“ If De Bruyne (£68m) has an off day, City have Mahrez (£61m), Sterling (£57m), Silva (£45m), Foden, Gundogan (£24m), & Ferran (£21m)

Smores

City's attackers(wide forwards/wingers/center forwards) cost more than 170 million pounds to obtain. Ours cost around 65 million. That is a huge difference.

On top of this they got a more expensive midfield, defense and bench. And the worst part is that they will keep spending more than us despite already being significantly better. That is why we can't catch up. Even if we were to match them pound for pound from this summer it would take several transfers windows to catch up with them, because they are so far ahead and they can afford to sign a flop or two whereas it's a disaster for us.
How much would Rashford cost then?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
It's a pathetic excuse and another example of how badly run our club is.

Pogba (80M), Bruno Fernandes (45M), Martial (50M), Fred (50M), Van de Beek (40M), Juan Mata (37M), Diallo (27M), Greenwood, Rashford

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Wow, who knew that we’re to blame for all the injuries you have!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Another pathetic thread. I guess the OP gave up on attacking other people's intelligence when he was shown up the other day.

lex talionis

It's a pathetic excuse and another example of how badly run our club is.

Pogba (80M), Bruno Fernandes (45M), Martial (50M), Fred (50M), Van de Beek (40M), Juan Mata (37M), Diallo (27M), Greenwood, Rashford
Agreed.

This is a pathetic thread. We’ve spent a massive sum, as have City, but City are a better managed club in all respects except commercial sponsorships.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
City's attackers(wide forwards/wingers/center forwards) cost more than 170 million pounds to obtain. Ours cost around 65 million. That is a huge difference.

On top of this they got a more expensive midfield, defense and bench. And the worst part is that they will keep spending more than us despite already being significantly better. That is why we can't catch up. Even if we were to match them pound for pound from this summer it would take several transfers windows to catch up with them, because they are so far ahead and they can afford to sign a flop or two whereas it's a disaster for us.
They also have a vastly, vastly, vastly superior manager who will have Europe’s elite bending over backwards to get him when he chooses to leave City. Ole wouldn’t even get the Sheffield job.

Godfather

That's your fault for recruiting poorly. The spend between United and City since they bought Sterling and De Bruyne isn't much different. City have spent a bit more but it's still more even than the rest of the league in terms of spend since that period.
This. On the player and the manager front

Lee565

Liverpool didn't need such an excuse to challenge and win the title recently

reddevilz007

Off day or not, the teamplay is still amateur-ish. Crystal Palace, Newcastle played better than us as team.

That’s all down to coaching.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

As various people have been saying, United have three youth players in their starting 11 (McT, Greenwood, Rashford), City just one (Foden). If you would have had buy Greenwood and Rashford after their breakthrough, as City did with all of their attackers, you'd be very close to that 170M.

The tweet totally misses the point.

We play Citeh twice a season in the league, most other weeks we face teams we’ve outspent handsomely or a Chelsea who again we only play on 2 occasions in a 38 game season.

If the excuse is always, ‘but Citeh spend more’ then the club may as well cease as a footballing entity.

Drawing to Palace, West Brom & so on has nothing to do with the club in blue.
But mostly this. People look at head-to-head comparisons too much. United is drawing to bottom-half teams playing most of their first team. What does City's squad depth matter for that?

big rons sovereign

Well you've already ignored my point.

My point wasn't about us spending too much. It was about us spending too much on the wrong players, two defenders who were massively overpriced and dont even really fit Ole's system, going after the wrong targets and prioritising the wrong areas. All of which Ole holds responsibility for because he has the final say on what players we look at and what players we sign.

We could have signed better players than Maguire and AWB for a lot less money that would have been a better fit for whatever Ole perceives his style to be.

We could have gone after wingers other than Sancho and an 18 year old kid with 3 senior apps from Atalanta. City signed Ferran Torres, for example - were we ever looking at him?
We did go for Sancho, ed and his band of merry bellends tried to get him for ten fags and a curly wurly.
Are you seriously pinning the spending on ole? He has nothing to do with it, you think he's telling ed to piss about all summer before paying through the nose on the final day?
Come on man.

