‘Successful’ scenarios for Summer ‘23

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Same for me, but I definitely think we need a backup DM.

That's 7 guys, though, so we're probably not doing that. So where can we wait a year?

-Keeper, I trust Heaton as a #2 and De Gea will start. Maybe we sign a young #2 and loan them out or keep them here as #2
-#2 striker, we can sign up Weghorst on a 2+1 on not crazy wages and just sell him in 2024
-Attacking RB, I would say we could probably wait a year, though Wan-Bissaka has 2 years left (one plus option year) so selling him now that he's regained some value and buying an attacking RB makes sense

So, like this I guess, just plugging in some names that seem plausible, not saying I do or don't rate them:

2024:
Ramos - #9
De Jong or Sabitzer or other guy - #8
(Midtable guy) - Backup DM
Frimpong - Attacking RB
Lacroix - RCB
Weghorst stays - Backup #9

So, that would be 2 big buys, a #9 and #8, then Frimpong, the RCB and DM would all be like 20-30M.
Maguire, McTominay, Martial, Jones, Telles, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Williams and Pellistri all sold, and loans for Elanga, Alvaro, Iqbal, Hannibal. Amad comes back. Mainoo stays as he's too young to leave and can get some cup minutes here and play for the U-21 now that Ten Hag has overhauled how we teach mids since he didn't rate Garner and can't be impressed with anything but McTominay's physical qualities as given by god and not his sense of how to play midfield as taught by Manchester United.
Oh we definitely aren’t plugging every gap in one summer. There’s no team that ever does that. It’s always a process - you fill four holes and one more pops up (ewww).

Personally I think that the next step for this team would be dominate games and that means using the ball better and having more players who can of form in tight spaces and play possession football. Somewhat like the step Arsenal have taken recently or Liverpool a few years back. And based on what I’ve seen Sabitzer in midfield leaves us short on the passing front between him Casemiro and Bruno (ignoring creative through passes). He may be a squad option but a proper playmaker is needed.

And the next or just as important a change would the GK. That’s ETHs next big call. I think De Gea is an all time great but the way football is progressed I do feel a keeper who can pass will elevate us to a different level (along with that playmaker). Of course the worry is that can we deal with a bedding in time that the new keeper may take ? It’s a big call but I really hope we don’t fail to take that step to becoming a to side that smothers teams due to DDG being the safe and comfortable choice

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The thing which worries me a lot is that we have biggest summer ahead in a while. We need to do 10 transfers (in and out). Also as this season proved, it is very important that those transfers are done in time.

I don't think that Murtough has ability to do all that.
How is it different from last summer?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How is it different from last summer?
Well, we failed to sell anything last summer so this summer we simply must do it because of many things (FFP, squad size, losing value on some player who will not be in ETH's plans).
Also, this summer is specific because we have everything set for real title challenge next year.

Hackman2210

Maguire out, Martial out, Wage bill down massively. Dont care who we bring in - ETH will get us some gems who we probably havent heard of. Looking forward to it.
I think a new RB may be incoming but I dont see us selling AWB, he's been immense since he came back in.
Sancho - out on loan maybe??

Woziak

Successful scenario
1. New Owners in by End of April 23

2. Glaziers finally completely leave the club no shares not even 0.001% no minority deals

3. We qualify for Champions league with 75-80 points and consolidate third position.

4. Any other trophies won are a huge bonus however if new owners take over in April this would be a great start if they are present if we win FA or Europa Cup

5. Evolutionary summer transfer window rather than revolutionary where ETH and the current Transfer Team led by John Murtourgh (Can’t believe I’m saying this!) look to move 7 or 8 players out and bring 4 or 5 players in.

6. We have reduce our wage bill and we must have a strong window as the new FFP rules will still remain 70% of revenue can be spent in wages, amortised transfer fees and capital expenditure Agents Fees, the year after this is increased to 80% and then 90% in season 25/26.

