Music 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
:nono: Lars and Metallica were made for each other. When Jordison and Lombardo were filling in, the drums (as a standalone) was technically better, but with Lars, the song itself was better. They sync between Lars and James is just phenomenal.
You're right there, but I'm sure this is about messing with the album's sound, which Ulrich did in his power-trippy way.

Edit: Ah, the Mrs was quicker.

hubbuh

I'm still making my way through it, listened up to about number 200 at this stage. It's been tedious at times, but good overall. Elvis was way overrated is my main takeaway
Crying in the Chapel, Don’t, Mystery Train, Blue Moon, Surrender, Love Me and Love Me Tender are some amazing, less cheesy Elvis.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Crying in the Chapel, Don’t, Mystery Train, Blue Moon, Surrender, Love Me and Love Me Tender are some amazing, less cheesy Elvis.
The second I read the post I wanted to mention his version of Blue Moon. Easily the best one I know.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Will look for them so. I'm sure there's a reason for the fact he's so well known, I just didn't see it from the two albums of his I listened to.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Ok I'm doing this now.

I plan to listen to each album at least once regardless of whether or not I've heard it before. Anything new to me will get at least two listens to give it a chance to make an impact. Every album shall receive a pithy review, or at least a reductive dismissive from me, with regular batch updates, because why not? I predict this to be a long and lonely journey; page after page of just me. So I wish us godspeed.

All editions, 1079 albums, You are bumping an old thread, let's fecking go!

Edit: yeah that ain't happening.

Last edited:

Panther

Maybe I need to listen to more (older) music because the 3 oldest albums I've heard in full on here are Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' (1982), Dr Dre's 'The Chronic' (1992) and Nas's 'Illmatic' (1994).

Overall though, 13 out of 1001 (1.3%), with the majority being released in the past 10/15 years.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
1. David Bowie - Hunky Dory
Every track a hit. Not my personal favourite but if I wanted to introduce someone to Bowie I'd stick this on. Favourite track: Bewlay Brothers.

2. Randy Newman - Sail Away
Lovely plinky plonk. Little Criminals is my go to Newman but this is a good backup. Much mocked for his quaintness but there is grit to his Americana pop. Favourite track: Simon Smith (almost as good as the Muppet's cover version).

3. The Strokes - Is This It
Catchy anthemic rock, playing them once though is almost more than enough.

4. David Bowie - Low
Has some evocative stuff though its bitty and ugly brutalist construction gets too much at times. Favourite track: Sound and Vision 1.

5. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Now
An amazing album of vivid folk tales. The way the thumping arrangements marry to the lyrics is great, they must have been composed as one. Favourite Track: Mardy Bum.

6. Amy Winehouse - Frank
Permit me pettiness to pronounce this a perfectly pleasant pantomime pop pastiche. Take away the sadness and I like Amy as a musical personality and particularly her belligerence but her musical contribution can be overstated. A bouncy album all the same. Favourite track: feck me pumps

7. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
It's fine and inoffensive but it doesn't move me. Sacrilege.

8. Pulp - Different Class
I found Britpop alienating but Jarvis Cocker was the one artist I took to. Common People is so excoriating. Certain bits are very 90s then at other points it sounds very out of time. Favourite Track: Common People

BD

How are you choosing albums @dumbo ?

I started into the list, running through them in chronological order. Got to about 300 and ran out of steam, but seeing this bumped has tempted me to start again.

onemanarmy

Maybe I need to listen to more (older) music because the 3 oldest albums I've heard in full on here are Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' (1982), Dr Dre's 'The Chronic' (1992) and Nas's 'Illmatic' (1994).

Overall though, 13 out of 1001 (1.3%), with the majority being released in the past 10/15 years.
I take you are much younger than me? I'm 37 btw. Growing up in the '90s, you would have been able to check off a lot more. I'm at about 300 at the moment I think.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
How are you choosing albums @dumbo ?

