Television 13 Reasons Why

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Just me, or did it seem a bit over the top to show the thing?

Andersons Dietician

Just me, or did it seem a bit over the top to show the thing?
Think it kinda needed it for that shock factor. It’s there to make you feel uncomfortable. Absolutely savage scene, the beating he took before hand smashing his head off the sink multiple times, it was hard to watch. Which is what they want. Just like in the first season, I found it very hard to watch the Jaccuzi scene.

Side note i’d probably change your spoiler tag as it’s not much of a leap.

Heardy

The finale was a bit obviois as had been building up!

I expected this to be a bit of a teenage drama but they deal with some fecked up scenes/stories and its definitely left its mark on me.

i often think programmes have gratuitous violence amd the audience is generally de-semsitized to a lot of stuff? but genuinely i watch this programme and feel sad. i know thst sounds fluffy but ive found it much harder hitting than i thought i would.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Major plot hole:

Why did they all leave Alex, the crippled and weak one, alone with Monty when the latter was supposed to hand over the polaroids? Did the rest all had classes to go to or something?

Andersons Dietician

Major plot hole:

Why did they all leave Alex, the crippled and weak one, alone with Monty when the latter was supposed to hand over the polaroids? Did the rest all had classes to go to or something?
Might of had something to do with the gun Alex was holding up to him and wasn’t his car only a two seater

baskinginthesun

Just finished Season 2. It took about 8 episodes to get going for me. I though a lot of it was unnecessary. These so called high schoolers seemed way to smart to be in High School and that bothered me to no end. The amount of "experiences" they had all gone through seemed absolutely ridiculous. The only thing that seemed somewhat realistic was the Clay and Hannah story. It is somewhat relatable, I guess

Amir

Obviously they didn't HAVE to do a season 2 (mind you, what show that has success doesn't want more and more seasons...), but it wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be when the new episodes were first released.

It has its moments, even thought it probably doesn't justify 13 hours of television and having Hannah in so many scenes seemed forced. Also found it funny that after everything that went on with Hannah and people feeling so remorseful, Clay looks like someone who needs a shrink but nobody actually bothers to do anything.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Just finished Season 2. It took about 8 episodes to get going for me. I though a lot of it was unnecessary. These so called high schoolers seemed way to smart to be in High School and that bothered me to no end. The amount of "experiences" they had all gone through seemed absolutely ridiculous. The only thing that seemed somewhat realistic was the Clay and Hannah story. It is somewhat relatable, I guess
Sure, but these are experiences that some kids do go through. Not sure why you're bothered about 17 year olds being smart. Think they showed how some can be smart and mature (or at least what they think is mature), whilst others are idiotic and self serving.

SSSSnake

My wife is making me watch this. It's ok to watch but i get soooo annoyed but these teenagers. Hannah for starters.......what a bloody drama queen hey!?

I'm now on season 2 episode 4. Why has Clay gone mad? He's imagining Hannah in so many scenes. Surely if he's talking to a dead girl he should get help.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
S2 was pointless. And now it looks like they're setting up for a S3... They're really milking it when it should've ended after 13 episodes.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Finished season 2.

Hannah is still a drama queen, attention seeking, pretentious piece of shit.
Clay needs psychiatric help.
Bryce has a big dick.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Maybe I'm just an idiot but the time jumping is so confusing. Half the time I don't know what period of time the scene actually is.
Nah you're not an idiot. I count like 4 timelines going on at the same time.

Andersons Dietician

I finished it today and @limerickcitykid there are times when it is certainly hard to follow. Probably didn’t help that for some of it I wasn’t really paying attention but I was losing track of what time period I was supposed to be in.

Not even sure what I really make of this season. It’s not as good as the first one but I suppose the message they want to get across in this one is not everything’s black and white. Can’t stand the new girl with her Nancy Drew ways.

Anyway there is a set up for a 4th season.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Just about finished up. 20 mins left or so.

What a season. I feel like scum. I almost felt bad for a rapist. Almost. Anytime I crossed the line and actually felt bad for him he'd pull some stupid stunt and I'd remember what a vile human being he actually is.

In his defence, he knows it though. And atleast he tried to change.

Think they did a good job in looking at social issues and the stigmas attached to them.

New girl started of great but soon became rather annoying.

All in all, better than season 2 I thought. Don't think anything will top season 1, just for how raw it was.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Now the universal use of distorted colours to represent past tense is being used in the present tense scenes. :houllier: Who came up with this?

Good other than that though. The new girl is a bit annoying at times.

I think it's really well done with Bryce on how he is portrayed. He can be very likable character until you remember the bad things he did.