7. Sell Alex Teles (10m), E Bailey (10m), D Henderson (25m), B Williams (5m), S Mctominay (35m), H Maguire (30m), DVB(20m) - Total £120-125m

8. Loan out A Martial, H Mejbri, F Pellistri, A Elanga, A Dialo, Z IQbal, C Savage. We will not get loan fees for too many but we should be able to get clubs to pay their wages or in Antony Martial half. All the others need to play mens football and improve. The recent wage report was last year based on Ronaldo, Cavani etc and was £384m in a champions league season. It should be nearer to £285m this year because of the 25% Europa league clause.

9. If we sell at least 80% of that list and make sure young players are loaned early we should be able to have £100m on top of a new budget but it’s linked to the new 70% rule so club revenue for 22/23 season is £560m and our wages are £325m with the appointment of ETH then we would have about £67m amortised yearly plus agents fees and increased wages plus £100m on top if we sell so a realistic budget £200-250m potentially as high as £275-400m depending on agent fees and length of contracts without incurring FFP sanctions especially if the new owners make the club debt free.

10. Realistic transfer window and successful scenario are ETH buys his Sales Targets with (200-250m) ; CFW Osimhen (110m), M Kudas (45m), Kim Min Jae (45m), N Kante (Free) , Sabitzer (20m), Evan Ferguson (30-40m)

This would give us a more balanced squad with much needed experience can see N’golo Kante wanting a change and Chelsea won’t offer CL football, the desire to win the PL with 3 teams and regain his fitness, don’t think we need to change the right back situation but if Dalot or AWB left and Frimpong or Dumfries arrived it would not surprise me or concern me as ETH is the safest hands in the PL right now.

Erik the Red

Successful scenario
1. New Owners in by End of April 23

2. Glaziers finally completely leave the club no shares not even 0.001% no minority deals

3. We qualify for Champions league with 75-80 points and consolidate third position.

4. Any other trophies won are a huge bonus however if new owners take over in April this would be a great start if they are present if we win FA or Europa Cup

5. Evolutionary summer transfer window rather than revolutionary where ETH and the current Transfer Team led by John Murtourgh (Can’t believe I’m saying this!) look to move 7 or 8 players out and bring 4 or 5 players in.

6. We have reduce our wage bill and we must have a strong window as the new FFP rules will still remain 70% of revenue can be spent in wages, amortised transfer fees and capital expenditure Agents Fees, the year after this is increased to 80% and then 90% in season 25/26.

7. Sell Alex Teles (10m), E Bailey (10m), D Henderson (25m), B Williams (5m), S Mctominay (35m), H Maguire (30m), DVB(20m) - Total £120-125m

8. Loan out A Martial, H Mejbri, F Pellistri, A Elanga, A Dialo, Z IQbal, C Savage. We will not get loan fees for too many but we should be able to get clubs to pay their wages or in Antony Martial half. All the others need to play mens football and improve. The recent wage report was last year based on Ronaldo, Cavani etc and was £384m in a champions league season. It should be nearer to £285m this year because of the 25% Europa league clause.

9. If we sell at least 80% of that list and make sure young players are loaned early we should be able to have £100m on top of a new budget but it’s linked to the new 70% rule so club revenue for 22/23 season is £560m and our wages are £325m with the appointment of ETH then we would have about £67m amortised yearly plus agents fees and increased wages plus £100m on top if we sell so a realistic budget £200-250m potentially as high as £275-400m depending on agent fees and length of contracts without incurring FFP sanctions especially if the new owners make the club debt free.

10. Realistic transfer window and successful scenario are ETH buys his Sales Targets with (200-250m) ; CFW Osimhen (110m), M Kudas (45m), Kim Min Jae (45m), N Kante (Free) , Sabitzer (20m), Evan Ferguson (30-40m)

This would give us a more balanced squad with much needed experience can see N’golo Kante wanting a change and Chelsea won’t offer CL football, the desire to win the PL with 3 teams and regain his fitness, don’t think we need to change the right back situation but if Dalot or AWB left and Frimpong or Dumfries arrived it would not surprise me or concern me as ETH is the safest hands in the PL right now.
Would leave kudas and sabitzer and go for FDJ instead. Also, not convinced we will have that kind of budget, so Fergie may have to wait for a future window.

Not sure whether Kante is worth his salary, as he would expect massive wages, and I guess his level will have dropped significantly since I last saw him.

Woziak

Would leave kudas and sabitzer and go for FDJ instead. Also, not convinced we will have that kind of budget, so Fergie may have to wait for a future window.

