect people having no biased preferences, all things being equal.

I'm not a Liverpool fans. I just prefer we being realistic instead of living in a dream land that Keane clattered his dad in cold blood fashion has no bearing AT ALL as if nothing happened.

Haaland sr. At least has the decency to give a politically correct statement. Cant say the same for Keane.

He's not gonna join us anyway.

scottser

Thatcher ran 50 yards with one sole intention. He made no effort for the ball and elbowed Mendez in the jaw at full tilt.
If that's not premeditated I don't know what is.
had a look at again on you tube - thatcher only got a yellow!