Andersons Dietician

I read somewhere they’ve removed the suicide scene from season 1 just recently. Something about people complaining about it glorifying suicide. So what 3 years after it comes out people are getting that removed. I actually find that scene really uncomfortable to watch and I mean that’s the point of that scene stupid society.

Havak

Pokemon master
I watched the second season and have begun watching the third (on about episode 5 so far). I'm in the camp of 'this should've ended after the initial 13 episodes'. It was a powerful series. It made its point and I hope that it helped people who were struggling. Even if just one person changed their mind, it was a success. However, dragging this out leaves a bit of a sour taste and despite the effort put into the actors speaking out of character and providing more information, it still feels like they're just milking it for money now. Maybe they were in the first place, but the first season at least could be argued for and against. I don't think I can argue for it any more, not in terms of it being used to aid struggling people. I'm trying to watch it with a different mentality, but it's difficult to see this not really fit the original criteria anymore. This could just be me, but it's hard to watch such a serious subject as just another teen drama. I'll see it through until the end, but if a fourth season is announced it will feel even more negative than positive to me.

El-Manos

Season 3 -
Powerful speech from Bryce in the end. Makes you think. How do you forgive someone who has done such horrible shit? I mean it was evident he was trying to change but nobody let him, understandably so I guess. Like someone already said, It shows not everything is black & white. Didn't like the start of this season but it ended well.

macheda14

I read somewhere they’ve removed the suicide scene from season 1 just recently. Something about people complaining about it glorifying suicide. So what 3 years after it comes out people are getting that removed. I actually find that scene really uncomfortable to watch and I mean that’s the point of that scene stupid society.
It’s not about it being uncomfortable to watch, nor glorifying suicide. Pretty much every piece of literature on the matter, every psychological advisor to tv and cinema, says that vividly and realistically depicting suicide makes those who are suicidal find it easier. They either copycat what they saw or just see how ‘quick’ the whole process is. When it came out there was huge backlash from the mental health professionals ESPECIALLY when the show had been advised against showing it. Whilst they couldn’t definitively link it to the show, there was an unexpected spike in young suicides following the release of the first season.

Andersons Dietician

When it came out there was huge backlash from the mental health professionals ESPECIALLY when the show had been advised against showing it.
Weird that after every season they have mental health, rape councillors and all these experts in their field after every season talking about these issues.

There are also many other studies that contradict what you are saying that say there are drops in terms of suicide risks on studies taken before and after people watched the season. There was a spike, which is true in young men 17-29 where woman between the age of 17-29 stayed the same.

I just find it suspicious that suicide has been depicted in many things over the years and nothing seems to have been done to remove these scenes. I guess with the success of 13 reasons why it reaches a bigger audience and therefore these “experts” can latch on to its success and get their name out there by being attached to it in anyway.

macheda14

Weird that after every season they have mental health, rape councillors and all these experts in their field after every season talking about these issues.

There are also many other studies that contradict what you are saying that say there are drops in terms of suicide risks on studies taken before and after people watched the season. There was a spike, which is true in young men 17-29 where woman between the age of 17-29 stayed the same.

I just find it suspicious that suicide has been depicted in many things over the years and nothing seems to have been done to remove these scenes. I guess with the success of 13 reasons why it reaches a bigger audience and therefore these “experts” can latch on to its success and get their name out there by being attached to it in anyway.
There was backlash immediately after the first season aired, and has continued since then. I do find it odd it has taken until now, but perhaps because it was continued. The studies I saw focused more on 10-17 year old.

Yes there have been scenes depicting suicide before, but none this graphic and realistic in a show mainly aimed at teenagers - again something that is consistently advised against across the board. However I think you're being quite cynical that its certain experts wanting their names to be attached now that its successful, when on the whole it was institutions such as the National Association of School Psychologists and Society of Clinical and Adolescent Psychology who were the biggest critics. If there was any chance that the scene contributed to a number of copy cat suicides, no matter how few, get rid of it. Is it really worth having it in the show?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The first season in general competely glorified suicide if anything. I enjoyed the show on first watch but it sat uneasy with me afterwards.

Andersons Dietician

There was backlash immediately after the first season aired, and has continued since then. I do find it odd it has taken until now, but perhaps because it was continued. The studies I saw focused more on 10-17 year old.

Yes there have been scenes depicting suicide before, but none this graphic and realistic in a show mainly aimed at teenagers - again something that is consistently advised against across the board. However I think you're being quite cynical that its certain experts wanting their names to be attached now that its successful, when on the whole it was institutions such as the National Association of School Psychologists and Society of Clinical and Adolescent Psychology who were the biggest critics. If there was any chance that the scene contributed to a number of copy cat suicides, no matter how few, get rid of it. Is it really worth having it in the show?
I mean episodes are given an age certificate for a reason with most being 15 certificate and some being 18.