Not sure whether Kante is worth his salary, as he would expect massive wages, and I guess his level will have dropped significantly since I last saw him.
Great back up though to Casemeiro and he’s only 32/33 (actually 31 now) so could have just played too much football in last decade and needed a season to rest, he’s 100% worth the risk on a free, Can’t see FDJ getting 15/20goal involvements in PL those two just might, FDJ is costing £85m and £500k per week !

Pughnichi

I’d just be happy with new ownership confirmed and in place…1 new striker and retain Sabitzer

our defence presently is looking good. Don’t necessarily mind Maguire as back up. You aren’t getting much better 3rd and 4th choice cbs than Lindelof and Maguire.

Our midfield is presently decent and with Eriksen back, Sabitzer retained and hopefully Hannibal can kick on and get some minutes. Similarly can Amad/Pellistri kick on and compete further forward

just need that striker

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If we’re talking about desperate need:
Striker - Kane (we’d win the league with him convince me otherwise)
CM - Any ball carrier ideally FDJ.

We can make do with the options we have elsewhere. I’d rather add two top quality players and have the rest be academy option or returners from loan.

ETH doesn’t rotate if he can avoid it so genuinely think improving 2 starters is far more important than any other transfers we could make.

De Gea
Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro FDJ
Bruno
Antony Kane Rashford​

That wins the league in my book.

GK - Can we reliably upgrade De Gea?
RB - Is there anyone comfortably better than Dalot in build up and better 1v1 than AWB?
CB- Varane and Martinez are arguably the best CB pair in the PL so we’d be looking at back up.
LB - Shaw best LB in the league Malacia excellent understudy
CDM - Casemiro best in the world? We could do with a back up.
CM - Eriksen could be upgraded and made more a rotation option.
AM - Fernandes is not going to be replaced by anyone better
RW - We won’t find a better left footed winger than Antony and have Diallo coming back off loan
LW - Rashford is world class at the moment and we have Sancho and Garnacho
Striker - Weghorst works hard so back up is fine but Martial has the talent but not the ability to stay injury free. Needs replacing.

Seven Seas Sardines

New owners will want to make a mark so I don't think a dream window like this would be impossible if we get an incredible sporting director in. We can spend more than this for three years in a row and still be in line with FFP.

Raya £30m
Kim £40m
Timber £40m
Sabitzer £15m
Frenkie £70m
Kudus £55m
Ferguson £50m
Osimhen £100m

Out: Henderson, Maguire, Lindelöf, Telles, Tuanzebe, Williams, Bailly, Donny, McTominay, Weghorst, Martial

Net under £300m

Last edited:

RkkMan

I’d just be happy with new ownership confirmed and in place…1 new striker and retain Sabitzer

our defence presently is looking good. Don’t necessarily mind Maguire as back up. You aren’t getting much better 3rd and 4th choice cbs than Lindelof and Maguire.

Our midfield is presently decent and with Eriksen back, Sabitzer retained and hopefully Hannibal can kick on and get some minutes. Similarly can Amad/Pellistri kick on and compete further forward

just need that striker
For real?
As long as we keep the same midfield drubbings like Anfield away from home will be a norm. Even if we retain Sabi we need a starting press resistant No8
Casemiro needs a back up team completely falls apart when he's not starting/in bad form
We most definitely need a new GK whether or not De Gea stays he's not good for Ten Hag's style of play long term
An £80m "back up" that happens to be a bang average player is terrible to have on our books plus he's England's starting CB don't think he'll accept being 3rd/4th choice anyway so likely he asks to leave anyway

RkkMan

If we’re talking about desperate need:
Striker - Kane (we’d win the league with him convince me otherwise)
CM - Any ball carrier ideally FDJ.

We can make do with the options we have elsewhere. I’d rather add two top quality players and have the rest be academy option or returners from loan.

ETH doesn’t rotate if he can avoid it so genuinely think improving 2 starters is far more important than any other transfers we could make.

De Gea
Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro FDJ
Bruno
Antony Kane Rashford​

That wins the league in my book.