I started into the list, running through them in chronological order. Got to about 300 and ran out of steam, but seeing this bumped has tempted me to start again.
Chronologically sort of, but depending on availability. The early stuff is harder to get so that takes more work. I have a bunch of pre 70s stuff up next.

Streaming isn't viable right now so I'm relying on hard media or downloads. I have plenty enough to be getting on with for now.

I own a fair amount already.

The running out of steam is the fear and why I've committed this hard to it. Trying to push myself on.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Interesting how the first two decades or so of that list is full of jazz, and afterwards it just disappears. Similarly, only progrock in the first half of the 70s, and only punk around 1980. Guess they mainly went by popular genres for each period and took a couple of top albums? Striking entry for XTC's Apple Venus in that case though. (But where is English Settlement?) And I was amazed to learn that some 99.99% of the best music ever was sung in English. (I saw an MC Solaar and a Ladysmith Black Mambazo album in there. What else?)

I just went through, and got to 195. Many of those I’ve not listened to in a very very long time mind.

There’s a lot of crap in there, most of the records I listen to are 90s/2000s rock/ indy music and there’s a lot in there that I listen to, but not what I would say are essential listens. Which I then beg the question of some of the other genre’s?

The list is probably too long, and so loses quality. Was fun looking through though.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
1. David Bowie - Hunky Dory
Every track a hit. Not my personal favourite but if I wanted to introduce someone to Bowie I'd stick this on. Favourite track: Bewlay Brothers.

2. Randy Newman - Sail Away
Lovely plinky plonk. Little Criminals is my go to Newman but this is a good backup. Much mocked for his quaintness but there is grit to his Americana pop. Favourite track: Simon Smith (almost as good as the Muppet's cover version).

3. The Strokes - Is This It
Catchy anthemic rock, playing them once though is almost more than enough.

4. David Bowie - Low
Has some evocative stuff though its bitty and ugly brutalist construction gets too much at times. Favourite track: Sound and Vision 1.

5. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Now
An amazing album of vivid folk tales. The way the thumping arrangements marry to the lyrics is great, they must have been composed as one. Favourite Track: Mardy Bum.

6. Amy Winehouse - Frank
Permit me pettiness to pronounce this a perfectly pleasant pantomime pop pastiche. Take away the sadness and I like Amy as a musical personality and particularly her belligerence but her musical contribution can be overstated. A bouncy album all the same. Favourite track: feck me pumps

7. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
It's fine and inoffensive but it doesn't move me. Sacrilege.

8. Pulp - Different Class
I found Britpop alienating but Jarvis Cocker was the one artist I took to. Common People is so excoriating. Certain bits are very 90s then at other points it sounds very out of time. Favourite Track: Common People
Thank you for doing this and I hope that you stay on it. Interested in your opinion since it seems we seem to agree a bit tastewise.
Would love to hear your take on Fiona Apple‘s „Fetch the Bolt Cutters“.

BD

Thank you for doing this and I hope that you stay on it. Interested in your opinion since it seems we seem to agree a bit tastewise.
He already has 1079 albums to go through, I'm not sure he needs a 1080th!

Though I do like that album, so would recommend it if he was looking for one more for his list.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He already has 1079 albums to go through, I'm not sure he needs a 1080th!

Though I do like that album, so would recommend it if he was looking for one more for his list.
It definitely belongs on that list. Can’t accept the list without it. ;)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Chronologically sort of, but depending on availability. The early stuff is harder to get so that takes more work. I have a bunch of pre 70s stuff up next.

Streaming isn't viable right now so I'm relying on hard media or downloads. I have plenty enough to be getting on with for now.

I own a fair amount already.

The running out of steam is the fear and why I've committed this hard to it. Trying to push myself on.
Out of curiosity: why are you committing yourself to this list in particular? There are tons of such lists around, and I wasn't particularly impressed with this one. (Not that I know which one is better; I don't study these things in that much detail. I just wasn't impressed.) So why do you feel this one is autoritative enough to put so much time into it?

