19 children and 2 teachers killed in Texas school shooting (24 May 2022)

RedDevil@84

Didn't think authorization was something that cops waited for before shooting someone.
They shoot only if they suspect someone has a gun. If they know he has one, they wait for further orders.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Didn't think authorization was something that cops waited for before shooting someone.
Might have been scared to act without someone higher up ordering it, lest it go wrong and he gets blamed.

Many cops are less familiar with the law than you would think, he might not have known what he was supposed to do.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
How do you know the maniac with the gun isn't just some ordinary Texas citizen exercising his constitutional right to carry?

RedDevilQuebecois

Basically, grieving families are left alone while 2 groups with interests are in a tug-of-war as to which one is more convincing than the other rather than finding out the hard and cold truth.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The 77 minute long video that will be made public on Monday will be something…

Longer clip…

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah made my heart sink. Absolutely horrific.
A part of me thinks that the video should be released with nothing edited out of it, including the screams. Unedited, it would go a long way vis à vis the ineptitude of the response & shocking more gun people into realizing that common sense laws are needed. Editing the screams sanitizes & sterilizes the video & leaves out important context.

RedDevilQuebecois

Lawrence gives us his thoughts about how he felt when he watched the video. I can only imgaine how haunting it must have been for those who had to watch the whole thing with unedited sound.:(:(:(

The cops did not do what they were trained for, but they really knew what stood in front of them. If they could not overcome the fear of an AR-15, teachers would not even make it any better even if they followed the silly idea of being armed. The sound of an AR-15 is psychologically as devastating to the trained ear as the sound of the MG42 for those who served in WW2 in Europe.

Simbo

Was it actually an AR-15 used? Sounded like full auto to me, not semi.

On the police: they show up fairly quickly, approach the shooter, take fire from what appears to be a full auto rifle, shit their pants and retreat to a safe distance. That's reality for you, anyone else would do the same unless they've prior experience, kids involved or not. People watch too many movies.

Of course its ridiculous its then took them an hour to make a move.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just to add a bit more levity to this horrific thread topic and recent news....

Found in @Dr. Dwayne 's ""special folder"

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Should be played on a loop out of loudspeakers outside the home of every politician taking money from the NRA in my opinion
Agreed. Along with mandatory video of police forces being too scared to engage with an armed shooter every time some idiot goes for the “good guy with a gun” line.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed. Along with mandatory video of police forces being too scared to engage with an armed shooter every time some idiot goes for the “good guy with a gun” line.
100%. Someone much smarter than me should create a Twitter bot that just searches that phrase and responds with that footage.

RedDevilQuebecois

And somehow they did not have sharpshooters among them? Jesus wept.

I looked at the school building layout time and time again, and there are at least 2 rooftops nearby with a good vantage point and a view on that classroom. Any police force involved could have had sharpshooters to be both their eyes and the first response (if necessary). I'm just baffled that there was no mention of a single police sharpshooter anywhere.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
"At Robb Elementary, law enforcement responders failed to adhere to their active shooter training, and they failed to prioritize saving innocent lives over their own safety,” the report said.
“Other than the attacker, the Committee did not find any ‘villains’ in the course of its investigation,” the report said. “There is no one to whom we can attribute malice or ill motives. Instead, we found systemic failures and egregiously poor decision making.”
Arredondo also tried to find a key for the classrooms, but no one ever bothered to see if the doors were locked, according to the report.

“Arredondo’s search for a key consumed his attention and wasted precious time, delaying the breach of the classrooms,” the report read.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That doesn’t seem that high numbers to be such a chunk of the budget, I bet they’ve got all kinds of crazy toys.
Absolutely no doubt they do.

I don’t think this number is reflective of the school district force, so there’s five or six more.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The Uvalde schools police chief Pete Arredondo wrote the district's active shooter response plan which assigns himself as incident commander, but testified that he did not consider himself to be in charge on the day.