‘U.K. should be seen as a model of racial equality’ - Report

From the pre briefing, it seems positive. It highlights there are still issues abs challenges, but that there have been improvements.

seems pretty balanced, it doesn’t look controversial. Your headline doesn’t seem to reflect the article.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Any society in which something as appalling as windrush happened, as recently as it did, and where the home office continues to be as appallingly inhumane, cannot be seen as a 'model of racial equality' for anyone else.

Putting aside the classic 'we're number one' that this current administration and its allies seems to want to trumpet at every opportunity, the point about social class and white working class kids being left behind is a significant one imo.

FireballXL5

They should have printed it tomorrow, you never know, someone might have fallen for it.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Which major multiculural western countries do actually perform the best on these metrics? Canada?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Race and racism 'less important in explaining social disparities' - report https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56585538

Report to be published at 11:30am

Can’t help but feel this is going to be hugely divisive.
One of the 24 recommendations is great.

'The acronym BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) should no longer be used because differences between groups are as important as what they have in common'
Had this discussion with @UnrelatedPsuedo and @Martial'sEmergingSmile

Not sure about the 'model of racial equality' bit but the UK is definitely one of the most progressive countries when it comes to race. People who have not experienced other countries aren't going to see it that way though, and you're not going to see a balanced reaction to the report, whatever it says.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Race and racism 'less important in explaining social disparities' - report https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56585538

Can’t help but feel this is going to be hugely divisive.
The topic is an obvious divisive issue but the report is a government-commissioned review so my expectation is to read that 'The Gvt is working hard in order to tackle racism and is on the right track'.

Abizzz

In other news the football forum got an award for well reasoned, balanced player performance rating.

Fluctuation0161

Not sure about the 'model of racial equality' bit but the UK is definitely one of the most progressive countries when it comes to race. People who have not experienced other countries aren't going to see it that way though, and you're not going to see a balanced reaction to the report, whatever it says.
It might be a shit sandwich. But we are the best shit sandwich.

I get it now.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Any society in which something as appalling as windrush happened, as recently as it did, and where the home office continues to be as appallingly inhumane, cannot be seen as a 'model of racial equality' for anyone else.

Putting aside the classic 'we're number one' that this current administration and its allies seems to want to trumpet at every opportunity, the point about social class and white working class kids being left behind is a significant one imo.
Perhaps the report forgot the Metropolitan Police are an institution.
  • there were 6 stop and searches for every 1,000 White people, compared with 54 for every 1,000 Black people

Tarrou

Which major multiculural western countries do actually perform the best on these metrics? Canada?
I don’t know about the metrics but Canada felt way further along to me when I lived there

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is this an independent study or one done by the govt themselves? I know it says government commissioned but they could've selected one they know would rule favourably.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This country has serious problems. The fact we can't even admit we have a problem is deeply concerning.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don’t know about the metrics but Canada felt way further along to me when I lived there
So you made an entire country more racist? That's disappointing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
How often do we get a release/brief snippet for a report that ends up being completely different from the content inside it?

I can't help but feel that when the full report comes out it won't be all sunshine and rainbows, but by that point it won't matter as the news headlines will have moved on to the next big story and we'll forever have Johnson saying the country is perfect whilst highlighting the initial news that came with this report as his proof.

Smores

Did anyone expect any different from this government? Their entire MO is to spin everything as fine.

The way they've pushed the message on this it's clear they’re just using it as politics. Division is the intention.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How often do we get a release/brief snippet for a report that ends up being completely different from the content inside it?

I can't help but feel that when the full report comes out it won't be all sunshine and rainbows, but by that point it won't matter as the news headlines will have moved on to the next big story and we'll forever have Johnson saying the country is perfect whilst highlighting the initial news that came with this report as his proof.
Never mind the full report, if everyone bothered to read the bbc news article linked to in the OP they would see that it’s far from the brushing under the carpet, nothing to see here, dismissal of racism you’d assume from some of the responses in this thread.

Even the bbc news headline is fairly balanced. I’m wondering if some people stopped reading after they’d read the (deliberately provocative) thread title?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Never mind the full report, if everyone bothered to read the bbc news article linked to in the OP they would see that it’s far from the brushing under the carpet, nothing to see here, dismissal of racism you’d assume from some of the responses in this thread.