GK - Can we reliably upgrade De Gea?
RB - Is there anyone comfortably better than Dalot in build up and better 1v1 than AWB?
CB- Varane and Martinez are arguably the best CB pair in the PL so we’d be looking at back up.
LB - Shaw best LB in the league Malacia excellent understudy
CDM - Casemiro best in the world? We could do with a back up.
CM - Eriksen could be upgraded and made more a rotation option.
AM - Fernandes is not going to be replaced by anyone better
RW - We won’t find a better left footed winger than Antony and have Diallo coming back off loan
LW - Rashford is world class at the moment and we have Sancho and Garnacho
Striker - Weghorst works hard so back up is fine but Martial has the talent but not the ability to stay injury free. Needs replacing.
Fans are too easily impressed with mediocrity nowadays
Grand total of one goal in like 20 appearances and 2 goals in 20 for Burnley but because he "works hard" he's good enough to be a back up to a new world class ST for Man Utd? Ighalo was a better loan signing but nobody here wanted to keep him. Weghorst has been slightly above average at best and at 31 isn't going to be any better. We can get much much better back up STs in the summer
When we sell Dean Henderson for £20-30m whether De Gea stays or not we have to sign a new GK. De Gea has been too comfortable as an undisputed starter for too long and he's frankly not good enough long term stylistically for our style of play

RkkMan

Squad still needs wholesale changes and it's why we need The Qataris who can finance these changes
GK- Whether or not we renew De Gea's contract a new Sweeper GK is a must. De Gea is a legend but high time a long term successor is signed. If ideally he doesn't renew two new GKs
RB- IMO one of Dalot/AWB should still be sold alongside Williams, Laird and Telles for a new RB that suits Ten Hag's style
CB- At this point nobody is going to sugar coat Maguire being one of the biggest flops in history and having an £80m flop as a "back up" when he's slow as a mule on the turn and shit at defending is not good on our books. He's a key player for England so chances are he asks to leave anyway. We should sign a new 3rd choice CB that can deputize Licha/Varane better ideally a young upcoming CB
DM- Casemiro needs a back up. Don't need to explain why everyone can see. Sell McTominay to finance this
CM- Sabi+a new Starting No8(FDJ ideally) with Fred+VDB leaving is necessary. Our current options here are the type whom as long as they're not upgraded on drubbings like Anfield will be a norm in big games away from home. A controller is desperately needed to add steel, Football IQ and technicality in the middle
ST- Two new STs needed starting and back up ST. Weghorst needs to be shipped back to Burnley end of the season and Martial needs to be gotten rid off even if it's on a free

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Fans are too easily impressed with mediocrity nowadays
Grand total of one goal in like 20 appearances and 2 goals in 20 for Burnley but because he "works hard" he's good enough to be a back up to a new world class ST for Man Utd? Ighalo was a better loan signing but nobody here wanted to keep him. Weghorst has been slightly above average at best and at 31 isn't going to be any better. We can get much much better back up STs in the summer
When we sell Dean Henderson for £20-30m whether De Gea stays or not we have to sign a new GK. De Gea has been too comfortable as an undisputed starter for too long and he's frankly not good enough long term stylistically for our style of play
Weghorst is a perfectly acceptable back up striker option. If we’re playing positional football and intend on having a clear number 1 like a Kane then a Weghorst is a necessity. Happy to play second fiddle and follows managers instructions just at a lower quality.

Who would you have as back up?

tomaldinho1

Realistic scenario is something like this

Maguire, Martial, Henderson, Axel sold. £100m+

Osimhen in. £85m
FDJ saga restarts and nothing happens.
Tielemans/Rabiot on a free.
Thurman on a free.

Only ‘shock’ is I can see us selling Sancho if he keeps dropping in and out of the team. Should be a player we can get a good few from and he’s on silly wages.

I’d personally like us to get a keeper in and also try for JWP when Soton go down - feel he’d offer ample cover for the CMs and also is worth so much for his set pieces.

hobbers

Sell Henderson, Maguire, McTominay. Somehow get rid of Martial so we can stop the never ending injury circus. Also Telles and Weghorst out the door.