RoyH1

A lot of strange choices on here. Mariah Carey? Really? And the writer really had a predilection for guitar rock while a lot of genres like electronica, funk, soul and a lot of jazz get the short end of the stick. Not to mention music in languages other than English.
That said, it was a ton of fun going through it.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I really enjoyed Bolt Cutters on its initial release (after hearing about the perfect score malarkey). It began to wear a bit later, and I find it slightly too pleased with itself. It's definitely an impressive piece of work that I'll return to at some point.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Out of curiosity: why are you committing yourself to this list in particular? There are tons of such lists around, and I wasn't particularly impressed with this one. (Not that I know which one is better; I don't study these things in that much detail. I just wasn't impressed.) So why do you feel this one is autoritative enough to put so much time into it?
Mostly so I could easily jump on the back of this thread and use it to record my progress in the hope that it'll spur me on. I went through much of the Rolling Stone 500 when that came out, and the NME looked quite restricted. I find the 1001 brand usually does a pretty good job at giving a broad overview of a medium, while also introducing some lesser known things and expanding one's horizons. I don't have a particularly wide or deep knowledge of music, I tend to stick to the few things I like and dig in a limited amount of plots. I think it should serve me well. I have a lot of time to kill.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Mostly so I could easily jump on the back of this thread and use it to record my progress in the hope that it'll spur me on. I went through much of the Rolling Stone 500 when that came out, and the NME looked quite restricted. I find the 1001 brand usually does a pretty good job at giving a broad overview of a medium, while also introducing some lesser known things and expanding one's horizons. I don't have a particularly wide or deep knowledge of music, I tend to stick to the few things I like and dig in a limited amount of plots. I think it should serve me well. I have a lot of time to kill.
Yeah, sure, makes sense. As much as the list had its limitations, it does cover most of the range of anglophone popular music.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
9. Billie Holiday – Lady in Satin
Haunting vocals accompanied by gentle orchestration. Delightful, even if a few songs meander. It survived a second listen right after. The way her voice quivers on "But Beautiful" can be injected straight into my vein now. Favourite track: You've changed.

10. The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Had heard much of this as extracts over the years but this is the first time playing it as a single album. Frosty saxamaphone over accessible toe tapping rhythms. For the Fair-weather jazz fan perhaps but I frigging dig it.

11. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Horrible man but a delicious caustic wit, and the ability to write a hook. I'd forgotten just how good it sounds. Favourite track: Big Mouth Strikes Again

12. Marty Robbins – Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs
Big silly novelties. We were played a lot of this stuff by my parents when we were young, so I get a nostalgic glee from it. Very fun. A brief album that doesn't overstay its welcome.

13. Miriam Makeba – Miriam Makeba
Love it. Her rich voice accommodating a variety of pop styles. Give me that calypso flea joint right in my ears, amazing.

14. Arcade fire - Funeral
Hadn't played it since around the time of its release, a forgotten gem for me. Favourite Track: In The Backseat.

15./16. Miles Davis Birth of the Cool /Kind of Blue.
Played back to back. Cool has moments where I can feel it but then get lost with some of the digressions. So I'm thinking that maybe Jazz ain't for me. Then Blue kicks in and maybe it's because of the album's familiarity or just because they're cleaner and later recordings but I love jazz again.

17. Pixies - Doolittle
First full Pixies album I've heard. Dirty, tuneful, rockable.

BD

Nice one dumbo. Some of my favourite albums there.

You've now inspired me to get back to my list, but I'll try going for random albums and ditch the chronological order for the time being.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Nice one dumbo. Some of my favourite albums there.

You've now inspired me to get back to my list, but I'll try going for random albums and ditch the chronological order for the time being.
Nice. I was just thinking something similar earlier. You could get towards the end of the list and realise you have a glut of 90s guitar bands to wade through, one after another, on and on. I'm going to try to maintain a degree of variety when I get back to the list.

Let us know what you're playing.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
18. Frank Sinatra - In the Wee Small Hours
I don't have a high tolerance for crooning. Something about It just strikes me as insincere. Not enough good songs here to lift my interest. Enough is too much, out of my house you hotcha, You crooner!

