19 children and 2 teachers killed in Texas school shooting (24 May 2022)

RedDevilQuebecois

Sigh…

This goes straight back to a number of posts I've made either here, in the gun control thread, or in the bad American cops thread when it comes to cops and guns. If you're not mentally fit enough to carry a gun as a cop, you better stick to administrative services at best. Guns should only belong to those who are both physically and mentally fit to serve on the field following regular assessments, not to cowards.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I know this point has been made ad nauseam but this school shooting really should finally put to bed this stupid PR marketing scheme the NRA cooked up about needing a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I know this point has been made ad nauseam but this school shooting really should finally put to bed this stupid PR marketing scheme the NRA cooked up about needing a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Uvalde was being used to argue for more powerful weapons in police forces.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Mounted machine gun turrets in each classroom and at each end of each corridor?

If not why not? Are you not in favour of protecting the children?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Wouldn’t be surprised if Uvalde was being used to argue for more powerful weapons in police forces.
That wouldn't surprise me at all, as the reaction to previous school shootings have been suggestions to arm the teachers, have an armed security guard at each entrance etc. A couple of politicians even tried to suggest having a 'responsible student' in each class room be armed as the designated protector.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Mounted machine gun turrets in each classroom and at each end of each corridor?

If not why not? Are you not in favour of protecting the children?
You liberal commie ****. Whats wrong with a low yield nuke underneath the bleachers............Thatll sort those pesky drag queens good.

Anustart89

So all we need is a bunch of good guys with guns and perpetrators with guns that the good guys with guns aren't afraid of. But then again we need to let people have their guns. Aargh, quite the conundrum we have there.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Frontline PBS always handles topics like this with care & objectivity. They have been an asset to journalism for decades. First whole timeline doc I think I have seen out...

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's so utterly fecked that the modmins have to add dates to these thread titles, because otherwise everyone would naturally assume it's a new horrific mass-shooting.

RedDevilQuebecois

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
The DOJ has made their report on the Uvalde school shooting response public today.

These are the key takeaways from the US Justice Department’s review of the Uvalde school shooting response (CNN)
  • Failure to recognize active shooter situation;
  • Failure to take 'courageous action';
  • Failure to secure the crime scene;
  • Failure to establish standard operating procedures;
  • Failure to communicate with families.
Totally pathetic.
We should have more national policing standards. I know some states and local go governments have done a good job requiring those to be improved but there is way too much of a disparity between police departments. I have personally worked closely with some absolutely stellar places that place extremely high demands on their officers and genuinely run a tight ship, and then there are all the others. None of what happened there should be excused away. Imagine if the military operated in a way where people would just refuse to do their job for whatever reason that may be. You can argue there is something to say against that, but in a paramilitary organization that is there to protect public safety, there is little room for dissent.

RedDevilQuebecois

We should have more national policing standards. I know some states and local go governments have done a good job requiring those to be improved but there is way too much of a disparity between police departments. I have personally worked closely with some absolutely stellar places that place extremely high demands on their officers and genuinely run a tight ship, and then there are all the others. None of what happened there should be excused away. Imagine if the military operated in a way where people would just refuse to do their job for whatever reason that may be. You can argue there is something to say against that, but in a paramilitary organization that is there to protect public safety, there is little room for dissent.
I agree with this. I just do not understand how all 50 states have police academies and yet show nothing near like a set of standard practices that can be deemed like an acceptable baseline. I say that the number and the quality of training hours must be standardized. In my home Canadian province of Quebec, all police officers must be trained at the École nationale de Police du Québec (ENPQ) in order to land a job in any police force - municipal or provincial.

When I read the main takeaways for Uvalde, I was irked a lot more at the officers' failure to recognize an active shooter situation (training, FFS!) and the lack of leadership by the branches involved on the scene.