Sign Raya
Sign Osimhen or Ramos up front. Kane third choice depending on price. Sign another striker/forward as back up/competition (Thuram on a free?)
Sign De Jong (not that he'll ever want to come) or Macallister in midfield
Sign a good right back

If we get decent money for Henderson, Maguire and McTominay and get Martial off the wage bill you'd like to think a 5 signing summer would be possible. Thuram on a free seems such a no brainer.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
New owners or no new owners we are very close to breaking FFP rules.

It's not going to be a mega summer transfer wise whatever happens if you listen to what some of the best journalists are saying.

1 big signing might well be our lot. Then quite possibly a few freebies to add depth.

daba

GK - Diogo Costa £65m or Raya £25m

RB - Frimpong £35m or Livramento £30m

CB - Kim Min-Jae £40m or Bella-Kotchap £25m

CM - FDJ/Caicedo £70m or Rabiot FREE

AM - Kudus £50m or Kamada FREE

ST - Osimhen £100m or Gonçalo Ramos £85m

Outs: De Gea (Free), Dalot (£25m), Maguire (£25m), Martial (£10m), McTominay (£25m), Elanga/Pellistri (£15m), Van de Beek (£10m).

= £110m from sales

Personal dream/unrealistic outcome/if I was playing Football Manager:

Diogo Costa + Frimpong + Kim Min Jae + FDJ/Caicedo + Kudus + Goncalo Ramos

= £235m net

More realistic outcome:

Diogo Costa + Frimpong + Kim Min Jae + Rabiot + Kamada + Goncalo Ramos

= £115m net

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Successful scenario

Every season without fail we see these sort of lists.

Who the heck do you think is buying McTom for 35m? In fairness, who do you think is buying any of that lot for those fees, bar Maguire?

With the wages we'll have these guys on, we'll probably be looking at about £60m the lot. But more likely loaning them out again and paying 50% of wages.

jesperjaap

Well, we failed to sell anything last summer so this summer we simply must do it because of many things (FFP, squad size, losing value on some player who will not be in ETH's plans).
Also, this summer is specific because we have everything set for real title challenge next year.
Partly agree. We have failed to make significant sales really for several seasons, not just last year. ALmsot a bit embarrassing that the onyl way we could get rid of several players was due to contracts.

We still have a bloated squad. Telles, Tuanzabe, Jones, Bailly, Williams, Van DeBeek are all still here and should have been long gone over the summer and one of those will be a contract, two of them was through our youth ranks so free and I doubt there is much in transfer fees for the lot of them....we will still probably make a net loss of near £50m on them from what we paid.

But more importantly there are several names up for discussion that can bring in decent fees Henderson, Bissaka, Maguire, McTominay, Martial spring to mind (personally would keep Bissaka and sell Dalot).....but all sold thats got to be a sizeable chunk of money, its something CIty and Chelsea have done even if for losses they have got money in....of course if it isnt spent on the side it means nothing though.

I still dont think we are as close as many seem to think to a title push though. Look at Solkjears good season and it emulates this a fair bit, good form, better football....we finished second.....other big sides especially Liverpool and CHelsea were poor....liek this season.

I think we bought well in the summer....but. We are most certainly a quality striker and central midfielder away at a minimum from a quality first eleven let alone a squad....and squad wise, forgetting Greenwood, a second striker is needed, a better quality centre back to cover Varane, maybe a new keeper or at least a better numebr two to compete, possible a right back, maybe another central midfielder as cover for Casemeiro.

I think a couple of players are already in our squad amongst the youth players breakig through here and on loan but the ideal summer is a good takeover, double figures of players out 2 top quality first eleven signings and 3/4 other exciting additions to change our squad from a bloated one lacking in certain areas to a quality one with good options in all positions on the bench/squad not jsut half of them....still a lot to do

hobbers

We could maybe at best get £20m for Henderson, £30m or so for Maguire. £20m for McTominay. £10m tops for AWB but not a priority to sell. £5m for Telles.

We're not getting any money for Martial or VDB. Not in a million years.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It will only be a successful summer if we sign multiple players who can keep the ball under pressure and dribble. That is what we are severely lacking more than anything else.

Woziak

New owners or no new owners we are very close to breaking FFP rules.

It's not going to be a mega summer transfer wise whatever happens if you listen to what some of the best journalists are saying.