Greck

I see the money talk is back because City leapfrogged us. Last year Liverpool were ahead so people couldn't use it. Bit embarrassing when United fans cry about money. At least most people from both sides acknowledge it's more about quality of spending.

I don't have a problem giving City and Liverpool credit because they have had both quality and quantity where we have a bunch of 50m-80m signings we aren't sure should even be part of the team

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I see the money talk is back because City leapfrogged us. Last year Liverpool were ahead so people couldn't use it. Bit embarrassing when United fans cry about money.
Net spend and wage bills are by far the biggest factor of success in football.

reddevilz007

Its up to the manager to select the formation and tactics so to hide our weaknesses and play to our strengths. Its also the manager’s job to make the adjustments and substitutions when needed.

Ole admitted he didnt want to use more subs vs Palace because he believed his starters would do the job, when everyone could see we were going nowhere.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Its up to the manager to select the formation and tactics so to hide our weaknesses and play to our strengths. Its also the manager’s job to make the adjustments and substitutions when needed.

Ole admitted he didnt want to use more subs vs Palace because he believed his starters would do the job, when everyone could see we were going nowhere.
Did you think the same against Wolves?

Greck

I added some more context but since net spend is that high of a factor we really shouldn't be nearing on 3 years without a trophy.

Greck

We should have been pretty successful over the past 8 years then
I know right? As United fans we can't overplay pure spend without running into the contradiction that is the fact that we aren't winning even with a high net spend. We aren't even winning minor cups any more and it isn't all to clubs that outpace us in spend

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
This thread is a bit embarrassing. First of all forget about City, we can't even play a decent game of football against West Brom or Palace after spending 300m
And secondly, if Liverpool can win the title against City while at the same time playing attacking and entertaining football then so can we.
They aren't owed by an oil tycoon. They just made the right choices and that includes the right manager.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
yes. We should have been.
Indeed which is why the tweet is a bit silly, because we have spent shit loads, and our squad is very expensive. But instead of highlighting that it attempts to say the Bruno alternatives are James/Rashford (which is complete rubbish) puts prices next to City players when most of them are cheaper than our owns players.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
If you are honestly arguing that Rashford, Shaw, Fred and McTominay haven’t improved under Ole you are actually insane.
If you think Rashford has improved from last season then there's room for 2 at the funny farm. His form for quite a while now has been shocking. Fred was a £50m player. Give him a run of games and of course he's going to get better. McT pulls out the odd fantastic performance which masks just how average he is. I like him as a player but if we're serious about winning titles the most he can hope for is being a bit part player. I think the difference with Shaw this season is he's in the best shape of his life which I can give Ole credit for but technically he's always been a great player. He's not playing any different now than he was under LVG until his horror leg break.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If you think Rashford has improved from last season then there's room for 2 at the funny farm. His form for quite a while now has been shocking. Fred was a £50m player. Give him a run of games and of course he's going to get better. McT pulls out the odd fantastic performance which masks just how average he is. I like him as a player but if we're serious about winning titles the most he can hope for is being a bit part player. I think the difference with Shaw this season is he's in the best shape of his life which I can give Ole credit for but technically he's always been a great player. He's not playing any different now than he was under LVG until his horror leg break.
I'd argue he was better then, but you still need to credit Ole for his improvment

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
They are, which is why if you have a case where they don't align you can deduce bad management.
(and no I don't mean Solksjaer)

InfiniteBoredom

From giving a full strength Arsenal team a pasting with 7 defenders in the starting line up to this.

The continual lowering of expectations is pathetic. If we don’t have good alternatives then it’s because our recruitment has been shit. Our starting defence cost 200m to assemble, and leaked goals like a lower half team. More spending will change that.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I'd argue he was better then, but you still need to credit Ole for his improvment
Shaw has always been a great player. What's hampered him has been injuries and the fear of getting over his leg break. If psychologically Ole has helped him then credit to him but technically Shaw is the same as he's always been.