19. Louis Prima - Wildest
Wild jazzy blues. A jumping and jiving time, particularly enjoy the duets on this one.

20. 21. 22. Are in regular rotation and pretty much etched into my psyche. They were at hand so I gave them one more spin:
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Impeccable album. The writing is incredible, she's like a modern day Percy Bysshe. Powerful imagery and stirring arrangements. Favourite track: Monkey and Bear
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Takes on a funny complexion in the shadow of Brexit. Interesting that this is the PJ Harvey album they went with over more celebrated titles, one of her best though.
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Seven Swans is my personal fave but Illinois is the most spectacular. Heartbreaking, nostalgic, majestic. Never quite sure what to make of the JWG song, as undeniably beautiful as it is. Favourite track: Palisades

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Sigur Ros - ( )
Arcade Fire - Funeral
The National - Alligator
M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us

BD

Nice. I was just thinking something similar earlier. You could get towards the end of the list and realise you have a glut of 90s guitar bands to wade through, one after another, on and on. I'm going to try to maintain a degree of variety when I get back to the list.

Let us know what you're playing.
Yeah that's pretty much what happened, only it was early 70s rock which, although some of my favourite albums were in there, it all got a bit samey. Have mixed it up the last few days and played random albums from the list. First up was Brian Eno-Ambient 1, but that wasn't for me. Maybe I'm too thick to appreciate it, but I need more in my music. The next two were The Flamin Lips-The Soft Bulletin, and Kid Rock-Devil Without a Cause. Really enjoyed both, was a bit worried when the first song of the Kid Rock one came on, but it ended up being quite good and something I could imagine listening to again, if in the mood.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
23. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black.
The music is good, she has a great voice, but still a slight whiff of music-academy manufacturing hangs over it.

24. 25. David Bowie - Aladdin Sane/Ziggy Stardust.
Ziggy stardust is my favourite Bowie album. I find Aladdin Sane a less interesting persona, and the music doesn't grab me in the same way. There's not a bum note on Ziggy.

26. Count Basie - The Atomic Mr Basie
Really came round to this one on the second listen. Really bright start, then a good contrast of tempos and sounds.

27. 28. Van Morrison - Moondance/Astral Weeks
Another two regular plays. I love Moon dance, Astral Weeks is out of this world great.

Brophs

The One and Only
23. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black.
The music is good, she has a great voice, but still a slight whiff of music-academy manufacturing hangs over it.

24. 25. David Bowie - Aladdin Sane/Ziggy Stardust.
Ziggy stardust is my favourite Bowie album. I find Aladdin Sane a less interesting persona, and the music doesn't grab me in the same way. There's not a bum note on Ziggy.

26. Count Basie - The Atomic Mr Basie
Really came round to this one on the second listen. Really bright start, then a good contrast of tempos and sounds.

Another two regular plays. I love Moon dance, Astral Weeks is out of this world great.
Dunno why, but I could never really get into Amy Winehouse. The voice was good, but everything beyond that felt really bland and tacked on.

Ziggy is one those albums that I rediscover every year or two. Amazing.

Astral Weeks, IMO, should always be in the top 2-3 of these lists. It's absolutely perfect.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I think listening to a bunch of these big band albums in close succession has tuned my ears up a little bit already. I was noticing things on Astral Weeks I'd never paid much attention to before, some of the subtleties in the arrangements were blowing me away. Maybe this isn't a futile endurance test after all, it might actually learn me some good.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Haunting vocals accompanied by gentle orchestration. Delightful, even if a few songs meander. It survived a second listen right after. The way her voice quivers on "But Beautiful" can be injected straight into my vein now. Favourite track: You've changed.

Had heard much of this as extracts over the years but this is the first time playing it as a single album. Frosty saxamaphone over accessible toe tapping rhythms. For the Fair-weather jazz fan perhaps but I frigging dig it.