1 big signing might well be our lot. Then quite possibly a few freebies to add depth.

It’s not quite as clear cut as that, we have two saleable assets in Dean Henderson and Scot Mctominay that cost the club nothing, if we get £40-50m for both and sell them on decent contracts we can amortise the sales potentially outing £140-150m into our budget as we never paid anything for either player. Plus it’s more likely to be a mega summer this year than season 24/25 or 25/26 when Revenue to wages/agents/transfer will be 80% and 70% respectively.

This summer it’s 70% and that gives new owners with cash a huge chance providing certain players are sold and other players like De Gea wages are reduced significantly, no way you have a 33 year old goalkeeper that’s conceded 100 PL in the last two years on £375k per week, his wages should be reduced by two thirds or he should be let go and I love and respect David, it’s not his fault bit the moronic owners but no club pays nearly 400k per week to any GK, complete madness.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It’s not quite as clear cut as that, we have two saleable assets in Dean Henderson and Scot Mctominay that cost the club nothing, if we get £40-50m for both and sell them on decent contracts we can amortise the sales potentially outing £140-150m into our budget as we never paid anything for either player. Plus it’s more likely to be a mega summer this year than season 24/25 or 25/26 when Revenue to wages/agents/transfer will be 80% and 70% respectively.

This summer it’s 70% and that gives new owners with cash a huge chance providing certain players are sold and other players like De Gea wages are reduced significantly, no way you have a 33 year old goalkeeper that’s conceded 100 PL in the last two years on £375k per week, his wages should be reduced by two thirds or he should be let go and I love and respect David, it’s not his fault bit the moronic owners but no club pays nearly 400k per week to any GK, complete madness.
We owe close to £300m in transfer payments that have been amortized already.

Nobody is saying we won't sign anyone but I wouldn't get my hopes up for a spectacular summer.

Woziak

Every season without fail we see these sort of lists.

Who the heck do you think is buying McTom for 35m? In fairness, who do you think is buying any of that lot for those fees, bar Maguire?

With the wages we'll have these guys on, we'll probably be looking at about £60m the lot. But more likely loaning them out again and paying 50% of wages.
As I explained previously, the Glaziers will hopefully be gone and so will their ineffective executive director team. The potential new Qatari owners know exactly how to get rid of players and Newcastle previously offered £30m in January for Mctominay, United turned it down and asked for £40m so a deal for £32-35 is more than possible because guess what he’s not on £200k per week but £75-90k . Dean Henderson is another player United can get £20-25m for due to length of his contract and guess what because we did not pay any transfer fee for these two players they give the club a huge upside in our transfer summer budget as both Mctominay and Henderson could accrue a combined £50m transfer fee which would now show on our accounts as complete player profit as they did not cost the club anything so there is no amortised fee, it basically means providing our wages are reduced from the crazy to £384m to £325-340m assuming the 25% Europa clause kicks in on all united players contracts and the revenue has been reported as reducing from £595m in 21/22 season to £540m 22/23, wages would be 60% of turnover leaving 30% left for Transfers and Agents fees which are normally paid up front but transfer fees are amortised Over the length of the contract and paid yearly.

So just selling those two players; Mctominay and Henderson for £50m would effect our window like this ;

Manchester United Proposed Purchases with SJR or Qatari ownership after the sale of Mctominay and Henderson :

D Rayna - 15m (GK), 75k per week
J Timbour - 40m(CB) 125k per week
D Rice or Caciedo - 80M (CDM) 175k p/w
A Rabiot - Free (CM) - 180k p/w
M Kudas - 45m (AMF) 120k per week
V Osimhen - 120m(CFW) - 250k per week

The total cost would be £300m but all players are signed on 5 year contract and this cost is amortised to £60m per season and practically offset by selling two players who have 2 to 3 years on contract as united can use then as a true net profit, since we never paid anything for them in the first place, therefore we can amortise the sales values against new purchases so £50m is divided by 3 and the club has £16.65m net profit which is then subtracted from the £60m we’ve committed to new players, we just need to make sure that our wage bill is not increased by too much but losing Ronaldo off the bill and reducing De Gea from £375k to £175k will allows us to do this.

