20 years ago tonight

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin

The greatest moment in United's history.

The treble completed, the culmination of a dream season; the coming of age of the Class of '92, Alex Ferguson confirmed as one of the greatest managers of all time, the zenith of United's success. For those of us of a certain age, no game of football will ever quite compare.

Where were you when Ole scored the winner?

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
My dad & I just didn't say anything when Ole scored - it was too amazing (the comeback), and so soon after Teddy scored. It seemed like a dream. Unbelievable...still can barely believe it actually happened.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
My dad & I just didn't say anything when Ole scored - it was too amazing (the comeback), and so soon after Teddy scored. It seemed like a dream. Unbelievable...still can barely believe it actually happened.
Same actually, me and my father were still celebrating the equaliser.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How fitting that this was the last CL final of the 20th century.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I was 8 and remember those last 3 minutes like they were yesterday. My dad was at work, owned a shop in those days. We scored, I screamed and ran around the house. Phoned dad and told him, he has his TV on watching it anyway. Sat back down and we had another corner.

Wash rinse and repeat.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The Promised Land: Manchester United's Historic Treble – extract

Schmeichel and Stam both spent time in the army, Schmeichel not turning professional until he was 24, while Stam didn’t play in the Eredivisie until he was 23. Irwin was given a free transfer by Leeds; Keane learnt that he was too small, writing to, and unwanted by, every top division English club, only signing for semi-professional Cobh Ramblers at the age of 18, before suffering a career-threatening injury as he reached his peak. Cole was released by Arsenal, rejected by Fulham, then ridiculed by the media and the England manager; Sheringham didn’t play in the top division until he was 26 and Europe until he was 31. Before signing for United, Solskjaer was turned down by Hamburg, Cagliari, Manchester City and Everton, while Yorke, born in a non-footballing country, sold land crabs to tourists to pay for boots, saw the game as a “way out” of his overcrowded home and slept with a football in his bed until he was 25. They played like they could not believe their good fortune.

Even among the homegrown players, there was a mental toughness and an appreciation. The Neville brothers, dubbed the Nervous Brothers by Scholes, doubted themselves and devoted their lives accordingly, and though Giggs and Beckham were always going to make it, both suffered formative and exceptional adversity; not just the most fortunate natural talents of their generation, but also the most determined.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/10/manchester-united-historic-treble-extract

SharpshooterTom

That midfield quartet of Giggs-Scholes-Keane-Beckham was still the greatest quartet of English league history IMO, including our 07-09 sides any of City sides.

madzo2007

I was 13 at the time and its still the only time I have near cried with happiness, bottom lip was going mad after I'd finished jumping on the sofa when Ole scored. Still up there with the greatest 3 minutes of my life.

I'm sure like most of us still remember alot of the commentary.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
That midfield quartet of Giggs-Scholes-Keane-Beckham was still the greatest quartet of English league history IMO, including our 07-09 sides any of City sides.
I agree with that, and the fact we still turned it around to beat Bayern in the final without Scholes and Keane is quite remarkable.

AndyMUFC

I was a couple of years late to the party unfortunately in watching football but I've watched the final in full tonight and it's magical now so I can only imagine what it was like back then.

We struggled to create without Beckham on the right against a disciplined Bayern but kept going until the end. The sort of comeback that has come to define the club.

Michael T

What a season, what a club, what a night! I chuckled for weeks afterwards and still do whenever I see replays.

God, I love Manchester United; but, for the life of me, I can't seem to summon up much enthusiasm this summer - yet.