There have been far more graphic suicide depictions of people hanging themselves with all the prep work as well. People taking a gun to their head, taking pills and many many more.

Also many of these big mental health experts complaints are about the depiction of the family and friends and there reactions after the suicide and how Hannah is held up as some sort of idol. Most suicidal people claim that they hang on to spare their family and friends which in that scene the reactions of her parents are I feel brilliantly done but I would agree the general principle of showing how everyone eventually moves on and comes to terms with it is probably more damning than the depiction of how she does it. “Suicide contagion” and all.

macheda14

I mean episodes are given an age certificate for a reason with most being 15 certificate and some being 18.
We all know that ratings don't mean jack. Especially on Netflix. It's a show about teenagers, for teenagers.

There have been far more graphic suicide depictions of people hanging themselves with all the prep work as well. People taking a gun to their head, taking pills and many many more.
Again these are not in shows meant for teenagers about a fellow teenager taking their own life.

Also many of these big mental health experts complaints are about the depiction of the family and friends and there reactions after the suicide and how Hannah is held up as some sort of idol. Most suicidal people claim that they hang on to spare their family and friends which in that scene the reactions of her parents are I feel brilliantly done but I would agree the general principle of showing how everyone eventually moves on and comes to terms with it is probably more damning than the depiction of how she does it. “Suicide contagion” and all.
"In April 2017, the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) in the United States released a statement regarding the series, saying: "Research shows that exposure to another person's suicide, or to graphic or sensationalized accounts of death, can be one of the many risk factors that youth struggling with mental health conditions cite as a reason they contemplate or attempt suicide."[66] NASP sent a letter to school mental health professionals across the country about the series, reportedly a first for NASP in response to a television series.[67] The following month, the United States Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology (SCCAP) released a statement also noting how strongly the series may serve as a trigger for self-injury among vulnerable youth"

Again I put the question: if in any way the depiction of her suicide has caused a few copy cat suicides, which it arguably has, PLUS mental health professionals are expressing in their professional opinion that the scene is damaging and goes against all recommendations, why not scrap it? The show gets no worse without it. This isn't bad censorship. I haven't seen the new cut, but they most likely still show the scene of the parents finding her, just not her actually committing suicide.

Andersons Dietician

We all know that ratings don't mean jack. Especially on Netflix. It's a show about teenagers, for teenagers.
It’s meant for 15 year olds and older and ratings are there for a reason.
Again these are not in shows meant for teenagers about a fellow teenager taking their own life.
Yes they are.
Again I put the question: if in any way the depiction of her suicide has caused a few copy cat suicides, which it arguably has, PLUS mental health professionals are expressing in their professional opinion that the scene is damaging and goes against all recommendations, why not scrap it? The show gets no worse without it. This isn't bad censorship. I haven't seen the new cut, but they most likely still show the scene of the parents finding her, just not her actually committing suicide.
By no means a mental health expert but I’ve had family members attempt and some succeed in committing suicide and at times struggled with depression anxiety and things like that myself but I didn’t need 13 reasons why to teach me how to cut my wrists. I knew how to do that long before the show came around as I’m sure many others do as it’s not particularly rocket science. It just seems stupid to me I guess to try and paint in like it’s a how to.

Anyway it’s done so it doesn’t really matter but seems like a slippery slope.

macheda14

It’s meant for 15 year olds and older and ratings are there for a reason.

Ratings are there so you can release your film/tv show/video game. How many 12 year olds play Call of Duty, how many 13 year olds watched American Pie. The companies that make these things are fully aware their target audience reaches a bit below their ratings classification.

Yes they are.

Fair enough, I just don’t know which shows are quite as graphic as this.

By no means a mental health expert but I’ve had family members attempt and some succeed in committing suicide and at times struggled with depression anxiety and things like that myself but I didn’t need 13 reasons why to teach me how to cut my wrists. I knew how to do that long before the show came around as I’m sure many others do as it’s not particularly rocket science. It just seems stupid to me I guess to try and paint in like it’s a how to.

I am very much the same, so from a similar experience we have differing views. You might know now and might have known how to at the age of 13, but that isn’t the point. The reason there are these experts is because there are a lot more people in the world than you or I, many of whom wouldn’t know the exact mechanics of it, so the experts see the wider society as more of a dataset and set their recommendations accordingly. Secondly it pretty much is a how to in regards to this particular means, there are many many failed attempts because they don’t do it the right way and in the right location.