The biggest deal would be V Osimhen not because of the fee but because of the £20-£25m agents fees which would be part of FFP.

Conclusion Manchester Unite turnover for 2022/23 season £540m, Wages £340M, Net Transfers Fees amortised £45m after amortised sales and Agents Fees paid of £30m giving a total of £415m spent against the club’s 90% allowance of £495m. This will be a huge issue in two years time because the rule changes to 70% so based on what we are trying to do in the summer if that rule was applied now, we would have overspent by £37m and been sanctioned accordingly.

FFP is not as much of an issue as united have being making out, if the club makes smart sales, the problem is that the Manchester United has no cash whatsoever and just lost £120m on last years accounts that’s why the Glaziers could not buy Gatkpo and why their time has finally run out!

Last edited:

Woziak

We owe close to £300m in transfer payments that have been amortized already.

Nobody is saying we won't sign anyone but I wouldn't get my hopes up for a spectacular summer.
If it’s not this summer it won’t be in the following 2 because the FFP will only get much tighter, the £300m owed transfer fees are already in the accounts and this is not correctly reported as someone like Pogba was paid over 6 years at £15m per year, I would suggest that these might be actual debt payments not made by the club for players who may no longer exist at the club. The next few weeks will be very interesting as certain financials will be leaked deliberately. In other words payments agreed but not made by Manchester United to the selling clubs.

Last edited:

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
2 fwds if we let Weghorst go. I'd also keep him as the workhorse if his wages are manageab, could be useful in our system.

Maguire/Lindelof to leave to generate income and save on wages. As Shaw can play LCB that's the cover for Martinez we need.

CDM to work under Casimero, maybe internal recruitment from the youth - bleed through Iqbal work for anyone?.

What about Bruno Fernandes, someone who can play the #8/10 role so we don't rely on him every single bloody game?.

That's my ideal summer recruitment. Oh and please let us finally let go of Phil Jones :lol:

Woziak

We could maybe at best get £20m for Henderson, £30m or so for Maguire. £20m for McTominay. £10m tops for AWB but not a priority to sell. £5m for Telles.

We're not getting any money for Martial or VDB. Not in a million years.
AWB £10M never , we turned down £18M in the summer

hobbers

People dont seem to realise we'd need to actually pay Burnley money for Weghorst.

There are 100+ strikers across Europe who would be better signings for similar money.

RkkMan

We have a lot of sellable assets that can ensure we spend big and comply with FFP despite what people here are saying. With new owners and new Football Management team our sales should be more efficient
GK- Dean Henderson fetches us £20-30m. That plus De Gea's wages massively reduced or completely off our books if he leaves gives us leeway for a new GK or two
RB- Sell AWB or Dalot plus Telles, Williams and Laird and that makes a new RB realistic
CB- Marseille are likely to get CL football so Bailly's loan will become a permanent deal as per a clause in his loan deal. Tuanzebe and Jones released off the books for free plus selling the £80m fridge for whatever we can get gives us leeway for a new CB
CM and DM- McTominay fetches us £20-30m at least maybe even more because he's on relatively low wages and homegrown that gives us leeway to buy a Casemiro understudy. Granted a new quality starting No8 will cost a lot even if we sell Fred and VDB hopefully new owners provide financing here
ST- Again like a No8 a new starting ST will cost a lot even if we manage to offload Martial so hopefully owner financing plus Utd's own self made cash gives us enough money to sign the best ST available to us alongside a back up ST who's name is not Weghorst

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Think we will get in 3 midfielders because the current lot Fred/McT are not good enough and Bruno is too unreliable. McAllister, De Jong and one more. Striker it's gotta be Osimhen or bust. Defence we will get a new CB if Maguire moves and Kudus will be the RB

