19 children and 2 teachers killed in Texas school shooting (24 May 2022)

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

I want to say that clearly someone was in charge because an officer was disarmed and stopped from intervening to save his own child. But at the same time the rest of the headless chickens stood around doing sweet FA...

Do you think the Republicans will mention 400 good guys with guns? Surely this incident alone puts that bullshit to bed?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I want to say that clearly someone was in charge because an officer was disarmed and stopped from intervening to save his own child. But at the same time the rest of the headless chickens stood around doing sweet FA...

Do you think the Republicans will mention 400 good guys with guns? Surely this incident alone puts that bullshit to bed?
No, they will/have pivot this to arming the teachers.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
And after that, people will want drone guns if arming teachers doesn't work. It's that supposed to be a school or Call of Duty?
Yes.

Not even slightly kidding when I say that my wife and I had a conversation tonight about being thankful having kids just didn’t happen for us. I couldn’t imagine bringing a child into this world and I am terrified about what we are leaving behind. This country is in a death spiral.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yes.

Not even slightly kidding when I say that my wife and I had a conversation tonight about being thankful having kids just didn’t happen for us. I couldn’t imagine bringing a child into this world and I am terrified about what we are leaving behind. This country is in a death spiral.
If level headed people like you are not bringing children into this world, and 'arming' them with intelligence and common sense, then you're helping the enemy. The world, and our children's future, will indeed be damned as a self fulfilling prophesy.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
If level headed people like you are not bringing children into this world, and 'arming' them with intelligence and common sense, then you're helping the enemy. The world, and our children's future, will indeed be damned as a self fulfilling prophesy.
It’s more like what could happen to our potential children than arming them with what we were armed by our parents. I forswore off kids a couple of decades ago when I thought it through to possible outcomes. Every year has just proven my choice as to be correct.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I get your point and maybe our thinking would have changed had things worked out differently. Honestly, a tiny bit of my thinking might be a coping mechanism.

For now I guess all we can do is channel that energy into our nieces and nephews (especially by MAGA SIL's kids) and try to make a difference there.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is one of the teachers who was shot. He has required 10 surgeries and just got home from the hospital and cars lined the street to welcome him home. The last person he hugs is apparently the mother of one of his students who was killed, and what does he say to her? Something he should never have to say and something the cowards who were supposed to protect her (and him) will never say: "I'm Sorry". Heartbreaking and enraging all at once.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I get your point and maybe our thinking would have changed had things worked out differently. Honestly, a tiny bit of my thinking might be a coping mechanism.

For now I guess all we can do is channel that energy into our nieces and nephews (especially by MAGA SIL's kids) and try to make a difference there.
How old are your SIL’s kids?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
How old are your SIL’s kids?
2 in grade school and one in HS. The HS one is going to be ok I think. She is a brilliant artist and wants to be a surgeon. With the younger ones it's hard to tell as COVID (b/c SIL's husband does not believe in vaccines so no way were we visiting) and distance has meant we have not seen them in years.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
2 in grade school and one in HS. The HS one is going to be ok I think. She is a brilliant artist and wants to be a surgeon. With the younger ones it's hard to tell as COVID (b/c SIL's husband does not believe in vaccines so no way were we visiting) and distance has meant we have not seen them in years.
I wonder when MAGA tendencies start showing up in impressionable children.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I wonder when MAGA tendencies start showing up in impressionable children.
It depends on what is exhibited at home. The brand of MAGA I think my SIL and husband have is all on the selfish economic side (tax cuts for me, no "handouts" for anyone, no medicare, no regulations, etc.) and not really in the more hateful stuff. I have never heard anything remotely hateful or racist out of them, they just are selfish as hell and want politicians who vote that way. The vaccine thing was a weird one as my SIL is a nurse and her husband is highly educated. I 100% believe it was due to the GOP campaign against vaccinations.

Taking this back the the topic of the thread, I would say that my concern is that kids who are raised in hateful MAGA households might be primed for things like we saw on July 4th. That is what worries me.

RedDevilQuebecois

Somehow this has gotten even more bizarre than the last time I checked. 400 officers FFS.
It is extremely bizarre. I know that the command structure was totally deficient, but the thing that irked me more is how there was no mention of a single police sharpshooter among the 400 officers involved. Just as I wrote yesterday, I looked at the map of the school grounds and I saw at least two buildings from where a police sharpshooter could have taken position on the rooftop and thus have a line of sight into that classroom.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

That just tells you police are guys with guns. Not good guys.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Gotta hit the talking points…

That is incredible. Meanwhile the rest of the civilised world don't need their schools to be secured like a military base. America is a nutcase of a country.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What a useless bunch of cnuts. They haven't a fecking clue what they're doing but they still spend all that time bringing in the latest Call of Duty line of toys.

I wonder what it's like in that town for them now, are they reviled like they should be or is it bLuE liVeS mAttEr bollocks?