I just don’t know why there would be any pushback against people who have spent their life studying and understanding this, saying it’s a bad idea.

Anyway it’s done so it doesn’t really matter but seems like a slippery slope.

United Hobbit

I think season 3 was the weakest of the lot.

The new girl drove me mad she was so flipping smug and nosey and acting all high and mighty

I also started to feel sorry for Bryce and to a lesser degree and probably would have done had they showed him more, Monty. I probably shouldn't have but I did. I almost begun to feel sorry for them and dislike the "good" characters

The ending really annoyed me also surely the investigating sheriff shouldn't have been allowed to be on the case given his massive conflict of interest?

Looks like there will be a season 4.

I also struggled with the flashbacks apparently the present day stuff was lit darker, I'd have had it the other way round

I'm glad they only did a short clip of Clay talking to dead Bryce the combination of that and the new girl would probably have tempted me to stop watching it was annoying enough when he did it with Hannah

Last edited:

Ekeke

I liked season 3 way more than season . Season 2 I completely lost interest in the final few episodes and was sick of Hannah being in it when shes dead.

Season 3 I liked the who done it style and how lots of people were shown to have motives and could have been guilty. I liked it all the way up until the end when honestly it didnt end up making sense to me.

There was just no reason for Alex to kill Bryce. He was trying to be the good samaritan by helping him home when he had broken legs and Bryce made threats towards Zach, but Alex could have just left him there to show he was done with Bryce. And Zack should just face the consequences for the fight. Murdering him was completely unnecessary.

I'd probably give it a 7 like the first season

AaronRedDevil

Anyone still watching this? New season out. Last season thank god, went on for too long at This point. Only 5 episodes in. Bit boring and overdramatic. Episode 4 was good though,

United Hobbit

I've watched up to episode 8 so far. It's a bit better than the last season and I've been more interested.

Spoiler camping trip

how did the teachers not notice half of them had gone missing?!
Also a scene in episode 8 really annoyed me as it was so ott

Spoiler episode 8

The scene of them all resisting the police and throwing stuff at them was really stupid
Who do we think it is from the opening scene?

United Hobbit

As it wont let me post 2 spoilers in 1 post

Episode 8 really annoyed me one of the scenes was so ott

that scene where they were attacking and resisting the police like that was just stupid imo

AaronRedDevil

As it wont let me post 2 spoilers in 1 post

Episode 8 really annoyed me one of the scenes was so ott

that scene where they were attacking and resisting the police like that was just stupid imo
yeah that riot scene was kinda dumb, even the cops with riot shields and guns. I mean seriously? Does that happen at a school.

United Hobbit

yeah that riot scene was kinda dumb, even the cops with riot shields and guns. I mean seriously? Does that happen at a school.
Exactly it was just so over the top and stupid it filled over half an episode as well just wanted it done with

Spoiler: Clay & Zak in Zak's car

how the hell did Clay walk away from that without even bruises/ scratches while Zak had multiple broken bones? I'd at least have expected bruises and scratches given the speed, the car flipping etc

AaronRedDevil

Exactly it was just so over the top and stupid it filled over half an episode as well just wanted it done with

Spoiler: Clay & Zak in Zak's car

how the hell did Clay walk away from that without even bruises/ scratches while Zak had multiple broken bones? I'd at least have expected bruises and scratches given the speed, the car flipping etc
they should have died from a crash like that. Plus clay would be a dead man anyway if he fecks with my audi :lol:.just finihsed it now. Last episode is an emotional rollercoaster

United Hobbit

they should have died from a crash like that. Plus clay would be a dead man anyway if he fecks with my audi :lol:.just finihsed it now. Last episode is an emotional rollercoaster

exactly they would at least be in the hospital/ have massive bruising at the absolute least, these kids have seriously Rich parents getting Audis etc :lol: Clay would have been done for drink/ drug driving and driving uninsured. Also Zak took an absolute beating from Diego yet rocks up to school with a completely unblemished face! Just watched episode 9, was hoping Justin would have been able to turn his life around. It was a bit of a dull episode almost like a happy ending for a series, going to watch last episode in a bit

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I started watching this a year ago and have only just got to near the halfway point on season 3.

It's too emotionally exhausting to be a binge watch.

Heardy

Don’t open unless you’ve watched all of series 4

Justin got done dirty! Seems pointless unnecessary to kill him off like that!

Watched the whole series this weekend. I’d say this was the weakest of the 4. Feel it went from addressing some really important social issues to just being a bit ridiculous.

Series is just full of plot holes.