SAFMUTD

We have a lot of sellable assets that can ensure we spend big and comply with FFP despite what people here are saying. With new owners and new Football Management team our sales should be more efficient
GK- Dean Henderson fetches us £20-30m. That plus De Gea's wages massively reduced or completely off our books if he leaves gives us leeway for a new GK or two
RB- Sell AWB or Dalot plus Telles, Williams and Laird and that makes a new RB realistic
CB- Marseille are likely to get CL football so Bailly's loan will become a permanent deal as per a clause in his loan deal. Tuanzebe and Jones released off the books for free plus selling the £80m fridge for whatever we can get gives us leeway for a new CB
CM and DM- McTominay fetches us £20-30m at least maybe even more because he's on relatively low wages and homegrown that gives us leeway to buy a Casemiro understudy. Granted a new quality starting No8 will cost a lot even if we sell Fred and VDB hopefully new owners provide financing here
ST- Again like a No8 a new starting ST will cost a lot even if we manage to offload Martial so hopefully owner financing plus Utd's own self made cash gives us enough money to sign the best ST available to us alongside a back up ST who's name is not Weghorst
Realistically we can get 15-20M for Henderson, he's been bang average this season. The time to sell him was in his first EPL season with Sheffield after that all the potential has gone, no one thinks he can actually be a top keeper anymore so his value has dropped.

Telles and Williams are dead wood at this point, 5-10M tops. Laird is an injury prone youngster so I dont think we can get more than 10M for him either.

Bailly's clause is 10M, Maguire we should be able to get 25-30M for him.

McTominay 20M seems fair and VdB maybe 10-15M.

So I guess we can get around 100-130M for all our deadwood. That should be enough to buy 2 quality players.

croadyman

A successful summer is completely different to a perfect one.

A success would be a 1st choice striker and midfielder to play next to Casemiro for me, maybe with the addition of cover to Casemiro.

Perfect would be to add a GK, RB, and youngish CB to the above, but all are secondary concerns depending on outgoing transfers.
They might be secondary concerns,however do feel we need to add one of those this summer too. Which out of GK,RB or CB would you choose?

croadyman

Signings of Casemiro/Martinez level impact at striker and centre mid.

Those signings alone could propel us to challengers at all levels.
Much easier said that done though.
Which players could provide that level of impact

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Which players could provide that level of impact
This is where the likes of Ten Hag and the recruitment guys earn their corn.
Who would have thought those two I mention would have made such an impact?

Oh_Dear

Realistically we can get 15-20M for Henderson, he's been bang average this season. The time to sell him was in his first EPL season with Sheffield after that all the potential has gone, no one thinks he can actually be a top keeper anymore so his value has dropped.

Telles and Williams are dead wood at this point, 5-10M tops. Laird is an injury prone youngster so I dont think we can get more than 10M for him either.

Bailly's clause is 10M, Maguire we should be able to get 25-30M for him.

McTominay 20M seems fair and VdB maybe 10-15M.

So I guess we can get around 100-130M for all our deadwood. That should be enough to buy 2 quality players.
I think Greenwood (maybe at a lowish price plus a sell-on clause) and Martial are also likely on the exit list - any thoughts on what we could get for them? And maybe one of Diallo, Elanga and Pellistri will go too.

Borussia Teeth

Realistic scenario is something like this

Maguire, Martial, Henderson, Axel sold. £100m+

Osimhen in. £85m
FDJ saga restarts and nothing happens.
Tielemans/Rabiot on a free.
Thurman on a free.

Only ‘shock’ is I can see us selling Sancho if he keeps dropping in and out of the team. Should be a player we can get a good few from and he’s on silly wages.

I’d personally like us to get a keeper in and also try for JWP when Soton go down - feel he’d offer ample cover for the CMs and also is worth so much for his set pieces.
This isn't a 'realistic scenario.' We won't get anything close to 100m for your proposed sales and Osimhen will cost a lot more than 85m

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If it’s not this summer it won’t be in the following 2 because the FFP will only get much tighter, the £300m owed transfer fees are already in the accounts and this is not correctly reported as someone like Pogba was paid over 6 years at £15m per year, I would suggest that these might be actual debt payments not made by the club for players who may no longer exist at the club. The next few weeks will be very interesting as certain financials will be leaked deliberately. In other words payments agreed but not made by Manchester United to the selling clubs.
That's not how FFP works. Things don't get worse the following year if you have a quiet summer the previous one.

Richard Arnold already said that this summer wouldn't be a big one. He eluded to why and it was FFP.

SER19

Osimhen and de jong in, plus a couple of well scouted cheaper buys. Likely raise some money by sale of maguire, martial, van de beek, elanga.