Even the bbc news headline is fairly balanced. I’m wondering if some people stopped reading after they’d read the (deliberately provocative) thread title?
Downing Street’s official response to the racial justice movements connected to Black Lives Matter has suggested the UK should be seen as an international exemplar of racial equality, and has played down the impact of structural factors in ethnic disparities.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ial-equality-no-10s-race-commission-concludes

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
From bbc article you linked.

Concerns the UK is institutionally racist are not borne out by the evidence, the commission says. But overt racism remains, it adds.
It looks as though they’ve analysed economics outcomes according to race and found being white doesn’t necessarily result in better outcomes, if you allow for other factors such as socioeconomic background. Which doesn’t seem implausible tbh. There’s a load of recent evidence that the poorest white kids (especially males) consistently have amongst the very worst outcomes.

Although that obviously doesn’t mean that, at an individual level, racism isn’t a real problem. Or that institutional racism in the past hasn’t caused socioeconomic discrepancies according to race. When one of the headline findings is that “overt racism” is an issue in the UK it’s hardly brushing racism under the carpet.

Last edited:

Sara125

This line stuck out to me:

"We found anecdotal evidence of this. However, evidence of actual institutional racism? No, that wasn't there, we didn't find that."

So I guess we’ve all imagined the disproportionate stop and search, medical racism within the NHS, the fact that black boys are about 4x more likely to be excluded from school than their white counterparts etc. :rolleyes:

Don't Kill Bill

We could get behind implementing the reports recommendations and see if things get better for everyone.

Or we could down play the report because we don't agree it is a bleak enough a representation of the UK's current problems and can't take anything from any report unless we completely agree with every part of it.

Eugenius

It looks as though they’ve analysed economics outcomes according to race and found being white doesn’t necessarily result in better outcomes, if you allow for other factors such as socioeconomic background. Which doesn’t seem implausible tbh. There’s a load of recent evidence that the poorest white kids (especially males) consistently have amongst the very worst outcomes.

Although that obviously doesn’t mean that, at an individual level, racism isn’t a real problem. Or that institutional racism in the past hasn’t caused socioeconomic discrepancies according to race. When one of the headline findings is that “overt racism” is an issue in the UK it’s hardly brushing racism under the carpet.
Well the obvious elephant in the room is that ethnic minority people live disproportionately in poor, inner city communities. And why is that the still the case especially when we're looking at 2nd and 3rd generation communities - if the education system is as great a leveller as the report seems to say. Doing a regression where two of your variables are correlated is obviously a nonsense.

Sparky Rhiwabon

i find that racism is alive and well in europe at a time when its been largely blunted in the states
Ah yes, the States - where state prosecutors routinely “strikes off” prospective black jurors where the defendant is black (most of the time). Largely blunted it is.

Last edited:

Bosws87

We aren't perfect as a society and country far from it, but we aren't this terrible cesspool of hate that a lot of people try to paint the United Kingdom as.

A lot of people really don't realise how lucky or privileged you are to be living in the United Kingdom.

Doesn't mean we don't have plenty of issues or unfairness in society but i do believe in the grand scheme of things we are doing far better then the majority of others in this world.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

It's so disingenuous because the report says the UK isn't institutionally racist, but there's racism in every institution you look into - it's written intentionally in order to create a provoking headline that absolves them of accountability. They were never going to admit to being racist.

For example, this is happening as we speak
Black and Muslim kids are being told that their cultural identity is against school policy and they are unable to learn as a result of them being who they are. This isn't an outlier either, you have similar policies at many other schools. Add this onto the fact that black boys are 4-5x as likely to be excluded from school as white kids.
So yeah maybe when black kids are actually allowed to study, they prove themselves to be among the top performers in school - but those kids face discrimination and obstacles before they even step foot in a classroom, or have to strip themselves of their heritage/background/identity in order to achieve this.

On Monday Rochelle Humes headed up a documentary that aired on Monday which highlights the fact that black and mixed women are up to 4x as likely to die in childbirth

Black car owners get stopped & searched with the risk of being tasered because 6 police officers suspected them of driving without insurance.

I could go on & on, but i'm sure you get the idea.

It's a ridiculous report that does nothing but pat themselves on the back to say "yes we're racist, but we're not as racist as we used to be, and we're less racist than other places, so follow our lead" it's insulting and the majority of people who think it's findings are somehow anything other than absurd, are the very people who were never at risk of being the victim of racial inequality in the first place.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well the UK is the best country. Checkmate libs!
How bad must other countries be?!