Horrible man but a delicious caustic wit, and the ability to write a hook. I'd forgotten just how good it sounds. Favourite track: Big Mouth Strikes Again

12. Marty Robbins – Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs
Big silly novelties. We were played a lot of this stuff by my parents when we were young, so I get a nostalgic glee from it. Very fun. A brief album that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Love it. Her rich voice accommodating a variety of pop styles. Give me that calypso flea joint right in my ears, amazing.

Hadn't played it since around the time of its release, a forgotten gem for me. Favourite Track: In The Backseat.

15./16. Miles Davis Birth of the Cool /Kind of Blue.
Played back to back. Cool has moments where I can feel it but then get lost with some of the digressions. So I'm thinking that maybe Jazz ain't for me. Then Blue kicks in and maybe it's because of the album's familiarity or just because they're cleaner and later recordings but I love jazz again.

17. Pixies - Doolittle
First full Pixies album I've heard. Dirty, tuneful, rockable.
This was a good listening session. Kind of Blue is probably my all time favourite album (don't think there a single fault with it), Time Out is wonderful, Billie's Lady in Satin is beautiful and even though Morrissey's an idiot, The Queen is Dead is a top notch album. His lyrics are witty and catchy, and it flows seemlessly (I was re-listening to it yesterday).

BD

You're listening to all the best albums now Dumbo, the quality won't last. I've come across some proper duds on the list.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
You're listening to all the best albums now Dumbo, the quality won't last. I've come across some proper duds on the list.
The worry did cross my mind. One problem is that a lot of the best albums, or at least the ones I know that I like, are to hand. I don't have copies of Britney and Christina laying about. I've gone through the list making a mental note of the potentially painful and might try to get some of them out of the way shortly. However for now:

29. Bjork - Vespertine
I needed those twinkling music box sounds to soothe my strung out mind.

Ivor Ballokov

Thought I'd listen to a few on my commute this week.

9. This may not make sense but it felt more like a collection of songs rather than an album, in that it didn't feel like there was much consideration of the order of the songs, no ebbs or flows, that being said, they're good songs and I can't think of any I'd not want to listen to again.

10. I wanted to listen to it again straight after.

11. I confess I haven't listened to it this week, but it's one of my favourite albums and I couldn't resist.

13. Thoroughly enjoyable, read up a bit about her life, quite eventful. House of the rising sun must be one of the most flexible songs of all time, so many great versions.

18. Frank Sinatra - In the Wee Small Hours
I don't have a high tolerance for crooning. Something about It just strikes me as insincere. Not enough good songs here to lift my interest. Enough is too much, out of my house you hotcha, You crooner!

19. Louis Prima - Wildest
Wild jazzy blues. A jumping and jiving time, particularly enjoy the duets on this one.
18. I listen to this one quite a lot, moon indigo is gorgeous, I can see why it wouldn't be someones cup of tea if they don't like crooning though.

19. I couldn't get past the fact he sounds a bit like Mel Brooks, a couple of decent tracks but not an album I'm in any rush to get back to.

Astral Weeks is bona fide genius, in fact it's so good I've never actually listened to another Van Morrison album because I always end up listening to Astral Weeks instead. Maybe I should try Moondance.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
@Ivor Ballokov Very interesting, cheers.

30. XTC - Apple Venus
Apart from the odd couple of songs I had no experience of listen to XTC. What a fantastic album, with a real range of ideas that kept me off balance, not knowing what was coming next. Went and got hold of a bunch of their other albums straight after. Skylarking here we come.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
31. Adele - 21
A powerful voice, and quite relentless. The more restrained tracks work, though overall the album is a bit of a bludgeoning. Can't not respect what she built though.One album would have been enough, still 25 to go.

32. Steely Dan - Aja
Smooth, funky dad rock.

33. Britney - Baby One More Time
How did this turn out to be good? I expected to endure it once then bin it, but ended up enjoying it. It really picked up my mood. Some of those Lauperesque inflections in her vocals are sort of gorgeous. A couple of filler tracks but everything else is a brightly produced pop banger. Not what I expected.
34. Justin Timberlake - Justified
Exactly what I expected. What an insipid man. I've always found something queasy about seeing those young white kids impersonating Michael Jackson, even before the buggery. You can't deny the Neptune's impact though:
35. N.E.R.D - Fly Or Die
A decent funk-rock record, though their sound is so recognisable and ubiquitous that a whole album can be a bit much.

36. Thundercat - Drunk
Wonderful instrumentation. I feel like I need to go back and play it through a proper stereo system. Although there are obvious similarities, the record is distinctive enough from his work with Flying Lotus to make it worth while.

37. Joan Baez - Joan Baez
I've tried many times but I Just don't like Joan Baez as a performer. I find the random high pitch shouting genuinely stressful to listen to. It feels like a chimp has been put in charge of the amplifier. I like Diamonds and Rust and maybe a couple of other songs but that's it.

I've ditched the two listen rule. Some of these albums don't need a second listen, and I've given everything a fair chance.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
38. Nico - Chelsea Girl
Love Nico. Haunting, beautiful, melancholy. Much more than And Nico.

39. XTC Skylarking
It was decent, I'll give it another listen. Not as exciting as Apple Venus though.

40. Tricky - Maxinquaye
I know of tricky through his love of Kate Bush rather than the music. Some great songs early in the record, then patchy later. I'll check some of his other work.

41. 42. Dire Straits - Dire straits / Brothers in Arms
For all their naffness I quite enjoy hearing them from time to time. Brothers in arms is more naff (knaffler) but more enjoyable, possibly because of.

43. 44. 45. David Bowie - Young Americans / Heroes / Station to Station
More solid Bowie.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
31. Adele - 21
A powerful voice, and quite relentless. The more restrained tracks work, though overall the album is a bit of a bludgeoning. Can't not respect what she built though.One album would have been enough, still 25 to go.

32. Steely Dan - Aja
Smooth, funky dad rock.

33. Britney - Baby One More Time
How did this turn out to be good? I expected to endure it once then bin it, but ended up enjoying it. It really picked up my mood. Some of those Lauperesque inflections in her vocals are sort of gorgeous. A couple of filler tracks but everything else is a brightly produced pop banger. Not what I expected.
34. Justin Timberlake - Justified
Exactly what I expected. What an insipid man. I've always found something queasy about seeing those young white kids impersonating Michael Jackson, even before the buggery. You can't deny the Neptune's impact though:
35. N.E.R.D - Fly Or Die
A decent funk-rock record, though their sound is so recognisable and ubiquitous that a whole album can be a bit much.

36. Thundercat - Drunk
Wonderful instrumentation. I feel like I need to go back and play it through a proper stereo system. Although there are obvious similarities, the record is distinctive enough from his work with Flying Lotus to make it worth while.

37. Joan Baez - Joan Baez
I've tried many times but I Just don't like Joan Baez as a performer. I find the random high pitch shouting genuinely stressful to listen to. It feels like a chimp has been put in charge of the amplifier. I like Diamonds and Rust and maybe a couple of other songs but that's it.

I've ditched the two listen rule. Some of these albums don't need a second listen, and I've given everything a fair chance.
Wow, there is some shite in this batch.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Found a few more already loaded on the mp3 player.

46. Cream - Disraeli Gears
I can take or leave Eric Clapton but as a band they definitely have a feisty chemistry.

47. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
A comforting final record. You can almost hear the twinkle in his eye. Similar to Bowie's Black Star in its reconciling life with the beyond. I wonder if the Johnny Cash American recordings were the progenitor of the death confronting album.

48. Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
I was a little obsessed with this series as a kid before I even knew of The Exorcist. Mostly due to the bell on the cover really creeping me out. My mum would play the tapes in the car. Still sounds amazing.

49. Michael Jackson - Bad
We gave the LP to my dad as a birthday gift. And accompanied by Moonwalker it became a defining childhood record. I don't think my dad ever heard the album.

50. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
The most depressing thing about the JustEats abomination is just how smooth his delivery still sounds. Doggystyle shows it was innate. They wring the dog motif for every drop.